The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

Just picked up this brass Ventus Mori. It came with three straps (though only one buckle?!) and I wasn't crazy about any of them, plus the buckle that it came with sticks out oddly, so I just put it on a leather NATO.

Never used a NATO strap before and am not sure if I care for how high it makes the case sit, not do I know whether I'll get used to the way it feels on my outer wrist when I'm typing at my desk.

But other than the strap crap, I really like it.

f233cc5cd312de9b763b0fd2cc8021b1.jpge374180d24083cd5212096d86582e6ca.jpg7585a7d24eaa4b474e9875d4f1ac4fd3.jpg

On 4/7/2018 at 5:36 AM, gasman said:

I am also interested in this. I am in DFW, but my FIL's 80th birthday is coming up and I would love to get his old Acutron back in action for him. I'll look into Little Watch Shop. If anyone else has a recommendation, I would appreciate it. 

Update on the Little Watch Shop: They were able to get my FIL's watch up and running for less than $40. It needed a good cleaning and a battery swap. He has had this thing sitting in a drawer for 10 yrs. Prior to that, he wore it every day from college graduation until the day it died. Before this, I couldn't find another watch shop willing to even touch it. I am excited to get this thing back to him in working order.  Can't recommend this place enough. Great knowledgeable people. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2018 at 12:19 PM, Jimbaround said:

My poor Sinn has pretty much been in Germany since October.  I sent it in for repair, received back in Feb and still wasn't fixed.  Sent it back and got the "you'll get it back in 8 to 12 weeks."

I love what Sinn is doing, and own one old Sinn 303 soccer chrono, but there are so many poor service experiences that it's really making me wary of buying a new one. Wish they'd get their act together (and get more stocking distributors) to make it easier to be a fan. Went to the "main" distributor shop in Taipei a few months back, and the selection was lousy. Wanted to see some of the "other" color 556 dials, nothing to be had except one anniversary 556. I've been passively shopping for another one for 3 years now.

Wolf Cub winders are up on Massdrop right now. These are the ones that you can daisy chain together - not all of the Wolf models come with the proper adapter cords to connect multiple units to the same power source (though they all come with the necessary female input on the back.) 

I just picked up another double. 

https://www.massdrop.com/?origin=%2Fbuy%2Fwolf-cub-watch-winder&utm_source=linkshare&referer=8EMLXH

I think I have watch ADD. Was supposed to get a new watch for Christmas. Still haven’t even been to a store. Keep changing my mind what I want and putting it off further. I may have narrowed it down to what I want though. Decisions. 

6 minutes ago, ERhine said:

I think I have watch ADD. Was supposed to get a new watch for Christmas. Still haven’t even been to a store. Keep changing my mind what I want and putting it off further. I may have narrowed it down to what I want though. Decisions. 

Cool story bro 

On 4/25/2018 at 10:08 PM, ERhine said:

Buy one used. Wear it for 6 months. Sell it for basically the same price (if not more in some cases). Rinse and repeat.

This works especially well on the more well known watches (Speedy Pro, Sub, etc) but I've pulled it off on micro brands too (Benarus bronze diver, for example - ended up paying $50 to wear it for the better part of a year). Best flip was a Ball Mad Cow - made ~$250 on it by holding it for a year.

16 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

I be liking the Datejust 41MM in white gold...classy

I like that they are doing the bigger face for a affordable price. My sisters BF who owns a few Rolex’s buys from a place online called bobs watches. Pretty legit deals on there 

Just now, FWD said:

My father passed away last month and I inherited his Rolex. Any Rolex experts know anything about this model? It was probably purchased in the 1980's. It is well-maintained, and he basically never wore it.

img_20180429_134003498_ll.jpg?ssl=1&w=45

Sorry for your loss. That’s a classic watch! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FWD said:

My father passed away last month and I inherited his Rolex. Any Rolex experts know anything about this model? It was probably purchased in the 1980's. It is well-maintained, and he basically never wore it.

img_20180429_134003498_ll.jpg?ssl=1&w=45

Not an expert but that is a very fine watch. 

• Like 1

Cellini

Basically a Rolex dress watch I think.

Here is what they say about them on the website.

The Cellini collection is a contemporary celebration of classicism and the eternal elegance of traditional timepieces, combining the best of Rolex know-how and its high standards of perfection with an approach that heightens watchmaking heritage in its most timeless form.

Wearing a watch isn’t about need, it’s about want. And trust us: you want to be the guy that wears a watch, regardless of how many electronic gizmos you have within arm’s reach. Why? Because wearing a watch communicates the following: “I’ve got things to do, places to be, and I am a goddamned adult.”

http://hiconsumption.com/2015/06/best-mens-watches-under-1000/

Figured I'd post a followup to a question I asked on the old site before it went to shit.

I was shopping for a Lady Datejust for my wife's upcoming birthday (Rolex's pricing on these is a work of evil genius) and thinking AD vs Jomashop.  My experience was that, in Austin, Ben Bridge was willing to basically knock off the tax but wouldn't go any lower, even if I paid cash moneys.  Russell Korman wasn't very interested in dealing (I guess that's what I get for pulling up in my shitty car and being a terrible negotiator), but offered a couple hundred off and would ship out of state to save tax (doesn't do me a lot of good).

Just ordered off of Jomashop.  I'm a bit anxious, but I figure saving $1500 over the AD would cover a couple servicings in case something goes wrong.  Fingers crossed.

5 minutes ago, Damor said:

Figured I'd post a followup to a question I asked on the old site before it went to shit.

I was shopping for a Lady Datejust for my wife's upcoming birthday (Rolex's pricing on these is a work of evil genius) and thinking AD vs Jomashop.  My experience was that, in Austin, Ben Bridge was willing to basically knock off the tax but wouldn't go any lower, even if I paid cash moneys.  Russell Korman wasn't very interested in dealing (I guess that's what I get for pulling up in my shitty car and being a terrible negotiator), but offered a couple hundred off and would ship out of state to save tax (doesn't do me a lot of good).

Just ordered off of Jomashop.  I'm a bit anxious, but I figure saving $1500 over the AD would cover a couple servicings in case something goes wrong.  Fingers crossed.

and you can always sell it if you want, they hold their value well