Vince Young Perpetual Appreciation Thread

Mole

1 hour ago, Carlosdanger said:

Field day at his son’s school a couple of weeks ago.

3592F441-1026-409C-B379-A9B8A1A72799.jpeg

5DBF8493-63D9-425F-8357-45D86D826D0B.jpeg

Nice! How old is his kiddo now?

ETA: Or to be more direct, what mininghorn said.

Edited by wood
  • Haha 1

On 5/11/2022 at 7:07 PM, SlingeroGuitaro said:

Roy was a hell of a blocker his senior year.

and Blalock picking up the blitzer on the 4th down play us a thing of beauty

Yep. Had that block not been made, that play looks totally different. 

Also, thanks Pete Carroll for wasting a timeout on the 2 point play and not saving it for that last drive that would have easily came in handy 👌

• Hook 'Em 2

Watched 05 again tonight.  Damn, that was an incredible team.  We're a long way from that.  Baby steps.

The feeling that a win was possible, down 12 with 6+ to go, was eerie.  Every Texas fan knew what was about to happen.  And then it did.  

Oh yeah, fuck Matt Leinart.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

The feeling that a win was possible, down 12 with 6+ to go, was eerie.  Every Texas fan knew what was about to happen.  And then it did.  

I literally went into what I call "checklist mode," which is something I've only done twice in my whole life. It means exactly what it implies: that you just say exactly what needs to happen next. You don't do that shit unless that team is, as you say, incredible.

I started doing it right after Jarrett caught their last TD.

"Step one, score with 4 minutes left"

Done at 4:03

"Step two, get the ball back with 2 minutes left"

Done at 2:09. My dad actually thought White made the first down at first, but I told him "look at the linesman on our side (we were sitting on the press box side)."

"Step three, score with 10 seconds left"

Ok, that was also done a little ahead of schedule and that was the one thing we didn't want...but like @Vic Mackey just said, they foolishly wasted that timeout and it definitely forced the issue.

"Step four, get the two point"

Yeah, that certainly was an EABOD play.

"Step five, keep the kickoff on the ground, don't let them get past the 35"

They got to the 31

"Step six, ride the bitch out."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

I literally went into what I call "checklist mode," which is something I've only done twice in my whole life. It means exactly what it implies: that you just say exactly what needs to happen next. You don't do that shit unless that team is, as you say, incredible.

Done at 2:09. My dad actually thought White made the first down at first, but I told him "look at the linesman on our side (we were sitting on the press box side)."

Ok, that was also done a little ahead of schedule and that was the one thing we didn't want...but like @Vic Mackey just said, they foolishly wasted that timeout and it definitely forced the issue.

They got to the 31

I need to go back and watch that final USC drive. It's been awhile but off memory:

Was it the kickoff or one of their offensive plays that had a ton of potential? I remember Bush (I think) had a convoy in front of him and very dangerous to taking it to the house or at least FG range.

That entire is different had they had that timeout. They easily could have gotten into FG range to tie the game. And I believe their clock management on that drive was terrible. They easily could have gotten off a few more plays even without the timeout than they actually ran.

And going back to the game winning drive, a couple memories:

The drive started terrible. 2 no gains and in 3rd and 10 right off the bat.

That personal foul penalty that gifted us a 1st down was HUGE. I believe it was about to be 4th down if that that did not happen. It happened right in front our sideline.

Didn't one of their DBs (Bing maybe) drop an easy pick on the final drive or the drive before? That would have iced the game.

When we got down to 1st and goal, VY threw an extremely dangerous pass into double coverage on I believe 1st or 2nd down in the endzone that could have been disaster and ended the game.

That whole game had so many what ifs and key moments from start to finish. I might be biased (I am) but I can not remember a national championship since then that comes close to that game. There will never be another UT/USC 2005 type of game.

Now I want to go watch the game in full talking about it lol.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hpslugga said:

Yep. VY going up the middle and powering right through some big mfers was a quintessential "Fuck You" moment ... not just to USC, but even more to the Heisman voters and sports media, imho.

• Hook 'Em 1

To quote our current head coach from last week at a luncheon, "Yeah, think about how I feel.  I called that 4th and 2 play [for USC]."

And you know what.  That punch line.  Totally worth it.  I'd love to play in/win another.  But we won the best game ever.  The best game ever.  Ever.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, hpslugga said:

They got to the 31

If I had a superpower like "checklist mode," I would use it more often.

On 5/19/2022 at 1:11 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Was it the kickoff or one of their offensive plays that had a ton of potential? I remember Bush (I think) had a convoy in front of him and very dangerous to taking it to the house or at least FG range.

1st play after the kickoff. bush could have cut back to his left, but i always wondered if he had been told to go out of bounds as sc was out of timeouts.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Care to share?

We were very drunk and elated, after the game, and walked into a In and Out Burger, and there was this white trash looking girl at a table with her boy friend and she was mouthing off about all us Texas fans.  I walked up to their table and said to her boy friend, “You need to tell your buttpuppet to shut the fuck up!!  Giving him a hard look, then spontaneously about 20+ Longhorns in the place broke out into the Eyes of Texas!  The Buttpuppet and her boyfriend left.  It was hilarious!🤘

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2022 at 2:11 PM, Vic Mackey said:

I need to go back and watch that final USC drive. It's been awhile but off memory:

That entire is different had they had that timeout. They easily could have gotten into FG range to tie the game. And I believe their clock management on that drive was terrible. They easily could have gotten off a few more plays even without the timeout than they actually ran.

And going back to the game winning drive, a couple memories:

The drive started terrible. 2 no gains and in 3rd and 10 right off the bat.

That personal foul penalty that gifted us a 1st down was HUGE. I believe it was about to be 4th down if that that did not happen. It happened right in front our sideline.

Didn't one of their DBs (Bing maybe) drop an easy pick on the final drive or the drive before? That would have iced the game.

When we got down to 1st and goal, VY threw an extremely dangerous pass into double coverage on I believe 1st or 2nd down in the endzone that could have been disaster and ended the game.

That whole game had so many what ifs and key moments from start to finish. I might be biased (I am) but I can not remember a national championship since then that comes close to that game. There will never be another UT/USC 2005 type of game.

Now I want to go watch the game in full talking about it lol.

Yep...Ryan Ting didn't even try to intercept the ball, just knocked it to the ground.  If he had tried to catch it, he would have, and that would have been game over right there.  That probably still keeps him awake at night.

The only other one I can think of that MIGHT be close is the first Clemson title game over 'Bama...the one where Deshaun Watson drove Clemson down for a game winning TD with seconds left.  In the post game interview, he mentioned thinking of VY during the drive.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

No one remembers Bama/UGA pt 1? I think TX/USC was better but a walk off TD in OT for a national championship is pretty close. 

The difference in hype/buildup/anticipation on a national scale between those two games isn’t remotely close…

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/20/2022 at 3:46 PM, strangulation! said:

1st play after the kickoff. bush could have cut back to his left, but i always wondered if he had been told to go out of bounds as sc was out of timeouts.

The clock stops on a kickoff return as soon as the runner is down and does not start until the next snap.

8 hours ago, strangulation! said:

actually i'm less of an idiot than i thought. it was usc's first play from scrimmage after the kickoff - kind of a shovel pass to bush that moved usc from their 30 to our 43.

Yeah that play had the potential to go really big. In retrospect Bush should have cut hard back all the way toward the press box sideline and taken his chances, timeouts regardless. He might have fucking scored…

Edited by Ignatius

• 2 weeks later...

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/College-footballs-top-25-all-time-quarterbacks-ranked-189571764/#189571764_1

Stadium Talk:  "College football's top 25 all-time quarterbacks, ranked"

By BRAD CRAWFORD Jul 2, 12:15 PM

3. VINCE YOUNG, TEXAS

10383001.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off

One of two Texas quarterbacks who should have a bronze trophy in his case joining McCoy, Vince Young was different. After finishing second to Reggie Bush in 2005, Young took it personal and almost single-handedly beat USC in the national championship game with a memorable drive and game-winning touchdown run in the final moments. He finished with 26 touchdown passes and 1,050 yards rushing that season. For his three-year career in Austin, Young was responsible for over 9,000 yards of total offense and 81 touchdowns, cementing his status as one of the greatest all-time in the college ranks.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Young took it personal and almost single-handedly beat USC in the national championship game…

I know you didn’t write that, but statements like this are ridiculous. Love me some VY and he was the heart of that team, but there were 24 players on that team that would play in the NFL.  Twenty fucking four.  We had backups in that game that would play on Sundays.  Stacked top to bottom on both sides.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That's literally the worst college QB list I've ever seen. And not because VY is 3rd (that's actually one of the only rankings that is defensible). 

Anyone that needs a good laugh check out that link. 

Not a Lujak fan?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2022 at 11:36 AM, LTtxfan said:

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/College-footballs-top-25-all-time-quarterbacks-ranked-189571764/#189571764_1

Stadium Talk:  "College football's top 25 all-time quarterbacks, ranked"

By BRAD CRAWFORD Jul 2, 12:15 PM

3. VINCE YOUNG, TEXAS

10383001.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off

One of two Texas quarterbacks who should have a bronze trophy in his case joining McCoy, Vince Young was different. After finishing second to Reggie Bush in 2005, Young took it personal and almost single-handedly beat USC in the national championship game with a memorable drive and game-winning touchdown run in the final moments. He finished with 26 touchdown passes and 1,050 yards rushing that season. For his three-year career in Austin, Young was responsible for over 9,000 yards of total offense and 81 touchdowns, cementing his status as one of the greatest all-time in the college ranks.

Michael Vick at 17?  That's serious "WTF?" territory.

• Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

July 14th

Vince Young on Arch Manning: When you play at Texas you are an NFL quarterback ALREADY | First Take

Vince Young 'Hearing' Arch Manning Will Redshirt When He Arrives at Texas

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10042213-vince-young-hearing-arch-manning-will-redshirt-when-he-arrives-at-texas

Excerpt

Texas Longhorns fans might be waiting a while to see quarterback Arch Manning take the field. Vince Young said Thursday on ESPN's First Take (h/t Stephen Samra of On3) that he's heard Manning will redshirt his freshman season:

"I really feel like Arch has a great opportunity. One of the things that I am hearing is that he is going to redshirt. That's going to help out a lot so you can understand how to travel with the team, get the feel of the fans, the university. So, when you have those types of things and you take a year off like when I played with Coach [Mack] Brown, I redshirted. And I feel like that redshirt year helped me understand how to be a quarterback at the University of Texas, and then what you go through, traveling and things like that.

So, if he does that, I really feel like it's going to be good for him to sit back and kind of learn and also get familiar with the offense and stuff like that. Hopefully, if he does that, I think that's going to help him for the future."

When VY committed to Texas, it helped draw more big bodied OL talent to Texas.  

Sark quote in Athletic article July 14th...

“So much of your team and your program and the identity of that comes through the big people up front,” Sarkisian said. “I remember talking to Vince (Young) after I’d been here and talking to Kasey Studdard. Kasey and those guys came because Vince had come, and they said we’re going to be the team that wins a championship and here’s how we do it. They shouldered that, and that takes the pressure off the skill players to perform.

“When you can start mauling people, the game’s a lot easier.”

• Hook 'Em 2

• blacklab changed the title to Vince Young Perpetual Appreciation Thread