2021-22 PGA thread

Wally Fairway

9 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Worst event of the year & I can't believe the winners, basically, get full for recognition for the win.

Yawn/Snooze/wake me when the season gets back to a normal event

Yeah, not a fan of this weekend tournament either  (Zurich Classic of New Orleans)

5 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Worst event of the year & I can't believe the winners, basically, get full for recognition for the win.

I don't know... there are always some terrible fields early in the season in the winter. 

But if you're talking like during the meat of the season then yeah.

Edited by ztejas

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/33843339/greg-norman-says-top-golfers-backed-saudi-backed-upstart-golf-league-phil-mickelson-controversial-comments

Norman still hustling trying to get the LIV tour off the ground. I dont know that I buy his comments that Phil's comments scuttled the momentum they had in Feb, but his comments certainly were the trigger for the shitstorm. My guess is that even if Phil didnt give the interview, upon launch the PGA tour would still have threatened players and plenty of other people would have filled in the "Saudis are scary motherfuckers" commentary. Its not like Phil was the first person to break the story that the Saudis carved up Khashoggi. Will be curious to see who shows up for the first event in London. Gonna be a lot of prize money for what will likely be a "meh" talent pool. 

On 4/21/2022 at 1:45 PM, Wally Fairway said:

that Mexico event says hold my cerveza.

at least they got the only big name there as the winner (Jon Rahm).  but what a terrible field.

• Hook 'Em 1

While Mickelson was making $40 million per year during those years of gambling losses — which occurred around the peak of his career — Shipnuck did some back-of-the-envelope math to conclude that the habit might have cost him all or most of his money once his costs were accounted for.

“In those prime earning years, his income was estimated to be just north of $40 million a year,” Shipnuck wrote. “That’s an obscene amount of money, but once he paid his taxes (including the California tariffs he publicly railed against), he was left with, what, low-20s? Then he had to cover his plane and mansion(s), plus his agent, caddie, pilots, chef, personal trainer, swing coaches and sundry others.

“Throw in all the other expenses of a big life — like an actual T. Rex skull for a birthday present — and that leaves, what, $10 million? Per the government audit, that’s roughly how much Mickelson averaged in annual gambling losses. (And we don’t know what we don’t know.) In other words, it’s quite possible he was barely breaking even, or maybe even in the red. And Mickelson’s income dropped considerably during his winless years from 2014 to ’17.”

Shipnuck points out that disputes over hundreds of thousands of dollars in back pay were at the heart of Mickelson’s split from longtime caddie Jim “Bones” Mackay in 2017, and posits that the “real motivation” behind Mickelson’s exuberance over the Saudi Golf League was the “funny money” the upstart league was offering golfers to defect from the PGA Tour — potentially due to depleted finances from Mickelson’s gambling losses.

Edited by Jive Turkey

4 hours ago, Hate said:

Sergio has always been a turd.  A couple of more shots like that and we won't have to worry about him anymore.

This is probably the dissenting post due to the media and that’s ok.  But, he’’s actually a pretty cool guy in real life. I can forgive the tempers while in competition.  IRL, I think I am a pretty laid back likable guy.  You stick me in a race car with the competitive juices flowing and it’s Jekyll and Hyde.  

8 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

While Mickelson was making $40 million per year during those years of gambling losses — which occurred around the peak of his career — Shipnuck did some back-of-the-envelope math to conclude that the habit might have cost him all or most of his money once his costs were accounted for.

“In those prime earning years, his income was estimated to be just north of $40 million a year,” Shipnuck wrote. “That’s an obscene amount of money, but once he paid his taxes (including the California tariffs he publicly railed against), he was left with, what, low-20s? Then he had to cover his plane and mansion(s), plus his agent, caddie, pilots, chef, personal trainer, swing coaches and sundry others.

“Throw in all the other expenses of a big life — like an actual T. Rex skull for a birthday present — and that leaves, what, $10 million? Per the government audit, that’s roughly how much Mickelson averaged in annual gambling losses. (And we don’t know what we don’t know.) In other words, it’s quite possible he was barely breaking even, or maybe even in the red. And Mickelson’s income dropped considerably during his winless years from 2014 to ’17.”

Shipnuck points out that disputes over hundreds of thousands of dollars in back pay were at the heart of Mickelson’s split from longtime caddie Jim “Bones” Mackay in 2017, and posits that the “real motivation” behind Mickelson’s exuberance over the Saudi Golf League was the “funny money” the upstart league was offering golfers to defect from the PGA Tour — potentially due to depleted finances from Mickelson’s gambling losses.

that’s not gambling, that’s losing