Zee top five jobs in CFB according to Joel Klatt

closetohumping

4 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Here's the list from the Athletic 

spacer.png

Looks pretty close to me. I’d maybe put Clemson a bit farther down and slide ND, OU, and especially Florida up. Top 9 or so are “blue bloods” with little separation among them. The next tier goes down to NC or so.

Surprised at who is missing—- Auburn, UCLA, Tennessee. I am befuddled at ranking NW above Wisconsin, Michigan Stare, even Stanford. 

18 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I have to go for business a few times a year and a go to a PSU game each season (though in the governors box so a bit different than anyone else). The erector set stadium sucks. Parking sucks, every with the VIP pass. The city is 1.5 hours away from a real airport. there is. It arts or culture. It’s awful in every way.  I have no idea how they get any athlete not from PA to play there.

And when they expanded their erector set stadium they didn’t expand the concourse. So if you sit in the lower bowl but go up to the upper concourse during halftime to use the restroom, there’s this massive chasm between the concourse and the exterior of the structure. The lines for the vending and the lines for the restrooms, which are right next to each other, are packed like sardines and trying to get through one to the other is a nightmare. Why didn’t they extend the concourse out to the edge of the stadium? Or even halfway? Maybe because there’s no exterior shell so if it’s November and it’s cold and snowy then there’s no shelter from the elements. 

22 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I have to go for business a few times a year and a go to a PSU game each season (though in the governors box so a bit different than anyone else). The erector set stadium sucks. Parking sucks, every with the VIP pass. The city is 1.5 hours away from a real airport. there is. It arts or culture. It’s awful in every way.  I have no idea how they get any athlete not from PA to play there.

I’m certain that at the auburn game Saturday night the recruits and coaches will be most concerned with the exterior facade of the stadium and the parking situation. 

• Haha 1

On 9/15/2021 at 5:38 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

I’m not talking about only an immediate change on the field, I’m talking about even getting a good replacement. It doesn’t really happen that often. ADs fire coaches mideason for cause, or to get fans and boosters off their back. Not because it helps them recruit a better coach. Applauding USC is fine but so far how has that pattern worked out for them?

Here’s a list of mid season firings back to 2006. The three times it’s been successful to successful-ish are:

Clemson, which had Swinney waiting on staff.

LSU, which had Orgeron waiting on staff and we will see what happens to Ogre.

Florida after McElwain who was removed not just for losing but for weird statements about death threats, basically for cause. 

The rest of these schools had to either cycle through another coach or two, or are still wandering in the wilderness, or jury is out so far.  Schools like Texas don’t need to “officially” open  a job mid season to lure top candidates, as evidenced by the immediate Strong to Herman transfer. Even though Herman didn’t work out, he was the hottest realistic name at the time. Firing a coach mid season broadcasts to candidates that your administration is willing to let fans and boosters run the show. There are plenty of ways to get feelers out and there are a lot more examples of teams getting better coaches by not taking that route than there are of mid season firings changing the trajectory of a program. 

https://www.bannersociety.com/2020/12/28/22203713/which-schools-get-opposing-coaches-fired-mid-season

Surly wasn't even a glimmer in Blacklab's drunken Irish eyes when Herm was hired but other message boards were going bat shit crazy at the thought of Herm going to LSU.  It was ugly

4 hours ago, heso said:

I’m certain that at the auburn game Saturday night the recruits and coaches will be most concerned with the exterior facade of the stadium and the parking situation. 

The biggest concern of the recruits might be about who’ll be the head coach next year. The coaches might be wondering about whether or not they’ll have a job next year. 

14 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Looks pretty close to me. I’d maybe put Clemson a bit farther down and slide ND, OU, and especially Florida up. Top 9 or so are “blue bloods” with little separation among them. The next tier goes down to NC or so.

Surprised at who is missing—- Auburn, UCLA, Tennessee. I am befuddled at ranking NW above Wisconsin, Michigan Stare, even Stanford. 

NW seems to be the trendy pick for "cool city, low expectations." 

Auburn has deranged boosters.

Tennessee is fucked -- worst situation for recruiting in the SEC where they have no instate and have to fight GA and Alabama and Clemson at their gates and Ohio State and Penn State not that far in another direction. add in unrealistic expectations, and it's terrible.