Car buying now days

Shaddie

13 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

My FIL owns a transmission/auto repair place and he won't own a Dodge, and my wife told me she'd divorce me if I ever bought one.

Think that’s typically just their diesels. They’ve fixed a lot of that over the last gen or two. But yeah, they earned that reputation.   We just re-upped our fleet at work and went Dodge.  They are pretty decent inside, better than years past anyhow. Who knows how they’ll hold up.  We were all GM/Ford 2500/350 before.  We shall see. 

• 3 weeks later...

Godammit. Might have to do this soon.  Some 80+ year old lady ran into my wife’s car last night with my family all in it and my guess is it’s totaled.  She was at fault, but it’s not like that matters for purposes of me getting a rental or having to replace it at peak pricing for vehicles.  Fuck!

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Godammit. Might have to do this soon.  Some 80+ year old lady ran into my wife’s car last night with my family all in it and my guess is it’s totaled.  She was at fault, but it’s not like that matters for purposes of me getting a rental or having to replace it at peak pricing for vehicles.  Fuck!

You probably know this, but so long as the old lady had insurance or you have UIM, you should get the elevated value of your wife's car (since used cars are sky high right now). Co-worker just got more than she paid for her couple year old vehicle in a similar situation. Take a look at prices for the same vehicle and save some listings so you have evidence of the value at the time of accident. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

You probably know this, but so long as the old lady had insurance or you have UIM, you should get the elevated value of your wife's car (since used cars are sky high right now). Co-worker just got more than she paid for her couple year old vehicle in a similar situation. Take a look at prices for the same vehicle and save some listings so you have evidence of the value at the time of accident. 

She was fully covered with Jake from State Farm, though after talking with collision center this morning it sounds like it's leaning towards an expensive repair, but not a total. Normally I would be pissed, but if it keeps me from having to pay an outrageous amount for a new vehicle it sounds like that may be the lesser of two evils, for now.

$35-$40K payment goes a long way, but I might have had to shell out $65-70K at this point for a new car instead of $55K a couple years ago.

One piece of data fwiw: GF’s X5 battery died yesterday.

AAA mobile battery sales truck guy: we don’t sell X5 batteries.

BMW dealership: 4-5 week back order for X5 batteries. Won’t install aftermarket battery.

And you have to have someone reset the code when you change the battery so you can’t just do it yourself.

Matt the mobile mechanic supposedly coming later today to install Autozone battery and code reset. Hopefully BMW delicate electronic sensitivities won’t be offended by such a proletarian part being installed.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

She was fully covered with Jake from State Farm, though after talking with collision center this morning it sounds like it's leaning towards an expensive repair, but not a total. Normally I would be pissed, but if it keeps me from having to pay an outrageous amount for a new vehicle it sounds like that may be the lesser of two evils, for now.

$35-$40K payment goes a long way, but I might have had to shell out $65-70K at this point for a new car instead of $55K a couple years ago.

Depends on how long you can hold off on replacing it. While used car prices are really high, you can actually get new cars for around MSRP if you're willing to wait a few months for your order to arrive (i.e., putting a order for a new car to be built from the factory).  

9 hours ago, tbone_ said:

BMW dealership: 4-5 week back order for X5 batteries. Won’t install aftermarket battery.

And you have to have someone reset the code when you change the battery so you can’t just do it yourself.

Matt the mobile mechanic supposedly coming later today to install Autozone battery and code reset. Hopefully BMW delicate electronic sensitivities won’t be offended by such a proletarian part being installed.

Yes, this is a BMW thing. Just say no to newer BMWs. As if the nostrils weren't enough of a deterrent.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I think the hitmen make most of their money on the in-house financing.  

"Okay, I wanna make this deal work, Mr. Maund.  Let me go talk to my ex-CIA handler and we'll see what the numbers do.  Let's hope the big ones don't run to the left, ha!  I'm joking.  Old hitman sales humor.  No but seriously, we'll make these payments work for you.  Meantime, give some serious thought to an extended warranty.  Cheapest time to do it is at signing.  If you don't, who knows what squeaky wheel might start veering into the FBI's parking lot after 36 months?"  

I've got about 140,000 miles on my 2009 Tahoe. I love that truck. But I know it'll be time to get a new ride at some point in the near future. I'd kind of like to wait to actually test-drive the new (big) Bronco. In the meantime, I've got the typical minimal dash cracks on the Tahoe and might just shell out the cash to replace that when I get my recalled passenger air bags changed out since I'm resigning myself to not getting a good deal on a new or gently-used vehicle any time soon.

Is this the one with the melded coin on the tire?
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We test drove both a Kia Telluride and Subaru Ascent today. We know what trim levels and colors we wanted on each. Kia Telluride is 8-12 weeks out if we reserve with $1000 down. Subaru Ascent we could get on 1/5 if we put down $500. Wife, of course, likes the Telluride better so now I'm going hunting around DFW for one that's hopefully not 8 weeks out. Already got 6 emails out looking for one or how quickly they could get us one. Will post results when I receive them. 

We test drove an ascent too back in summer. While it was “ok”, suv wise and I like Subaru, wasn’t blown away by it. I’d go telluride also. They seem to be the tops for midsize and it shows. My in laws are waiting until like 8 more months to get their telluride which I thought they was insane. They put money down on it like 4 months ago too

I liked the Ascent but the Telluride looks nicer and felt better to drive. There are a lot of aspects of the Ascent I like better like the larger moonroof versus the smaller sunroof on the Kia. Not sure on maintenance on the Kia but Subaru gives you two free years of maintenance. Not a huge deal but a nice add on. Everything felt more roomy in the Kia though. I could get one tomorrow if I go out to Longview (1.5 hours away) and pay $4000 over MSRP, which I don't plan on doing. 

Edited by mdmost

On 11/8/2021 at 8:20 PM, CooterBrown said:

Carvana finally listed my ‘20 Tacoma for $44K.

Damn....   I guess the used ones five years or older are now selling waayyyy above a premium price as well?

A few years ago when shopping for a small used truck for my oldest,  I was amazed at the asking prices for the Tacomas vs the Frontier, Chevy Colorado, and the Ranger.  All within the same mileage range.  But even the Tacoma that were older model years vs the others were listed a few grand over the others.

15 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Damn....   I guess the used ones five years or older are now selling waayyyy above a premium price as well?

A few years ago when shopping for a small used truck for my oldest,  I was amazed at the asking prices for the Tacomas vs the Frontier, Chevy Colorado, and the Ranger.  All within the same mileage range.  But even the Tacoma that were older model years vs the others were listed a few grand over the others.

Toyotas, especially the "run of the mill" types that aren't super-expensive to begin with, really hold value.  Part of it is reliability, and part of it is their interiors don't have a lot of gadgets that break over time, so they appear less dated and "broke down."

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Toyotas, especially the "run of the mill" types that aren't super-expensive to begin with, really hold value.  Part of it is reliability, and part of it is their interiors don't have a lot of gadgets that break over time, so they appear less dated and "broke down."

Yes...  This is why  very high  mile Tacomas can still be sold for a premium in the Middle East and Latin America  and they ship them over there from the States without fuss.

Along  with Suburbans, Tahoes and Yukons.    A friend on mine Dad had a very beat-up Yukon he used for his business with very high miles he finally gave up when he sold the business and was floored with the amount they gave him for the trade.     The finance guy told him it would never sit a day in a used car lot in the States and would be sent to Houston for shipment overseas.   I'm guessing some of the Toyota SUVs like the 4Runner and Land Cruiser  fit in this description too?

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Even the expensive Toyotas hold their value extremely well.  Just look at used Landcruiser prices.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ha. Longview lady told me the car would sell for low 50s. MSRP is mid to high 30s. F that. I can wait. So far my range is 4 weeks, 8 weeks, and 4 to 8 months. I'm trying to pin the two with the shortest waits down on a price as I don't want to wait 4 to 8 weeks only to hear they just had to throw on dealer options that we didn't ask for and do not want to pay for.

Edited by mdmost

On 12/9/2021 at 12:41 PM, tbone_ said:

I wired my BMW into another power source so I did not have to reprogram. No issues in the past 4 years so I guess it worked okay. 

Edited by Telegraph_it

I bought a Hyundai Elantra last week for the kid.  It’s sad but I paid sticker plus only $900 (for tint and clear coat around the door handles because the dealer automatically adds those two things to all their cars) and I was actually happy to give them my money.  Didn’t haggle or anything as they would sell the car quickly since they only get like 2 a month.  

Strange days indeed-John Lennon

These Kia dealerships are really slow at responding. I'm just trying to pin them down on a price, how much to reserve one, and how long it will take. Hearing nothing back from them. We're going to check out another Ascent that's actually good to go if we want it. We test drove an older one the other day but with the salesman in the 2nd row. We didn't have a salesman go on the test drive when we did that for the Telluride. So this other dealership is fine with it just being us and our kids. I'd like them to both get to see if they're fine with the 2nd row as far as legroom and also the 3rd row though we're probably only use it sparingly. One thing I like about Subaru is they don't let their dealerships tack on options. They also give you 2 years of free maintenance. Not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things but still a nice extra. 

Edited by mdmost

56 minutes ago, mdmost said:

These Kia dealerships are really slow at responding. I'm just trying to pin them down on a price, how much to reserve one, and how long it will take. Hearing nothing back from them. We're going to check out another Ascent that's actually good to go if we want it. We test drove an older one the other day but with the salesman in the 2nd row. We didn't have a salesman go on the test drive when we did that for the Telluride. So this other dealership is fine with it just being us and our kids. I'd like them to both get to see if they're fine with the 2nd row as far as legroom and also the 3rd row though we're probably only use it sparingly. One thing I like about Subaru is they don't let their dealerships tack on options. They also give you 2 years of free maintenance. Not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things but still a nice extra. 

Do they still throw in free roller derby tickets with every Subaru purchase?

*I kid I kid

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Do they still throw in free roller derby tickets with every Subaru purchase?

*I kid I kid

No, I'll just get the tickets from your mom and her "friends".

19 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Does the Subaru have a tape deck for your Indigo Girls cassettes?

It does have a CD player. Can I borrow your copy?

It's not like I'm getting an Outback. 

Edited by mdmost

Maybe it was not having a salesman tag along but the test drive of the Ascent Onyx was much better than the Ascent Touring we drove the other day at the different dealership. We're going to call them back tomorrow and get things started. Everything felt better, a lot more roomy, and the Ascent felt better to drive today. The only two dealerships I can get an even decent time frame on for the Kia Telluride gave me a much higher than normal total price so they're definitely adding on dealer options that I don't want like Lojack and something dumb thing called permanent plating. It's just too popular of a car right now. I liked it but it wasn't head and shoulders better than the Ascent, especially for a 2 to 3 month wait. The Sewell Subaru dealership here just got 20 new units so we maybe hit the right time on this one. 

I did get the weird notion of wanting another cat and to buy some Birkenstocks. Not sure what either of those is about. 

I recently sold a 2013 TRD Sport 2wd with 215k miles for $13k. I feel confident I could have got 14-15k for it had I been patient. I bought it new for about $29k.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I recently sold a 2013 TRD Sport 2wd with 215k miles for $13k. I feel confident I could have got 14-15k for it had I been patient. I bought it new for about $29k.

That’s outstanding.   Seriously thinking about either going with a Tacoma or 4-Runner here in a few years when it’s time to let go off my F-150.   We will be empty nesters and thus I won’t really need the space I need now.  My wife can retain the people hauling SUV for the times we need one although a 4Runner would give me that option too. 

Bought my wife a new Volvo last week. Was able to get $1000 off sticker and their dealer add-ons thrown in for free.

Couldn’t believe how much they gave me for her trade. Worn out brake pads, old tires, cracked windshield, keyed by a homeless guy downtown, dent and scrapes where she ran into the garage door, 80k miles, and a history of oil leaks that they’ve fixed at the dealership.  they gave me $24k. I paid $38k four years and 45k miles ago.

• Hook 'Em 1

And the one we test drove last night sold after we left. They can get us another one by January 12th. I'm okay with that as no one else will have ridden in it. Just have to wait a couple weeks which is fine with the holidays. Free maintenance for 2 years. Free loaner car. This one will come with a few more extras which were actually options I was thinking of adding any way. 

Kia dealership closest to me went from 4 weeks to now 3 months. Not interested in waiting that long as I sold my old shitty 2004 Ford pickup to someone I knew and we're down to one car again with the wife returning to the office in mid-January. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/28/2021 at 12:25 PM, midtown said:

I really hope this whole gouging by way of market adjustments ends up biting these dealers in the ass. And fuck the manufacturers for sitting on customer orders while pushing out dealer orders so they can in turn gouge

23YO son and I went to buy him a vehicle today.  He had already done the shopping online and narrowed it down to 2 vehicles. First one sold last night, so we went down the street to other dealership and he tells rep what he wants to see- their mid-tier SUV.  Do the test drive, never kicked the tires(lol,) and went in to talk numbers: No trade-in, $0 down,  first time buyer, not financing with dealership.

Rep comes out with offer, EXCEPT $4500 market adjustment fee added in. I looked at him, and everything up to this point I had STFU and basically let Junior do all the talking. "we're not paying that adjustment fee."

paraphrased," In today's market that's what you can expect to pay."

"We're willing to pay X" Son signs offer sheet.

Rep goes back to manager, but before he goes back I reemphasize not to waste our time running back and forth.

Dude walks back 10 minutes later, price is $680 over X on offer sheet.  Son about dies laughing when I stare back at the rep. 

"I politely and reasonably told you what he is willing to spend. What are you doing?"  Trying my very best not to go all Gunny Hartman on this guy.

"Mr slorch, I thought you your son wanted this vehicle?  We still have to make money on this deal.  Help me go fight for what you want"

"Yeah, about that.  I'm fine and good with you making a profit.  You're not padding your margin with market adjustment fees at his expense.  The young man signed an offer sheet at $X.  We told you that was the bottom line.  If it's not doable, we're walking and will stop taking up your time."

" I'll try one more time"

Mofo came out with a deal at $X.  Inside my head, I'm just shrugging, "Why does it have to be so fucking hard?"  Junior has his new vehicle with no "Market bullshit" fees.  The sales rep was fine throughout the experience, save for this exchange.  They are just straight up gouging people and defending it as "market."  Yeah, you sonsabitches are falsely inflating the "market."

6 hours ago, mdmost said:

And the one we test drove last night sold after we left. They can get us another one by January 12th. I'm okay with that as no one else will have ridden in it. Just have to wait a couple weeks which is fine with the holidays. Free maintenance for 2 years. Free loaner car. This one will come with a few more extras which were actually options I was thinking of adding any way. 

Kia dealership closest to me went from 4 weeks to now 3 months. Not interested in waiting that long as I sold my old shitty 2004 Ford pickup to someone I knew and we're down to one car again with the wife returning to the office in mid-January. 

Well and now we're buying the original one tomorrow. It's a fricking seesaw out there. People who wanted it last night and bought it out from under us got cold feet today I guess and didn't want it after all. So I told them to put on the options I wanted and we'll be there tomorrow to get it done. Happy New Year to us, I guess. 

I bought a 2020 Ram 1500 Lonestar for around 8% under MSRP this week, so I think the market might be loosening up a little. Only got $3k for a 2005 F150 XLT which I probably could of gotten $5k for privately, so who knows. I put about $10 k down a took advantage of 0% financing on a 4 year note. Seemed like a square deal — all things considered. One thing I do know is that I’m enjoying all that new technology that’s in my new truck over that 2005.

• Hook 'Em 1

Well and now we're buying the original one tomorrow. It's a fricking seesaw out there. People who wanted it last night and bought it out from under us got cold feet today I guess and didn't want it after all. So I told them to put on the options I wanted and we'll be there tomorrow to get it done. Happy New Year to us, I guess. 

Be sure and let us know how much surprise market fee they hit you with when you get there tomorrow.

23 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Be sure and let us know how much surprise market fee they hit you with when you get there tomorrow.

They already gave me the out the door price and there's no market fee added. They sent over the sticker and full payment disclosure which only has tax and license fees tacked on. This place seems pretty solid. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, slorch said:

23YO son and I went to buy him a vehicle today.  He had already done the shopping online and narrowed it down to 2 vehicles. First one sold last night, so we went down the street to other dealership and he tells rep what he wants to see- their mid-tier SUV.  Do the test drive, never kicked the tires(lol,) and went in to talk numbers: No trade-in, $0 down,  first time buyer, not financing with dealership.

Rep comes out with offer, EXCEPT $4500 market adjustment fee added in. I looked at him, and everything up to this point I had STFU and basically let Junior do all the talking. "we're not paying that adjustment fee."

paraphrased," In today's market that's what you can expect to pay."

"We're willing to pay X" Son signs offer sheet.

Rep goes back to manager, but before he goes back I reemphasize not to waste our time running back and forth.

Dude walks back 10 minutes later, price is $680 over X on offer sheet.  Son about dies laughing when I stare back at the rep. 

"I politely and reasonably told you what he is willing to spend. What are you doing?"  Trying my very best not to go all Gunny Hartman on this guy.

"Mr slorch, I thought you your son wanted this vehicle?  We still have to make money on this deal.  Help me go fight for what you want"

"Yeah, about that.  I'm fine and good with you making a profit.  You're not padding your margin with market adjustment fees at his expense.  The young man signed an offer sheet at $X.  We told you that was the bottom line.  If it's not doable, we're walking and will stop taking up your time."

" I'll try one more time"

Mofo came out with a deal at $X.  Inside my head, I'm just shrugging, "Why does it have to be so fucking hard?"  Junior has his new vehicle with no "Market bullshit" fees.  The sales rep was fine throughout the experience, save for this exchange.  They are just straight up gouging people and defending it as "market."  Yeah, you sonsabitches are falsely inflating the "market."

This shit makes me hate dealerships. We get a new vehicle every 4-5 years and I do the same thing about the price. They wouldn’t take the offer sheet to the sales manager if they didn’t think they could get sign off on it. 

51 minutes ago, BottleRocket said:

I bought a 2020 Ram 1500 Lonestar for around 8% under MSRP this week, so I think the market might be loosening up a little. Only got $3k for a 2005 F150 XLT which I probably could of gotten $5k for privately, so who knows. I put about $10 k down a took advantage of 0% financing on a 4 year note. Seemed like a square deal — all things considered. One thing I do know is that I’m enjoying all that new technology that’s in my new truck over that 2005.

Edited by elfenix
fuck bud selig
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, BottleRocket said:

Dang I’m surprised you only got $3k .  I thought any truck that still ran and wasn’t about to disappear in a poof  of rust was worth at least $10k

Just did the whole car shopping thing. Looked at Tahoes and Yukons but they are all out extremely far but they are willing to sell at MSRP.  Never heard back from the Genesis dealer on GV80. Went with the new MDX. Paid MSRP minus a $750 rebate for owning a BMW. The dealer did tint and ceramic coat it for $1000. The gave me $32k for our 2016 4Runner with 80k miles. We paid $39k in December of 2015.