Gabby Petito case - Dude comes back from couple's cross-country road trip; she's missing, he's silent

LonghornSean

13 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

For sure they aided and abetted or maybe became accessories after the fact, to what extent I don't know, but they definitely packed up quickly after his return and took off with him somewhere.

I guess that would be my question. Before they likely helped him he wasn’t named a suspect or had an arrest warrant. Now, if they help him, they are fucked but I guess it all comes down to the call they made to the police on 9/17 to report him missing. At that time he wasn’t charged, so thats where I get confused. So if they lied then what could they be charged with it it can be proven?

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I guess that would be my question. Before they likely helped him he wasn’t named a suspect or had an arrest warrant. Now, if they help him, they are fucked but I guess it all comes down to the call they made to the police on 9/17 to report him missing. At that time he wasn’t charged, so thats where I get confused. So if they lied then what could they be charged with it it can be proven?

General fuckery.  If someone is acting fucky, you can normally find a law to apply to their fuckery.  It’s FL, so who the fuck knows, but if the cops think they are aiding and abetting, they can find something to charge them with, regardless of when the warrant was issued.  Convicting them of that crime is a different deal, but putting them in front of a jury of their peers is a no-brainer if that’s what the cops want to do.

4 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

@Nicole44 … I bet you sit up all night watching Forensic Files on HLN. 😵💫

2 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Ain't nothing wrong with that

Yes. I like Forensic Files. All those shows. I have to say the original narrator...I had no idea his life. You could make a movie based on Peter Thomas alone. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Thomas_(announcer)

Just a bit of his history: 

Thomas began his career at 14 as an announcer on a local radio show.[6] Since the station could not pay him due to his age, they arranged for the sponsor, Piper Aircraft, to give him flying lessons in a Piper Cub. Within just a few years, Thomas would be hosting Big Band remotes.

With the onset of World War II, Thomas left The Stony Brook School and volunteered for the United States Army in 1943, after being offered an Armed Forces Radio deferment, and served with the First Infantry Division in five major campaigns, including the Battle of Normandy and the Battle of the Bulge. He was issued a Battle star for each of the five campaigns. He was also awarded the Bronze Star, the Purple Heart, the Unit French Croix de guerre, and Belgian Fourragère.[2]

• Like 4

How old were you when you lost your hair?

I was 52…and counting. I will die with a full head of glorious hair like my Grandpa did at 100 years old.

Now, my ear and eyebrow hair may be longer than the hair on my head, but I will still have some.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Yes. I like Forensic Files. All those shows. I have to say the original narrator...I had no idea his life. You could make a movie based on Peter Thomas alone. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Thomas_(announcer)

Just a bit of his history: 

Thomas began his career at 14 as an announcer on a local radio show.[6] Since the station could not pay him due to his age, they arranged for the sponsor, Piper Aircraft, to give him flying lessons in a Piper Cub. Within just a few years, Thomas would be hosting Big Band remotes.

With the onset of World War II, Thomas left The Stony Brook School and volunteered for the United States Army in 1943, after being offered an Armed Forces Radio deferment, and served with the First Infantry Division in five major campaigns, including the Battle of Normandy and the Battle of the Bulge. He was issued a Battle star for each of the five campaigns. He was also awarded the Bronze Star, the Purple Heart, the Unit French Croix de guerre, and Belgian Fourragère.[2]

Thanks for the info .. I can hear his voice now.

First 48 fan, too?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

I enjoy Forensic Files too,   

Side benefit - Keeps my wife on her toes.

My wife and I would stay up watching FF when we were dating.  We joke that when one of us finally decides to murder the other, we'll probably get away with it thanks to all the lessons learned watching those shows.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Satoshi said:

Disagree strongly. Memphis is obviously the best. Great cops and good stories.  

I do like them also. Tulsa was my favorite bc every time they would find a witness, usually is was a methhead and they had to try and make sense out of that. Most of the ones I liked have retired out of that force. Memphis is very good. Atlanta also. 

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

I do like them also. Tulsa was my favorite bc every time they would find a witness, usually is was a methhead and they had to try and make sense out of that. Most of the ones I liked have retired out of that force. Memphis is very good. Atlanta also. 

When the show first started, it was in Miami and it was fantastic.  The style they used in the first season was a little more slice of life, behind the scenes approach, where they'd show the detectives interacting with their own families too, and how their fucked up work hours impacted their personal lives.  It added so much more to the drama and made the cops even more engaging.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hairy Biped said:

When the show first started, it was in Miami and it was fantastic.  The style they used in the first season was a little more slice of life, behind the scenes approach, where they'd show the detectives interacting with their own families too, and how their fucked up work hours impacted their personal lives.  It added so much more to the drama and made the cops even more engaging.  

Agreed. Whenever people come down on cops (rightfully so in many cases) I point them in the direction of that series. Homicide detectives have my respect. 

1 minute ago, Updawg said:

Damn. I thought you were at least 60 or 70 to act like such an insufferable cunt. Wow

Respect your elders! Man! Damn!

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I really hope the cops had more reason to believe he was in those swamps than “he told his family that’s where he was going”. All that searching and effort just on the word of a murderer is beyond stupid.

catch 22. if they don't follow the lead and he was in there the whole time, they'd be getting an insane amount shit. it's much safer and pragmatic by doing the due diligence and following up on that "lead", especially if it came from the family. 

15 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Ha! Looking forward to meeting people. 

Also, this means anything (else--I put the else in there bc imo his parents have already helped him) his parents do to assist him from here on out becomes criminal. A little fuzzy on if they have done anything that they can be charged with up until this point. Unless, something they reported to the North Port police when they were reporting their son "missing" was a lie. 

They’ve been lawyered up, I doubt they will be able to get any evidence the parents conspired to do anything illegal.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, smuggs said:

When Maj. Caroline Mason walks in the room you better start talkin.

MV5BMTQyNTcwNDA1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzY2

Yes that’s my girl. 

A fun fact from a colleague that’s a primary care physician in Dallas. One of his patients is one of the homicide cops on the Dallas shows. He said they eventually opted to stop filming because the show was hurting their efforts. Criminals were learning that if you just shut up, then you’ll get away with it a lot of the time. They depend so much on confessions. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

catch 22. if they don't follow the lead and he was in there the whole time, they'd be getting an insane amount shit. it's much safer and pragmatic by doing the due diligence and following up on that "lead", especially if it came from the family. 

especially if by doing so you may be able to prove the family knowingly lied 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Y'all gotta admit if John Walsh catches this fuck before the FBI and cops do (they just spent who knows how much in the swamp and probably still will looking for his ass) it would be cool. 

The cops have no choice, they have to investigate the nature reserve.  Imagine the optics if they take the John Walsh approach and call bs on the reserve story and don't go there, only to find out later he's been there the whole time.  Law enforcement has to follow and exhaust that lead or it would be devastating to find out later he was there.  I know it gives that shit head a head start, but you have at least take the parents on their word, as terrible as that sounds.  My problem with the matter is why he wasn't at least tracked from day 1, like put a cop outside the house non-stop until Wyoming officials have at least had time to do their job, which they did with help from the Vlogger.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not much concrete here, but two investigators discuss where he might be... not much besides them guessing but a few items of note:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/gabby-petito-case-where-could-brian-laundrie-be-10-days-after-slipping-away/ar-AAOLYfd

Synopsis:
1) Used swamp as cover to go elsewhere (yeah, we know);
2) Possible location could be S. Florida (det. says he gets hired to find a lot of rehab kids there who live on nothing, FWIW);
3) They don't think Mexico (too many Americans would recognize him) or C. America (you need money to survive, else the authorities quickly re-patriate you);
4) Possibly back out West, or somewhere far from FL where people are less likely to have him in mind;
5) FBI not "handling" the swamp situation (it's still local police) because FBI doesn't think he's there (interesting);
6) Both do not think he's killed himself (I agree, why not just kill yourself in the house or something, after all, you'll be dead and who cares where you're found?);

(Not in this article but others - he left his phone and wallet at the house (my guess is he's got stolen stuff, and the arrest charges seem to indicate that).

I gotta say if this guy isn't dead he's sure learning quickly or has a knack for shrewd crime planning.  And I don't think he's dead.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

That’s not a catch 22, like at all.

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

That’s not a catch 22, like at all.

riddle me how it's not a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation. riddle me how the situation is not either the "Essential Meaning of catch-22" or 2.C below.

the police/fbi spent all this time looking and some people are complaining that they are wasting time following a "lead" by the family to throw off the search. but if they didn't spend all that time in the swamp thinking it's a false lead by the family and the dude is actually in the swamp, people complain the police/fbi are stupid for not listening the family and following up on the lead. either way, people bitch. ergo, the police/fbi are in a catch 22.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/catch-22

Essential Meaning of catch-22

: a difficult situation for which there is no easy or possible solution
I'm in a catch-22: to get the job I need experience, but how do I get experience if I can't get the job?

Full Definition of catch-22

1: a problematic situation for which the only solution is denied by a circumstance inherent in the problem or by a rule
the show-business catch-22—no work unless you have an agent, no agent unless you've worked— Mary Murphyalso : the circumstance or rule that denies a solution

a: an illogical, unreasonable, or senseless situation
b: a measure or policy whose effect is the opposite of what was intended
c: a situation presenting two equally undesirable alternatives

3: a hidden difficulty or means of entrapment : CATCH
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

riddle me how it's not a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation. riddle me how the situation is not either the "Essential Meaning of catch-22" or 2.C below.

the police/fbi spent all this time looking and some people are complaining that they are wasting time following a "lead" by the family to throw off the search. but if they didn't spend all that time in the swamp thinking it's a false lead by the family and the dude is actually in the swamp, people complain the police/fbi are stupid for not listening the family and following up on the lead. either way, people bitch. ergo, the police/fbi are in a catch 22.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/catch-22

Essential Meaning of catch-22

: a difficult situation for which there is no easy or possible solution
I'm in a catch-22: to get the job I need experience, but how do I get experience if I can't get the job?

Full Definition of catch-22

1: a problematic situation for which the only solution is denied by a circumstance inherent in the problem or by a rule
the show-business catch-22—no work unless you have an agent, no agent unless you've worked— Mary Murphyalso : the circumstance or rule that denies a solution

a: an illogical, unreasonable, or senseless situation
b: a measure or policy whose effect is the opposite of what was intended
c: a situation presenting two equally undesirable alternatives

3: a hidden difficulty or means of entrapment : CATCH

That's your problem right there, you are using merriam fucking webster as your source. What MW is describing is a dilemma, not a catch-22.

3 minutes ago, XYZ said:

That's your problem right there, you are using merriam fucking webster as your source. What MW is describing is a dilemma, not a catch-22.

i was wrong to use a dictionary, probably THE dictionary, as a source of truth for what a word or phrase means. totally my bad. 

Edited by crash_davis
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

The cops have no choice, they have to investigate the nature reserve.  Imagine the optics if they take the John Walsh approach and call bs on the reserve story and don't go there, only to find out later he's been there the whole time.  Law enforcement has to follow and exhaust that lead or it would be devastating to find out later he was there.  I know it gives that shit head a head start, but you have at least take the parents on their word, as terrible as that sounds.  My problem with the matter is why he wasn't at least tracked from day 1, like put a cop outside the house non-stop until Wyoming officials have at least had time to do their job, which they did with help from the Vlogger.

That is not a Catch-22 situation.  A Catch-22 situation is an impossible situation because you cannot do one thing until you do another thing, but you cannot do the second thing until you do the first thing. 

• Hook 'Em 1