All things SNL

Dr. Teeth

12 hours ago, mdmost said:

It might be I’m giddy after Rodgers getting beaten but this SNL with Will Forte has been great. Weekend Update was fantastic.

I was thinking the same thing. I usually not a fan of Forte's schtick, but he was great, the band was great and WU was great. 

The weaving of all the 3 macgrubers was great as he really down the rabbit hole as time wore on/wound down.  W/U was epically good.  Cold opening was one of the best of the season.  That guy's Trump is so spot-on, it's frightening.  

Forte was great all night, even in the not so funny sketches like Gaslight and the kids game show.  

13 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

I had no clue who sang that song, but that band was not what I pictured at all. 

Lead singer is trying so, so, so hard to be the Italian Jarvis Cocker

4 hours ago, Captainant said:

The Macgruber bits were pretty funny lol, I think this was the best episode in quite some time! Yeah the band was definitely something different, but I'm glad it wasn't some shitty monotone pop band playing a ballad like it seems to be every other week

Weekend update, holy shit lol

The MacGruber pre-recorded skits were fucking great! Weekend Update is always my favorite part. Jost and Che are fantastic together.

Edited by C-Man

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Usually annoys me when cast members can’t keep it together on a bit, but Pete’s laughter there added another funny element to the bit for me.  

And not the name of an Italian wrestler.  

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

Usually annoys me when cast members can’t keep it together on a bit, but Pete’s laughter there added another funny element to the bit for me.  

And not the name of an Italian wrestler.  

Guy who just bought a boat is pretty spectacular.  The puns are ridiculous.  

And yes, Pete laughing made it funnier.  

Great episode. I can't believe I was unaware MacGruber is an eight-episode series on Peacock. I can see why they would prefer 30-minute installments to making a sequel which would probably fizzle at the box office and be labeled redundant by critics.

I watched the first two episodes, the opener is very funny and includes a great "recap" song at the beginning by Maya Rudolph. The second one slows down as watching Forte be the same vulgar buffoon over and over gets a little tiring. But the series has the same feel as the movie so I'll keep watching. Probably not worth paying for Peacock unless you also like EPL soccer.

Yeah, I thought Dafoe did a good job but this was one of the flatter ones of the season.  Maybe the last few have just been that good.  W/U was solid, I always like the "Please don't destroy" videos, etc.  Cold Opening and live sketches weren't bad, but nothing really stood out.  

Looks like they're taking some serious time off, but Mulaney returns to host for the 5th time at the end of February.  One of my all-time favorite comics/writers.  

27 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Looks like they're taking some serious time off, but Mulaney returns to host for the 5th time at the end of February.  One of my all-time favorite comics/writers.  

oh yay, that means another opera! those have all been the best skits in decades 🤣🤣🤣

Did anyone else notice Villasenor getting upset over blowing one of her two lines of the night? I think it was during the dog bit, she flubbed, and almost immediately went into visible self-hate mode. Lorne can’t be happy with that. 

I thought the episode was one of the least inspired of the season, though Dafoe was game. Stuff just didn’t land. But I agree Manning was a highlight. 

Davidson has now become like Michael Richards/Kramer, when the audience cheered when he entered the set. BDE is more like MEH.

Featured player assessment: Big-eared Longhorn Dismukes has become a busy guy, so good for him (sorry about the ear comment). That usually means a lot of the stuff he’s pitching is making the show, or others like to write for him. Hook ‘em! JAJ has become a key guy with Biden/Trump, so his place is secure (rightly so). Sherman is killing it with the WU Jost attacks. Punkie? Got nothing for you, she’s occupying a very niche role. Aristotle is one and done.

And sure Katy, those giant flesh-colored shafts with massive balls for legs were mushrooms. Got it.

I think aristotle has a lot of upside actually and can go really far on the show.  But it’s too crowded right now, but IMO he’s certainly in the funnier half of the cast.  
am already giddy for Mulaney to join the five timers club.  

I was in high school when the show started and it took some time to get traction. In fact it got more traction in reruns that first summer. I was working most Saturday nights so it took a while to catch up. Four you youngsters there were mostly four channels and no DVRs or VCRs. You watched shit when it came on.

I’ve not watched it regularly since The Heartman years. So comments are centered on what I know. In college in late 70’s early 80’s it was appointment TV and your dates and frat parties centered a lot on it.

Also, SCTV which followed SNL at that time was far funnier with a monster crew: Candy, Short, OHara, Dave Thomas, Eugene Levy, Andrea Martin. It was perfection:

Most overrated cast member: Chevy Chase. He was the first star but he wasn’t missed.

Best cast: the originals minus Chevy plus Bill Murray. Gilda was a treasure, Lorraine Newman very funny, plus Ackroyd, Belushi, Murray.

Worst cast. A lot of them.

Favorite skits: Coneheads, samurai x, tons of them

Favorite videos: bassomatic, Dick in a Box, mr Bill, Quarry, puppy Uppers

9 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Big-eared Longhorn Dismukes has become a busy guy, so good for him (sorry about the ear comment). That usually means a lot of the stuff he’s pitching is making the show, or others like to write for him. Hook ‘em! JAJ has become a key guy with Biden/Trump, so his place is secure (rightly so). Sherman is killing it with the WU Jost attacks.

those three should make the move to full-time cast members.

still think Chloe Fineman is underused. 

at some point, Cecily Strong, Kate McKinnon, and Aidy Bryant need to move on.  they've been there 10 years.  Keenan's been there forever, too.  it looked like Kate and Cecily were doing goodbyes on the season finale last season, but maybe COVID put a damper on post SNL plans.  either way, need to let some of the newbies shine.

Edited by Jive Turkey

I'm actually surprised at how much sketch-time Chloe Fineman gets.  Probably helps she's cute as hell.  She's funny and all but finally, SNL has lots of funny women from which to choose for sketches unlike the old days where it was 2, 3 tops. 

I think Strong was very close to moving on, but something musta happened between her career offers and Covid.  McKinnon is one of the funniest cast members they've ever had in terms of versatility.  I'm genuinely shocked she hasn't gotten more/better opportunities outside the show.  I think she loves it there and it fits her quirky range, so she'll stick for awhile.  I just don't see her being able to carry a big-budget comedy all by herself, but I mean that in a good way because her comic sensibilities aren't terribly mainstream.  Aidy is still funny to me, especially when working with Kate.  

Heidi Gardner has been a pleasure to watch grow.  She was a complete waste of space to me in her first couple seasons, but she's got great range and can carry a sketch by herself with ease nowadays and her impressions have gotten markedly better.  Same with Ego Nwodim (full disclosure---she is easily the sexiest woman on SNL and of the most attractive cast members ever).  

Melissa Villasenor just never seemed to get it going on the show, not sure why.  She's probably the funniest female cast member in real life, but she never does it for me in sketches.  If she, Strong, Bryant, and Punkie were to all move on this offseason...the show wouldn't miss a beat.

The biggest question mark to me is Sarah Sherman.  She's has just killed it in every tiny role and WU bit she's done so far.  But it's been very limited, can she handle a full sketch load with impressions, physical comedy, host interplay, etc. for a whole season and nail it?  I honestly don't know.  She has potential but Loren has patience for potential like I have patience for the skip ad button for Liberty Mutual insurance.  

Anyway, there's my female cast breakdown that nobody asked for.  I dunno if Loren is keeping the cast so big (21 in all) right now so he kinda play farm club/general manager and curate an absolutely lethal 12-15 for the big 50th and hand that over to a new showrunner?  

Edited by Lobo

On 1/24/2022 at 3:05 PM, Bartles said:

Great episode. I can't believe I was unaware MacGruber is an eight-episode series on Peacock. I can see why they would prefer 30-minute installments to making a sequel which would probably fizzle at the box office and be labeled redundant by critics.

I watched the first two episodes, the opener is very funny and includes a great "recap" song at the beginning by Maya Rudolph. The second one slows down as watching Forte be the same vulgar buffoon over and over gets a little tiring. But the series has the same feel as the movie so I'll keep watching. Probably not worth paying for Peacock unless you also like EPL soccer.

To follow up after watching all 8 episodes on Peacock, it sucked after the first episode. Barely any laughs. Felt like a money grab, which is disappointing considering they had years to kick around sequel ideas and all the main players were back for the series. 

17 hours ago, scottsins said:

I liked MacGruber a lot.

Looking forward to Mulaney tonight.

yeah, Mulaney won't be on until the 26th.  But it's gonna be hilarious as always.  Then he's coming to Austin and we're gonna try to get him to drink and do drugs again. 

20 hours ago, mchookem said:

not tonight...Olympics are preempting for the next couple of weeks.

i have already said:  "Damn, the Olympics are on" 3 times this week looking to tune into regular programing on NBC.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm too busy still laughing at the Podcast video.  Available wherever you buy tactical gear.  

Please don't destroy video was fantastic, as usual.  

Glad to see Mulaney back out there.  Somebody upthread, or a totally different one, posted a video of Mulaney making some 'surprise' appearance on a friend's show (maybe Conan, not sure) and Mulaney looked/sounded really rough like he was off the wagon.  And I agreed.  I think it was from summer of 2020 when people were first getting back out and doing live tapings again.  Sounds like that went on until December and his intervention---his explanation of which is fucking hilarious.  

Wife and I were glad to hear he's got a baby boy now (she's a big fan).  She said something like "I bet he's gonna write the funniest stuff about parenting and kids.  but maybe he'll be one of those comics that doesn't use his kids' material in his act."  And I had to remind her this is the guy who just told us about his rehab, I think we're gonna laugh a lot about his kids.  

47 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'm too busy still laughing at the Podcast video.  Available wherever you buy tactical gear.  

Please don't destroy video was fantastic, as usual.  

Glad to see Mulaney back out there.  Somebody upthread, or a totally different one, posted a video of Mulaney making some 'surprise' appearance on a friend's show (maybe Conan, not sure) and Mulaney looked/sounded really rough like he was off the wagon.  And I agreed.  I think it was from summer of 2020 when people were first getting back out and doing live tapings again.  Sounds like that went on until December and his intervention---his explanation of which is fucking hilarious.  

Wife and I were glad to hear he's got a baby boy now (she's a big fan).  She said something like "I bet he's gonna write the funniest stuff about parenting and kids.  but maybe he'll be one of those comics that doesn't use his kids' material in his act."  And I had to remind her this is the guy who just told us about his rehab, I think we're gonna laugh a lot about his kids.  

a buddy just saw him in sd at the beginning of his new tour and said the whole show pretty much was about his drug problem/rehab.  if i'm in town i'm going to see him at the forum for netflix is a joke fest.

Years ago, A friend back in Chicago that knows  him well, sent me a bit of mulaney's.  it was about a high school or back-from-college  party with the perfume bottle and the friend that steals old photographs.  Had never heard of him before but I knew from that one story this guy would be huge one day.  Had no idea he'd be this big though.  Bummed out I cant make his Cedar Park show next month, but was looking at his tour dates---holy shit, he's on the road for a really long time for a guy with a 3mo baby back home.  

But he's been joking about his addiction issues since I started listening to his stuff.  Then he kinda stopped for awhile, presumably when he had his shit together again, and now sounds like there's another wave of material, particularly from rehab. 

12 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

LCD broke out some old b sides for the show last night. Loved it but kind of odd they were selected with no new album. 

Those weren't B-sides. They were from LCD's debut album. Interesting choices. At first, I thought the first song was a new one as I haven't listened to "Thrills" in years. "Yr City's a Sucker" is a great OG tune, though. Still, odd choices. I love James Murphy and that band though. They put on an unbelievable live sho.

Thought last night's SNL was outstanding from the cold opening with the Ukrainian singers all the way through. "Monkey Judge" was hilarious.

7 hours ago, C-Man said:

Those weren't B-sides. They were from LCD's debut album. Interesting choices. At first, I thought the first song was a new one as I haven't listened to "Thrills" in years. "Yr City's a Sucker" is a great OG tune, though. Still, odd choices. I love James Murphy and that band though. They put on an unbelievable live sho.

Yes I’m aware. I was using B side as a stand in for old tracks most of the viewing audience hadn’t heard. 

I saw them play Thrills at two shows in December. They play the bass hits almost obnoxiously loud with blinding flashes of light throughout the entire song. It’s a fun song but a weird choice for SNL. Yr City is one of my all time favorites, and fortunately it’s become a tour regular.

• Hook 'Em 1