The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/6/2019 at 3:20 PM, G650 said:

Not a bad call. I've been mostly peak lapels the past 5 years but my last linen I had done notch and flat front/no turn ups as well.

I'd start a suit fanatic thread but I think only you, me and @52-80would post.

I’d post.  And now thanks to our overlords I can easily post some watches.  #winning

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't posted on this thread in a long time, but a while ago on the other site I posted the watch my dad gave me, which was a... 1972 Seiko COSC chronometer, which my mother (deceased since 2001) gave to him as a wedding present.  Very early 70s watch, kinda rounded case.  It's not a "King Seiko" but it has the gold medallion on the back, and is a bit unusual (now at least) in that it is COSC certified, where that's not a thing for Japanese watches any more.  At any rate, I wore it at my own wedding several months back

AWP-43.jpg

the dial is cool, not my picture but it's this in gold - 

8359d9b7c5bdea6faace746aba759fcd.jpg

it hadn't been serviced since 1982ish, when my dad bought his two tone datejust Rolex at the Galleria and they fixed/serviced his Seiko as part of the deal.  Was running a good 30, 35 seconds a day slow.  I recently took it to Austin Vintage Watch and just got it back - it's lost 1 second since Saturday.  Pretty jazzed to have it back in good working order, keeping COSC time again 😎

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, huge said:

Under 40mm is my terribly scientific definition

Gotcha.  I don't think I have any watches under 43 except a Tag F1 quartz (38 mm) I bought back in 1994. It looks damn small on my wrist today.  

Pretty much everything I have now is 43-44, and one 48 that's a Unitas hand wind movement, WWII pilots watch knock off.

31 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Agreed. I'm kind of on the line here. To me the 36mm datejust is close to perfection and the 41 is just gaudy on most people, but again, old. 

If it's gold for sure.  I'm not a jewelry guy so my wedding band, and watches are my only choices. I don't like blingy, busy watches that just scream look at me especially when they get bigger than 43 or so.  The 48 mm pilots watch I wear is very clean, and not too thick, so it doesn't read look at me look at me !!  The only people who usually notice it are other watch folks.  

I'm 56 so I've seen all the trends over the years. I loved clocks, and watches as a little kid (stole dads watch once to brag to the guys, 8-9 yrs old). Got my ass whipped for that, justifiably so, more for lying about it than the actual taking.

13 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

My DJ41 fits me perfectly.  I think the 36mm is an old person's watch.

If you have the hands/wrists for it, do it. My point was that most men don't. However, you are correct that the DJ36 has become an old man's watch. A successful, classy old man. 

15 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

If it's gold for sure.  I'm not a jewelry guy so my wedding band, and watches are my only choices. I don't like blingy, busy watches that just scream look at me especially when they get bigger than 43 or so.  The 48 mm pilots watch I wear is very clean, and not too thick, so it doesn't read look at me look at me !!  The only people who usually notice it are other watch folks.  

I'm 56 so I've seen all the trends over the years. I loved clocks, and watches as a little kid (stole dads watch once to brag to the guys, 8-9 yrs old). Got my ass whipped for that, justifiably so, more for lying about it than the actual taking.

Yeah, that's pretty much me. My biggest is a 44mm Magrette, but I wouldn't wear anything that big with any complications on the face. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

If you have the hands/wrists for it, do it. My point was that most men don't. However, you are correct that the DJ36 has become an old man's watch. A successful, classy old man. 

Gotta make sure it has the fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet, too.  That's specifically why I went for the smooth bezel and oyster bracelet on mine.  I ain't no old man (yet).

14 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Gotta make sure it has the fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet, too.  That's specifically why I went for the smooth bezel and oyster bracelet on mine.  I ain't no old man (yet).

I've been ready to buy the fluted/jub combo, but in vintage form. Haven't found the right example: gray/blue linen dial.  Pretty much a unicorn.  I'll take a linen in standard color from my birthyear but haven't found one in good condition

• 2 weeks later...

While I have been singing the praises of the VC Overseas, I have now become very frustrated with it.  It was purchased Oct 1 last year, and I just today sent it back in for its second service for the same issue.  The minute hand keeps getting stuck at 11:43am and won't budge off of it.  Fortunately the VC Boutique has been accommodating.  They want to look at it closely this time and see if it's just a minor fix or if the entire movement has to be replaced.  And they did confirm that if they repair it and it happens again, they will replace the watch or movement.

Edited by Doug E. Fresh
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

While I have been singing the praises of the VC Overseas, I have now become very frustrated with it.  It was purchased Oct 1 last year, and I just today sent it back in for its second service for the same issue.  The minute hand keeps getting stuck at 11:43am and won't budge off of it.  Fortunately the VC Boutique has been accommodating.  They want to look at it closely this time and see if it's just a minor fix or if the entire movement has to be replaced.  And they did confirm that if they repair it and it happens again, they will replace the watch or movement.

Bummer. I haven't had any issues with mine, and I am pretty hard on it, wear it basically to do anything.

The upside is they will be very accommodating as you note.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/3/2019 at 3:00 PM, Doug E. Fresh said:

Should've bought the PP.

9 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:
3 hours ago, krevo said:
Should've bought the PP.

Is such a thing even possible? Waiting lists for the Nautilus and Aquanaut are years.

He either had a PP or an AP on the list of next watch to buy.  Can't remember.  Swear it was a Nautilus.

Edited by krevo

On 8/25/2018 at 7:00 PM, Doug E. Fresh said:

Alright folks, want your input here. Thinking about the next piece to add to the collection (or two depending on price) and want some input from the group because I’m struggling to decide.

Currently have the following:

44cb0e565690c20b349eaedcd27e30e4.jpgc8d407aa06ae3d9a52007829ebda215b.jpgc1714676c941f74fe77af75f5dec5698.jpgd0938aae0983a0596eec81794d3b2501.jpg

Here’s what’s on my mind lately. Thoughts? Anything I’m missing and should consider?

6da1d95aad9d3ab3f592989a46a09e36.jpg8b20c5fd0e8766a43cfbf031ff88c9dc.jpg7959ea31a6834f01857db6b10e043a23.jpg9ec07ea847c31d310a6848001f40d814.jpga02a1cc552edabb3b6fc42b1067d2e8f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bump.  

23 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:
On 9/30/2019 at 12:33 PM, krevo said:
Should've bought the PP.

Is such a thing even possible? Waiting lists for the Nautilus and Aquanaut are years.

Yeah, the guy at the PP boutique laughed at me when I asked how long the wait list is for the blue Nautilus (5711).