Texas Recruiting Notes - 2018

TexasFan21

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

EJ Holland is a shill for street agents. During his Waddle sales push, he went so far as to defend Will Lyles, calling him a good guy and arguing that Texas fans who talked negatively of Lyles were the problem. Simultaneously he was being negative shit about UT recruiting an out of state guy when they had guys right here, again, from agents and handlers. Loaded with that agenda, and his ignorant hubris around his knowledge of the sport, he went and purposefully scouted Moore in an effort to run him down. It’s not just that EJ Holland doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to the sport of football, it’s that he’s also doing regular work as a useful idiot for the bad guys in the recruiting game. 

Beyond all of that, Holland is your classic entitled millennial. From people who’ve spent time around him, it’s apparent he has an extremely low opinion of his readership, Texas fans generally, and the college sport nationally. He’s the worst kind of clown to have hanging around the program and talking to recruits. I’d honestly like to meet him and kick him squarely in his undoubtedly half-developed gonads. 

You sure he has gonads?

He bases all of his "evaluations" on whatever game he happens to attend, and he rarely goes to see any player more than once. So a lot of his stuff is based on really small sample sizes. The one time he went to see Rondale, he had a bad game, so that was pretty much it. 

It's self-involvement, the most important games to him are the ones he goes to, even though the ones he goes to are completely arbitrary. 

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Seems like a good kid who made what he saw as the best decision for himself. Can't hate that. He wasn't a dick during the process, unlike some other recruits.

Yeah, I think he is one of the rare recruits that didn't piss off the fanbase when he decommited.

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Seems like a good kid who made what he saw as the best decision for himself. Can't hate that. He wasn't a dick during the process, unlike some other recruits.

This. Rondale did everything right. I wish he was here but he made a decision that made sense for himself and went to a place who's head coach went to the same school as him and was a legend there. Can't fault him at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Indeed.  I wish the young man the best.  And I think he is going to get it.  He just needs to be prepared for Brohm moving on.   Oops, I forgot about the new transfer rules.  

Edited by cafe society
Middle age mentalpause

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We have just received confirmation from multiple sources that freshman DL Mike Williams has quit the football team.

Hailed as the next Malcolm Roach, the Baton Rouge (La.) native was ranked as the #21 recruit in Louisiana in 2018, and was an exciting prospect because of his versatility on the defensive line. Mike Williams was best known during recruiting as having played quarterback for his team. He last measured in at Texas at 6’2” and 275lbs.

We have been told that he just packed up all his stuff and is no longer on campus. According to one source the staff did not get did not get much of a warning. According to the source, one of the biggest factors in his decision is that he wanted to be closer to home and will look for a college in Louisiana to attend to continue his football career.

We are currently digging to find out more behind the story, and will update this article as we receive more information.

7 minutes ago, Richter said:

Its based on games played, not number of catches...  He can redshirt if he plays less than 4 games per the rule change this year.

I think we are going to see the downside of this rule for the next couple of seasons. Some redshirting players are going to expect they will get to play in 3 or 4 games, especially if the coaches promised it. We played down to our opponents, especially late in the season, which made it hard to give snaps to players that aren't likely ready to be on the field with the game in doubt.

I wonder what the statistics look like across the P5 on using the 4-game window. I bet teams that teams who use it liberally could gain some recruiting advantages over time, especially against teams in their own recruiting band. I am not saying Texas or OU is going to lose recruits to Kansas over this, but we could get a leg up over OU or aggy if we show we get our redshirts on the field.

Edited by rickyspub

Just now, rickyspub said:

I think we are going to see the downside of this rule for the next couple of seasons. Some redshirting players are going to expect they will get to play in 3 or 4 games, especially if the coaches promised it. We played down to our opponents, especially late in the season, which made it hard to give snaps to players that aren't likely ready to be on the field with the game in doubt. 

I wonder what the statistics look like across the P5 on using the 4-game window. I bet teams that teams who use it liberally could gain some recruiting advantages over time, especially against team in their own recruiting band. I am not saying Texas or OU is going to lose recruits to Kansas over this, but we could get a leg up over OU or aggy if we show we get our redshirts on the field.

Fair enough, but the one guy where it's bitten us this year was a QB transitioning to DE. Dude was deluding himself if he thought he was getting any sort of snaps this year.

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Fair enough, but the one guy where it's bitten us this year was a QB transitioning to DE. Dude was deluding himself if he thought he was getting any sort of snaps this year.

I am not going to apply it to any particular circumstance unless there is some evidence that is why a player left. I am merely saying that I imagine some coaches and staffs will promise to use those 4 games to get a guy to sign and pay the cost if they don't deliver. Other coaching staffs will be able to win a recruit by guaranteeing them playing time as a freshman because they have the stats to back it up compared to the competition.

Multiple played

More than one started

One gone

At least one in the portal

None remaining looks like a total waste of a scholarship

I’d say early returns are good on this batch. If they continue like this and if 2019 is similar, we are going to start killing it.

edit I apparently am not a wizard of the spoilered link

Edited by Magus Ossis

• 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Herman should send a PI to look around. If the cash is overflowing from whoever "suggested" he give up his scholarship to play football at Texas to walk on over there, it might be worth sending a message.

Why do that when we have the Department of Justice as part of the BOMC (check LSU basketball)