Rolling Stone's Top 500 songs of all time

Jive Turkey

On 9/17/2021 at 12:32 PM, ztejas said:

They should do it by genre if they want to try and actually contribute something. 

Well yeah of course in a sane world, but then the point they are trying to make with this list would be lost.

Edited by dcar00

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

That has nothing to do with good music or best songs. You may as well defend Brittney's "Toxic" ranking. 

I don't know where Toxic is listed, but in the context of this list it seems as justifiable as anything else. You may notice that the point precisely that I was making re:Missy Elliott is that her influence may have been stronger in the elements of hip hop outside of MC/producing. Although, particularly in the case of hip hop, I think that the context surrounding a song can be extremely important in how the song is judged. And if this was a list of songs judged on the merit of songcraft (which it fairly clearly is not, as evidenced by the fact that they list recording artists rather than songwriters, among other things), how to even precisely judge hip hop at all would be tough in many (not all) instances.

Edited by Celery Man