The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

Unless your watch don't get dings, I'd say go for it.
Do AD's have the ability to provide discounts? I know they can work on the tax if it's being shipped out of town.

I'll definitely ding it, I plan on wearing it. I also plan on getting an Overseas at some point in the next year or so, and this dealer is where I'd go. I honestly would probably go through an AD for a piece like that so this would be a good way to develop that relationship as well. Just not sure if that is actually worth anything if they can't make a deal. Can they throw in a free servicing or something?

Just now, HoustonHorn said:

Do AD's have the ability to provide discounts? I know they can work on the tax if it's being shipped out of town.

I'll definitely ding it, I plan on wearing it. I also plan on getting an Overseas at some point in the next year or so, and this dealer is where I'd go. I honestly would probably go through an AD for a piece like that so this would be a good way to develop that relationship as well. Just not sure if that is actually worth anything if they can't make a deal. Can they throw in a free servicing or something?

AD's can do whatever they want regardless of what they tell us rubes...... errr customers.  I'd talk to him right now about the package deal price for both.

ADs can work on price if you pay cash instead of credit. Or if they have something they want or need to move. Sales tax is more difficult these days if buying new. If you have an AD in your state, it’s unlikely you can buy out of state and save the sales tax.

I bought my Overseas from the boutique in Costa Mesa and saved 5% on sales tax by wiring the cash but still had to pay the Texas sales tax.

Couldn’t find the watch in the US and didn’t want to mess with international sellers on Chrono24 with the uncertainty over customs and duties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

AD's can give whatever deal they want, but developing the relationship is key. I usually get ~20% off list from my AD depending on the watch.

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

AD's can do whatever they want regardless of what they tell us rubes...... errr customers.  I'd talk to him right now about the package deal price for both.

I wish I could swing a package deal right, but leaning towards the IWC for now because 1)its fucking beautiful and a great watch and 2) the Overseas is 20k more which isn't out of the budget, but isn't in the budget right now. Upcoming bonuses and what not would make it an easier purchase next year.

So would the approach be, "I'll pay full value for the IWC now, but next year when I'm interested in getting the VC next year, we work something out that's a little more in line with "market" prices?" The $1.5-2k now is basically a drop in the bucket for the Overseas and gives him some more wiggle room. Or do I take a harder line an say "cut me a deal today on the IWC and when I'm ready to get the VC I'll come back to you?"

Other than my wife's watch, I haven't had much dealing with ADs - and all they were willing to do was remove the tax if I had it shipped somewhere else. Saved a nice amount of money, but wasn't really a deal. Pretty much everything else I've purchased has been 3rd party or direct from the company, i.e., microbrands.

I appreciate the info.

Go in with cash and negotiate the best deal you can right now on the IWC. When you go back, negotiate the best deal you can on the VC ("Hey, still love the IWC I got here last year." -points to watch on wrist). I think trying to tie a potential future sale to the current one is a fools errand. 

21 minutes ago, gasman said:

Go in with cash and negotiate the best deal you can right now on the IWC. When you go back, negotiate the best deal you can on the VC ("Hey, still love the IWC I got here last year." -points to watch on wrist). I think trying to tie a potential future sale to the current one is a fools errand. 

Would like to get the points on the credit card, and then pay that off with the slush fund. But I get what you're saying and they may be a little more willing to deal if its cash vs credit since they already eat some of the fees.

31 minutes ago, gasman said:

If its not in the foreseeable future no. Cash is king I'd have saved 25% and both the slightly used watch and the. worry about the subsequent purchase later.

Just now, HoustonHorn said:

The good thing is I was talking with the Director of Sales, so hopefully he has some discretion. I may also see if he'll let me walk out with the watch and ship the box out of state to avoid taxes.

Wear a watch and swap it for the one that's bankrupting your kids college fund.

Would like to get the points on the credit card, and then pay that off with the slush fund. But I get what you're saying and they may be a little more willing to deal if its cash vs credit since they already eat some of the fees.

You can almost always get 2-5% off paying cash. Doubt your credit card points are worth the floor on that discount.

Not a bad idea. Luckily the kids are taken care of.

The slush fund is truly that...just a way to pay for things that may be more expensive than my wife would be comfortable with spending. I don't question her purchases of shoes and boots and whatever. She doesn't question my purchases and as long as she's ok with actual amounts coming into the bank account from my side. I'm good with the arrangement, even if I shave a little off the top. She's an accountant and in charge of the money - if she wanted to find out how I afforded her watch or any of mine, she could. And she doesn't and for that I love her even more.

But there's no reason to overpay, either.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

You can almost always get 2-5% off paying cash. Doubt your credit card points are worth the floor on that discount.

I think the plan is to walk in with cash and just say that I'm ready to buy, but there's a deal online for $2k less after taxes are considered and see if there's anything he can do to lessen that gap.

1 hour ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

1364a531bd7592e9e2eb762c8feedd2d.jpg

And then get your Overseas. I haven’t worn anything else since I got this and keep switching out the bands. Back to the bracelet.

Twas a rubber strap weekend here.

20181021-074441.jpg

• Like 1

I'm torn on the dual time and the Chrono for sure. I really need to be able to try them on side by side. I like the cheering, just not sure I like it that much more.

When I go in I'm definitely going to try on the VC again and I might just decide to go with that instead of the IWC. The purchase will still have to wait a few months though.

Gorgeous watches guys, thanks!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, huge said:

What’s the difference between that and the Pilot Chrono these days?

Dial and 70hr reserve?

The bracelet and slate grey dial. They have downgraded all of the Pilot Chronos to a IWC-adjusted ETA movement vs. an in-house movement. Those movements are only in the Big Pilot watches. Lose the 7 day PR, for 44 hours. Sucks, but that's the tradeoff compared to $13k vs. $6k.

Been waiting on this from Singapore. Should be here any day now. (Sorry for all you rich assholes having to look at this slum. Also, thanks to whoever made the Ball suggestion. I chatted with their customer service to verify this watch was legit and their service was great. watch.)6889af83539d56cfe56744aa57c5cb2e.jpg

• Like 5

On 11/2/2018 at 9:22 AM, huge said:

Took the Pelagos to Zadok to see if they can fix the face without shipping it to Rolex.

Fingers crossed.

They give you a price that you were OK with? They quoted me what I consider a "fuck you" price to service my Stowa (basic ETA movement). I've spent a lot of money there in the past and been pretty happy but they were way off from a few other places around town.

On 11/5/2018 at 9:04 PM, cabowabo said:

Any of my fellow watch fanatics ever taken a dive into Doxa? I'm getting enchubbed over this 1200t.
fda15edb37ed43272ec553a15a1e1a9d.jpg

Something about this looks off to me, like it's a Photoshop or something. Weird perspective?

1 hour ago, Tap said:

Ball showed up yesterday 7776420f00846a428ad73fff923bca7a.jpg

Damn nice looking watch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

They give you a price that you were OK with? They quoted me what I consider a "fuck you" price to service my Stowa (basic ETA movement). I've spent a lot of money there in the past and been pretty happy but they were way off from a few other places around town.

They are seeing if they can re-attach the face to the legs and the price on that was fine.

Then they want to do a $500 overhaul and I am going to try to stop that but we will see.

On 11/5/2018 at 9:04 PM, cabowabo said:

Any of my fellow watch fanatics ever taken a dive into Doxa? I'm getting enchubbed over this 1200t.
fda15edb37ed43272ec553a15a1e1a9d.jpg

See one in the wild once, really liked them.

Also look at Aquadive Bathyscape for another option.  Like this

Image result for aquadive bathyscaphe orange

Yeah, the Aquadives are really cool.  I've seen that Aquadive in bronze and it is sweet, but I have my bronze itch scratched with the Tudor Black Bay bronze. There are also a couple of Doxa 1200t's on watchrecon with the blue dial, but buying that watch with a blue dial would be like buying a Speedmaster with a sapphire crystal.