1995 Nebraska: A Decade Of Dominance

Vic Mackey

I'll admit that I was rooting like hell for Nebraska in 1994 because I hated Miami.  That ceased in 1995 when it became apparent that Tom Osborne was a piece of shit for playing Lawrence Phillips. 

Then they joined the Big XII and grew into a fanbase of whiny bitches on the way to a 1-9 conference record against Texas and, well, you know how it ended.

Garrett+Gilbert+Texas+v+Nebraska+HiNCjMo

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, El Moco said:

A decade ended by Roll Left.

And has now been supplanted by the latest decade of dominance:  'Roll Tide'

Interesting that we played an important role in each of these events. (FML 2009, FML)

• Like 1

Re: James Brown and ‘97, true, sub par SR year. They can’t all be winners. I was more thinking of the final SWC title he earned us in ‘95 (as well as SWC offensive POY) and upset of #3 Nebraska for the inaugural Big XII title in ‘96. Just seems like he’s never mentioned in the pantheon of great UT QBs and he accomplished quite a bit.

Edited by Scholz

Back then, it almost felt like they would never lose. Nebraska was such a dominant power. They were almost scary good.

I respect their program, and I do respect their fanbase and tradition, but we broke them. They never expected to lose to us in the Big 12 CCG, nor the other 8 times we beat them. I was able to attend the last game with them in Lincoln in 2010. Many of their fans were rude and obnoxious to us before and after the game. They were still butthurt about the :01 Hunter Lawrence kick in 2009. (BTW, the whiny-ass Husker loser comments on this YouTube video:

really sum up their brokenness. Reality is just out of their grasp.) They KNEW they would beat us in 2010, but nope!

I generally like Nebraksa fans, but they are comepletely irrational when it comes to us. I am fortunate enough to have married into a family with some Nebraska fans, and I always have to pat them on the head like a little brother when it comes to Cornhusker football talk. 

3 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

They KNEW they would beat us in 2010, but nope!

That was probably the game that best demonstrated Pelini's biggest weakness as a coach, and it had nothing to do with what happened after the coin toss.  I think it was the day prior to the game, he reviewed the 2009 CCG with the team, and, in some weird way to show the team that they controlled their own destiny, focused on every mistake which led to the defeat.  It was completely opposite of what every sports psychologist will tell you about visualization.  That team was tight, and when shit started going down hill, there was no saving them.  Talk about letting a team into your head.  He opened the door and gave Texas a tent to camp out in.  As a DC, I think he has some skills.  But he is wired in such a fucked up way, he has no instinct on how to consistently motivate kids in a healthy manner.  Those last few years, the Husker teams - particularly the defenses - were mentally fragile.  He'd get all pissy during the post blowout press conferences, talking about how the schemes were sound, but the kids weren't executing.  Sure, but getting them to execute is part of the job. 

On 5/14/2018 at 8:55 PM, Scholz said:

Re: James Brown and ‘97, true, sub par SR year. They can’t all be winners. I was more thinking of the final SWC title he earned us in ‘95 (as well as SWC offensive POY) and upset of #3 Nebraska for the inaugural Big XII title in ‘96. Just seems like he’s never mentioned in the pantheon of great UT QBs and he accomplished quite a bit.

His senior year was flat out awful and so was that team, inexplicably. His teams never finished higher than #14, and that team had a dud Sugar Bowl. 

He had some really nice wins and appeared to have brought us out of the dark period, but then ‘97 happened. He should not be mentioned in the same breath as Street, VY, Colt, Layne or even Simms or Applewhite, and four of those were his successors (in his era). So it’s easy to see why he’s not mentioned in our pantheon. 

10 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I had never heard that story about his pregame film review before. What an absolutely terrible idea.

Conversely, imagine Mack in the visitor locker room.  "Men, we're having a terrible year and I'm busting my ass recruiting in Florida but damnit we need a win!  We own these cowfuckers!  They've won one game versus us and that was a team that was arguably the best team in the country that year....and their only loss was to.. US!  We've owned them for decades.  This is their decade of dominance, and we've beaten them every time we've played them but one!  They played 63 games over the course of 5 years and lost only 3 games and one was to us!  Hell, back in 1970, long before you were jizz in your daddy's sack, we stole a share of a the national championship, FROM THEM!  We lost the last game of the season and still were crowned National Champions!  In what fucking universe does that happened?  Men!  Our universe!  It happens in our universe!  Now go kick their ass for the 9th time!"

5 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Conversely, imagine Mack in the visitor locker room.  "Men, we're having a terrible year and I'm busting my ass recruiting in Florida but damnit we need a win!  We own these cowfuckers!  They've won one game versus us and that was a team that was arguably the best team in the country that year....and their only loss was to.. US!  We've owned them for decades.  This is their decade of dominance, and we've beaten them every time we've played them but one!  They played 63 games over the course of 5 years and lost only 3 games and one was to us!  Hell, back in 1970, long before you were jizz in your daddy's sack, we stole a share of a the national championship, FROM THEM!  We lost the last game of the season and still were crowned National Champions!  In what fucking universe does that happened?  Men!  Our universe!  It happens in our universe!  Now go kick their ass for the 9th time!"

Not enough cookies.

But damn, you should be embarrassed that Mack has your collective ballsack mounted on his wall. 

6 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Osborne's speech the day after the exit announcement was full aggy.

Never go full aggy.

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Really wished we could have played them in '83. Irresistible force vs immovable object, but in the end we both were upset on NYD. What a fateful day that was in retrospect: it was the birth of the U and our ruination for almost 20 years. 

I'd say closer to 12 years.  1995 and one was pretty good outside of 1 year.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

I'd say closer to 12 years.  1995 and one was pretty good outside of 1 year.

But it was the last day we were an elite program for a really long time...We had so much bad luck in those days. Imagine four years of a reasonably healthy Edwin Simmons. If we had him for the UGA game we win 30-6.