Old Henry (Western, Tim Blake Nelson, Stephen Dorff, Trace Adkins) - October 1

atomheartbevo

I liked it and it’s 1000% worth the $6, but I don’t think it’s going to go down as a classic. Some aspects of the shootout didn’t make sense. I didn’t know the reveal was coming so I thought that part was awesome.

“It’d be a damn sight easier if I could feed myself.”

“It’d be a damn sight easier not to feed you atall.”

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2021 at 10:35 AM, huge said:

Tim Blake Nelson is an American treasure (other than the Okie part).

Pretty much incapable of a bad performance.

I saw him being interviewed on ESPN about college football. Apparently he is the sooner equivalent of our $9.95 residents. The dude is hooked on the recruiting game and can't go a day without logging in to track the latest recruiting rumors.

• Hook 'Em 1

I watched this movie over the weekend and enjoyed it. The shootout was awesome and yeah it did get a little John Wickish but it was still awesome. When the son found the newspaper clippings about the Lincoln County war it was obvious we were going to see some FAFO Billy the Kid edition.

The best part for me was the cut between the iconic photo of Billy the Kid and Tim Blake Nelson putting on the hat. He really did look like an older Billy the Kid. It signaled the arrival of the hero and all the baddies were about to regret their decision to fuck around with what they thought was a helpless farmer. Definitely a fist pumping moment.

Only quibble was the final boss fight. It felt like they NERF'd Billy too much to make the fight more suspenseful.

Oh yeah, the son was a poor casting decision. His look, speech and attitude felt like an anachronism as if he was a shitty teenager from our current period.

• 2 months later...

Really liked it. Nelson killed it and Dorff was very good as the long-winded antagonist. 

Funny with two John Wick mentions upthread; my son said that. I didn’t mind atall. 

Curry was a stinking bullet magnet.

Regarding Wyatt - I think he was cast/characterized this way intentionally. Showing Henry trying to raise his boy to be “different” in the changing world (and succeeding). Henry succeeding at shedding his old life and raising a son to thrive in a world that he didn’t feel like he belonged in any more. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with the pretty good.  Very entertaining, good acting.  I didn't keep up with this thread or watch the trailer, so the reveal caught me a little flat-footed, even as obvious as it was. 

The kid was a teenaged Carl.

But I agree that his naivete was intentional, as set forth above.

• 1 year later...

This is one of the most stunning westerns ever produced and Tim Blake Nelson deserves an Oscar for his riveting performance as Henry. In an interview, Nelson stated his goal to dramatically transform the audience’s opinion of his character, “Henry,” from start to finish without them being able to pinpoint where the transformation actually occurred. But when Henry finally has no choice except to fight for his son’s life, you realize that “Henry” has become “the Kid.” Billy the Kid, that is. Run don’t walk to see this movie!