The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

How much was the service for the old Rolex?  I just took my President in and got a shock.  I had never had it serviced in 15 years and it just stopped running one day.  Apparently, I should have had it cleaned and serviced every 3 years.  The quote is $1,400 to get it going again.

Basically had it rebuilt and added the lizard strap from Rolex for ~1,300. No idea if it helped that I work in NYC and was able to take it to their service HQ or not.

Love love love the look of the 14060. I can get past the $9,000 price tag, but $1,000 service every few years is ridiculous.
Make the service $300 and I might bite.

I think you can budget ~$800 every 4/5 years and be fine TBH. My Speedy cost about that and I waited five years. Not ideal, but the watch is fine.

8 hours ago, texanbychoice said:

Basically had it rebuilt and added the lizard strap from Rolex for ~1,300. No idea if it helped that I work in NYC and was able to take it to their service HQ or not.

My local guy told me to expect about $400 and some change to service my old 1978 Date.  He's not a certified Rolex dealer, but he does good work.  Omegas run me about $200 or less  to service with him.  He told me Rolex parts are designed to wear, which requires they be replaced at each service.  I'm planning to take mine in soon.  40 years and running strong.  About time for its first service I suppose.  My Omega Constellation just got its first service after 58 years.  Needed a few parts, but mostly was fine. 

He's not fast, but he's very good and super reasonable.  Rolex probably wouldn't touch my watch anyway since the original band is long gone. 

https://imgur.com/a/oSxMejZ

Just traded with my old man. Love this watch. Taking it in for servicing in Houston at Valobra’s. They quoted me $750 or so and the guy will take the whole thing apart, check to see what needs to be replaced and take care of it. I’ll upload another picture when Ive got it back.

I know the spring under the bezel needs to be replaced as the bezel turns freely but doesn’t click. I’m assuming that’ll be about $400. Joking.

• Like 1

My local guy told me to expect about $400 and some change to service my old 1978 Date.  He's not a certified Rolex dealer, but he does good work.  Omegas run me about $200 or less  to service with him.  He told me Rolex parts are designed to wear, which requires they be replaced at each service.  I'm planning to take mine in soon.  40 years and running strong.  About time for its first service I suppose.  My Omega Constellation just got its first service after 58 years.  Needed a few parts, but mostly was fine. 
He's not fast, but he's very good and super reasonable.  Rolex probably wouldn't touch my watch anyway since the original band is long gone. 

You just had your Omega serviced for the first time in 58 years and it cost you $200?

Is his name Stan by chance?

5cb27b5c0f8050d4d5cc4b425adf1cf9.png
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Just traded with my old man. Love this watch. Taking it in for servicing in Houston at Valobra’s. They quoted me $750 or so and the guy will take the whole thing apart, check to see what needs to be replaced and take care of it. I’ll upload another picture when Ive got it back.

I know the spring under the bezel needs to be replaced as the bezel turns freely but doesn’t click. I’m assuming that’ll be about $400. Joking.

Bluesy is classic

2 hours ago, texanbychoice said:

You just had your Omega serviced for the first time in 58 years and it cost you $200?

Is his name Stan by chance?

5cb27b5c0f8050d4d5cc4b425adf1cf9.png

Nice!  Dealing with car dealerships for service versus finding an honest, independent service center is a good analogy.

This particular Omega was my dad's.  It sat in a safe deposit box for a good portion of its life.  He'd wear watches for a while, buy a new one, and toss the old one in a drawer.  I discovered this one about two years ago.  1960 Omega Constellation.  It needed a couple of parts replaced (spring among them), but, apart from some wear, it was in pretty good shape.  All Omega parts. 

I have a 1959 Seamaster that had been serviced more recently (bought it on ebay about 6 years ago), but which was speeding up.  I think he charged me $175 on that one.  It was kind of my test run with him.  I was not disappointed. 

Knowledgeable, competent horologists are out there and, given what the manufacturers charge, are well worth seeking out.

/His name is Aaron

//imagine Kip from Napoleon Dynamite

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

In 2015 I turn my similar Sub to Dallas Rolex center since it had completely stopped. 900 or so for entire service and 2 year warranty.  I am not sure how to choose an independent but make sure they can get genuine Rolex parts

Edited by AUinHsv
  • Like 1

Love me some Rolex, have purchased 3...a datejust stnlss/gold ea for me & my wife, a president that was stolen at the gym. Sadly I have retired the two non functioning dj's due to all too frequent "biodegradability" issues having already 'repurchased' thru maintenance over the years. Not blasting, it is what is it & I knew it going in.

I sold off a couple watches and have about $2k for my next watch.  I have an Oris 65 for my diver already and like it a lot.  I have decent field type watch with a black dial that I like and a couple smaller dress type watches (old seamaster and an oris date pointer).  I'm having hell deciding on what to buy next.  I wan't something for more of an everyday work watch.  Been considering an aqua terra, but they are a little out of the budget usually.  Also looked at Stowa, but I can't decide if they are a little boring for what I want.   $2k seems to be kind of a dead spot for good value on watches.  Maybe I just need to bump up the budget, but $2k for a watch already seems like a lot to me when I really think about it.   Any other suggestions for when you bastards are slumming it and not wearing a Daytona on one wrist and a PP on the other?

I need a shaggy "not quite poors showing pictures of my skx007, but also not dropping $5k" watch thread.

18 minutes ago, Tap said:

I sold off a couple watches and have about $2k for my next watch.  I have an Oris 65 for my diver already and like it a lot.  I have decent field type watch with a black dial that I like and a couple smaller dress type watches (old seamaster and an oris date pointer).  I'm having hell deciding on what to buy next.  I wan't something for more of an everyday work watch.  Been considering an aqua terra, but they are a little out of the budget usually.  Also looked at Stowa, but I can't decide if they are a little boring for what I want.   $2k seems to be kind of a dead spot for good value on watches.  Maybe I just need to bump up the budget, but $2k for a watch already seems like a lot to me when I really think about it.   Any other suggestions for when you bastards are slumming it and not wearing a Daytona on one wrist and a PP on the other?

I need a shaggy "not quite poors showing pictures of my skx007, but also not dropping $5k" watch thread.

I wear my PP on my dick, thank you very much.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tap said:

I think Sinn is the only thing in that range that warrants not just getting a seiko. At $3k, you get to Tudor and some Omegas. 

14 minutes ago, EdTomBell said:

I think Sinn is the only thing in that range that warrants not just getting a seiko. At $3k, you get to Tudor and some Omegas. 

Kind of what I was thinking.  Tempted to just get a power reserve Seiko cocktail with the white dial and a baby mm and call it a day.  Nothing much interests me even at the $3-4k range unless I could find a nice aqua terra or maybe a sea master 300 (probably cost more though).  Tudor 58 would be cool, but they don't seem to be around much yet and are way marked up when they are.   That or just leave the watch stash put away for now until one of you guys have a garage sale.  I figure that PP having touched G650s dick has to drop the price down quite a bit, like used Chris Ward or Squale range.

5 hours ago, Tap said:

Ball

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Tap said:

Kind of what I was thinking.  Tempted to just get a power reserve Seiko cocktail with the white dial and a baby mm and call it a day.  Nothing much interests me even at the $3-4k range unless I could find a nice aqua terra or maybe a sea master 300 (probably cost more though).  Tudor 58 would be cool, but they don't seem to be around much yet and are way marked up when they are.   That or just leave the watch stash put away for now until one of you guys have a garage sale.  I figure that PP having touched G650s dick has to drop the price down quite a bit, like used Chris Ward or Squale range.

Hell, I was gonna raise the price.

Tbh, Seiko is one of my top three. I love the shit out of some Seiko.

2 hours ago, Tap said:

I have a sub, otherwise that bb58 would be my next target. Prices will come down to earth in a few months, I think.  

You see used 300s for under $3500 occasionally.  I don’t love the polished bracelet links, and it’s a little tall, but it’s a great watch. 

Check out Brellum. Chronographs, but very sharp looking. Might be a little tall for everyday wear if you wear cuffed shirts. I think they are under $2,500. Valjoux 7750 movement.

Also, I love my new Farer. Also a Chrono with really unique colors. I think it was about $1,900. Under 13mm which is good for a Chrono and firs most of my dress shirts.

Just saw a Tissot PRS 516 that is a little sportier with a really unique subseconds movement for your about $1,100. Not sure if it's available yet though.

5 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Ball

They sent me an email re: another limited edition (1000 per type, so it isn't super exclusive) watch they've come up with.  The last two have been diver types, so I've been having a hard time laying off.  Interesting thing about this one is they've stuck an in-house COSC certified movement with an 80h power reserve in it:

https://shop.ballwatch.ch/rc18 

The temperature scale on it is odd, but a regular three hand one is tempting.  Good price too.  

Edited by MadBurgerMaker

8 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

I'm having hell deciding on what to buy next.  I wan't something for more of an everyday work watch.  $2k seems to be kind of a dead spot for good value on watches.  Maybe I just need to bump up the budget, but $2k for a watch already seems like a lot to me when I really think about it.   Any other suggestions for when you bastards are slumming it and not wearing a Daytona on one wrist and a PP on the other?

Nomos for dress

Sinn tegimented for sport

Damasko for beating the fuck up

8 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

As an aside, anyone purchased from Takuya? He's got a few things I'm looking at and since I believe he's in Houston I would like to actually try them on before making a decision. Does he do that for locals?

I bought a watch from him a couple of years ago. No issues, and he’s got a good reputation on watch forums. At that time, he was willing to meet in Houston (I didn’t, though). 

11 hours ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

They sent me an email re: another limited edition (1000 per type, so it isn't super exclusive) watch they've come up with.  The last two have been diver types, so I've been having a hard time laying off.  Interesting thing about this one is they've stuck an in-house COSC certified movement with an 80h power reserve in it:

https://shop.ballwatch.ch/rc18 

The temperature scale on it is odd, but a regular three hand one is tempting.  Good price too.  

Now I’m all horned up for the black face/bevel with date window on black rubber.

thanks

sinn vs ball - the build quality on my ball was light years better than my sinn. Putting on the sinn after wearing the ball, it just felt cheap.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Now I’m all horned up for the black face/bevel with date window on black rubber.

thanks

sinn vs ball - the build quality on my ball was light years better than my sinn. Putting on the sinn after wearing the ball, it just felt cheap.

wow, what was it that you felt made the ball a better build ?

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

wow, what was it that you felt made the ball a better build ?

I wish I had more color on the feeling, but my sinn (it was a panda dial with 3 sub dials and rotating bezel) just felt cheap. My Ball is just a tank of a watch...ended up selling everything I owned because the Ball never left my wrist.

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I wish I had more color on the feeling, but my sinn (it was a panda dial with 3 sub dials and rotating bezel) just felt cheap. My Ball is just a tank of a watch...ended up selling everything I owned because the Ball never left my wrist.

The Balls are a heavy watch, which I always like. I have the same feelings about my Sinn U2, it'll drag you to Davey Jones locker in the surf.

IWC all day, every day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As soon as I put this on I felt it for sure.

The JLC Polaris is fucking fine though.

I tried on the Bulgari Octo Finismo which is one I thought I would love but it's just too thin. The Roma was a much better fit for me.

That said, the only watch I've put on that gave me the same feeling as the Spitfire was the VC Overseas and that isn't in the budget right now.

May have to go back tomorrow and test drive more in depth without my daughter in tow.

Still think IWC is the right choice. Outside of a Daytona, there are only 1, maybe 2, rolexes that I think are worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This would be the only Rolex I'd get. Just not interested in them. I will say I've tried in the Explorer II and I liked it more than I thought. But not going to get a Rolex.

7 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

It's a beautiful watch. I love the slate but they didn't have blue to compare. My main hesitation at this point. That and intense desire for an Overseas. Will go back tomorrow and compare again because the Polaris is damn fine too.

Well, now that you mention it, you really should get an Overseas.