MH 370

Wally Fairway

22 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Pilots intentionally crashing passenger jets seems to happen disturbingly often.

I think it's just that it tends to be big news when it does. Lots of people (unfortunately) are suicidal, depressed, mentally ill, etc. It's just that they tend not to take 200 strangers with them when they go.

A common denominator in these cases is that the suicidal pilot has to get rid of the copilot, and the easiest way to do that is simply lock him or her out of the cockpit. That's confirmed in the Germanwings case, and strongly suspected in MH370. According to Wikipedia, lots of jurisdictions implemented "two people in the cockpit at all times" rules after Germanwings. That seems like a good idea to me. The people that commit these acts are cowards, they're not going to try to overpower even a female flight attendant.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The key is identifying pilots that are in poor mental shape. The paradox is that the pilots need to feel safe that they can seek help without ending their career.

Never gonna happen, bro. Pilot's Union Boss out front shoulda told ya.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Claim that ham radio signal interference from that night can be used to track MH370’s flight. Seems a bit far-fetched to me but then again I’m not sure other evidence is going to be found.  The science behind the claim isn’t explored deeply in this segment but that would also put people to sleep.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Claim that ham radio signal interference from that night can be used to track MH370’s flight. Seems a bit far-fetched to me but then again I’m not sure other evidence is going to be found.  The science behind the claim isn’t explored deeply in this segment but that would also put people to sleep.

Ha. We must have the same YouTube algorithm. Just watched this a bit ago. It seems like it would be pretty easy and cheap to test radio signal tracker dude’s technique by sending another 777 on a test flight out over the Indian Ocean and tell him to, “Track this, bitch!!!”. Honestly, the fact that this obvious option wasn’t mentioned in the video is kinda suspect.

Bernard

I read an article and discussion on airliners.net about that…the science seems legit and given the absolutely endless water that defines that part of the globe, it seems very plausible that those returns came from the plane itself.  No real military action out there and the track lines up with known primary radar returns.  

Im not sure anyone wants to volunteer a few hundred thousand dollars to fly a 777 to the middle of nowhere to prove it out.  All it would conclusively prove is that something was out there and the weak signal approach seems to work.  Besides now that insurance seems to have closed on it, there’s no big money to start up another ocean scanning rig for a few weeks. 

6 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I read an article and discussion on airliners.net about that…the science seems legit and given the absolutely endless water that defines that part of the globe, it seems very plausible that those returns came from the plane itself.  No real military action out there and the track lines up with known primary radar returns.  

Im not sure anyone wants to volunteer a few hundred thousand dollars to fly a 777 to the middle of nowhere to prove it out.  All it would conclusively prove is that something was out there and the weak signal approach seems to work.  Besides now that insurance seems to have closed on it, there’s no big money to start up another ocean scanning rig for a few weeks. 

There must be an eccentric billionaire out there that is willing to throw away some money on something like this. 777 radio test if not scanning the ocean. Perhaps the 777 test could involve a cargo plane already flying across the Indian Ocean but willing to assist in a test for $$.

Is it important to note that the Australian search effort did sonar search this supposed crash area but he thinks a more thorough search will prove his location theory.

At the 13:15 point of the video above, there is mention of the analyst's theory of the plane performing a oval holding pattern for 20 minutes relatively close to Indonesia. The reporter and analyst mention a theory that the pilot was in communication with the Malaysian govt/authorities. Is that a plausible theory? I hadn't heard that one before.

• 2 years later...

The Sea Creatures That Opened a New Mystery About MH370

Could freaky barnacles do what advanced technology couldn’t — find the missing plane?

“After a failed search, you have to recalibrate,” says Todd Humphreys, a professor of aeronautical engineering at the University of Texas at Austin. “Sometimes you preclude the possibility of even looking for evidence because you have very strong priors against it. I think by this point, we’ve been pushed into a corner where we do need to revisit those priors.”

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/mh370-search-debris-barnacles.html

• Hook 'Em 3