World's Best Cities

FunkSoulBrother

Zagreb was amazing

Chicago is ....

Can't beat SF for asian food and Michelin star spots.

washington dc has better food in the burbs

vienna isn't great...

san diego is laughable

all switzerland restaurants are trash because of price point. went to a few 2 Michelin star places last visit (less than 2 months ago) and rather just eat basically any other country.

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

And honestly, not sure what the criteria is. If it's tourism based - Austin is by far #1 in Texas. If it's quality of life, like I said, how the fuck are Paris and Moscow in the top 5?

https://www.bestcities.org/methodology/

It seems to be a combination of tourism and quality of life.

Edited by FunkSoulBrother

12 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Fucking awesome 

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3383063/scientific-study-by-science-people-says-chicago-is-the-2nd-most-beautiful-city-in-the-world
Second most beautiful city in the world behind Prague.  Biased but Chicago is gorgeous.  This just came out as well.  Anyways, check the pics out on the link and argue with me…

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3383063/scientific-study-by-science-people-says-chicago-is-the-2nd-most-beautiful-city-in-the-world
Second most beautiful city in the world behind Prague.  Biased but Chicago is gorgeous.  This just came out as well.  Anyways, check the pics out on the link and argue with me…

I love Chicago but now do all those pics with a coating of sludgy black snow everywhere.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

Houston is a much more cosmopolitan and diverse city than anywhere in TX. 

It's a hair more diverse and cosmopolitan than Dallas and neither are the best city in the state (again). 

It also has the worst weather of any major city in Texas. Maybe tied with San Antonio. 

6 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I love Chicago but now do all those pics with a coating of sludgy black snow everywhere.

Just makes you enjoy the summer that much more…also don’t be poor and be able to travel at least a few times over the winter.  Also drinking makes a lot of shit better…including a miserable winter.  

2 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

I will argue about the weather here with anyone. Yes, it is unbearably hot/humid and downright unpleasant for close to 5 months out of the year. But for 7 months out of the year, save two weeks when it gets “cold” the weather here is fucking glorious. I’d make that trade all day

Don't really care. Main point is you're batting for 2nd. Dallas is more seasonal which some people enjoy and the summer is less oppressive. All I was trying to say. 

12 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yeah man, we live in a great town. It ain't perfect and things could be better. But for the most part I love the Windy City.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Was this the Russian and French coalition's list of the year? 

Never been to Paris or Moscow but pretty fucking sure there's 20 or so cities in America I'd live in before I set foot in Russia. 

Moscow is amazing. Cosmopolitan, messy, fashionable. It’s a premier city - I like it much better than Paris for instance. 

Amsterdam sucks. It’s a fake museum with annoying as fuck British stag party goers. Thankfully they’re killing their drug tourist culture, maybe it helps. Rotterdam >>>> Amsterdam 

11 minutes ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

Yeah man, we live in a great town. It ain't perfect and things could be better. But for the most part I love the Windy City.

6 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Property taxes are the worst part of Chicago. But no better place in the summer - North Avenue Beach, Cubs games, patio bars in the West Loop, Lollapallooza, street festivals etc.

Chicago is awesome if you ignore the rampant homicide that takes part in the areas of the city that none of you visit. 

My top 5 (I’m fortunate to be very well traveled) 

London
NYC
Moscow
Tokyo
Berlin (most underrated city on earth imo - go spend a week there) 

Haven’t been to the Middle East outside of Cairo so can’t speak to Istanbul which is supposedly amazing in every way. 

If this was a livability list it’d be different and Madrid would be #1.  

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

Love NYC.  Go there 10x a year.  It’s not nearly as livable as Chicago.  Chicago you can live in the best parts of the city and drive wherever - may be traffic but it’s possible.  NYC?  Forget about it.  

Mid west 10 is at best an nyc 5. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Chicago is awesome if you ignore the rampant homicide that takes part in the areas of the city that none of you visit. 

I visit those.  We cover Englewood etc.  It’s still an amazing city.  Definitely need to fix that shit but it blows away 99% of cities even with the homicide.  I was born in Texas and 90% of my family still lives there - even they all agree, nothing there compares.  

5 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

My top 5 (I’m fortunate to be very well traveled) 

London
NYC
Moscow
Tokyo
Berlin (most underrated city on earth imo - go spend a week there) 

Haven’t been to the Middle East outside of Cairo so can’t speak to Istanbul which is supposedly amazing in every way. 

If this was a livability list it’d be different and Madrid would be #1.  

Any visits to Hong Kong or Singapore?

12 minutes ago, LABEVO said:

Mid west 10 is at best an nyc 5. 

Girls wise?  No shit.  There’s a reason I deal with Florida Man with my condo in Miami…the talent is tops in the country.  Also just did fashion week NYC.  I think I know a little about who has what pussy and where…I didn’t think that’s what this convo was about?

edit: also, do not get me wrong, I like where your heads at.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I visit those.  We cover Englewood etc.  It’s still an amazing city.  Definitely need to fix that shit but it blows away 99% of cities even with the homicide.  I was born in Texas and 90% of my family still lives there - even they all agree, nothing there compares.  

I'm mainly taking the piss but we can agree to disagree. I'd never rather live in Chicago than any of the major 4 cities in Texas. You're also quite wealthy and your experience probably differs from others. Being poor in Austin beats being poor in Chicago 10 times out of 10. 

I mean - in my experience - Chicago is more expensive to visit than NYC. That's laughable. One is a tier 1 global city - one is a tier 2. 

Edited by ztejas

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I'm mainly taking the piss but we can agree to disagree. I'd never rather live in Chicago than any of the major 4 cities in Texas. You're also quite wealthy and your experience probably differs from others. Being poor in Austin beats being poor in Chicago 10 times out of 10. 

I mean - in my experience - Chicago is more expensive to visit than NYC. That's laughable. One is a tier 1 global city - one is a tier 2. 

Moved to Chicago intern year making 35k a year lol.  And Chicago is more expensive than NYC?  Lol.  Wtf did you do?

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Just wandering each city Chicago seemed more price gougey. 

I guess it could happen to anyone but typical going out nyc crushes me vs Chicago.  And I love NYC…just find Chicago a whole lot more liveable.  And with better highrise architecture…SoHo for a weekend is hard to beat, though.  

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I guess it could happen to anyone but typical going out nyc crushes me vs Chicago.  And I love NYC…just find Chicago a whole lot more liveable.  And with better highrise architecture…SoHo for a weekend is hard to beat, though.  

The things that irritate you about NYC probably don't irritate tourists as much. I wasn't going out and getting bottle service. Agree on architecture - Chicago is very tasteful and commands a certain aesthetic. Dallas is actually similar when it comes to high rise developments. So is Philly. 

I was poor in chicago and had more fun than you’ll ever have in your life.
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

I will argue about the weather here with anyone. Yes, it is unbearably hot/humid and downright unpleasant for close to 5 months out of the year. But for 7 months out of the year, save two weeks when it gets “cold” the weather here is fucking glorious. I’d make that trade all day

The weather in Houston is not glorious for 7 months. Unless your definition of glorious involves shit 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I just saw Candyman and Chicago seemed pretty shitty, tbh. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

https://www.bestcities.org/rankings/worlds-best-cities/

1. London

2. Paris

3. New York City

4. Moscow

5. Dubai

6. Tokyo

7. Singapore

8. Los Angeles

9. Barcelona

10. Madrid

32. Houston

44. Dallas

47. Austin

Big fucking nope to that list across many dimensions. 

St Petersburg is a very cool city from an 'awe' perspective - the size and aesthetics and differenceness of it

Chicago is a very cool city - in that it is more significant than its role as 2nd fiddle to NY

Vienna is amazing

Zagreb is a fucking turd in every sense.  lol.

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Big fucking nope to that list across many dimensions. 

St Petersburg is a very cool city from an 'awe' perspective - the size and aesthetics and differenceness of it

Chicago is a very cool city - in that it is more significant than its role as 2nd fiddle to NY

Vienna is amazing

Zagreb is a fucking turd in every sense.  lol.

Vienna great but Budapest better.  Zagreb is great for the lulz.  Real wtf there.  Finally crossing Prague off the list in the next few months…but I have a feeling it will rank quite well.

These lists are great for arguing.  And what better place to argue than here?