I did something stupid today

Baboontyme

I've got a touch of OCD. I don't like wires. My SUV is a 2019 and has Android auto which I use. But it's not wireless. Trust me this has bothered me enough that I have considered upgrading to a newer vehicle. That's not really realistic at this time given the current market. The USB jack is inside a compartment with a small faux wood paneled door that flips open and shut towards the front end of my center console which is very large and extends all the way forward almost underneath the dash. So I got to thinking I could drill a small hole in an inconspicuous spot from the inside of this compartment through the back where a hole would be unseen and then I wouldn't have a wire to deal with. I've done similar mods in my previous SUV to hook up smart TV to the rear entertainment. 

TL:DR I drilled a hole in the top of the faux wood paneled flip open door. When the door is open it folds into the inside of the compartment. By my eyeballs I did not think it hung low enough to get in the way. But I was wrong. I would like to replace this little door. It seems to be layered under a lot of trim panels and I'd just as soon order the part and pay someone who knows what they're doing to fix it. I don't really think I want to take the car to the dealer and show them that I drilled through the center console though. I don't think that would have warranty implications but I'm not certain. More than that, I may trade in at some point and I don't really want a service record on file about the hole that was drilled into the console. 

I'm thinking maybe a car stereo place? What's my best bet for finding the part and a place to do the work?

You are way overthinking this, no way a service record for replacing a piece of console trim is going to affect value for any sale, much less a trade-in. And unless you drilled into a wiring harness behind the panel, no, there will be no way they can try to point anything at warranty. If anything, you should have the dealer do the replacement, because if they yank the console apart and damage something else that later needs warranty, they can't deny it. If you have Joe Bob's Awesome Car Audio And Rimz yank your console apart, there's more chance they damage something that the dealer can deny.

That all said, very unlikely the door is available separately, so you might need to look for a wrecker or eBay to get just the little door. And it may not be easily changeable, might never have been designed to be removable.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

How the fuck do you have a 2019 SUV that doesn't have that go through Bluetooth?

Android Auto is weird.  It uses bluetooth, yes, but it also uses USB.

Wireless Android Auto is a very new thing.  Only the latest head units have it.

And, now, Google is ditching Android Auto.

Boon, go find a forum for your vehicle and peruse or make this same type post.  Someone has probably dealt with a similar issue and can point to the part number and assembly instructions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Just name the hole "South Austin's Mom" & keep your finger in it all the time.

That's the drive through at Chick-fil-a

Edited by slorch

On 9/18/2021 at 12:39 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Why not get a Carsify adapter to go wireless? 

I had never heard of this. Where were you last week dipshit?

I will buy this after I finish paying off my new center console. After looking at it a bit more I'm pretty sure Sam is into something. I don't think the door comes out. I think the entire console might be one piece. Jesus Christ I'm a fucking idiot. 

• Haha 2

I did a quick search and located the assembly that comes with the door on it. Not cheap. It would be the one on the left. I guess I could contact this seller and see if they can sell the door only. I don't think this is something I can fix with a wrap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373666708218?hash=item5700457afa%3Ag%3Ah08AAOSwZ45hBUHl&fits=Submodel%3ASelect|Year%3A2018|Engine+-+Liter_Display%3A3.5L|Model%3ANavigator|Make%3ALincoln|Trim%3ASelect+Sport+Utility+4-Door|Engine%3A3.5L+3496CC+213Cu.+In.+V6+GAS+DOHC+Turbocharged

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

I did a quick search and located the assembly that comes with the door on it. Not cheap. It would be the one on the left. I guess I could contact this seller and see if they can sell the door only. I don't think this is something I can fix with a wrap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373666708218?hash=item5700457afa%3Ag%3Ah08AAOSwZ45hBUHl&fits=Submodel%3ASelect|Year%3A2018|Engine+-+Liter_Display%3A3.5L|Model%3ANavigator|Make%3ALincoln|Trim%3ASelect+Sport+Utility+4-Door|Engine%3A3.5L+3496CC+213Cu.+In.+V6+GAS+DOHC+Turbocharged

You might check auto wrecking yards.  You might be able to find a door at one of those places - for much cheaper than $1000.