Origin of story of Sodom and Gomorrah discovered

Satoshi

6 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

What are the odds on that? 

As in, how many Tunguska-sized airbursts happen on Earth and how many cities existed on Earth during that time? 

That had to be a 1 in a billion shot. I'm not a religious man, but fuck... 

Yet somehow Vegas and LA still stand.  I'm no expert on Sodom and Gomorrah but I can't imagine they were doing more sinful shit than your average modern metropolis, today. 

1 minute ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Yet somehow Vegas and LA still stand.  I'm no expert on Sodom and Gomorrah but I can't imagine they were doing more sinful shit than your average modern metropolis, today. 

Apparently they was fucking one another in the ass like a choo choo train

• Haha 3

So the cities were literally leveled by a giant airburst; and the scholars of the day attributed it to a vengeful Yahweh as punishment for something else?  And the story somehow stuck until science could explain the airburst?  And this legend is why most societies have made sodomy illegal for so many hundreds of years?  

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

So the cities were literally leveled by a giant airburst; and the scholars of the day attributed it to a vengeful Yahweh as punishment for something else?  And the story somehow stuck until science could explain the airburst?  And this legend is why most societies have made sodomy illegal for so many hundreds of years?  

That's what your wife says.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

What are the odds on that? 

As in, how many Tunguska-sized airbursts happen on Earth and how many cities existed on Earth during that time? 

That had to be a 1 in a billion shot. I'm not a religious man butt fuck... 

fixed

• Hook 'Em 1

Ezekiel 16:49-50

Spoiler

49 “‘Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom:(A) She and her daughters were arrogant,(B) overfed and unconcerned;(C)they did not help the poor and needy.(D)50 They were haughty(E) and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.(F)

But, the other story has anal, and gang raping gay bashing.

• Hook 'Em 2

most "religions" have a flood story. ancient people were memorializing natural events and catastrophes for ages. with the verbal nature of how history and stories were passed on from generation to generation, it's no wonder that a big flood can become an epic event from gawd.

https://www.mythoreligio.com/15-flood-myths-similar-to-the-story-of-noah-2/

did gawd smite these cities? if you believe it so then he did.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

most "religions" have a flood story. ancient people were memorializing natural events and catastrophes for ages. with the verbal nature of how history and stories were passed on from generation to generation, it's no wonder that a big flood can become an epic event from gawd.

https://www.mythoreligio.com/15-flood-myths-similar-to-the-story-of-noah-2/

did gawd smite these cities? if you believe it so then he did.

Pretty sure he was none too pleased that the Aztec with the multiple cocks-name managed to survive his flood.

11. COXCOX
(Aztec myth)

Coxcox.jpg?resize=1000%2C500

In Aztec mythology, Coxcox was the only male survivor of a worldwide flood. The  Aztecs believed that only Coxcox and his wife, Xochiquetzal, survived the flood. They took refuge in the hollow trunk of a cypress, which floated on top of the water and finally banked on a mountain in Culhuacan. They had many children, but all of them were dumb. The great spirit took pity on them, and sent a dove, which attempted to teach the children how to speak. Fifteen of them succeeded and from these, the Aztecs believed, the Toltecs and Aztecs were descended.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, smuggs said:

Pretty sure he was none too pleased that the Aztec with the multiple cocks-name managed to survive his flood.

yea about that particular myth....so the Aztecs and Toltecs are stupid ass people descended from a dude with two cox and educated by a dove? the great spirit couldn't have at least sent an owl to teach the idiots? as the elders told that story from generation to generation about how their people came to be, not one thought of the obvious self ownage flaw in that story?

Yep. Occam's razor and shit...

My god, what if other stories on the bible can be explained away by science, reason, or coincidence?  You realize the implications of this?  

What if other sacred religious texts (Koran, Tipitaka, the Vedas, et. al.) can be undermined as well?  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

My god, what if other stories on the bible can be explained away by science, reason, or coincidence?  You realize the implications of this?  

What if other sacred religious texts (Koran, Tipitaka, the Vedas, et. al.) can be undermined as well?  

Shocking, right? Although Tall el-Hammam is, by most consideration, not the location of Sodom. But yeah, science and shit seems to explain a lot of things.

44 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

yea about that particular myth....so the Aztecs and Toltecs are stupid ass people descended from a dude with two cox and educated by a dove? the great spirit couldn't have at least sent an owl to teach the idiots? as the elders told that story from generation to generation about how their people came to be, not one thought of the obvious self ownage flaw in that story?

I feel like there's a "When Doves Cry" joke here, but I can't quite come up with anything. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

How does it undermine religion?  If an all powerful god wanted to smite a city, smashing it with a giant meteor conjured up out of nothing seems just a plausible as anything else.   Just like an all powerful god could have created a planet 6,000 years ago and seeded it with fossils and other historical artifacts.

I saw all of this on the History Channel several years ago.

image.png.dd5427ab714bad9b823b65165cc227c1.png

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

How does it undermine religion?  If an all powerful god wanted to smite a city, smashing it with a giant meteor conjured up out of nothing seems just a plausible as anything else.   Just like an all powerful god could have created a planet 6,000 years ago and seeded it with fossils and other historical artifacts.

This. And I'm about as non-religious as someone can get without actually being atheist. 

4 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

If an all powerful god wanted to smite a city, smashing it with a giant meteor conjured up out of nothing seems just a plausible as anything else.

There are a ton of solutions more befitting an all powerful god. Smashing-with-meteor is the approach I’d expect from a merely somewhat powerful god.

Slightly tangential but the Oracle at Delphi was basically a geological phenomena. The high priestess was often drawn slumped over in her chair after the gods released a sweet smelling gas in the basement chamber if she lived, she would then tell you the gods message.

Really there was a fault and a small hotspot in the subsurface and some bituminous formation above, where not to dissimilar to old faithful would cause the gas to come up to chamber in a form of ethylene. We used to use it as an anesthetic up until the 1920s.

23 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Don't forget about that damn ballgame