NFL Week 2 thread

shadow_operative2.0

That shit wasn’t about balls; that was about brains. It’s fucking stupid to hand Patrick Mahomes the ball when only needing a FG. Only way to avoid it was to go for it and make it. 

Yea. I agree with most of that. He’s likely punting if they’re against JimmyG or Jalen Hurts. Mahomes was going to have a min left. Hindsight is you have a better chance at getting one yard vs stopping mahomes in a 1 min drill who only needs a FG

6 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

That shit wasn’t about balls; that was about brains. It’s fucking stupid to hand Patrick Mahomes the ball when only needing a FG. Only way to avoid it was to go for it and make it. 

Yes and no. Go for it and don't make it and you're all but guaranteeing the Chiefs a makeable FG. Punting means they at least have to go 40-50 yards in under a minute with no timeouts--certainly within Mahomes' ability but still not as easy as starting off less than 10 yards from FG position.

Yes and no. Go for it and don't make it and you're all but guaranteeing the Chiefs a makeable FG. Punting means they at least have to go 40-50 yards in under a minute with no timeouts--certainly within Mahomes' ability but still not as easy as starting off less than 10 yards from FG position.

It was probably more ballsy to pass it on third down to gain 6 or 7 yards making 4th and 1 doable vs getting stuffed on 3rd and having to punt

4 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/08/fourth-down-conversions-way-up-this-year/amp/

“Now NFL teams are going for it 69 percent of the time on fourth-and-1, and they’re converting 77 percent of those attempts.

So a 23% chance they don’t make it, doing it with arguably the best running attack in the NFL. 

Whatever percentage you’d evaluate Mahomes leading a drive in a minute to get a FG (and this totally ignores the occasional botched snap, blocked punt, or huge return), it’s almost certainly higher than 23%.

9 hours ago, hpslugga said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/08/fourth-down-conversions-way-up-this-year/amp/

“Now NFL teams are going for it 69 percent of the time on fourth-and-1, and they’re converting 77 percent of those attempts.

So a 23% chance they don’t make it, doing it with arguably the best running attack in the NFL. 

Whatever percentage you’d evaluate Mahomes leading a drive in a minute to get a FG (and this totally ignores the occasional botched snap, blocked punt, or huge return), it’s almost certainly higher than 23%.

Absolutely. And I agree with the call, but I think many coaches--maybe even most of them--pucker there and punt.

The flipside of those punt-and-defend stats is, if you go for it and convert, you've got a 100 percent chance of winning, which is why it was the right thing to do.

I will bet nekkid pics of myself if we do not see Sam on the field in the next three weeks. A bet is a bet. Will put in the proper forum. 

I’ll take that bet! I’ll be sure to avoid any football watching for the next three weeks. “We” will not be seeing him on the field in the specified period of time.
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Absolutely. And I agree with the call, but I think many coaches--maybe even most of them--pucker there and punt.

That's because when coaches don't base their understanding in reasoning, they become susceptible to believing in all sorts of absurdity. The punt is not a fail safe strategy that the folksy conservatives think that it is.

"He's playing the percentages by punting!"

Really? What percentages? 

14 hours ago, hpslugga said:

yep.  Pete Carroll knew the same thing in the Rose Bowl.  punting the ball back to VY was an L.  so he went for it.  we just stuffed it.

Good luck, bro. 

Most sports bettors realize that betting parlays isn't the smartest way to go about business. However, many continue to bet them due to the potential of a large payday that can change their life. 

A bettor at BetMGM placed a $25 parlay, picking a winner for all 16 NFL games this weekend. The parlay could return $726,959. 

The first 15 legs of the parlay have won. The bettor needs the Detroit Lions to upset the Green Bay Packers on Monday night in order to cash the parlay. Currently, Detroit sits at +450 on the moneyline at BetMGM.

—— 

The unfortunate reality for this bettor is that oddsmakers are giving Detroit a less than 20% chance of winning this game. Due to that, the bettor is also not in a real position to hedge his bet. They would need to bet over $630,000 on the Packers moneyline in order to guarantee themselves a profit of near $97,000. Most people don't have that kind of money laying around. 

The bettor might as well let the bet ride. Upsets happen all the time and it was only a $25 bet so the risk is minimal. Most people who bet Detroit on the moneyline tonight will get odds of +450. This bettor will be getting the Lions moneyline at 29,078-to-1. 

Godspeed my friend.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-betting-16-team-parlay-still-alive-heading-into-monday-163204160.html

• Like 1

Just now, shadow_operative2.0 said:

^ They’re only scheduled to do 10 games this season, kinda seems like a waste on this one. 

Not the best game to waste their talents on. But listening to their analysis on Rogers should be interesting if GB falls apart like they did against the Saints BUT you’re right…so many good games coming up

7 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Peyton’s football mind moves so fast that he has trouble sometimes getting all his words out. You can tell he loves talking football. 

He's brilliant. I'm watching at a bar right now and kind of miffed I don't get the Manningcast. 

4 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Peyton dominating the conversation reminds me of my older brother with me. He just owns the room. Eli couldn’t get in a word if he tried

Exactly. My brother is 15 months older and answered every question for me the first 10 years of my life. That never completely goes away.