Old Henry (Western, Tim Blake Nelson, Stephen Dorff, Trace Adkins) - October 1

atomheartbevo

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

When did Trace Adkins turn into fat Robert Patrick?

Cast-TraceAdkins-C2.jpg

That's actually the fat man-baby produced by Robert Patrick and Michael Madsen.  

this movie looks awesome.  How do we see it?  

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

this movie looks awesome.  How do we see it?  

Apparently it was easier to fly to Venice, Italy and watch it, than it is finding it in Austin, Texas.

It is a small production, but I'm assuming as it gets closer to October, we'll see some indie theaters show up (if any are still left).

Although it'd make for a good movie at Alamo Drafthouse.

On 9/18/2021 at 4:56 PM, Frank The Tank said:

Dorff did a pretty damn good job in season 3 of true detective. Someone in Hollywood noticed and is giving him a shot at a comeback. They tried to make it work with some doomed Fox show called Deputy, but I hope he succeeds with this. 

Yeah, he was pretty solid in that role.  I never understood that guy.  He just seemed like a douchebag in real life that some casting agent thought would make a good douchebag in movies and voila...he became a star.  Then he disappeared.  but was good in true detective.  Looks ready made for this role, maybe he learned how to act in middle age.  True Detective can do that to a person.  Ask Colin Farrell or Rachel McAdams.  Neither could act their way out of a wet paper bag, but both gripped the shit out their roles in an otherwise clunky script and deserve all the praise they got.  

Tim Blake Nelson's most underrated role is because he's not in it very long is from "Syriana."  Only about 4 scenes, and his tone is wildly different than anybody else in the film but still so pitch-perfect.  Between that and his run of Coen Bros. roles...I'll watch anything he's in forever.  It helps he only picks great projects.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2021 at 7:07 PM, Lobo said:

Ask Colin Farrell or Rachel McAdams.  Neither could act their way out of a wet paper bag, but both gripped the shit out their roles in an otherwise clunky script and deserve all the praise they got.  

You’re wrong and you should feel bad about how wrong you are. Colin Farrell can’t act? Tigerland, Harts War, Phone Booth, Horrible Bosses, In Bruges, Lobster. All before TD3

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

You’re wrong and you should feel bad about how wrong you are. Colin Farrell can’t act? Tigerland, Harts War, Phone Booth, Horrible Bosses, In Bruges, Lobster. All before TD3

He was really great in In Bruges and surprisingly funny in Horrible Bosses (I think passable in the others).  I didn't say he never had a good performance, but the guy's got 63 acting credits over 25 years...and maybe 5 of those deserve over a passing grade.  

I didn't meat to pick on him, his story just reminds me of Stephen Dorff (although Dorff never got the kinda roles mid-career than Farrell did).  But a 'bad-boy' that actually could't act all that well who also gets rebooted in a True Detective season.  I'm hoping Dorff does well in this film.  

Best western in this decade unless there is some sort of renaissance for westerns. And even then it will be tough to top. It's up there with the best of the all timers. It has a lot of Open Range vibes right up until the last act. Even if you aren't a big western fan, this is one of those you have to watch. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Looks fantastic.

And so... his name is Henry McCarty? As in one of Billy the Kid's aliases? And it shows a newspaper clipping with the headline "Lincoln County War"... so TBN is supposed to be Billy the Kid as an old man?

That was his birth name, not an alias.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Just realized they name dropped that in the trailer.  Didn't make the connection.

Even hearing the name it didn't click until they showed the newspaper with the "Lincoln County War" headline. Then I was like.... whaaaaat?  Really looking forward to seeing this.

On 9/14/2021 at 10:35 AM, huge said:

Tim Blake Nelson is an American treasure (other than the Okie part).

Pretty much incapable of a bad performance.

Dude's a Jew from Tulsa that graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Brown in Classics.

About as un-Okie an Okie as you could hope to find.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Dude's a Jew from Tulsa that graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Brown in Classics.

About as un-Okie an Okie as you could hope to find.

LOL exactly.

His uncle is George Kaiser. If you don't know George, he's a billionaire/philanthropist who has literally given hundreds of millions in development money to Tulsa.  His most recent thing was creating a world-class $450mm urban park in central Tulsa called Gathering Place.

So yeah, TBN isn't exactly a red-dirt guy from the panhandle, lol.

I've been lucky enough to meet him at a few non-profit events around town. He's just an over-the-top nice guy. Took time to chat and take pictures with everyone who came up to him. Just an awesome dude.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

LOL exactly.

His uncle is George Kaiser. If you don't know George, he's a billionaire/philanthropist who has literally given hundreds of millions in development money to Tulsa.  His most recent thing was creating a world-class $450mm urban park in central Tulsa called Gathering Place.

So yeah, TBN isn't exactly a red-dirt guy from the panhandle, lol.

I've been lucky enough to meet him at a few non-profit events around town. He's just an over-the-top nice guy. Took time to chat and take pictures with everyone who came up to him. Just an awesome dude.

Holland Hall must be a pretty impressive school.  I have a fraternity brother who graduated there and is one of the sharpest people i know.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Holland Hall must be a pretty impressive school.  I have a fraternity brother who graduated there and is one of the sharpest people i know.

Yeah Tulsa has two really good private schools, Holland Hall and Cascia Hall.  Bill Hader went to Cascia.