Classic 80’s tunes

NOMAAA

Phil Collins is a great, great talent, but I personally got burned out on him because they played his songs in such a heavy rotation throughout the 80s.  But whenever I hear the above song "In The Air Tonight", I can't help but think of scenes from Miami Vice!!  A great combo!!

Man, I still dig on a lot of 80's tunes by the Smiths, New Order, Echo & the Bunnymen, Stone Roses (they barely slip in), The The and Talking Heads. There are many others. I was a very late-comer to Talking Heads in that I only discovered their true greatness in the last 4-5 years. Wall Street is a terrific time capsule of the 80's and the scene where "This Must Be the Place" is playing is just sublime. At any rate, this is perhaps my favorite Talking Heads' song from the 80's:

• Like 3

On 5/13/2018 at 9:44 PM, Dolemite said:

Ha, CT hates that song and for awhile (and maybe still) refused to play it.....

On 5/14/2018 at 4:45 PM, South Austin said:

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

On 5/14/2018 at 6:17 PM, PencilPusher said:

american-psycho.jpg

Oh for fuck's sake boys..... let's stay away from my greatest hits, shall we?

• Like 2

I was never a fan of STYX, but my claim to fame I guess was going to school (jr high, high school) with Tommy Shaw who was a year older than me.

Girls were always around him even before he started playing music. I never got that either, because he was pretty ugly, but he dressed nice and I guess had some cool factor going.

This is a picture of him coming out of the high school we went too. The girl on the right in plaid lived behind me and she was really really hot. 

12308241_1042300845833888_28412635950837

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dolemite said:

I was never a fan of STYX, but my claim to fame I guess was going to school (jr high, high school) with Tommy Shaw who was a year older than me.

Girls were always around him even before he started playing music. I never got that either, because he was pretty ugly, but he dressed nice and I guess had some cool factor going.

This is a picture of him coming out of the high school we went too. The girl on the right in plaid lived behind me and she was really really hot. 

12308241_1042300845833888_28412635950837

Good story. Did you ever hang out with him? I'm not a huge Styx fan either but I like pretty much all the songs he sang and wrote. 

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:44 PM, davidg said:

bender-and-his-fist.jpg?w=601

In my mind this is the quintessential 80's song.  An iconic song in it's own right, but also on the soundtrack of the movie most synonymous with the 80s.  Great stuff.  Great thread.  

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:05 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

I had never heard of the Violent Femmes but a friend of mine found their cassette somewhere.  We played the hell out of that cassette during road trip from south Texas (League City bitch) to Key West for spring break of my senior year in HS.  Black Mercury Zephyr with no AC.

Good times, good times.

On 5/14/2018 at 6:42 PM, Sbbruin said:

I celebrate the '80's and all of it's glory.  My innocence was lost in that decade.

A great one:

Now there's an actual damn good 80s song.

I wasn't much on 80s music, but I loved me some The Outfield.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

Good story. Did you ever hang out with him? I'm not a huge Styx fan either but I like pretty much all the songs he sang and wrote. 

No, not really. We said hello etc. I knew his friends he knew mine.  It was a pretty good sized JR High, maybe 800 kids and he was in the grade ahead, so he was in high school when I was still in JR high for my last year. The high school had 2400 students or so too.

He played at a local bar and we would always say hello. One day, he was gone from the band and had left to join Styx. He had lived in Chicago and had gained a local reputation for his abilities. His patience ran out though and returned to Montgomery and began playing with a local group, that were all hometown guys.

One of the Styx guys left and he was asked to go and replace him and he was gone. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2018 at 11:44 PM, davidg said:

bender-and-his-fist.jpg?w=601

10 hours ago, Lhorn said:

In my mind this is the quintessential 80's song.  An iconic song in it's own right, but also on the soundtrack of the movie most synonymous with the 80s.  Great stuff.  Great thread.  

I was just driving back out of the city and on the satellite radio they played a little snippet of an interview with Bryan Ferry and he said that he had been sent a demo of this song, but he passed on it.

• Like 1