The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

I'm not in love with yellow-gold anything, or two-tones.  Maybe subtle rose gold if that's the only option available.  But that's just my personal opinion, independent of the horology-historian-collectors-groupthink perspective

ae53402bed5bb5cb5bed15c0de0af3bc.jpg

So is something like this ugly? I can’t decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I will admit I want th Rolex.  I have a Omega and Panerai dive watch but not in love with them with business attire.  Didn’t want another dress watch either.  Figured the Rolex gets me a little of both business and casual.  Actually sub is not my first choice..  prefer a GMT since I travel a lot.

Well you've got two iconic brands already, so if it's a Rolex carry on. It's wear what you like anyway IMO.

16 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

ae53402bed5bb5cb5bed15c0de0af3bc.jpg

So is something like this ugly? I can’t decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like that color, though it's not very dressy.

I don't like the big numbers on the bezel, which isn't dressy either.  (Prefer subdial or innerbezel or secondary hand for 2nd time zone).

Again, all subjective

4 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I was hoping to get some feedback from the Surly watch gurus about two tone watches.  I am considering getting a Rolex professional watch for my collection (something that can go with a suit/sport coat, jeans, or even shorts) and since the stainless steel versions are impossible to find or double their retail value I was thinking of doing a two tone (gold/steel).  Is this a mistake?  Not in style?  Curious if people here would wear a two tone Rolex like a GMT or a Sub.  

Not a fan of gold watches, personally (or the gold/stainless ones).  I went with a Datejust 41 when I was in a similar situation.  Wanted something slightly dressier than a dive watch, but something I can still wear with jeans.  I think it's a nice compromise in that regard.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, huge said:

Where are you, exactly?  Boston?

I have never heard of anyone having a hard time buying a new Rolex.  In Texas anyway.

New sports models from an AD are VERY hard to find. At least that is all I read on some of the Rolex forums. Unfortunately I am not much help on newer Rolex sports models. I just don't like them for a variety of reasons. I am very old school with my tritium Sub from early 90's.  I am not a fan of ceramic bezel inserts - if you smack then it's hundreds for a new one vs the metal one on mine. Plus I am not over endowed with a huge wrist and the newer cases are bigger. Finally I really only like a GMT on a jubilee bracelet.  Like I said - old school

Edited by AUinHsv

2 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

New sports models from an AD are VERY hard to find. At least that is all I read on some of the Rolex forums. Unfortunately I am not much help on newer Rolex sports models. I just don't like them for a variety of reasons. I am very old school with my tritium Sub from early 90's.  I am not a fan of ceramic bezel inserts - if you smack then it's hundreds for a new one vs the metal one on mine. Plus I am not over endowed with a huge wrist and the newer cases are bigger. Finally I really only like a GMT on a jubilee bracelet.  Like I said - old school

The new GMTs are on a jubilee bracelet.  My AD just told me he can help me and get me a Pepsi or Batman and to let him know which I want.  Not sure which color scheme is better.  Opinion?

The thing about two-tone "tool" watches is that the gold sort of belies the utilitarian nature of the watch.  Yes, it is "jewelry," but not gold jewelry.

On Pepsi or Batman, Pepsi is more traditional, but it is a bit loud.  You aren't buying it as a do-everything watch, though, so I think I would go Pepsi.  I'm traditional like that. /noaggy

On 5/14/2019 at 8:47 AM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I will admit I want th Rolex.  I have a Omega and Panerai dive watch but not in love with them with business attire.  Didn’t want another dress watch either.  Figured the Rolex gets me a little of both business and casual.  Actually sub is not my first choice..  prefer a GMT since I travel a lot.

If you are doing the Rolex, get the Daytona. I think those two tones are much better than the Sub.  I bought one for my wife last year and it's a great looking watch.  Haven't been able to get a wear out of it yet though!

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

If you are doing the Rolex, get the Daytona. I think those two tones are much better than the Sub.  I bought one for my wife last year and it's a great looking watch.  Haven't been able to get a wear out of it yet though!

Really always wanted the white faced Daytona but I just tried it on and honestly wasn't a fan.  Felt small on the wrist and my old eyes had trouble reading the dial.  

If you want to nerd out about watch internals and difficult one-off repairs, Watchguy UK has a blog and documents many of his less-normal services in detail. He also is active in the comments at bottom, and freely answers questions as well as sharing sources for tools, parts, etc. He's really an asset to the community.

One example blog entry - you can browse for tons of others:

http://watchguy.co.uk/service-omega-seamaster-chronograph-178-0515-calibre-3303a/#more-13116

• Like 1

https://www.vacheron-constantin.com/en2/watches/overseas/overseas-chronograph-5500v-110a-b147.html

hmmmm

Checked out the blue yesterday and its just amazing but I think I may prefer the brown.

https://www.vacheron-constantin.com/en2/watches/overseas/overseas-chronograph-5500v-110a-b148.html

Also thinking I'm nuts for considering this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

https://www.vacheron-constantin.com/en2/watches/overseas/overseas-chronograph-5500v-110a-b147.html

hmmmm

Checked out the blue yesterday and its just amazing but I think I may prefer the brown.

https://www.vacheron-constantin.com/en2/watches/overseas/overseas-chronograph-5500v-110a-b148.html

I wear my Overseas everyday. I honestly feel bad how much I love it, because all my other stuff sits in a drawer.

2 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

hmmmm

Both are nice, but that brown is gorgeous.

Just now, G650 said:

There's some pretty fantastic brown cloths out there for suits. Depends on how the wearer can pull it off though.

I agree, I like the right shade and or pattern of brown, but true, not everyone can pull it off.  Accessories are key to a brown suit.

• Like 1

I really hate the quote feature on this website. And the delete function for previous replies that you just want to remove the quote.

That said, very good to know that the brown doesn't look as sharp in person. The non-VC pictures I've seen are underwhelming compared to the website.

The brown wouldn't work as an everyday, because I wear a lot of grey/blue suits. But going out it would be something that I could wear pretty much any time. Lot's of jeans and earth-toned shirts.

The blue is pretty amazing and is a more "accepted" color compared to the brown. Less coordination.

Anyone seen the white?

12 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

I really hate the quote feature on this website. And the delete function for previous replies that you just want to remove the quote.

That said, very good to know that the brown doesn't look as sharp in person. The non-VC pictures I've seen are underwhelming compared to the website.

The brown wouldn't work as an everyday, because I wear a lot of grey/blue suits. But going out it would be something that I could wear pretty much any time. Lot's of jeans and earth-toned shirts.

The blue is pretty amazing and is a more "accepted" color compared to the brown. Less coordination.

Anyone seen the white?

I think the right brown works with blue very well. Not so sure about grey though.

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I think the right brown works with blue very well. Not so sure about grey though.

absolutely, but quite honestly I don't want to put that much thought into it. My grey IWC goes with everything. I think blue basically fits the bill for an "every day" wearer as well. People don't question it. Brown is a little different and as much as I like it, blue may be a better option. Or the white, that would fit pretty much any situation I'd find myself.

1 minute ago, HoustonHorn said:

absolutely, but quite honestly I don't want to put that much thought into it. My grey IWC goes with everything. I think blue basically fits the bill for an "every day" wearer as well. People don't question it. Brown is a little different and as much as I like it, blue may be a better option. Or the white, that would fit pretty much any situation I'd find myself.

I'm an IWC man so I'd take most IWC's over the VC any day, especially when you factor in the cost.   That VC doesn't do much for me, nice, but kinda boring IMO. 

Brown, bronze, salmon, all harder watch colors to go with on a daily basis especially when suits are part of the equation.  The blue is very pretty though.

Just now, 52-80 said:

also, i think brown dial should go on a strap

I wear a lot of earth tones outside of work. I also love straps. But in a "sports" watch I want a bracelet. Some of the rubber/sailcloth options are ok too, but leather can't go swimming in the ocean with me.