Car buying now days

Shaddie

I know cars are stupid high priced right now. 
However I also know late model trade ins are worth stupid money now. 
I followed one of those “we will buy your car” sites and it said my 3 year old low mileage vehicle is almost worth what I paid in 2018. 
Anybody think it is a wash now days or have any experience with those car buying sites? I so want to get back to a truck but I am a cheap mfer who hates to over pay. 

• Fuck You 1

A few months back, my kid took is 2018 4 runner in to the toyota dealer for an oil change.  A salesman sought him out, and yeah, they gave him more for the car than he paid for it new.  

He flipped into a Tacoma which fits his family's lifestyle a little better.  They gave him a lifetime powertrain warranty. His payments are lower, but a year longer, so he thinks that he came out ahead. 

Officially scheduled my 2020 Tacoma to be picked up by Carvana tomorrow. I'm glad I procrastinated for a few weeks since their offer went up substantially.  They're buying it for $39,566. I paid $33,052 two years ago.

If you have newer vehicles you can part with, it may be worth a try with Carvana. 

• Drool 1

^ I believe you. but who are these dipshits that are there buying a used 2020 truck for 20% more than cost two years ago?

Trucks are keeping unbelievable value. Assuming caravana flips it for a few grand more- some would pay that for a 2 year old truck with 1x,000 miles vs 55-60K for a brand new with 0 miles. You don’t lose that 10Grand by driving it new off the lot.

16 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

^ I believe you. but who are these dipshits that are there buying a used 2020 truck for 20% more than cost two years ago?

If you have to buy a car, you have to buy a car.  I don't think most people want to pay these prices right now.  I sure wouldn't buy a car unless I absolutely had to right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

If you have to buy a car, you have to buy a car.  I don't think most people want to pay these prices right now.  I sure wouldn't buy a car unless I absolutely had to right now.

Yeah the used market is great for a seller, but unless you are just offloading a car you can live without, you are going to lose all that buying a new vehicle.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Yeah the used market is great for a seller, but unless you are just offloading a car you can live without, you are going to lose all that buying a new vehicle.

Yep. My new Bronco is arriving the first week of October and that price is already set so I don't have any buying concerns.  I've seen the same Tacoma with 25K+ miles selling for $45K. It's just ridiculous right now.

4 hours ago, immamac said:

Theres no cars available because of the chip shortage. That's just want shit costs. 

It’s eerie driving by a Chevy/GM dealership and only 2-5 trucks on the lot and probably already sold. The pictures of brand new trucks parked in fields outside of Detroit is crazy. 

I appreciate everyone’s voice. My vehicle is 3.5 years old with 35k. 
Offering me 4-5k over what it “should” be worth takes the sting out of paying 4-5k more for what I want. 
I think my strategy will be tell dealer to drop their price 4K on vehicle while dropping my trade in 4K to lessen sales tax. 

My issue is I want a truck instead of this suv. After selling my CC boat I thought i wouldn’t miss a truck but damn so much you do with it, that SUV can’t compare. 
Wife and I both own our cars for a long time. My last truck was 15yrs old when I sold it and her (piece of shit Subaru) was 14 yrs old before she got something new.  And yes I would never recommend a Subaru cause if u get a lemon it is very expensive to fix.  
I figure this will be my last vehicle before I start shitting the bed so fuck it, buy what I want once instead of being responsible and buying a “good” choice.  

• Fuck You 1

Guy at work just got 16k more than he paid for his 250.  Still can’t believe people are paying these prices.  We got lucky af we bought right before this jumped, when everybody was worried they might not even have jobs due to covid.  But yeah, just taking my causal glance, it’s going to take me ~80k to get into my next truck.  Oof. 

18 hours ago, immamac said:

Theres no cars available because of the chip shortage. That's just want shit costs. 

I guess I'm looking for suggestions. My SUV has 116,000 so I am in the market for a new one. Dealer prices are still high and used cars are going for almost as much as new ones. I am probably going to need some expensive repairs soon (transmission isn't smooth and some not so good noises when going over bumps). Should I chance it out to 2022 or just suck it up and overpay for something now?

Completed my Carvana transaction today. I doubt I’ll ever sell a vehicle to anyone else. A guy showed up and spent 60 seconds verifying the condition and mileage and took a couple of pics. Signed the paperwork and moved the truck to the curb for a tow truck that came an hour later. Took about 10 minutes total and I had a check in hand.

• Hook 'Em 9

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Completed my Carvana transaction today. I doubt I’ll ever sell a vehicle to anyone else. A guy showed up and spent 60 seconds verifying the condition and mileage and took a couple of pics. Signed the paperwork and moved the truck to the curb for a tow truck that came an hour later. Took about 10 minutes total and I had a check in hand.

Nice!!!!

• Fuck You 1

I just had same experience as cooter with carvana.

Paid 5900 in May for a 2012 Hyundai I got for my daughter to use for the summer before she left for college. 

Just went on carvana last week, got offered 7469 for it.  They were in my driveway with a check 2 days later. 

Pleasant surprise.  Just need the market to return to normal before I need to get a different car.

• Hook 'Em 2

You are doing yourself a disservice if you don't check out cargurus.com  They own a used vehicle supplier for dealerships across the country, based in Texas CarOffer, Very similar experience to Carvana in that they come to you, verify the information you put in, and have the check there. I've run multiple vehicles through this platform, and Cargurus/CarOffer has always been the highest offer price. 

On 9/21/2021 at 7:53 AM, Bevo said:

I guess I'm looking for suggestions. My SUV has 116,000 so I am in the market for a new one. Dealer prices are still high and used cars are going for almost as much as new ones. I am probably going to need some expensive repairs soon (transmission isn't smooth and some not so good noises when going over bumps). Should I chance it out to 2022 or just suck it up and overpay for something now?

Not sure what kind of SUV you have, but 116,000 miles is not really all that much for most modern cars. You can update shocks, bushings etc. and have it driving new like new. Shifting issues could just as easily be a driveshaft that needs grease or dry rotted bushings that need replaced. Even if it’s the whole transmission, it’s a lot cheaper than a new vehicle.

I own two vehicles right now, a Tacoma with 260,000 miles and a Lexus SUV with 210,000 miles.  Not even close to being done with either one of them.  

They are both just now starting to see the shop a little bit more than they ever have. The life-limited parts like those listed above are starting to be replaced. But not even close to enough of a hassle or financial burden to make me want to drop $50k on a new version of either one. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Well you don’t own my 2007 CTSV that is definitely not a Toyota.  

im debating what to do here…on one hand it’s falling apart with several grand the last year to keep it road-worthy/legal, but on the other hand I’ll be paying out the nose for another used car. 

Want a 2018 G80 Sport, but worried I’ll be paying $5k+ over what it’s ‘really’ worth at the moment.  

Just read on Ars that the chip shortage is likely to go into 2023, and I can’t keep pouring money into a 15yo Cadillac that’ll need a chain tensioner, harmonic balancer and PS pump soon…I’m basically spending a car payment every few months keeping it drivable.  

i could be using that money to drive something enjoyable.  Think I’ll just eat the price overage and get what I want. 

And yeah those Blackwings are incredible but I’m done with GM for now and my price range tops out at $40k.  Drove a G80 Sport with the 3.3T and really enjoyed it, with most reports showing Genesis/Hyundai as being pretty reliable so far.  

After considering one of the new Corvettes and then balking at the $20k markups I decided on A Mach 1. I've tried to buy 3 different ones in transit but on 3 occasions now they have added $2k as a market adjustment right as I was about to pay for it. I finally got tired of it and just ordered one from the factory at Msrp. 10-12 week wait

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/24/2021 at 7:17 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

3rd person in last month to mention a “mandatory” $2k fee from a dealer.

They are calling it "market adjustment".  And they are not budging and have no reason to.   And $2k is the lowest.  I've seen some Ford dealers add $5k  I've walked on all three and not a single salesperson has done anything to try to sell the car because they know someone will pay whatever they want.   

Edited by midtown

On 9/24/2021 at 1:37 PM, midtown said:

After considering one of the new Corvettes and then balking at the $20k markups I decided on A Mach 1. I've tried to buy 3 different ones in transit but on 3 occasions now they have added $2k as a market adjustment right as I was about to pay for it. I finally got tired of it and just ordered one from the factory at Msrp. 10-12 week wait

Just saw below article on a newsfeed.  Would this apply to your order ?

Ford is offering a $2,000 discount to customers who forgo a custom order and buy an in-stock vehicle instead. According to a letter sent to dealers, Ford says the latest offer is in place "understanding that some customers may not be able to wait to take delivery of a 22MY vehicle."

While that sounds reasonable, it runs somewhat contrary to a push this past summer to get buyers to wait with a $1,000 custom order discount. The latest deal replaces the order bonus and will run alongside a new incentive extending discounts to most 2022-model-year vehicles.

Ford's program bulletin says the in-stock discount is available through November 1st to customers with a "verified unscheduled 21MY Retail Order." Most models are eligible with the exception of the new Ford Bronco, Maverick, F-150 Tremor, F-150 Lightning, and upcoming E-Transit

Having said that, the so-called "21MY In-Stock Customer Satisfaction Private Offer" isn't like most Ford incentives and rebates. As a private offer, you won't see it advertised. Therefore, your ability to actually take advantage of the offer could be limited based on whether or not you have an order and its current status.

It's unclear if the deal will encourage buyers to trade-up, trade-down, or simply choose a configuration they didn't intend to buy from the start. For now, this appears to be yet another example of Ford creating a way to keep buyers from jumping ship to a competitor during an unprecedented situation with no end in sight.

But is a $2,000 discount really that good of a deal if there aren't a ton of cars to choose from? For example, we're tempted to praise a $2,000 discount on the Mustang Mach-E, a model with basically no factory rebates. However, strong demand has resulted in up to a 28-week wait time on new Mach-E orders.

If you happen to be eligible for Ford's new offer, getting the chance to save an extra $2,000 during a period of high car prices could seem like a good deal. However, odds are you may be limited by the choices near you. As a result, we recommend considering your options carefully before making a decision.

https://www.carsdirect.com/deals-articles/ford-paying-customers-2-000-to-buy-in-stock-cars

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/23/2021 at 3:28 AM, Sam Lin said:

FWIW just plugged the same car into Carvana and Cargurus out of boredom, Carvana was 12% higher on the offer.

Just got off a Consumer to Dealer industry presentation, and CarOffer (the purchaser behind CarGurus is beating the Vroom and Carvana offers 90% of the time. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

What’s the CarGuru experience? it may not be worth an extra grand if the experience is like being on the receiving end of the Tijuana donkey show.

I understand that you're asking a separate question, but the CarGurus inventory search interface sucks said donkey's dick. 

• 3 weeks later...

Welp. I have a friend who her and her husband are extremely connected in the SA business community. They are also big car people
I told her about my issues getting my Mach 1 even in the que. She made a phone call to the GM of the dealership and an hour later I got a text saying Ford picked up my order. Privilege I know. 10-12 weeks baby

Welp. I have a friend who her and her husband are extremely connected in the SA business community. They are also big car people
I told her about my issues getting my Mach 1 even in the que. She made a phone call to the GM of the dealership and an hour later I got a text saying Ford picked up my order. Privilege I know. 10-12 weeks baby

What made you pick the Mach 1?