Car buying now days

Shaddie

4 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Coupe or convertible? I’ve toyed with a GT Convertible from time to time.

You do not want a convertible. Especially in Texas. This coming for a guy that had one for 3 years. They look cool, but just about everything else is a pita.

Bad news... I spoke with an IT exec at the largest US car company. Car companies are going to be moving towards the John Deere model where everything is locked down and technology is seen as a profit center (ie. yearly subscriptions for everything including electronic and remote ignition).

• Rage+1 1

On 9/21/2021 at 6:54 PM, Not a cat said:

I just had same experience as cooter with carvana.

Paid 5900 in May for a 2012 Hyundai I got for my daughter to use for the summer before she left for college. 

Just went on carvana last week, got offered 7469 for it.  They were in my driveway with a check 2 days later. 

Pleasant surprise.  Just need the market to return to normal before I need to get a different car.

Carbitrage!  You big swinging dick!

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

Bad news... I spoke with an IT exec at the largest US car company. Car companies are going to be moving towards the John Deere model where everything is locked down and technology is seen as a profit center (ie. yearly subscriptions for everything including electronic and remote ignition).

https://comma.ai/

Open source has an answer for lock-in. Bunch of auto mfg gonna fuck around and find out. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RPM said:

You do not want a convertible. Especially in Texas. This coming for a guy that had one for 3 years. They look cool, but just about everything else is a pita.

Had a convertible in Austin for many years, this is false. Convertibles are awesome. Maybe your AC didn't blow hard enough on max or your heater was shit. If it's not raining top down and climate control on max in the extreme temps. If it's nice out top down stereo all the way up. 

30 minutes ago, immamac said:

Had a convertible in Austin for many years, this is false. Convertibles are awesome. Maybe your AC didn't blow hard enough on max or your heater was shit. If it's not raining top down and climate control on max in the extreme temps. If it's nice out top down stereo all the way up. 

I loved my convertible hardtop. But the days it was feasible to drive top down were under 10%. Freeway driving sucked because of all the exhaust and noise. Took a roadtrip to Las Vegas late spring mostly top down and got to cruise the strip, so I have that going for me, which is nice. But the other 90% of the time it was top up. There's no denying the cool factor.

3 hours ago, RPM said:

I loved my convertible hardtop. But the days it was feasible to drive top down were under 10%. Freeway driving sucked because of all the exhaust and noise. Took a roadtrip to Las Vegas late spring mostly top down and got to cruise the strip, so I have that going for me, which is nice. But the other 90% of the time it was top up. There's no denying the cool factor.

I have a little Mercedes AMG with a hard top that folds into the trunk. I use it a decent amount on the weekend but a sports car with a stiff suspension isn't a great vehicle for commuting. Plus, patients would give me shit about charging too much. The good news is that I can keep it forever because I put so few miles on it.

On 10/18/2021 at 6:37 AM, Bevo said:

I hate all that tech shit in cars.  Fuckin push button start can kiss my ass solving a problem that never existed.  
That all may be an issue for luxury cars but I think there’s always going to be a small but significant demand for basic shit boxes .  

• Rage+1 1

On 10/18/2021 at 2:45 PM, Bevo said:

I have a little Mercedes AMG with a hard top that folds into the trunk. I use it a decent amount on the weekend but a sports car with a stiff suspension isn't a great vehicle for commuting. Plus, patients would give me shit about charging too much. The good news is that I can keep it forever because I put so few miles on it.

I had a plastic surgeon sew up my eye in high school.  When he got halfway done with the job he told me I just made his Ferrari payment.  A couple stitches later he told me I also made his Harley payment.  He later went to prison for insurance fraud.  Did a great job though.  I have to look really hard to see the extremely faint line of a scar.

edited to add: getting a shot to numb your eye is not a very pleasant experience.

Edited by conVINCEd

7 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I had a plastic surgeon sew up my eye in high school.  When he got halfway done with the job he told me I just made his Ferrari payment.  A couple stitches later he told me I also made his Harley payment.  He later went to prison for insurance fraud.  Did a great job though.  I have to look really hard to see the extremely faint line of a scar.

edited to add: getting a shot to numb your eye is not a very pleasant experience.

Dude needed to finance the Harley?  Pretty weak for a Ferrari owner.  

• Haha 1

TECH SUCKS!!!!

In cars.  IF you hang onto your cars for more than a year or two.  

I specifically bought a more stripped down 2020 Silverado to NOT have all the whistles and bells because I plan to keep the car for a while.  Unfortunately I had a brief black out on my console touch screen yesterday. Seemed like it went off and then rebooted.  I have only put on like 13K miles in the last year, so the miles are low.  Then I got some legal mailing related to electrical issues on the 2019 and 2020 Silverados.

I was at Capitol Chevrolet yesterday getting service and the number of cars on the lot was ridiculously thin.  So I don't see prices drifting down anytime soon.  Hell I thrilled as a mofo that I was able to pick up the truck I wanted at a great price at the end of August last year via a price match below my employee discounted price I can get.  I just got into an accident yesterday, and I know that finding parts for 2020/2021 cars is also a big supply chain issue.  Thankfully it was a minor wreck with very light damage to my car.

On 10/28/2021 at 7:17 PM, tbone_ said:

I don’t hate the push button. In fact I appreciate not having to dig in my pocket for keys every time.

I own cars for 8-10 years.  So, I don't drive em into the ground exactly, but that's long enough to experience most of the common glitches, statistically and age/wear wise.  I also tend to inhabit whatever fora pertain to the car in question, so I get a sampling of problems people have.

I'm on my second, maybe third, sort of high-techy car, and most of the "driver tech" things don't commonly fail, which is amazing.  It's the powertrain tech that's usually a problem.

• Like 1

I've got a few older vehicles (mid 2000's chevy truck, mid 2000's outback, and mid 2000's chevy cruz) that I need to sell.  I'm not worried about getting top dollar -- just need to get rid of them.  Any thoughts on best service that will come pick them up and take them away (one or more might not be drivable right now).

On 10/30/2021 at 10:21 AM, TwiceHorn said:

I own cars for 8-10 years.  So, I don't drive em into the ground exactly, but that's long enough to experience most of the common glitches, statistically and age/wear wise.  I also tend to inhabit whatever fora pertain to the car in question, so I get a sampling of problems people have.

I'm on my second, maybe third, sort of high-techy car, and most of the "driver tech" things don't commonly fail, which is amazing.  It's the powertrain tech that's usually a problem.

People who don't understand computers are hilarious to me. 

I've got about 140,000 miles on my 2009 Tahoe. I love that truck. But I know it'll be time to get a new ride at some point in the near future. I'd kind of like to wait to actually test-drive the new (big) Bronco. In the meantime, I've got the typical minimal dash cracks on the Tahoe and might just shell out the cash to replace that when I get my recalled passenger air bags changed out since I'm resigning myself to not getting a good deal on a new or gently-used vehicle any time soon.

4 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

I've got a few older vehicles (mid 2000's chevy truck, mid 2000's outback, and mid 2000's chevy cruz) that I need to sell.  I'm not worried about getting top dollar -- just need to get rid of them.  Any thoughts on best service that will come pick them up and take them away (one or more might not be drivable right now).

what model/year/miles on the chevy truck?

9 hours ago, C-Man said:

I've got about 140,000 miles on my 2009 Tahoe. I love that truck. But I know it'll be time to get a new ride at some point in the near future. I'd kind of like to wait to actually test-drive the new (big) Bronco. In the meantime, I've got the typical minimal dash cracks on the Tahoe and might just shell out the cash to replace that when I get my recalled passenger air bags changed out since I'm resigning myself to not getting a good deal on a new or gently-used vehicle any time soon.

Same here- 2010 Tahoe Z71--- 125k miles--- bigass horizontal and vertical cracks on the dash in front of the steering wheel.  Silverados have the same problem--- all manufacturer defects- poor platicizers.

I read that Chevy doesn't guarantee a clean dash if they do a dealer airbag replacement.  So, if they tear it up- you have to live with it.

Couple of companies make plastic dash covers that fit on top of the existing dash for ~$200 or so. Haven't seen one in person, so, not sure how they look.

I had the dash of one of my Subarus basically melt into a sticky goop when I lived in Miami, and while it was eventually replaced under warranty, I had a surprisingly nice laser-cut carpeted dash cover for a while before the recall was issued. 

It's not elegant, and your friends will probably tease you, but it fit like a glove and was compatible with all existing airbags. 

It was like $100, and while I can't remember or find the outfit that I bought it from, I have to assume that they're all pretty much the same if you just Google it. 

3 hours ago, LosIllini said:

Same here- 2010 Tahoe Z71--- 125k miles--- bigass horizontal and vertical cracks on the dash in front of the steering wheel.  Silverados have the same problem--- all manufacturer defects- poor platicizers.

I read that Chevy doesn't guarantee a clean dash if they do a dealer airbag replacement.  So, if they tear it up- you have to live with it.

Couple of companies make plastic dash covers that fit on top of the existing dash for ~$200 or so. Haven't seen one in person, so, not sure how they look.

Replacing it is a BITCH too.  

3 hours ago, LosIllini said:

Yeah, it happened to all of Chevrolet's trucks made between 2007 and 2014. Dashskin is plastic cover that people use. I'm not sure I'm willing to trust myself to go through the effort for $200. I might just angle for some kind of deal on the OEM replacement, which I believe is around $800.

22 hours ago, immamac said:

People who don't understand computers are hilarious to me. 

Are you implying that I don't understand computers?

And that computers and the related sensors that feed them data are inherently more reliable than mechanical things?

This very website is a testament to the unreliability of computers, which I take includes the software that makes them useful.

And, often as not, when it's a powertrain fuckup, it is -- wait for it -- computer or electronic-related.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

And that computers and the related sensors that feed them data are inherently more reliable than mechanical things?

What is the lifespan of a computer or piezo switch or electronic switch? A car is suppose to last 10 years - not sure about asian-made capacitors, resistors, chips, etc? The lifespan of USB connectors is shit even if the internals are good.

On 10/28/2021 at 7:17 PM, tbone_ said:

I don’t hate the push button. In fact I appreciate not having to dig in my pocket for keys every time.

I hate it on our new ride because I just know some day my wife is going to drop the keys in a cup holder, drive wherever, park, then just walk out leaving the keys there and then the car gets stolen.  

10 hours ago, Bevo said:

What is the lifespan of a computer or piezo switch or electronic switch? A car is suppose to last 10 years - not sure about asian-made capacitors, resistors, chips, etc? The lifespan of USB connectors is shit even if the internals are good.

Good question, don't know.  I did have the funky touch doorhandles on my CTS go out, but it was an easy, $20 fix.  I was pleased by that.

They've had the collision avoidance, lane departure warning/assist and related blind spot detection on my car since MY15.  Haven't seen a single complaint on the fora about any of that stuff failing.  The LCD touch screen was a bad design choice for interiors that experience high heat and they fail routinely.  Keyless entry hardly ever except for fobs.

On 11/1/2021 at 8:57 AM, Gale Snoats said:

What color and mileage is the Chevy Cruze?

5 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I hate it on our new ride because I just know some day my wife is going to drop the keys in a cup holder, drive wherever, park, then just walk out leaving the keys there and then the car gets stolen.  

not fighting your logic, because...well, life; but she never needs to take the keys out of her purse if it is like the last 2 cars my wife had with push button start.

9 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

My button start car would not lock if they keys were in the car.   It would auto lock as soon as you got 10 feet away so out of habit if I didn't that horn honk light flash I realized something was missing.   

One time my wife at the time was driving my push button start car.  She had the keys in her purse.  We had to switch cars for some reason and so we met in a parking lot and she got out with the keys in her purse.  Jumped in the other car and drove off.   About 5 mins later I realized she had the key so even though it was drivable I wouldn't be able to stop the engine or I'd lose the ability to restart it.

This also happened with a valet where I had the keys in my pocket and went into the restaurant.   They valet went and parked the car but realized there was no FOB.   He had to come find me in the restaurant in order to be able to start the car back up

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, midtown said:

My button start car would not lock if they keys were in the car.   It would auto lock as soon as you got 10 feet away so out of habit if I didn't that horn honk light flash I realized something was missing.   

One time my wife at the time was driving my push button start car.  She had the keys in her purse.  We had to switch cars for some reason and so we met in a parking lot and she got out with the keys in her purse.  Jumped in the other car and drove off.   About 5 mins later I realized she had the key so even though it was drivable I wouldn't be able to stop the engine or I'd lose the ability to restart it.

This also happened with a valet where I had the keys in my pocket and went into the restaurant.   They valet went and parked the car but realized there was no FOB.   He had to come find me in the restaurant in order to be able to start the car back up

That is one glitch I had with my CTS right before I traded.  I exited the car with the key in a backpack pocket.  Instead of the key-in-car warning, it did the lock beep.  Sure as shit, I was locked out.  It never did it again, but I was fearing electrical gremlins, and, it was 9 at the time.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

That is one glitch I had with my CTS right before I traded.  I exited the car with the key in a backpack pocket.  Instead of the key-in-car warning, it did the lock beep.  Sure as shit, I was locked out.  It never did it again, but I was fearing electrical gremlins, and, it was 9 at the time.

Ironically that was a CTS as well.  Never locked me out though.

9 hours ago, elfenix said:

a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.  like in-screen finger print readers on phones. 

That's a vast majority of "improvements" these days.  You have all of these bells and whistles...I just need shit that works when I need it to.

CarMax offered me basically what I paid for my truck new in 2018.  Problem is dealers asking for 20k over sticker for a new Raptor.

20K? Yikes. That’s every dealer? We test drove a “used” 2021 tahoe a few weeks ago with 11K miles on it and the dealer was asking 9K more for what we’re paying for a brand new one this weekend from a dealer 3 hours away

I got in a pretty bad accident back in mid-Sept, which totaled my truck. I paid $27,000 for it back in 2015, it was paid off. Due to the shortages and high prices, the insurance payout for my truck was $33,000. I then spent 2-3 weeks shopping around, calling places, and lurking dealer sites to get a new vehicle. It sucked, inventory was basically non-existent. I spent the rest of Sept and most of Oct driving my girlfriend's old 10+ year beater around. Luckily I work from home now, so I rarely drive anywhere. Her office is requiring her to go back into the office starting in Nov, so mid-Oct we started to feel the pressure on getting a new vehicle. In the past, she refused to drive my truck, so this time she talked me into getting a more "family type of car" she'd be comfortable driving around too when DDing me on the weekends. The plan was to use her beater as a backup, so I started looking for SUVs and Crossovers. 

Inventory was close to zero at most places, no dealership had 2022s even remotely close to being shipped out despite it being Q4, so it was 2021 or older, of the models, nobody else wanted that were still on the lot. To get what you wanted, you had to basically buy it online custom order, pick the dealership you wanted it delivered to, and then wait anywhere from 3-6 months. Everywhere I went they refused to haggle with me, basically saying it was a sellers market, if I didn't want it they know they could turn around and sell it to the next guy, so it was sticker price or above only. 

Eventually, we settled on the new Volkswagen electric vehicle (ID4), of which there were only 3 in the entire area. One of which, no lie, sold while we were test driving it. So I ended up having to sit down with the sales guy and go over their shipping manifest to see what was already ordered by the dealership to arrive. Out of their entire manifest only 1 was the color I wanted, but it was the pro version with all the bells and whistles. So I put down a down payment and waited for them to call me since they didn't know when it would arrive, just that it "was on the way." 3 weeks later I get a call it arrived, so I just picked it up 2 weeks ago. There was a bit of a learning curve with the EVs, but once I got it all setup, I got to like it. 

Had I not had needed to get one before Nov, I probably would've went the custom order route and saved myself a lot of money.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

20K? Yikes. That’s every dealer? We test drove a “used” 2021 tahoe a few weeks ago with 11K miles on it and the dealer was asking 9K more for what we’re paying for a brand new one this weekend from a dealer 3 hours away

I stand corrected.  Maxwell Ford has 8 listed on their website all 25K to 30K over MSRP.