Car buying now days

Shaddie

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

So my next truck going to be 100k. Cool,cool.  Motherfuckers arghhh. 

You have two choices.  Order a truck now and you will pay MSRP.  Might take 3 months to get it.  Second.  Wait 3 months because the chip shortage is starting to soften based on everything I've read over the last few weeks.

Just now, midtown said:

You have two choices.  Order a truck now and you will pay MSRP.  Might take 3 months to get it.  Second.  Wait 3 months because the chip shortage is starting to soften based on everything I've read over the last few weeks.

Option C - Keep rolling this old bitch until I HAVE to do something, which is what I do anyway.

I just dont think the prices are coming down anytime soon.  I remember the year I had my boat built, oil shot up tremendously.  Since fiberglass, resin, gel cote etc are all petroleum based, so did the prices.  I had something like 50% equity by virtue of being 6 months early.  They've never come back down.  To commission one today would be right at 100% over what I paid.   Mine hit rock bottom depreciation about 15% less than I paid and has been that way for 5-7 years.  Sometimes things just become the new normal.  I'm not saying it's going to be 20k over sticker forever, but I can see sticker being what you pay for awhile.  Hope I'm wrong.  Really hope I'm wrong.

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Option C - Keep rolling this old bitch until I HAVE to do something, which is what I do anyway.

This is my current position.  I have a fully functional truck that I am keeping anyway.  I just decided to treat myself to a new sports car.   But I am also in a position to order one and wait for it to be built. 

I do agree that at some point paying MSRP will simply be the norm.   I could see a whiplash situation where dealers end up with a ton of inventory in a year or so and have to start cutting deals.  I have seen a tweet or two of people claiming auto dealer are price gouging.  Dealers are a middle man and what they are doing is the definition of gouging.  Cars may or may not be considered a necessity.

Price gouging refers to when retailers and others take advantage of spikes in demand by charging exorbitant prices for necessities, often after a natural disaster or other state of emergency. ... In most states, price gouging is set as a violation of unfair or deceptive trade practices law.

The fact you can get 9 year auto loans now also contributing.  Half my hands rolling new 250 KR's.  Payment is same as it ever was (just longer).   Add in the fact some (idiots) think they are appreciable assets now (I dont that trend stays) and you have a mess.  Oh well.   

Ouch

I just talked to the finances guy at the dealership I’m buying from, is 3.49% bad for 72 or 84 months? We have excellent credit. He said with our credit we can “be our own banker” and with lower payments the first few years we can start paying it off faster at 5 year mark? Any insights?

I know it’s impossible to know where one is at in 5 years. Basically he’s saying the difference you pay between 60-72-84 is tens of dollars, I believe.

850 is less than what we paid when we had 2 car payments from 2012-2016

Order a truck now and you will pay MSRP. 

Not necessarily. A big issue with the new Bronco is that even though customers ordered it a year ago at MSRP, upon delivery, many unscrupulous dealerships are marking it up $20-30K. If you pass, they have customers lined up to pay. It’s fucking shitty but it’s an increasingly common practice. It’s happening with many other models also.

That was my biggest fear but luckily Leif Johnson did me right.

Not necessarily. A big issue with the new Bronco is that even though customers ordered it a year ago at MSRP, upon delivery, many unscrupulous dealerships are marking it up $20-30K. If you pass, they have customers lined up to pay. It’s fucking shitty but it’s an increasingly common practice. It’s happening with many other models also.

That was my biggest fear but luckily Leif Johnson did me right.
When you order a car you get a receipt. I have one for my car from Red. Not sure how they can disregard a contract. Id raise holy hell if they are actually doing that. I wonder if they are simply putting a dealer order in place of a customer order.

4 hours ago, elfenix said:

counterpoint: cars last a lot longer than they used to, and big trucks are the longest lasting of those.  so while 9 years for a car note sounds absurd at first blush it might not be that terrible of an idea (need to know the interest rate, of course)

I keep mine for long periods of time, my current truck is an 08. But it was paid off in ‘12, which is nice. I don’t think it’s absurd in any other manner than people shop the payment.  If you gotta stretch that bay boat out to 15 yrs (that’s a semi “normal” thing now) maybe you cant really afford that $800/month payment.   

Yeah, they're gouging so bad, KXAN did a segment on it recently. What they're doing is technically illegal if they're licensed with the State of Texas, but most people don't know that so they try to pull one over on them. Here's the article:

https://www.kxan.com/investigations/do-car-dealers-have-to-honor-online-prices-one-cedar-park-familys-warning/

from the article:

“There’s a rule called 215-250 that relates to dealer price advertising. And, when you do feature the price in one of your motor vehicle advertisements, then you have to be willing to sell that vehicle at that featured price to any retail buyer,” explained Corrie Thompson, director of the enforcement division with the TxDMV.

Thompson’s team handles complaints. She said the agency has 30 motor vehicle investigators and one specifically focuses on advertising complaints. 

Thompson said when the agency gets a complaint, her department can investigate and see if there was a violation. Whenever someone files a complaint, they can expect an investigator to contact them within a few days to let them know the case has been assigned. From there, the time to a resolution can vary, Thompson said.

She said first-time violations can mean a warning issued to the dealer. After that, if violations continue, it could include education, penalties and even revoking the dealer’s license.

What I found when I was shopping around for my son's jeep is that they will sell you vehicle at the advertised price, but will add several thousand dollars in bullshit fees.  One dealer said there was a reconditioning fee and some kind of extended warranty that only covered appearance items and nothing mechanical.  Every dealer I talked to had that shit that added 15% to 20% over the advertised price.  Not to mention the stupid paperwork fees.  Fuck all dealers in the goat ass.  They are all lying thieves.  I've bought my last two used cars from Carvana.

Based on that article I could have easily reported the Ford dealer in Killeen and planet Ford in Grapevine. I found a car on their websites. Sales guy send me a purchase agreement which I signed. A day later the car landed on the lot and I was told it was mispriced and was $5k more. I left them a bad review on Google but I wish I had filed a complaint for wasting several hours of my time

Sure wish I had kept all the emails and texts from those dicks

23 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I just talked to the finances guy at the dealership I’m buying from, is 3.49% bad for 72 or 84 months? We have excellent credit. He said with our credit we can “be our own banker” and with lower payments the first few years we can start paying it off faster at 5 year mark? Any insights?

I know it’s impossible to know where one is at in 5 years. Basically he’s saying the difference you pay between 60-72-84 is tens of dollars, I believe.

850 is less than what we paid when we had 2 car payments from 2012-2016

texas dow CU

• 48 to 84 Month Term

2.49%

• Hook 'Em 1

Hahahaha just realized something. 
Immortal13 negged me on all my post because he is such is a pussy who couldn’t handle me negging him on his CR shit. He actually went back to September on football and negged me and everything since. 
Jesus what a pussy. 

• Haha 2

On 11/3/2021 at 5:38 PM, elfenix said:

a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.  like in-screen finger print readers on phones. 

I don't really care about the push-button, per se, but it seems to go along with keyless entry, which is definitely nice.

And, I think push-buttons are historically accurate, that is, they predate keys.

4 hours ago, midtown said:

Based on that article I could have easily reported the Ford dealer in Killeen and planet Ford in Grapevine. I found a car on their websites. Sales guy send me a purchase agreement which I signed. A day later the car landed on the lot and I was told it was mispriced and was $5k more. I left them a bad review on Google but I wish I had filed a complaint for wasting several hours of my time

Ford + Car = Mustang?  And being somewhat familiar with your history, some interesting form of Mustang?

3 minutes ago, midtown said:

I think I detailed it in the thread but yes. A kind of special mustang.

Mach 1 with handling package and $450 for the Twister Orange.2020-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT350-Twister-Orange-CA-005-1024x435.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Charging extra for a different color has always bothered me.  Is the orange paint more expensive than the silver paint?

20 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Charging extra for a different color has always bothered me.  Is the orange paint more expensive than the silver paint?

Not just cars, up charge for outboards too. Wife’s was like $1500 upcharge, fuckers.  But it looks good. 

Edited by fattyflattie

Just now, fattyflattie said:

Not just cars, up charge for ourboards too. Wife’s was like $1500 upcharge, fuckers.  But it looks good. 

Yeah, I’m going to learn the boat lesson soon.  General fuckery seems to be more prevalent in that industry than the car business.  I suppose it is what it is, buyer beware, and all of that shit, but it irritates the fuck out of me.

7 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

What I found when I was shopping around for my son's jeep is that they will sell you vehicle at the advertised price, but will add several thousand dollars in bullshit fees.  One dealer said there was a reconditioning fee and some kind of extended warranty that only covered appearance items and nothing mechanical.  Every dealer I talked to had that shit that added 15% to 20% over the advertised price.  Not to mention the stupid paperwork fees.  Fuck all dealers in the goat ass.  They are all lying thieves. 

Yeah, but you're gonna want that TrueCoat.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/5/2021 at 9:35 PM, conVINCEd said:

It's more a case of they can buy black, white, silver paint in bulk because 90% of their sales will be in that color. Buying in bulk is cheaper.

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

It's more a case of they can buy black, white, silver paint in bulk because 90% of their sales will be in that color. Buying in bulk is cheaper.

I have no idea but I'm guessing auto manu's buy primary colors in bulk and then create any one of about a million colors from those primary colors.    I can't see Ford going to Home Depot and ordering 10 gallons of Twisted Orange for midtowns car. 

On 11/5/2021 at 9:52 PM, conVINCEd said:

I guess I’m just conditioned to car dealers trying to fuck you.  The last new car I purchased there were like 3 colors that were available without some sort of upcharge.

Well, I am sure they are.  But many of the "tricoat" and other funky colors are more expensive at the body shop if you have to paint something.  I understand Lexus paints are often quite expensive to duplicate and match.

My business partner is trading in his 2019 F350 dually for a 2021 F350 SRW that he ordered.  He has ~60k miles and they're giving him $65k on trade (he paid $70k) and they're selling him the new truck at invoice.  Not a bad deal all around...

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Sandman said:

It isn't usually the cost of the paint, it's the cost of the painting. Metallics, bright colors, mattes, pearls are just more difficult to spray, or have more coats, or special processing, OR just require a longer time and waste purging to clean up and change over to/from. All that is money.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

First impression after a few days of my new Tahoe Z71…it’s sexy.

The exterior is by far my favorite of the full size SUVs excluding obviously the big baller ones. We bought a white one so the black trim pops extra.

This is my first Chevy, ever. Interior wise is clean. Gauge cluster is “dated” because it’s not digital, 2022s have digital but I’ll live. Also no ventilated seats which for my area of the country it’s needed a few times a year, Texas-many more. Higher trim tahoes or it’s sister vehicle the Yukon has them but GMC obviously run higher.

Infotainment system is smooth and just the right size,twss. 2nd row also gets their own screen mounted on back of headrests so that’ll be nice. Kids love the sunroof/moonroof combo.

Love that it has 70-80K SUV features but still got it in the 60s(yea, only). This is my first new car purchase in 10 years, and that new car smell is so awesome. Even my garage has a new scent to it for the time being

9/10 car…wish it had heated steering wheel and ventilated seats. Still has heated seats which I guess is more important, for where I am.

One thing I learned from watching YouTube reviews of suvs, I watched mostly raitis rides because he’s kinda funny in a dorky way, is the rear window wiper. I never paid attention to those things but now I do. Having it on the window mucks it up a lot. If it’s tucked up high and out of sight cleans it up the look.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Carvana finally listed my ‘20 Tacoma for $44K.

I traded in our car last week.  They gave me more than I expected.   It had been through 5 years of having little kids in it and had been scratched to shit all over .  Plus had just turned over 100k miles and probably needs a shit to of maintenance in the next couple years.  (Rotors, transmission, shocks.)

It turned up in their website for sale legit almost 5k more than we got.  Which is only 3k less than we pod for it .  (And put 75k miles on it)

I guess good for them if they can get it.  This isn’t even a desirable car it’s a damn minivan

17 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

My business partner is trading in his 2019 F350 dually for a 2021 F350 SRW that he ordered.  He has ~60k miles and they're giving him $65k on trade (he paid $70k) and they're selling him the new truck at invoice.  Not a bad deal all around...

Interested in what he ends up paying.  I poked around a bit last night and a single wheel 350 KR is ~92-94k new down here.   Or you can pay 75k for one with 70k miles. 

17 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Interested in what he ends up paying.  I poked around a bit last night and a single wheel 350 KR is ~92-94k new down here.   Or you can pay 75k for one with 70k miles. 

He said invoice is somewhere around 82k for what he wants.  I think he said it's a Platinum with everything he wants.  

• Rage+1 1

On 11/5/2021 at 4:10 PM, midtown said:

Yea, never buy in Killeen. They have a captive market of young soldiers that turnover constantly they are used to bending over. The chances of you even getting a fair deal around here is almost zero unless you know someone in ownership. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been considering buying a used truck but the pricing is so ridiculous that now I’m considering buying new. I found a dealer in Austin that is selling Ram 1500s 10% below MSRP. That seems to be about the best out there now. Does this sound reasonable or should I continue to wait? I’m driving a 2005 F150 now so trade in value isn’t really part of the equation. They offered me about $4500 on that.

41 minutes ago, BottleRocket said:

I’ve been considering buying a used truck but the pricing is so ridiculous that now I’m considering buying new. I found a dealer in Austin that is selling Ram 1500s 10% below MSRP. That seems to be about the best out there now. Does this sound reasonable or should I continue to wait? I’m driving a 2005 F150 now so trade in value isn’t really part of the equation. They offered me about $4500 on that.

I'm riding out an eleven year old car in lieu of overpaying for new.  Unless you really want to lose that 05, then let her ride.

• Hook 'Em 1

Anything at or under MSRP is a great price right now.

I see zero benefits in buying used if the price of new is 10 grand more in normal times.

I see negative benefits in buying used when the price of used is 10 grand higher than buying new.

I contemplated buying used (15-18) yukon…but they were only ~10-15 grand less than a new suv but it came with 40+ thousand miles and probably a shit warranty. Plus you have zero idea how that thing was driven by previous owner or why a newish car is on the for sale lot(lemon?)

I’m sure the dodges are nice but I’ve always pegged them beneath the other 3 truck makers but that’s a personal opinion with zero back. I have a 2011 F-150 so if I was in truck market, I’d probably stick with F-150 line…love my truck

Are dodges drastically cheaper than Fords right now? Do all Ford trucks have the twin turbos or do they have NA V8s? I know the expeditions are strictly TT

3 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

My FIL owns a transmission/auto repair place and he won't own a Dodge, and my wife told me she'd divorce me if I ever bought one.

First car I ever purchased was a brand new Dodge Intrepid.  Fucker died on the way home from the dealership and had to be towed back to it.  Had problem after problem with that car and haven't owned a Dodge since.  

• Like 1