All things SNL

Dr. Teeth

3 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Yes I’m aware. I was using B side as a stand in for old tracks most of the viewing audience hadn’t heard. 

I saw them play Thrills at two shows in December. They play the bass hits almost obnoxiously loud with blinding flashes of light throughout the entire song. It’s a fun song but a weird choice for SNL. Yr City is one of my all time favorites, and fortunately it’s become a tour regular.

Gotcha. "Thrills" was a such a deep dive I thought it was a new song. I hadn't listened to that song in forever. I also felt the mix was odd and James was a little drowned out.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I think Zoe did great, and I’d also like to give her a smooch. And Longhorn Dismukes continues to become more of a factor, good for you, Andrew. 

Smooch?

image.gif.16dab9fbfb97407b6555a04dc5a21ed7.gif

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

About time.

Kenan Thompson Nbc GIF by Saturday Night Live

I’ve never really listened to post malone, but know he is liked by people whose opinion I generally respect. And I have respect on the basis of him covering Sturgill on whatever that was with Dwight Yoakums band. He was interesting/good.

Pushin P from several weeks back is one of the worst performances I’ve seen on SNL.

SNL isn't horrible. It's just become chic to shit on it. Name another weekly live variety comedy sketch show. There isn't one. It's a narrow genera that time has mostly passed by. YouTube and Instagram are the modern versions, but they are a scattered, unguided horde. SNL has Lorne Michaels at the helm. It almost sank when he left briefly. When he finally retires I give it 5 years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

The abduction skit at opening is so tired and worn out. 

Also, why have Yost and Che stopped doing one another's jokes on the season finales?  

It was one of Kate's signature skits. I would have preferred Olga Pavlotsky, but it was her call.

I thought Yost and Che moved that to their Christmas show?

yeah I think the Yost and Che thing was Christmas and got fucked up because that was the Paul Rudd covid ep.

SNL is fine and is not approaching the all time lows of the 80s in terms of its current quality. We're definitely in what should already have been a transition year (and will now become one with the departure of a lot of the vets). I'd say the current era (with probably Kate McKinnon being the dominant player) is at least a tier below the previous one with Wiig, Hader, Samberg, Forte, but that was a great era and probably up there behind the original/second season cast and the early 90s crew. I really like Dismukes (even independent of him being a longhorn), Sarah Sherman is growing on me, the Do Not Delete guys aren't Lonely Island but are funny most of the time - I'm optimistic the show will continue to pump out several to a dozen great skits a year, which is about the most you've ever been able to expect from it.

• Like 1

Sherman has def been a net positive. Bowen Yang is probably my other favorite 'newer' cast member.

agree with Chet above... the past couple of weeks haven't been great, but prior to that it seemed like there were several months of mostly really funny shows... and that includes a couple episodes where i literally had to look the host up bc i had no idea who they were lol.

feels like they really stepped up their game for most of this season. the Trump news segments alone have been incredible ("gimme 60 seconds on the clock" 🤣)

• Like 1

I was under the impression that Cecile, Kate and Aidy were going to leave last year but took their COVID extra year. I haven’t heard anything on Cecily leaving, but it wouldn’t surprise meS. I like all of them but am ready to see them move on.

I hope they don’t try to bring on more cast. It’s a pretty full list as it is and Heidi, Ego, Chloe and Sarah Sherman should be able to carry the female side of the show. The mens side is pretty stacked right now too.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It looks like Hulu lost the next day streaming rights to SNL? 

Hulu is a joint venture started between NBCUniversal (minority owner) and Disney (majority owner). Now they each have their own platforms, Peacock and Disney+. They are stripping content away from the shared platform and Hulu will likely cease to exist in a year or two.

On 10/3/2022 at 9:50 AM, RPM said:

Hulu is a joint venture started between NBCUniversal (minority owner) and Disney (majority owner). Now they each have their own platforms, Peacock and Disney+. They are stripping content away from the shared platform and Hulu will likely cease to exist in a year or two.

Doesn't fox have all its programming on Hulu?

Bowen has been kind of hamstrung by the sketches he was given. Not many roles written for gay asian guy. Now that he's senior cast and getting better roles (like the rainbow fly) he's showing some range. He reminds me of Will Forte in that he has no fear to go there for a skit.

On 10/3/2022 at 7:50 AM, RPM said:

I think Disney will buyout NBC by 2024.  For Hulu

Man I'm bummed it's not on Hulu as i don't have any other way to watch it. And I'm not fucking paying for Peacock. I guess maybe it's on Peacock ad supported? I might download peacock for that.

Keenan is almost never the thing that really stands out and makes you laugh at the sketch - he's been on for 20 years because he's reliable and holds it together. It's a weird niche.