The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

15 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Nice watch.  I thought of buying that exact watch before I decided on my VC.  Something about the blue second hand makes it pop.  Enjoy it in good health.

In good health. Yes please! 

I almost switched to a vintage Patek Philippe but decided first foray into this I’d stick with the above watch. 

1 of 125.  Green dial Royal Oak Chrono.  I don’t think I’ve posted a single piece here but this was a huge get.  Wife modeling it before I get any dainty wrist comments.  Pretty sure this was one of the first delivered.  
Definitely not in the regular rotation but will pull it out for Vegas etc.  Rarely wear all gold and the 5980-1r still will be the go to when I do - have beat the hell out of it and wouldn’t have it any other way.   

4F22AB4F-C41F-4936-A9B1-9B7F03C40CE2.png

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 5/1/2021 at 12:15 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

1 of 125.  Green dial Royal Oak Chrono.  I don’t think I’ve posted a single piece here but this was a huge get.  Wife modeling it before I get any dainty wrist comments.  Pretty sure this was one of the first delivered.  
Definitely not in the regular rotation but will pull it out for Vegas etc.  Rarely wear all gold and the 5980-1r still will be the go to when I do - have beat the hell out of it and wouldn’t have it any other way.   

may want to stay away from 'Rosa' then:  https://www.ktnv.com/news/crime/las-vegas-woman-accused-of-stealing-luxury-watches-from-men-on-las-vegas-strip-arrested-again

According to the arrest report, a man met an unknown female named “Rosa” at the Vesper Bar. Rosa accompanied the man back to his room and they ordered room service, including two margaritas.

Once the drinks arrived, Rosa reportedly became adamant that he drink all of his margarita. The man said he fell asleep soon after and didn’t wake up until 10:30 a.m. Feb. 22. He told police that it was extremely unusual for him to sleep that long and that his body hurt and he felt drowsy. The man noticed he was missing $1,500 from his wallet and his Audemars Piguet Royal Oak watch, which is worth approximately $37,000.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/1/2021 at 12:15 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

4F22AB4F-C41F-4936-A9B1-9B7F03C40CE2.png

You of all people should know the rules around here.

In all seriousness, beautiful piece.  Congrats!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Tried to “bowling ball” your mom.  Her butt hole did that.

Thumb was fielding a ground ball at third that took a bad hop into my chest.  Put a bare hand on it, the wrong way and took the nail off and broke everything up into my metacarpal.

The watch?  Carrying my kids shit into out beach house.  Fuck.

On 5/14/2021 at 7:30 PM, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

The watch?  Carrying my kids shit into out beach house.  Fuck.

Damn, those DSOTM are supposed to be pretty tough.  I had that exact same black black for a year, but traded for the Vintage brown.  Got tired of low vis on the black black.  Hopefully Omega covers that replacement...?

Got a hold of the service center this morning and crossing my fingers that it's not too pricey of a fix.  

Went to M. Robinson to see if they could send it off and they wanted to charge $100 just to ship it off.  Omega will send you prepaid shipping if you call them first.  The jeweler also quoted me a repair time of 3 months and the folks at Omega said it's usually 4-5 weeks, which I can live with.

33 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Got a hold of the service center this morning and crossing my fingers that it's not too pricey of a fix.  

Went to M. Robinson to see if they could send it off and they wanted to charge $100 just to ship it off.  Omega will send you prepaid shipping if you call them first.  The jeweler also quoted me a repair time of 3 months and the folks at Omega said it's usually 4-5 weeks, which I can live with.

Good luck, hope you get that bad boy back quick.

Omega Houston is great in person.  Lost the tachymeter on my Speedy TFWWOM last year...lol it actually took me awhile to notice it was gone, like a few days.  It just looked weird until it finally hit me. Omega replaced it quick but at my cost...I bought it pre-owned.

Jomashop is pissing me off.
So a couple Fridays ago I ordered a Aqua Terra from Jomashop. They give me a "free fast shipping" deal via a discount code. Spoiler alert: its FedEx ground.

Jomashop ships the watch the following week with a scheduled delivery date of Friday. The FedEx tracking follows the package from NYC across the river to New Jersey. Tracking updates stall in NJ around Wednesday of last week. Jomashop link (and FedEx website to be fair) maintains that Friday is the delivery date.

I stay at the office all day Friday waiting for the FedEx delivery that never comes. So I go into the weekend without the watch. FedEx updates still have the latest tracking scan at the same facility in NJ.

Monday morning I try to contact Jomashop and they're closed Mon and Tues for a religious holiday. I had to Google the religious holiday.

Tuesday (yesterday) I can't take it anymore so I call FedEx. I give the package information to a CS representative. Within a half hour I get a call from a FedEx security employee who essentially lets me know that the package was stolen and they weren't surprised based on the history of the NJ FedEx facility which emitted the final FedEx tracking scan. FedEx says they'll look for another scan or delivery within 8 days before they'll declare it lost.

Today is Wednesday. I tried Jomashop three different times by phone. First time on hold for 10+ minutes before I had to take another call. Second time I left the automated call back number for my office line. 90min later someone from Jomashop calls but hangs up when my secretary puts her on hold to transfer the call to me. On third call the call back procedure disconnects me when I try to enter my cell number as the call back number.

I also sent Jomashop a CS email with no response.

So that's where I am. Keep in mind if you consider rolling the dice with a gray market seller.
  • Rage+1 1

On 5/19/2021 at 8:14 PM, bigshark88 said:

So a couple Fridays ago I ordered a Aqua Terra from Jomashop. They give me a "free fast shipping" deal via a discount code. Spoiler alert: its FedEx ground.

Jomashop ships the watch the following week with a scheduled delivery date of Friday. The FedEx tracking follows the package from NYC across the river to New Jersey. Tracking updates stall in NJ around Wednesday of last week. Jomashop link (and FedEx website to be fair) maintains that Friday is the delivery date.

I stay at the office all day Friday waiting for the FedEx delivery that never comes. So I go into the weekend without the watch. FedEx updates still have the latest tracking scan at the same facility in NJ.

Monday morning I try to contact Jomashop and they're closed Mon and Tues for a religious holiday. I had to Google the religious holiday.

Tuesday (yesterday) I can't take it anymore so I call FedEx. I give the package information to a CS representative. Within a half hour I get a call from a FedEx security employee who essentially lets me know that the package was stolen and they weren't surprised based on the history of the NJ FedEx facility which emitted the final FedEx tracking scan. FedEx says they'll look for another scan or delivery within 8 days before they'll declare it lost.

Today is Wednesday. I tried Jomashop three different times by phone. First time on hold for 10+ minutes before I had to take another call. Second time I left the automated call back number for my office line. 90min later someone from Jomashop calls but hangs up when my secretary puts her on hold to transfer the call to me. On third call the call back procedure disconnects me when I try to enter my cell number as the call back number.

I also sent Jomashop a CS email with no response.

So that's where I am. Keep in mind if you consider rolling the dice with a gray market seller.

I really hope you had the package insured....

9c169dd81329f3ddb3ee8637322eabf1.jpg

Where is the best place to figure out how much I could get if I sold this Patek? It was my dad’s watch so I hate to part with it but it sits in its box collecting dust. He would probably tell me to get something you would enjoy. I can’t really find this model anywhere online. I rarely wear it (I wear my Overseas 95% of the time except when I wear my Panerai to go to the pool/beach and am tempted to sell the Patek for something I would wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Where is the best place to figure out how much I could get if I sold this Patek? It was my dad’s watch so I hate to part with it but it sits in its box collecting dust. He would probably tell me to get something you would enjoy. I can’t really find this model anywhere online. I rarely wear it (I wear my Overseas 95% of the time except when I wear my Panerai to go to the pool/beach and am tempted to sell the Patek for something I would wear.

I’ll give you tree fiddy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Bought my first Seamaster from these guys decades ago.  Based out of Austin.  They buy and sell, so they might at least give you a baseline to start figuring out it's value?

Bernardwatch

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/1/2021 at 5:26 PM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

If you’re serious shoot me a PM.  Great game day watch.

50 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Any advice for a watch for a guy (family member) who is graduating from college. This is a gift, and I want it to be something he can wear to work. Can I get something solid in the $500-$750 range?

Hamilton has several good options in that price range. 

https://www.jomashop.com/search?q=hamilton&page=2&configure[hitsPerPage]=24

The first "nice" watch I bought myself when I started working was a Hamilton Jazzmaster for around $500.

Edited by Storm the Field

Check out Zelos and Halios for microbrands. Some really nice looking watches.

The Zelos Horizon 43mm has a great dial. Have to find one because they are sold out.

Hamilton is always a good choice. Tissot and Christopher Ward are also good brands that have solid watches in that price range.

For quite a bit less, a Casioak would be cool.

Seiko SRPD009 or a Seiko Cocktail Time. Seiko had some really good watches for inexpensive that have a lot of hard-core followings.

5 hours ago, JFKFC said:

Any advice for a watch for a guy (family member) who is graduating from college. This is a gift, and I want it to be something he can wear to work. Can I get something solid in the $500-$750 range?

Seiko Monster is always a good choice.  I think I paid $400 for my Orange Monster.

https://cdn2.chrono24.com/images/uhren/17908370-fdb1fvheedmbktksn7v1yjyp-ExtraLarge.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Don't take it to Philly, that's for damn sure.

I've mentioned this brand here before, but Spinnaker is a really great value for a watch with a really good fit, and finish for the price point, and a solid automatic movement. It's offerings tend to be more sport/dive watch styles.  They deliver in insanely quick turn around times.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

15 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Seiko Monster is always a good choice.  I think I paid $400 for my Orange Monster.

https://cdn2.chrono24.com/images/uhren/17908370-fdb1fvheedmbktksn7v1yjyp-ExtraLarge.jpg

You can get Orient divers cheaper than that, and they're every bit as good or better. https://www.orientwatchusa.com/collections/divers

I'm really impressed with my Kanno diver.  Got from amazon for <$200.  Compares really favorably with watches costing 3x as much.

Monsters and SKX007 and variants start losing their appeal over $200, to me.

Edited by TwiceHorn

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

You can get Orient divers cheaper than that, and they're every bit as good or better. https://www.orientwatchusa.com/collections/divers

I'm really impressed with my Kanno diver.  Got from amazon for <$200.  Compares really favorably with watches costing 3x as much.

Monsters and SKX007 and variants start losing their appeal over $200, to me.

To each his own.  I've been wearing my OM all week, leaving the Rolex and the Omega in the watch box.  I love that watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thinking about this watch gift, you probably need to have an idea of what he has and what he likes/wants/needs. Maybe he already has a few divers and doesn't really need another but would really appreciate a Pilots watch (Archimedes/Laco). Or maybe divers are all he wears. Maybe he needs a good every day watch for the office because he only has G-shocks and he's going into the business world. I'd try to pick his brain a little and get some insight into his watch interests. Also consider size. If he's small, you may want to stay around 40mm or less. If he's larger, something 38mm may be too small and you may want to look at 40mm+ or larger.

My personal recommendation is an original Seiko Cocktail time. Its a little dressy, but a fun, stylish watch. Almost everyone likes it, and its niche enough that you won't be guessing diver vs everyday vs pilot vs field vs dress vs.... It's just a fun watch to throw on for dinner/drinks.

Probably around $350-500 online. 40mm so fits most wrists. The strap on it sucks, so I'd suggest getting a third party strap or maybe a mesh bracelet for it. Can probably find something nice for $50 or less.

image.png.fdcde7943c8107310630d77855021d3d.png

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/7/2021 at 6:57 AM, JFKFC said:

Head to the affordable watches thread for some recommendations on watches in that price range. 

Personally I’m a sucker for dive watches. I’m wearing a Seiko Prospex SBDC0051 (top right on the pic). It’s wears big, but is has a gorgeous glossy bezel, beautifully domed sapphire crystal, typical Seiko nuclear lume, Zaratsu polishing and Diashield. I don’t know what’s in the Diashield, but in 11 months of near daily wear, it only has some slight scratches at the latch. 

A+ cuff links. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Breitling vs Omega GO and why?

Both are good brands so that is not an issue.  Omega will have in-house movements and some horological stuff that makes them better and also more iconic watches (moon watch, James Bond watches)  I prefer Omega as their watches tend to be “less busy” and more my style but I can’t stress enough that you should buy the watch that you like the most.  So when comparing between the two you need to figure out which one “calls” to you and that is what I would go with.  Also, are you looking at a dive watch, chronometer, etc…. That would help in figuring out which kind of watch you want and then compare the two choices within each of those brands.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Both are good brands so that is not an issue.  Omega will have in-house movements and some horological stuff that makes them better and also more iconic watches (moon watch, James Bond watches)  I prefer Omega as their watches tend to be “less busy” and more my style but I can’t stress enough that you should buy the watch that you like the most.  So when comparing between the two you need to figure out which one “calls” to you and that is what I would go with.  Also, are you looking at a dive watch, chronometer, etc…. That would help in figuring out which kind of watch you want and then compare the two choices within each of those brands.  

I have a solid swiss military watch dive watch. looking for something to wear with suits and dressy casual. im not interested in anything too over the top. classy and cool but not obnoxious.