Vince Young Perpetual Appreciation Thread

Mole

On 2/2/2021 at 1:03 PM, CycleTex87 said:

So I do like the story line of Vince and Sark together with a couple common goals involving Texas Football and sobriety.  It could be a powerful message to recruits and parents.  Good to have an accountability partner.  Hook 'em.

I've long wondered if VY drank his way out of the league. You don't have to flame out as spectacularly as Sark did at USC. As a player, all you have to do is drink just enough to put on some weight, lose a step, and start racking up soft tissue injuries b/c of dehydration.

We saw all of that with Vince, along with pics of him slamming tequila out of the bottle with his shirt off in nightclubs. If you are a baseball player that's a level of partying you can get away with, but not as an NFL QB who relies on his legs as much as his arm. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2021 at 12:34 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

Please let us know when you figure that out. 

Let's see. Vince never played with Plaxico as far as I'm aware. Plaxico is maybe most famous for shooting himself at a night club. He's also from Virginia and played at Michigan State. 

It made me double take and now I kind of want to know the story. 

• Hook 'Em 1

When Vince was at UT, Mack and the coaching staff originally tried to get him to work within the system. Vince kept doing it his way. They finally "let Vince be Vince" and that's when he became one of the best college QBs ever, maybe the best. That's one thing that everyone who hollers "Fuck Mack Brown" needs to remember. Brown saw Young's unique talents, and instead of forcing Young into a system, he was man enough to subdue his ego and let Young perform. There are a lot of college coaches that would have benched Young when he went off script. 

Then he gets drafted by the Titans and has the walking anus known as Jeff Fisher for a coach. Jeff Fisher was by GOD going to force Young into his system. When Young did it his way, Fisher didn't bench him, he stabbed him in the back, time after time. We're talking about Fisher, the guy who locked his Super Bowl quarterback out of the team facilities, so making up some bullshit story and calling the cops saying he was worried Young was suicidal was just another tactic. 

Young was like Michael Vick and several other qbs, in that they were not going to be successful as traditional quarterbacks. The system had to be flexible enough to accommodate their unique skill sets. Young did try to work with several other teams, but his ego had been shattered, his conditioning wasn't as good, and he was trying to fit into systems as a backup. 

If Young had originally had a head coach in the pros that would have worked with him, he would have had a successful pro career. It wouldn't have been a long one, because his playing style makes him take more hits than the average QB, but his ceiling was a lot higher than what he showed. 

And yeah, that championship game may have been the best game ever played by a QB. 

• Hook 'Em 3

44 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Mack didn’t see Vince’s elite talent. His fucking high school coach had to drive to Austin and bitch out Mack and Greg Davis for putting Vince under center. So no. I don’t give Mack any credit. If anything I want to punch him in the face even more for sort of wasting the first year and half of Vince’s college career 

When VY was a true freshman, Texas entered the season ranked number 2 if I remember right and had a senior Chris Simms at the helm.  He had a heck of a year, too despite the suck in the OU game. Not a coach in the country would have started a true freshman, even a generational talent like Vince in that situation. MB was still looking at a possible BCS berth till the Tech game, which was one of Simms’ best.

7 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Wrong. He redshirted Simms senior year then we started Chance fucking Mock for the first few games. Shit I’m pretty sure chance started that 65-13 ou ass fuck we got used to

How am I wrong? Vince Young was a true freshman and took a redshirt Simms’ senior year (2002). I don’t think any coach in the nation would have started even VY over Simms that first year especially considering how much he needed to develop his passing after coming out of Madison.

Unless you don’t count his RS year as part of his college career, then I get what you’re saying.

Edited by 956 Worldwide

Wasn’t he a partial qualifier and had to redshirt? Even if not, a real coach would’ve thrown together a wildcat package or something for him. But no, Mack and Greg didn’t understand how to put our talent in successful positions until Vince literally told Mack to fuck off 

• Hook 'Em 1

Wasn’t he a partial qualifier and had to redshirt? Even if not, a real coach would’ve thrown together a wildcat package or something for him. But no, Mack and Greg didn’t understand how to put our talent in successful positions until Vince literally told Mack to fuck off 

You don’t waste his talent on some wildcat bullshit. That wasn’t even a thing then. Now, with the redshirt rule being changed, you absolutely get him in some games.

14 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Any Top 10 List without Vince is just wrong...

Tavon Austin tweeted it, and he's #2 on the list. This is just a vanity post. 

I can make a list of the most exciting college players of all time. It would include Vince, Earl, and Ricky. It would also include Barry Sanders. He might be from Oklahoma State, but you held your breath whenever he got the ball. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Any Top 10 List without Vince is just wrong...

What do I think?  I think with the exception of Reggie Bush and maybe Michael Vick, none of the other 8 belong on that list.  Hell, I could probably make a better top 10 list naming only Longhorns.

• Hook 'Em 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 11:38 AM, Richard Kimball said:

When Vince was at UT, Mack and the coaching staff originally tried to get him to work within the system. Vince kept doing it his way. They finally "let Vince be Vince" and that's when he became one of the best college QBs ever, maybe the best. That's one thing that everyone who hollers "Fuck Mack Brown" needs to remember. Brown saw Young's unique talents, and instead of forcing Young into a system, he was man enough to subdue his ego and let Young perform. There are a lot of college coaches that would have benched Young when he went off script. 

Then he gets drafted by the Titans and has the walking anus known as Jeff Fisher for a coach. Jeff Fisher was by GOD going to force Young into his system. When Young did it his way, Fisher didn't bench him, he stabbed him in the back, time after time. We're talking about Fisher, the guy who locked his Super Bowl quarterback out of the team facilities, so making up some bullshit story and calling the cops saying he was worried Young was suicidal was just another tactic. 

Young was like Michael Vick and several other qbs, in that they were not going to be successful as traditional quarterbacks. The system had to be flexible enough to accommodate their unique skill sets. Young did try to work with several other teams, but his ego had been shattered, his conditioning wasn't as good, and he was trying to fit into systems as a backup. 

If Young had originally had a head coach in the pros that would have worked with him, he would have had a successful pro career. It wouldn't have been a long one, because his playing style makes him take more hits than the average QB, but his ceiling was a lot higher than what he showed. 

And yeah, that championship game may have been the best game ever played by a QB. 

Nah. Fuck Mack Brown. And VY could have had a long career. He didn't take more hits than the average QB. Defenses hardly ever got a clean shot on him. He probably took fewer hard shots than most QBs do.

On 3/6/2021 at 12:03 PM, Fletch said:

Mack didn’t see Vince’s elite talent. His fucking high school coach had to drive to Austin and bitch out Mack and Greg Davis for putting Vince under center. So no. I don’t give Mack any credit. If anything I want to punch him in the face even more for sort of wasting the first year and half of Vince’s college career 

Exactly ... and hit him again for wasting Texas Football's opportunity to be "Dual Threat QB U".

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/6/2021 at 1:14 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

How am I wrong? Vince Young was a true freshman and took a redshirt Simms’ senior year (2002). I don’t think any coach in the nation would have started even VY over Simms that first year especially considering how much he needed to develop his passing after coming out of Madison.

Unless you don’t count his RS year as part of his college career, then I get what you’re saying.

Where did someone say FMB should have started freshman VY over senior Chris Simms? His mistakes were not committing to an obviously better, generational talent VY over an OK Chance Mock earlier, and not recognizing sooner how to use him properly.

• Hook 'Em 1

Watch this and tell me he couldn't have had a prodigious NFL career if Jeff Fisher wasn't a megalomaniacal asshole of a coach. Sure, there are more intricate details than that, but Fisher was one of the worst coaches to pair him with. VY still went 30-17 ,for, what was at the time, a terrible franchise. Yes, many of VY's issues were self inflicted, but none of it was helped by Fisher's dickheadedness. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Wonder how we would have done that previous year against USC in a playoff. We were obviously a better team the following year but the way Vince was playing in big games from the second half of that season on makes me feel like we could have had a chance. Would have had Ced and DJ but no Jamaal. Greg Robinson instead of Chizik. Seems like USC was largely the same team as they had the following year. 

We're likely big underdogs but a college football team with Vince on one side of the ball and DJ on the other could beat anyone. Really would have loved to get another chance at OU that season after we finally started just letting VY cook.

On 3/6/2021 at 1:10 PM, Fletch said:

Wrong. He redshirted Simms senior year then we started Chance fucking Mock for the first few games. Shit I’m pretty sure chance started that 65-13 ou ass fuck we got used to

Correct. Vince didn't play until either right before the half, or into the second half. If I remember right, one of his first plays was a busted play that should have been a sack, but Vince turned it into a big gain and almost scored. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Correct. Vince didn't play until either right before the half, or into the second half. If I remember right, one of his first plays was a busted play that should have been a sack, but Vince turned it into a big gain and almost scored. 

Mock started that game but Vince played early in the 1st quarter, our second or third drive I think. Mock and Vince both threw 1Q ints.

I remember being all excited about the game until in ABCs pregame package they cut to a close up of Mock warming up on the field and he had the most obvious "deer in headlights" look I've ever seen an athlete have. My dad and I looked at each other and said "uh oh" and the rest of the day was downhill from there. 

Yeah he had a 70 yard run or something like that. Got tackled around the 15 or so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • blacklab changed the title to Vince Young Perpetual Appreciation Thread