How to address ebay fraud

Bevo

So, I was a dumbass and bought a new TV off of EBay. My current TV stopped working - no deals were available - checked ebay - proceeded to fuck up. I meant to purchase through Paypal but clicked the wrong button so it came directly from my CC. I purchased the item on Saturday. I requested a tracking number on Mon. and Tue. and Tuesday before 5:00 I contacted my bank and reported fraud. This morning I received a tracking number that said the TV was delivered. I called Fedex and the package was the approximate correct size but too light. It was delivered to another business address on the same street as my business.

EBay no longer has a contact number where you can speak with a person and they force you to go online and online forces you to contact the seller. Obviously, the seller already knows he is fraudulent. And EBay notes say they will step in after a week if the issue isn't resolved.

So the answer is to not buy expensive shit on EBay. But, what is the best way to address this type of fraud. I hopefully am okay because I already reported fraud to my bank and will get a new CC today. But, that may turn out to be an issue because it really is probably more of a dispute than fraudulent activity on the card.

https://pages.ebay.com/cl/en-us/coverage/BuyerProtectionForBuyers.html

Had a similar experience but with a less costly item (running shoes).   Check the above link if you have not seen.   

Were you able to contact the seller ?   Go thru the process of online contact.   iirc,  I was able to contact by phone (or may have been Paypal)   Google around for avenues.

May take time,  but should be able to get it resolved with full refund.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, immamac said:

This straight up isn't an issue. They will fix it for you, but that's why you buy from people with more than 1 sale on ebay. 

I wonder what ebay does - Do they eat the cost? I would prefer they create hell for the seller. I don't have much patience or concerns for 2 bit criminals. It basically ruins ebay - each time it happens it makes it less likely that I will purchase through their site in the future.

The only good that can come from this is with the TV broken, I can't easily watch UT football.

27 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I wonder what ebay does - Do they eat the cost? I would prefer they create hell for the seller. I don't have much patience or concerns for 2 bit criminals. It basically ruins ebay - each time it happens it makes it less likely that I will purchase through their site in the future.

The only good that can come from this is with the TV broken, I can't easily watch UT football.

they do a chargeback to the vendor yeah - do you know how payment processing works? you didn't pay the seller directly did you? 

49 minutes ago, immamac said:

they do a chargeback to the vendor yeah - do you know how payment processing works? you didn't pay the seller directly did you? 

Paid by credit card because I wasn't paying attention. EBay lists your credit cards then PayPal and PayPal Credit. I chose a CC by mistake instead of PayPal and then my CC. As soon as you proceed with the choice, the credit card goes through so there is no opportunity to correct the mistake. And I guess I am not very familiar with credit card processing. I'm not hurting for cash and have people who take care of accounting so when I accept a credit card, I have no idea how long it takes me to actually receive the money. I thought it was about 5 days.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Paid by credit card because I wasn't paying attention. EBay lists your credit cards then PayPal and PayPal Credit. I chose a CC by mistake instead of PayPal and then my CC. As soon as you proceed with the choice, the credit card goes through so there is no opportunity to correct the mistake. And I guess I am not very familiar with credit card processing. I'm not hurting for cash and have people who take care of accounting so when I accept a credit card, I have no idea how long it takes me to actually receive the money. I thought it was about 5 days.

This is even better. Just CC dispute it. They will credit your account back like nothing ever happened. 

3 hours ago, immamac said:

This is even better. Just CC dispute it. They will credit your account back like nothing ever happened. 

I think the best solution is your first post where you said not to purchase from first time sellers even if they have lots of purchasing rep. It is easy to get enticed by a great price but when you have to go through all the hassle and go through a separate process to get your warranty money back from square trade and have to get a new credit card (because Austin Telco has some stupid policies), it just isn't worth it. I've given up on purchasing a TV on ebay. I think I'll go Amazon or an electronics co. (best buy, new egg, techforless, whatever).

I really want to catch one of these guys, though. It is such a two bit crime and ruins ebay.

Edited by Bevo

17 hours ago, Bevo said:

So, I was a dumbass and bought a new TV off of EBay. My current TV stopped working - no deals were available - checked ebay - proceeded to fuck up. I meant to purchase through Paypal but clicked the wrong button so it came directly from my CC. I purchased the item on Saturday. I requested a tracking number on Mon. and Tue. and Tuesday before 5:00 I contacted my bank and reported fraud. This morning I received a tracking number that said the TV was delivered. I called Fedex and the package was the approximate correct size but too light. It was delivered to another business address on the same street as my business.

EBay no longer has a contact number where you can speak with a person and they force you to go online and online forces you to contact the seller. Obviously, the seller already knows he is fraudulent. And EBay notes say they will step in after a week if the issue isn't resolved.

So the answer is to not buy expensive shit on EBay. But, what is the best way to address this type of fraud. I hopefully am okay because I already reported fraud to my bank and will get a new CC today. But, that may turn out to be an issue because it really is probably more of a dispute than fraudulent activity on the card.

eBay customer service is great. 

Bought a used speaker that has been discontinued. 4 (not 6) digit price. When received, the product was damaged and none of the 20 plus photos showed this particular angle and damage. Seller tired to claim it was shipping or my fault, but after eBay gave them the chance to accept the return or make it right, they stepped in with a full refund. All under two weeks. 

Thought I was fucked. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

9 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

eBay customer service is great. 

Bought a used speaker that has been discontinued. 6 digit price. When received, the product was damaged and none of the 20 plus photos showed this particular angle and damage. Seller tired to claim it was shipping or my fault, but after eBay gave them the chance to accept the return or make it right, they stepped in with a full refund. All under two weeks. 

Thought I was fucked. 

Apogee or one of the modern esoterics?

I quit selling on eBay a long time ago because I got fucked out of $3500 by a buyer who claimed I sent him an empty box and got his PayPal payment refunded very quickly.  He listed the items I sold him a few weeks later.  These items had a unique serial number.   I forwarded that info to PayPal, and nothing.  They make it difficult for sellers.  Not enough money involved to hire an attorney to sort it out.

7 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Wait... you purchased a speaker that cost more than $ 100,000.00?

Surly .01%?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I was thrown off a bit. Used 6 figure speakers... Apogees were the most expensive of their era and they were solidly in the 5 figures. There are $500K speakers now that are big and IMO ugly. Moon Audio has a 7 figure speaker. And then:

Hart Audio D&W Aural Pleasure – $5m12 of the world's most expensive loudspeakers

Rub your eyes as much as you wish, but that won't change the fact the price you see for this pair of stunning speakers is a cool $5m. If we owned them, we'd almost be scared to use the speakers for their intended purpose out of fear that we might do some damage.

So what makes this such an expensive pair of speakers? It's just a hunch, but we reckon it has something to do with the 76cm cabinet that has been cast in 24-carat gold...

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I quit selling on eBay a long time ago because I got fucked out of $3500 by a buyer who claimed I sent him an empty box and got his PayPal payment refunded very quickly.  He listed the items I sold him a few weeks later.  These items had a unique serial number.   I forwarded that info to PayPal, and nothing.  They make it difficult for sellers.  Not enough money involved to hire an attorney to sort it out.

Why didn't you buy it from him and then claim he sent you an empty box?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, I was thrown off a bit. Used 6 figure speakers... Apogees were the most expensive of their era and they were solidly in the 5 figures. There are $500K speakers now that are big and IMO ugly. Moon Audio has a 7 figure speaker. And then:

Hart Audio D&W Aural Pleasure – $5m12 of the world's most expensive loudspeakers

Rub your eyes as much as you wish, but that won't change the fact the price you see for this pair of stunning speakers is a cool $5m. If we owned them, we'd almost be scared to use the speakers for their intended purpose out of fear that we might do some damage.

So what makes this such an expensive pair of speakers? It's just a hunch, but we reckon it has something to do with the 76cm cabinet that has been cast in 24-carat gold...

For $5 million that thing better pleasure me in more ways than just aural.