Gabby Petito case - Dude comes back from couple's cross-country road trip; she's missing, he's silent

LonghornSean

At least he did the right thing in the end and spared us all some trial.  To Brisket's point, I wish he had done it before killing her.  I guess he knew he was going to do it all along, but wanted to see his parents one last time. 

Edit:  Or course, it does beg the question of when he did it.  Did he do it before her body was found when he thought he may be able to get away with it or did he only do it when he knew he was done? 

Edited by Hate

On 10/21/2021 at 7:01 PM, dcbc said:

The lack of air conditioning would do me in.

I am in my lower 40s and have lived in air conditioning for around 10 years, most of them as a student. No a/c wouldn’t bother me much. 
What would do me in is shitting in front of other people and other people shitting in front of me. No thank you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

At least he did the right thing in the end and spared us all some trial.  To Brisket's point, I wish he had done it before killing her.  I guess he knew he was going to do it all along, but wanted to see his parents one last time. 

Edit:  Or course, it does beg the question of when he did it.  Did he do it before her body was found when he thought he may be able to get away with it or did he only do it when he knew he was done? 

I’d wager it was the plan to off himself if he couldn’t get out of the country quicker and they probably found her body faster than he anticipated. I’d say he offed himself the day the vlog found their van in the vlog and he knew he was screwed

17 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

He did it in the wrong order.  These murder-suicide assholes always get it wrong.  FIRST, commit suicide, THEN commit the murder.  Trust me, that's the way it should go.

This is one of my cardinal rules about pitching. If you are going to give up a home run, do it before you let people get on base. If people are on base, don't give up a home run.

16 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

I am in my lower 40s and have lived in air conditioning for around 10 years, most of them as a student. No a/c wouldn’t bother me much. 
What would do me in is shitting in front of other people and other people shitting in front of me. No thank you. 

A friend of mine was in jail one time and this young Black kid was flipping out about the toilet, which was right in the middle of the tank and kind of raised up so everybody could see you.

"What? I got to shit in that thing? For real? Ain't know way I'm shitting in that thing, just ain't know way. I just ain't gonna shit...."

He was so freaked out he was practically crying.

And old Morgan Freeman type came over and put his hand around his shoulder.

"Oh, you gon' shit, boy," he said. "You gon' shit."

This is where my mind goes when something terrible is inevitably going to happen.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

(CNN)Brian Laundrie died by suicide from a gunshot wound to the head, an attorney for the Laundrie family told CNN on Tuesday.

"Chris and Roberta Laundrie have been informed that the cause of death was a gunshot wound to the head and the manner of death was suicide," said attorney Steven Bertolino. 

CNN has reached out to authorities for further comment, and has followed up with Bertolino regarding how Laundrie came to be in possession of a gun.

Where's the gun?

11 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

A friend of mine was in jail one time and this young Black kid was flipping out about the toilet, which was right in the middle of the tank and kind of raised up so everybody could see you.

Reminds me of a December 1992 night I spent in gen pop in a Harris County jail- luckily it ended up being for only 5-6 hours. Me and a buddy, both white boys who were barely 18, were guests for the night- arriving around 1:00a.m.

Once processed and thrown into the common area we sat down against a wall doing our best to stay unnoticed and out of the way. The room had 5 or so metal hexagonal "picnic" tables and a few pay phones along one of the walls. All in all there were maybe 100 or so occupants in the room. 

I remember a hispanic guy using one of the phones yelling and shouting constantly to the point where all of the black peeps were yelling at him to shut the fuck up. He refused to shut up and continued yelling into the the phone- this led to the black inmates ripping him away from the phone, mid conversation, and bashing his head against a corner of one of the metal picnic tables long enough for him to pass out while bleeding heavily and collapsing on the floor. Some guards eventually showed up ~10 minutes later and dragged him out of the room.

It kinda looked like he was still breathing at that point, but I have no idea how that played out for him. 

Good times

46 minutes ago, KaiserSoze said:

Reminds me of a December 1992 night I spent in gen pop in a Harris County jail- luckily it ended up being for only 5-6 hours. Me and a buddy, both white boys who were barely 18, were guests for the night- arriving around 1:00a.m.

Once processed and thrown into the common area we sat down against a wall doing our best to stay unnoticed and out of the way. The room had 5 or so metal hexagonal "picnic" tables and a few pay phones along one of the walls. All in all there were maybe 100 or so occupants in the room. 

I remember a hispanic guy using one of the phones yelling and shouting constantly to the point where all of the black peeps were yelling at him to shut the fuck up. He refused to shut up and continued yelling into the the phone- this led to the black inmates ripping him away from the phone, mid conversation, and bashing his head against a corner of one of the metal picnic tables long enough for him to pass out while bleeding heavily and collapsing on the floor. Some guards eventually showed up ~10 minutes later and dragged him out of the room.

It kinda looked like he was still breathing at that point, but I have no idea how that played out for him. 

Good times

And that poor guys name?  Alberto Einstein

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Brian Laundrie wrote in a notebook found with his remains in Florida that he killed fiancee Gabby Petito, the FBI said Friday, resolving a mystery that has lingered around the high-profile case for months.

The FBI offered new details in the case, presented a thorough timeline of the events surrounding both Laundrie and Petito's disappearances and announced the case will be closed with Laundrie as the only suspect in Petito's death.

"The investigation did not identify any other individuals other than Brian Laundrie directly involved in the tragic death of Gabby Petito," FBI Denver Division Special Agent in Charge Michael Schneider said in a written statement.

https://news.yahoo.com/brian-laundrie-wrote-notebook-killed-210958819.html

Just a sad story all around. She let herself get victimized by a spineless little bitch of a man, which means she probably was mentally or physically abused by someone similar earlier in her life. 

Him... a total bitch boy. Probably made that way by his shit parents. 

On 1/21/2022 at 11:52 PM, 0xdeadbeef said:

I'm pretty sure he did kill her, but all the same, the FBI has so little creditability with me that unless they release images of the notebook to his family and the press, I not really sure I believe them.

Exactly. I'd like to know what exactly George Soros was up to late August 2021. Follow the clues people

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...

NSIAP

https://www.fox13news.com/news/brian-laundries-family-will-face-jury-for-allegedly-knowing-gabby-petitos-death-during-search

Reilly said that Bertolino, who is no longer representing the Laundries, released a false and misleading statement during the time when Gabby's parents still hoped she would be found alive. 

"When they spoke up, they made that very callous, very terrible statement, giving hope to Joe and Nichole that perhaps Gabby was still alive, with full knowledge that she was not alive," said Patrick Reilly, the lawyer representing Gabby's family.

The Laundries' new lawyer, Matthew Luka, filed a motion to have the civil case dismissed, saying his clients did not have a duty or obligation to speak, citing the first and fifth amendments.

I'm no fan of Brian Laundrie or his parents, but this strikes me as remarkably bad precedent. What do the lawyers think

9 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

NSIAP

https://www.fox13news.com/news/brian-laundries-family-will-face-jury-for-allegedly-knowing-gabby-petitos-death-during-search

I'm no fan of Brian Laundrie or his parents, but this strikes me as remarkably bad precedent. What do the lawyers think

It's only a bad precedent if the motion to dismiss doesn't work, it goes to trial, and they are found liable.

Families of criminals are in a tough spot already.  Imposing a burden on them to volunteer information would indeed be a bad precedent. If they knowingly volunteer wrong information, that may be prosecutable, certainly in response to interrogation by law enforcement.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

. If they knowingly volunteer wrong information, that may be prosecutable, certainly in response to interrogation by law enforcement.

This was the first thing that came to mind. If they in fact knew she was dead and made a statement otherwise why are they not prosecuted?. To this layman sounds like the parents are accessories after the fact and maybe aiding the criminal escape. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bookman said:

Not to get too lawyerly, but how could they really "know" she was dead?

That's my opinion here. But even if you assume that is true, how do you cause "distress" by having your attorney send a relatively generic well-wishing statement.

On 6/30/2022 at 8:42 PM, TexasEd said:

If they in fact knew she was dead and made a statement otherwise why are they not prosecuted?

Was the statement in question made to the cops or to the press?  Unless they were under some sort of oath, what are you going to charge them with?

31 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Was the statement in question made to the cops or to the press?  Unless they were under some sort of oath, what are you going to charge them with?

If under oath or to the cops, obviously perjury would be on the table, or a similar "lying to law enforcement," obviously.

But just about anything that aids the perpetrator, including false or misleading statements about whereabouts or details of a crime can lead to "accessory after the fact" charges, depending on the state's statute.

In Florida, apparently, parents and immediate family, including in-laws are exempted from the accessory after the fact statute.

On 6/30/2022 at 6:53 PM, Bookman said:

Not to get too lawyerly, but how could they really "know" she was dead?

That will be a key piece of evidence going forward.  It's important to note that the court ruling posted above was at the pleadings stage, which means the court had to assume that the allegations in the amended complaint were true for purposes of deciding the motion to dismiss.  The amended complaint alleges that Brian Laundrie told his parents on 8/28/21 that he had killed Gabby.  The court had to assume the truth of this allegation at this particular stage of the litigation.

Now that the matter is moving past the pleadings stage, the plaintiffs (Gabby's parents) will be required to put forth evidence supporting their claims -- whether it's in response to a motion for summary judgment or in a trial.  So we'll find out whether they somehow have evidence that Brian Laundrie told his parents that he had murdered Gabby the day after he committed the murder.  I'm not sure how Gabby's parents will be able to prove this.  Maybe the Laundries made statements to third persons & those other persons will testify.  Maybe they've been able to get phone records.  It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.   

Edited by Carl Spackler
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 6/30/2022 at 6:56 PM, chainsaw said:

That's my opinion here. But even if you assume that is true, how do you cause "distress" by having your attorney send a relatively generic well-wishing statement.

I won't be surprised if the Laundries argue in defense that their son did not tell them he had killed Gabby, i.e., that they did not know Gabby was dead at the time their lawyer released the statement to the press.  As I noted above, whether (and when) Brian Laundrie told his parents that he had killed Gabby will be the key piece of evidence in this lawsuit. 

As to your second point, the Laundries made that argument in their motion to dismiss.  But the court order denying the motion cited some Florida cases plus another authority (the Restatement of Torts) for the proposition that a benign statement or benign conduct can become outrageous if considered in a particular context.  In this case, that particular context is the allegation that the Laundries knew that Gabby was dead when they made the statement, so they knew the statement was false and they knew it would give false hope to Gabby's parents. 

The theory that this lawsuit is being pursued under definitely pushes the edge of the envelope in terms of liability for making an otherwise benign statement.  While the court is allowing it to proceed for now, it might be a different story if the Laundries file a motion for summary judgment because that motion will require Gabby's parents to actually come forward with evidence supporting their allegations.      

Edited by Carl Spackler

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

I won't be surprised if the Laundries argue in defense that their son did not tell them he had killed Gabby, i.e., that they did not know Gabby was dead at the time their lawyer released the statement to the press.  As I noted above, whether (and when) Brian Laundrie told his parents that he had killed Gabby will be the key piece of evidence in this lawsuit. 

As to your second point, the Laundries made that argument in their motion to dismiss.  But the court order denying the motion cited some Florida cases plus another authority (the Restatement of Torts) for the proposition that a benign statement or benign conduct can become outrageous if considered in a particular context.  In this case, that particular context is the allegation that the Laundries knew that Gabby was dead when they made the statement, so they knew the statement was false and they knew it would give false hope to Gabby's parents. 

The theory that this lawsuit is being pursued under definitely pushes the edge of the envelope in terms of liability for making an otherwise benign statement.  While the court is allowing it to proceed for now, it might be a different story if the Laundries file a motion for summary judgment because that motion will require Gabby's parents to actually come forward with evidence supporting their allegations.      

Even if I assume it's "outrageous" (and I don't think it is but whatever I'm not Florida Man nor Florida Legislator) it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me that the Petitoses' "emotional distress" was the product of anything other than her daughter being missing (which the Laundries aren't responsible for) and, later, dead (same).

If the facts were exactly the same and the only difference was Laundries' parents saying "she was a slut I'm glad she's dead EABOD" I feel like that's kind of throwing fuel onto the fire but it also presents a much clearer case of First Amendment protection in the same way those Westboro assholes cheered at solider funerals because of the gays

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

Even if I assume it's "outrageous" (and I don't think it is but whatever I'm not Florida Man nor Florida Legislator) it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me that the Petitoses' "emotional distress" was the product of anything other than her daughter being missing (which the Laundries aren't responsible for) and, later, dead (same).

If the facts were exactly the same and the only difference was Laundries' parents saying "she was a slut I'm glad she's dead EABOD" I feel like that's kind of throwing fuel onto the fire but it also presents a much clearer case of First Amendment protection in the same way those Westboro assholes cheered at solider funerals because of the gays

I totally get it, and I think there are probably a lot of people who feel the same way as you.  Like I said, the legal theory being advanced by the plaintiffs is definitely pushing the edge of the envelope in terms of tort liability.     

FWIW, I used the word "outrageous" simply because that's one of the things the plaintiffs will have to prove, i.e., that the conduct was outrageous in nature.   

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I totally get it, and I think there are probably a lot of people who feel the same way as you.  Like I said, the legal theory being advanced by the plaintiffs is definitely pushing the edge of the envelope in terms of tort liability.     

FWIW, I used the word "outrageous" simply because that's one of the things the plaintiffs will have to prove, i.e., that the conduct was outrageous in nature.   

I guess what I'm asking about is if it's necessary to show some kind of connection between the "tort" and the "distress."

Like, if Florida Man were to say "I hope my ex wife dies" and then a week later she dies in a car accident, there's a "tort" (and that's assuming harsh words count as a tort) and there's "distress" but there's nothing connecting the dots besides superstition, bad juju, bad vibes, et cetera.

Surely that's not enough?

1 minute ago, chainsaw said:

I guess what I'm asking about is if it's necessary to show some kind of connection between the "tort" and the "distress."

Like, if Florida Man were to say "I hope my ex wife dies" and then a week later she dies in a car accident, there's a "tort" (and that's assuming harsh words count as a tort) and there's "distress" but there's nothing connecting the dots besides superstition, bad juju, bad vibes, et cetera.

Surely that's not enough?

Yep, the conduct (which must be outrageous in nature) must have caused the emotional distress.

In your example, that would not be nearly enough for liability.  Just wishing for someone's demise (without taking steps to bring it about) isn't actionable.  I suspect Gabby's parents would say that the difference between your example and their lawsuit is that the Laundries knew Gabby was dead when they made their statement, and also knew (or reasonably should have known) that issuance of the statement would give false hope to Gabby's parents and family.  But it's not a sure thing that Florida law will impose liability even under those circumstances.      

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Carl Spackler said:

Yep, the conduct (which must be outrageous in nature) must have caused the emotional distress.

In your example, that would not be nearly enough for liability.  Just wishing for someone's demise (without taking steps to bring it about) isn't actionable.  I suspect Gabby's parents would say that the difference between your example and their lawsuit is that the Laundries knew Gabby was dead when they made their statement, and also knew (or reasonably should have known) that issuance of the statement would give false hope to Gabby's parents and family.  But it's not a sure thing that Florida law will impose liability even under those circumstances.      

Is "false hope" the same thing as distress? Seems like a bunch of ER and cancer docs would be on the hook for the same.