Zee top five jobs in CFB according to Joel Klatt

closetohumping

Top “X” jobs is meaningless message board and Twitter talk. It’s like debating between the number 6 and number 8 recruiting class as if there’s some objective way of parsing the future prospects of high school football players with that level of precision. 

It’s far more helpful to consider different tiers of HC jobs and accept that there’s a lot that goes into translating the tier you’re in into on the field success and realize that there’s no way to accurately rank the 4,5,6,7 jobs in the “correct” order. And that there’s even some fluidity across tiers. 

Tier 1: Current blueblood: You almost never leave for another CFB job. If you can’t make the playoff and contend for an NC t(e problem is you and not the job.

Tier 2: Destination: You leave only for a current blueblood and even then some things have to fall into place to lure you away. An NC is in the picture but you’re fighting history and blue bloods. 

Tier 3: Good job: The right coach may never leave but most will consider it. Likely you’ll never win an NC but a conference title or playoff appearance could happen if all falls into place. 

Tier 4: Stepping stone: You’re probably aiming for a better job and conference contender in a great year is the highest realistic ceiling aside from miracles.

Tier 5: Kansas

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Maybe. But LA will never ever be as football crazy, college football crazy, as Tuscaloosa or Clemson or Knoxville or wherever else it has been for 75 years. That shit matters.

Sure, it matters, but Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, and Clemson have all had very long stretches of complete irrelevance.  A rabid fanbase doesn't guarantee anything.  

On the other hand, look what Oregon was able to do once before with a quick infusion of cash and major facilities upgrades.  Sure, there's only one Phil Knight, but lack of a rabid fanbase won't hinder USC anymore than it hindered Oregon.  

And Nebraska used to have a rabid fanbase, then they lost a legendary coach and stopped winning big and their fans calmed the fuck down.  Bama fans were a lot quieter when they hadn't done shit for decades before Saban.  Clemson really has no history outside of Swinney.  The idea that these programs can't fall ignores the fact that they've fallen before and so have a lot of others.  No one's been consistently great forever.  There are too many variables.  And all the new money pouring in is a new variable that figures to favor certain places over others.  

Do y'all really think Saban and Swinney are happy about this development?  I don't.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

Sure, it matters, but Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, and Clemson have all had very long stretches of complete irrelevance.  A rabid fanbase doesn't guarantee anything.  

On the other hand, look what Oregon was able to do once before with a quick infusion of cash and major facilities upgrades.  Sure, there's only one Phil Knight, but lack of a rabid fanbase won't hinder USC anymore than it hindered Oregon.  

And Nebraska used to have a rabid fanbase, then they lost a legendary coach and stopped winning big and their fans calmed the fuck down.  Bama fans were a lot quieter when they hadn't done shit for decades before Saban.  Clemson really has no history outside of Swinney.  The idea that these programs can't fall ignores the fact that they've fallen before and so have a lot of others.  No one's been consistently great forever.  There are too many variables.  And all the new money pouring in is a new variable that figures to favor certain places over others.  

Do y'all really think Saban and Swinney are happy about this development?  I don't.

Perhaps. But those places all continue to draw attention and fans when the going isn't great. Fans in huge urban areas, especially those with professional teams, do not. Nebraska still draws and there's intense interest. They've just not been very good since Osborne retired. Clemson will be an interesting case study. Once Dabo leaves, will their status as a Top 5 program continue or does it slide back toward the back of the Top 20 where it was prior to Swinney's emgergence?

6 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Phil Knight is sui generis. He’s not just a billionaire, he’s an athletics apparel billionaire and it’s useful to him to make Oregon into an advertisement for Nike. That’s a symbiotic relationship. 

Most well and truly top .001 percent donors and alumni are not going to be interested in paying college football players and not getting anything back. The lifeblood of college football boosters will continue to be the “local rich” businessmen who already do it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

For the #1 job in the country we sure do suck a lot. 

It's like saying let's make a list of the top pickup artists and rank as #1 the 6'4" billionaire with washboard abs, ignoring the fact that he hasn't been laid in over a decade because he always introduces himself with the pull my finger fart joke.

• Haha 3

No, because the status quo has those two programs in the four-team playoff every year as things stand now. Both were already blatantly paying players. The NIL rules open it up to other programs that maybe weren’t already doing what the big dogs were. It’s like when Saban abhorred the HUNH offenses before adopting it and kicking everybody’s asses with it. He didn’t like it initially but got with the program. Saban is a winner, plain and simple. Dabo is too, on a smaller scale.

2 hours ago, Hozz said:

Wolken is one of the guys who covers sports yet seems to hate them and what they represent.  I'm pretty sure he was in the cancel the season camp last year.

Dan wolken is in whatever woke circle is saying that helps him get clicks and stays relevant. He’s a chameleon and changes with the wind.

Apparently, it depends on who you ask:

Peter Burns 
@PeterBurnsESPN 
Top 5 Best jobs in CFB right now: 

1) Alabama - Everything aligned  
2) Clemson- No ACC competition  
3) Georgia - Facilities/Fans/Talent 
4) Texas A&M - $$$$ & Hungry fans  
5) Oklahoma- Nobody pushing them  

Honorable mention: 
LSU, Ohio State, Northwestern, Oregon 
Kentucky.

23 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

For the #1 job in the country we sure do suck a lot. 

It's like saying let's make a list of the top pickup artists and rank as #1 the 6'4" billionaire with washboard abs, ignoring the fact that he hasn't been laid in over a decade because he always introduces himself with the pull my finger fart joke.

spacer.png

13 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Peter Burns 
@PeterBurnsESPN 

Honorable mention: 
Kentucky.

laugh jordan GIFmichael jordan laughing GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

Klatt is by far the most favorable talking head towards us.

Yeah, he's won me over.  He was a guest on one of the weekly Longhorn podcasts (?"flagship"), and as always, he comes off as even-handed and fair when discussing the pros and cons of the Texas program

... which is really saying something, given the hysteria of "Texas destroyed the conference," and "It's not fair!" from all of our former and present league members (and yeah, I think 99% of that anti-Texas noise is bullshit).

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Peter Burns 
@PeterBurnsESPN 

Honorable mention: 
Kentucky.

Holy pandering, pot-banging bullshit, Batman!  Skip Bayless would be proud. 

Texags must be giving each other the full reach-around service right now.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

What makes a job “better” than another? The ceiling for success at Texas is as high as anywhere, and the money is pretty good but not as much as some places are paying. But god damn being the HC at Texas looks like a miserable way to make a living and by far the most likely outcome is getting run out of town on a rail sooner or later. 

I clearly don’t have the mentality of an elite CFB coach because if I could make all the money I’d ever need (i.e. well into 7 figures a year) at some place where they’re happy to be bowl eligible most years and I mostly get left alone vs getting $5m plus to probably eat shit and be the most despised/mocked person in Austin I know what I’d choose.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

So if Texas is the top CFB job, why can't you get a top coach ? That's not meant as a dig, I'm genuinely surprised y'all haven't been able to get the right guy there.

We always start out with terrible lists to choose from. We don't utilize our money to hire "the best available."  I thought Jimbo Fisher was a bad hire for aggy, but they damned sure went top of the market to get what they wanted.

We just sit here, dicks in hand, and settle.

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

We always start out with terrible lists to choose from. We don't utilize our money to hire "the best available."  I thought Jimbo Fisher was a bad hire for aggy, but they damned sure went top of the market to get what they wanted.

We just sit here, dicks in hand, and settle.

And make lots and lots of money doing it.

That can't go on forever, can it?

6 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Open Photo

In state talent is a higher criteria for me, so I'd probably put Florida in before Bama.  Probably

I would have to agree with your criteria. But Bama is situated in a pretty good place bordering Florida, Georgia, and only a few hours from Louisiana. Of course you have to have coaches/recruiters to take advantage of the close proximity to the recruiting hotbeds.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm interested to see how the NIL shakes out given three or four years. As a couple of posters already said when the craziness and bad judgement from 18-20 year olds with more money than they ever dreamed possible get in trouble and reflect badly on sponsors. Maybe the money will go back to the more reasonable amounts most expected instead of making millionaires from young people who haven't done anything but sign a scholarship offer.

2 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Peter Burns 
@PeterBurnsESPN 

Honorable mention: 
Kentucky.

I've never seen anything worse than this.  Being real.  For context, I've seen that Snoop Dog Dr. Dre Car Wash movie.  He has Northwestern and Kentucky there?  

• Hook 'Em 1

Notre Dame deserves to be near the top of the list - blue blood, don't need local recruiting as they are a "national brand" (it kills me to say this)|
Oregon gained prominence because Phil paid for it, but with NIL that advantage is gone as many others will find more funds available
The truth about Clemson was posted above, they need to do something post Dabo to see if it's the program or the guy
Georgia needs to win something, or they will slip into "used to be somebody status" (see Michigan as a reference)

Top tier programs (in no particular order) - Bama, Texas, OU, Notre Dame, OSU (the buckeye kind), LSU, maybe Florida
Could be again, but aren't there now - Georgia, Michigan, Miami, Florida St (the fallen bluebloods -teams great during part of the prior century)
They are at a peak now, or recently, but can they stay - Oregon, Clemson, this years version of BYU, Boise St, FIA - so I'll say Cincinnati
Once outstanding programs - USC, Nebraska, MSU, Tennessee, UCLA
Never were; but think otherwise - Aggie, PennSt, Iowa

the rest - all other ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, 
all time bottom ten programs - Rice (love the MOB), Kansas, Rutgers, Vandy 

Note - any team can have a good year (maybe 2) with the right schedule and a group of talented junior/seniors but it won't be sustainable 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

The one knock on Ohio State (and Notre Dame for that matter) is that it doesn't have the local talent that Texas, Florida, and Georgia have access to. Ohio is definitely second tier for blue-chip recruits. It's not Nebraska, but it isn't Texas or Florida either who have a ton of talent within a reasonable driving distance. The same coach recruiting the same recruit would probably have an easier time convincing them to stay close to home. On the other hand, Ohio State has no in-state competitors, which off-sets the geographic disadvantage. 

True.  But Ohio only has one big time in state school.  Texas and Florida have 3.  I'm counting ou as instate essentially

8 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Notre Dame deserves to be near the top of the list - blue blood, don't need local recruiting as they are a "national brand" (it kills me to say this)|
Oregon gained prominence because Phil paid for it, but with NIL that advantage is gone as many others will find more funds available
The truth about Clemson was posted above, they need to do something post Dabo to see if it's the program or the guy
Georgia needs to win something, or they will slip into "used to be somebody status" (see Michigan as a reference)

Top tier programs (in no particular order) - Bama, Texas, OU, Notre Dame, OSU (the buckeye kind), LSU, maybe Florida
Could be again, but aren't there now - Georgia, Michigan, Miami, Florida St (the fallen bluebloods -teams great during part of the prior century)
They are at a peak now, or recently, but can they stay - Oregon, Clemson, this years version of BYU, Boise St, FIA - so I'll say Cincinnati
Once outstanding programs - USC, Nebraska, MSU, Tennessee, UCLA
Never were; but think otherwise - Aggie, PennSt, Iowa

the rest - all other ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, 
all time bottom ten programs - Rice (love the MOB), Kansas, Rutgers, Vandy 

Note - any team can have a good year (maybe 2) with the right schedule and a group of talented junior/seniors but it won't be sustainable 

Michigan State hasn't been an outstanding program in my lifetime (born in 1972). I fucking loathe Penn State but they've been way more of a relevant power than MSU has been for more than 50 years.

32 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Austin doesn’t do much for us. Top recruits wanna go where they can win and play in the NFL. Austin doesn’t do that for them. Many of these kids prefer the smaller environment. The sooner we collectively stop thinking Norman, Tuscaloosa, College Station, etc are so much worse than Austin, the better off we will be. We’ve gotta lose that arrogance. Athens, Gainesville and Baton Rouge are close to major markets that are arguably as cool as Austin. 

The SEC schools are going nowhere. Alabama had never had the sustained drought we have and with the strongest conference (by far) getting even stronger, it’s going to weaken schools like USC and Oregon. And those “shithole Southern cities” aren’t shitholes with few exceptions. 

Pretty sure Gainesville sucks.

The tenacity of a fan base and it’s alumni will win out vs NIL in a big city. There is no better fan base than Alabama, Ohio state, or etc in the south/not highly populated areas. Where as our fan base pretty much kind of sucks. 

fucks same Bryce young had 7 figure deal before starting, Ewers 1.4 million in Columbus, Clemson QB has huge deal with Dr Pepper….location won’t matter as much as some try to make it  

Why the fuck is a Texas company like DP going for Southeast coast for NIL?

A couple thoughts:

Georgia always ends up super high on both fan and media wonks lists. Georgia hasn’t won an NC in over 40 years and only four conference titles in that span, with two of those in the early 1980s.

That’s behind Auburn and well behind Florida and LSU. Strictly speaking behind Tennessee too, but we can all see their mess in Knoxville. It’s true they always have great classes and draft picks and hang around the top ten but someone needs to explain why the alleged second or first best job in the SEC is more like fifth or sixth in terms of titles over the past 40 years if it’s really so great. That’s a big sample size across lots of coaching regimes. Pat Dye and Steve Spurrier both have won more championships than Georgia all together in that time. 

Second, I think “in-state” recruiting is overblown. For Bama, I think that all of Miss and the Florida panhandle might as well be in their state and that’s a lot of NFL talent. I don’t think OU is really at a disadvantage in TX based on how they actually recruit- and in some ways, not being in the thrall of TXHSFCA but recruiting like a Texas school is awesome. tOSU can basically recruit all of the Midwest save some of Michigan like it’s Ohio. Far more important is having big fan and alumni bases and good local connections as opposed to state borders. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, bornbama1 said:

I'm interested to see how the NIL shakes out given three or four years. As a couple of posters already said when the craziness and bad judgement from 18-20 year olds with more money than they ever dreamed possible get in trouble and reflect badly on sponsors. Maybe the money will go back to the more reasonable amounts most expected instead of making millionaires from young people who haven't done anything but sign a scholarship offer.

It’s almost certainly going to settle down, right now it’s a shiny new thing and there’s going to be a lot of thirsty people trying to buy a long awaited title, think aggy.

But I don’t see it being sustainable outside the occasional mega donors like Knight, T Boone, McCombs and the like who give sustained support until they don’t or they die.  

Then add to the mix players transferring out of programs and it becomes less tenuous for huge contracts.  They will still happen occasionally, but I think it going to come down to the teams that end up with the strongest overall NIL programs built like a donor hub to consistently produce year over year.   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Sure, it matters, but Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, and Clemson have all had very long stretches of complete irrelevance.

Ohio State has had maybe a subpar decade in their history.  They certainly have NEVER had a very long stretch of complete irrelevance.  They've had nine losing seasons in the last 100 years plus and three of those were in the 1920's.

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

Michigan State hasn't been an outstanding program in my lifetime (born in 1972). I fucking loathe Penn State but they've been way more of a relevant power than MSU has been for more than 50 years.

I understand your position, but to counter PSU was only a "power" when they were an independent and played an easier schedule; since they joined the B1G (in 1993) they have won 2 outright conf titles and shared 2 others, and they have won 1 Rose Bowl (which is still something up here, and it is less than Texas has won)
This year will be their 30th in the conference, and in that time they rank behind OSU (14), Wisky (5),and Michy (5 - though none since 2004), and just ahead of Northworstern (3) and MSU (3). So not really a dominant team (that goes only to the Buckeyes for the B1G). 
Much like Michigan, Nebraska,  UCLA, and others mentioned PSU is living on an aging legacy.

8 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Clemson won a title in ‘81 and was pretty damned good throughout the decade. They have a good history, with one less title than we do. I put them in the Miami category, but with more sustained history. 

Right, Clemson had one title before Dabo, i.e. they "really have no history outside of Swinney," unless you think aggy has history, too?

And yes, I've been to Baton Rouge, and it sucks.  Pretty sure Gainesville does, too.  Etc.

I'll say it again: thinking that the SEC is always going to be on top ignores the fact that there were long stretches when the SEC wasn't on top.  It also ignores the fact that the SEC had a huge recent advantage by paying players and that advantage is now gone.  If you think that won't change anything, all I can say is, we'll see. 

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

A couple thoughts:

Georgia always ends up super high on both fan and media wonks lists. Georgia hasn’t won an NC in over 40 years and only four conference titles in that span, with two of those in the early 1980s.

That’s behind Auburn and well behind Florida and LSU. Strictly speaking behind Tennessee too, but we can all see their mess in Knoxville. It’s true they always have great classes and draft picks and hang around the top ten but someone needs to explain why the alleged second or first best job in the SEC is more like fifth or sixth in terms of titles over the past 40 years if it’s really so great. That’s a big sample size across lots of coaching regimes. Pat Dye and Steve Spurrier both have won more championships than Georgia all together in that time. 

Second, I think “in-state” recruiting is overblown. For Bama, I think that all of Miss and the Florida panhandle might as well be in their state and that’s a lot of NFL talent. I don’t think OU is really at a disadvantage in TX based on how they actually recruit- and in some ways, not being in the thrall of TXHSFCA but recruiting like a Texas school is awesome. tOSU can basically recruit all of the Midwest save some of Michigan like it’s Ohio. Far more important is having big fan and alumni bases and good local connections as opposed to state borders. 

UGA is a great job.

It’s a good flagship school is a talent rich state, but they don’t have half a dozen other in states vying for the same recruits.    plus we deal with OU, Bama, LSU, fOSU, Oregon, Stanford, UGA all regularly poaching top talent from Texas.

Yes they haven’t won jack shit in >40 years and still they kept Richt around for 15 years or so, and now it looks like Smart is on that same track.  The pressure to win at any big time program is there but it appears to be more tempered at UGA. 

So recap,

1) they play in the conference perceived to be NFL lite but they are in one of the weaker divisions across P5 where all they have to beat is an up and down UF team.  

2)Good school in talent rich state with very little in-state recruiting competition.  Next door to the top recruiting state which helps dilute neighboring teams focus.  

3) Obviously a great donor bag game in place.

4) produce good results and get paid a lot to stay a while, Richt won 2 SEC title is 15 years.  Looks like Smart is on the same trajectory.  The fact they haven’t won shit in >40 years makes them more patient, start winning MNCs and suddenly your fan base becomes ravenous for more.

UGA is a very good job

Edited by Treefidy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, C-Man said:

Pretty sure Gainesville sucks.

And Baton Rouge is a great party town like all small college towns are, but I don't think it's Austin.

22 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, and NIL changes everything.  Did you read my previous post?  Kids no longer have to go to shithole Southern cities to get paid, and yes that's been happening.  They've been choosing the SEC because they know they can win and make the NFL, as you said, and also because they can get paid.  Now they'll be able to do all of that in some much more attractive locations.

I can even see a time in several years when Texas, USC, and Oregon are winning and places like Alabama and Clemson have a hard time recruiting top coaches to replace Saban and Swinney because they're at such a competitive disadvantage in recruiting.

Sure, it sounds unfathomable now, but landscapes do change and the SEC hasn't been the big swinging dick forever.  And there's a paradigm shift coming. 

You’re trying to see the world of an 18-year-old kid through the eyes of a middle-aged man. Plenty of these kids grew up in towns not too different those shithole towns that you think they should hate. 

As a father of a teenage boy who is starting to look around at where he wants to go to college I can tell you that big city like Miami is not appealing to him at all. I’m sure its appealing for some, but not the majority by any means.  

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

UGA is a great job.

It’s a good flagship school is a talent rich state, but they don’t have half a dozen other in states vying for the same recruits.    plus we deal with OU, Bama, LSU, fOSU, Oregon, Stanford, UGA all regularly poaching top talent from Texas.

Yes they haven’t won jack shit in >40 years and still they kept Richt around for 15 years or so, and now it looks like Smart is on that same track.  The pressure to win at any big time program is there but it appears to be more tempered at UGA. 

So recap,

1) they play in the conference perceived to be NFL lite but they are in one of the weaker divisions across P5 where all they have to beat is an up and down UF team.  

2)Good school in talent rich state with very little in-state recruiting competition.  Next door to the top recruiting state which helps dilute neighboring teams focus.  

3) Obviously a great donor bag game in place.

4) produce good results and get paid a lot to stay a while, Richt won 2 SEC title is 15 years.  Looks like Smart is on the same trajectory.  The fact they haven’t won shit in >40 years makes them more patient, start winning MNCs and suddenly your fan base becomes ravenous for more.

UGA is a very good job

No doubt it’s a good to great job, just that there’s obviously some reason “lesser” schools like LSU, Auburn, Bama, UF accomplish more.

I think you’re overselling the recruiting edge. UGA got 1/10, 2/10 and 2/10 top recruits in Georgia in 2020, 2019, and 2016. They got 5,6,and 5 in 2021, 2018 and 2019 which is more what you expect. Still— Georgia is on the National trail and power programs come in and take top prospects all the time. 

A school that does lock down a talent rich state? LSU.

Edited by 956 Worldwide

We've resorted to hiring coordinators and coaches from G5 schools.  If this was the best job in the country, the top coaches in the country would want to come here.  This program is Tennessee, Nebraska, Michigan.  We're a solid program where you will get paid and then fired within 3-4 years if you don't win.  

I interpret top five as places a coach should be able to win easily at. Texas is #1 because of in state recruiting, money, and history. The reality of a lost decade doesn't take away from that. Alabama at two is ability to recruit, money, recent domination, and history. A tough job to follow Saban, while true, doesn't take away from that.

11 minutes ago, victory88 said:

We've resorted to hiring coordinators and coaches from G5 schools.  If this was the best job in the country, the top coaches in the country would want to come here.  This program is Tennessee, Nebraska, Michigan.  We're a solid program where you will get paid and then fired within 3-4 years if you don't win.  

Not to completely derail, but sure-fire slam dunks don't usually move. Bama got Saban due to timing. They had an opening and Saban didn't like the NFL after two ho-hum years there. Perfect fit. Urban Meyer? He was the flavor-of-the-month coach at Utah when Florida needed somebody and he made the jump, won two titles and then retired for health reasons. The Ohio State gig opened up and Urban took it. Timing in both cases. Georgia hired Saban's DC, Brian Kelly jumped from G5 Cincinnati to Notre Dame and still hasn't won any real hardware. Kudos for aggy -- they went out and got a NC-winning coach who was currently employed (tenuously, perhaps) by a big-time power program. It only took grossly overpaying and not including any sort of buyout language in the deal (so aggy, BTW) but so far it's worked out pretty well. They're better than they were under Sumlin.

So this is where we are -- you keep looking at coaches that COULD be great and cycle them through until you find one that works. We tried to pull Saban (got pretty close, I think) and then tried again with Urban (who knows how close we got), who will likely be available to a college program in a few years because I don't think he'll win very much in the NFL.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

If you’re the top job in the nation, you don’t hire Strong and Sark, or really even Herman. You go and get Saban, Meyer or Swinney and nobody else during one of those three searches. But we’re not the top job in the nation, and haven’t been for over a decade. We are not in the Top 5, and haven’t been since 2013. We’re just not, and it’s obvious to see. 

The point I was trying to make is that Bama and Ohio State likely don't get Saban or Meyer except for perfect timing. Saban wasn't leaving LSU for Bama after winning a NC without some sort of semi-failed sojourn through the NFL. (Saban wasn't exactly a sure thing when LSU hired him from Michigan State.) Urban was in his "retirement" phase when the marquee job near where he grew up came open. Let's see what USC winds up doing. My bet is anything other than pulling Urban after one terrible NFL season in J-ville will be a major letdown.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

If you’re the top job in the nation, you don’t hire Strong and Sark, or really even Herman. You go and get Saban, Meyer or Swinney and nobody else during one of those three searches. But we’re not the top job in the nation, and haven’t been for over a decade. We are not in the Top 5, and haven’t been since 2013. We’re just not, and it’s obvious to see. 

Let's try this -- give me an example of the last time a program that is in the discussion for #1 job in the nation went and hired a Saban, Meyer or Swinney away from their current gig. I can't think of anything recent off the top of my head. As I said before, Bama and Ohio State were fortunate in their timing to land Saban and Meyer.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Baton Rouge doesn’t suck. Neither does Gainesville. They are close to NO, Jacksonville and Orlando. Athens is right by Atlanta and is a kickass town, as is Oxford. Also, Tuscaloosa and College Station (I know, fuck me) aren’t as bad as people here think and they’re right by metro areas. You can think these are all shithole Southern cities (as if Texas or other areas don’t have eye sores), but you’re displaying Longhorn arrogance and ignorance. 

Clemson has a much better history than A&M post 1930s, even without their title. They were basically Georgia before 2016. 

You sound like an anti-South Texas fan, and whatever, but I have little tolerance for people injecting their biases to distort things. On the other hand a lot of this is your opinion. But your opinion is just wrong. 

The irony of repeatedly telling someone that his opinion is just wrong while sumultaneously calling him arrogant is pretty fucking rich.

We'll see how it pans out.  You can go back to being contrarian with every other poster in this thread now.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Meyer was retired this last go round. We had Saban in ‘13. A&M got Fisher. Not as big of a name but certainly this can be done. If you’re not perceived to be a giant pain in the ass to coach. Which we are. We are not a particularly desirable place  to coach. 

Again, can you point me to a situation where a perceived top destination stop like Texas pulled a sitting coach of Saban or Urban's stature? It is exceedingly rare -- if it happens at all. Saban could retire tomorrow. Would we all agree that Dabo would be the #1 "get" for the Crimson Tide? Absolutely. And I don't think he'd make the move for multiple reasons. According to many Bama fans, Sark was Saban's hand-picked successor for a few years down the road.

EDIT: Sorry, you mentioned Jimbo. That's about the closest I can find.

Edited by C-Man

25 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Actually I think even Finebaum finally admitted Saban was in play.  Tom Hicks, billionaire alum said if Mack stepped down Saban would've come.  But he's Tom Hicks and we're two randoms on a message board.  Strong was a Bill Powers hire.  We were going to tar and feather Mike Perrin if we let LSU (hey Baton Rouge) steal him from us.  Swinney was a nobody when Clemson got him and we had our shot but chose Strong.

Baton Rouge doesn’t suck. Neither does Gainesville. They are close to NO, Jacksonville and Orlando. Athens is right by Atlanta and is a kickass town, as is Oxford. Also, Tuscaloosa and College Station (I know, fuck me) aren’t as bad as people here think and they’re right by metro areas. You can think these are all shithole Southern cities (as if Texas or other areas don’t have eye sores), but you’re displaying Longhorn arrogance and ignorance. 

Clemson has a much better history than A&M post 1930s, even without their title. They were basically Georgia before 2016. 

You sound like an anti-South Texas fan, and whatever, but I have little tolerance for people injecting their biases to distort things. On the other hand a lot of this is your opinion. But your opinion is just wrong. 

I think Athens is great.  Not sure Jville and Orlando have any pop.

Georgia literally let the ‘18 title slip through its fingers. To say they haven’t won jack shit in 40 years and equating them to us is insane. 

Yes and Blake Gideon let a title shot slip through his hands.  And our punt returner in 83 fumbled away a national title shot.  bringing this up as you're putting the timeline at 40 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Again, can you point me to a situation where a perceived top destination stop like Texas pulled a sitting coach of Saban or Urban's stature? It is exceedingly rare -- if it happens at all. Saban could retire tomorrow. Would we all agree that Dabo would be the #1 "get" for the Crimson Tide? Absolutely. And I don't think he'd make the move for multiple reasons. According to many Bama fans, Sark was Saban's hand-picked successor for a few years down the road.

EDIT: Sorry, you mentioned Jimbo. That's about the closest I can find.

And Bama landed Saban because he couldn't wait to leave Miami.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Fisher in recent memory is the only one. But how rare is it for the #1 job in the nation to be constantly open?  That’s my point: we are bot the #1 job. 

I won't waste any time arguing the Texas job is #1. I think it was at one time. But it is still a top destination, one of the five or so best. I guess my point is the undoubted #1 gig in the country, whichever one you call it, is going to have a hard time pulling one of the 2-3 perceived best, established coaches currently in the college game.

I agree with this. Pretty much any college town with a big state school is pretty awesome compared to a place of similar size or even larger that isn’t. And even for the 18 year old that is from suburbia/exurbia of a major metro area— the fact is that he’s unlikely to have been living that swank metropolitan lifestyle and appreciating his MMA’s job market. 

That’s not to say places like Austin or Miami aren’t coolER to them. Just that they don’t look at Gainesville or Baton Rouge and think it’s a shithole. There’s a ton of places to party with young people and hot trim and the area around campus is nicer than wherever they are from most likely. Wtf else does a 18 year old need?

It’s far more important to give them a better experience while they’re visiting than to expect they’ll be lured by the magic of a cool big city. 

• Hook 'Em 2