Top Chef - Houston

TonyTexas

On 3/11/2022 at 2:25 AM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Pom-poms were fucking dorky as shit.

They have to play off some local stereotypes to some extent. Of course the average Tomball football fan probably considers red lobster as their favorite restaurant and would refuse to eat most top chef dishes. 

im sure we will see a rodeo/bbq themed episode as well. I’m looking forward to them talking about more of the diverse food scene in Houston.

as far as not having more local contestants, that doesn’t bother me. I do hope they continue to bring on local chefs/owners as the judges. That is what can highlight Houston as a food destination. I’m sure most or all of the locals chefs/restaurateurs shown on episode 1 will make another appearance. Does anyone not want to try queso at Irma’s now?

• Hook 'Em 2

Good street food episode (as a lover of Asian food and having lived out there).  Shopped at all the markets (mainly at 99 Ranch The Japanese place and Hong Kong Market) and have eaten at most the "guest" chefs places - Himalaya, Crawfish and Noodles, Fattest Cow, Karan's, Mala's, Blind Goat, Schun and Dumpling Haus. Wish we had an actual "night market"!

Would you ever grill a potato again? Favorite contestant they have ever had.

That guy was my wife’s favorite but he was an idiot. Another instance of morons that think the show is about them “showing who I am” instead of understanding the challenge and how to attack it. All he had to do was parboil the potato and then grill it and maybe he doesn’t go home.

I would have sent home that Buddha idiot. Fried puff pastry after being told not to do it by the Indian food expert. Raw dough. He still defended what he did, because of his feels.

This is a lame cast so far. Not a Voltaggio or Blais or Izard in the bunch.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Not many seasons do. The season is doing a good job of weeding out the weak early on. I’m rooting for the hometown girl. Her Latin/Asian skills seem to fit in well with Houstoncentric cuisine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/18/2022 at 7:04 AM, kevwun said:

I have driven by 99 Ranch Market many times and had no clue it was an Asian market.

They have frozen beef tenderloins for $25ish bucks each (as do most Asian markets). Cut it in half and grill the thick side and use the thinner half (remove the silverskin first) and cut it up into cubes for stirfry.  It may be choice grade but it's still a tenderloin... I usually pick up a few when I'm nearby an toss them in the freezer (as well a few bags of frozen dumplings)... (sorry, wrong thread...)  :)

Edited by Grimas
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 7:05 AM, Texzilla58 said:

That guy was my wife’s favorite but he was an idiot. Another instance of morons that think the show is about them “showing who I am” instead of understanding the challenge and how to attack it. All he had to do was parboil the potato and then grill it and maybe he doesn’t go home.

I would have sent home that Buddha idiot. Fried puff pastry after being told not to do it by the Indian food expert. Raw dough. He still defended what he did, because of his feels.

I think Damarr is solid. 

With regards to Sam, maybe it was editing, but he should have told them he screwed up and had to pivot instead of playing it off like he meant to grill it from the beginning. 

At least that way they would have seen that it wasn’t a flaw in concept from the jump. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think Damarr is solid. 

With regards to Sam, maybe it was editing, but he should have told them he screwed up and had to pivot instead of playing it off like he meant to grill it from the beginning. 

At least that way they would have seen that it wasn’t a flaw in concept from the jump. 

It seems the attitude of the chefs changed a few seasons back. It’s like they come in with an adamant perspective of their culture and force everything through that lens. We get a constant barrage of culture wokeness with every challenge regardless of the scope of it. The task is to boil an egg. We dont need a lecture on the west African diaspora, or life on the res, or your egg allergy, or why you’re a vegan, or the fact you’re a proud lesbian Latinx chef. Boil a fucking egg! There are other challenges to show who the fuck you are.
To be outside the box you gotta know what’s in the box, like frying puff pastry because of your feels instead of science.

I really miss Top Chef Masters. Loved watching real talent going at it like Jonathan Waxman, Rick Moonen, Hubert Keller, and Rick Bayless.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

It seems the attitude of the chefs changed a few seasons back. It’s like they come in with an adamant perspective of their culture and force everything through that lens. We get a constant barrage of culture wokeness with every challenge regardless of the scope of it. The task is to boil an egg. We dont need a lecture on the west African diaspora, or life on the res, or your egg allergy, or why you’re a vegan, or the fact you’re a proud lesbian Latinx chef. Boil a fucking egg! There are other challenges to show who the fuck you are.
To be outside the box you gotta know what’s in the box, like frying puff pastry because of your feels instead of science.

I really miss Top Chef Masters. Loved watching real talent going at it like Jonathan Waxman, Rick Moonen, Hubert Keller, and Rick Bayless.

I’m gonna disagree because I don’t see any of that at all. You seem to be fairly hung up on it and seeing things that aren’t there, in my opinion. 

What I do think changed was chefs stopped being as big of assholes as they were in the earlier seasons. I think they saw how the asshole chefs came off on tv and didn’t want to be seen that way. 

Look at the ones who came back for all stars that were “villains” in their seasons.  They learned from their behavior and didn’t want to repeat it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Amazing points! It reminds me of American Idol back in the day: to wit, stay in your box. The thing is I do like it to a degree. You have to know yourself and put yourself into what you do. Having said that…I think the guy that’s can’t taste or smell or whatever is at least final four/five

Amazing points! It reminds me of American Idol back in the day: to wit, stay in your box. The thing is I do like it to a degree. You have to know yourself and put yourself into what you do. Having said that…I think the guy that’s can’t taste or smell or whatever is at least final four/five

I get tired of folks doing stupid shit and using “ I was thinking outside the box!” as an excuse. I’m all about new perspectives and ideas in cooking, as I go back to when fettuccine Alfredo was bleeding edge, and respect greatly the innovators who have changed the world of dining.

Moved back to DFW in 87 and we were able to eat Dean Fearing’s food at the Mansion, Stephan Pyles food at Baby Routh, along with the Rathbun Brothers, Robert Del Grande in Houston, etc. my career allowed me to eat in the finest places like French Laundry, le cirque, Hubert Kellers places, Alice waters, Waxman, Nancy Oakes boulevard. None of these concepts existed in the 70’s.

We’re now on the third Gen of chefs since then and many of them see cooking first as a path to internet fame. You have to master the box before you can disrupt the box. I was an early internet player and disruption was the common term. We have to disrupt the paradigm. If you don’t under stand it though you just fuck shit up.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

This is why I think Sam was sent home.  Had he just owned that he fucked up and had to pivot, but made a bad choice, I think he stays.

Agreed. Regardless I was surprised Buddha didn’t go home for fried greasy raw puff pastry when he had been warned twice not to do it and why. Did it anyway out of arrogance and ignorance.

21 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Agreed. Regardless I was surprised Buddha didn’t go home for fried greasy raw puff pastry when he had been warned twice not to do it and why. Did it anyway out of arrogance and ignorance.

Yep. His food sucks also. He’s a poser. I just liked Sam because he was 100% honest about what his vision was. You hardly see that. The judges got it and rewarded him with a last chance kitchen vote. How the show works. I’d rather someone be genuine about their ideas than Dawn Burrell that was consistently finding bullshit reasons for why she didn’t measure up and the judges consistently rewarding said bullshit.

Yep. His food sucks also. He’s a poser. I just liked Sam because he was 100% honest about what his vision was. You hardly see that. The judges got it and rewarded him with a last chance kitchen vote. How the show works. I’d rather someone be genuine about their ideas than Dawn Burrell that was consistently finding bullshit reasons for why she didn’t measure up and the judges consistently rewarding said bullshit.

Had less of an issue with Sam than Buddha and a couple others. I think Sam’s cheerful attitude about fucking is really pissed off Padma.

14 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Had less of an issue with Sam than Buddha and a couple others. I think Sam’s cheerful attitude about fucking is really pissed off Padma.

You don’t want to piss off Padma. She occasionally takes a liking or disliking to a contestant and digs her heels in. Luckily Tom’s opinion is the one that usually matters most. 

Edited by TonyTexas

I was cool with Sam from a viewer standpoint since he wasn't boring. However I assume that they've been fairly disappointed in his overall cooking so far. If you're performing well but screw up one, the judges often look the other way for one episode. Obviously a really bad screwup or any screwup late in the season, can still send a great chef home.

I enjoy the season so far but mainly because it's in Houston. If this was <insert other random city>, I would probably be somewhat bored.

Lord have mercy so much bitching about making a fucking biscuit.

Liked the Wylie Dufresne challenge. I ate at his WD50 in NYC in 05 and it was a hell of an experience. One of the dishes was like that foie gras dish tonight. It wasn’t the kind of place you’d eat at regularly but certainly a fun evening with some colleagues.

The biscuit quickfire was meh as were the results. I don’t like baking challenges on Top Chef but even the accompaniments seemed weak. 
 On the other hand, the elimination challenge was great, both in concept and presented dishes. One of my all time favorites. 

27 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Does anyone really give a shit about QFs anymore? Let’s just have a one-hour go-home competition. 

No. I think they need to shake the format up some. It's really getting stale and having boring contestants isn't helping. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Wonder what local pit masters they’ll have on next week for the BBQ challenge. Couldn’t tell from the preview. I asume Truth, Killen’s or Pinkerton’s would be good guesses.

It looked like they were sitting down in the dining room of J-Bar-M in the preview.  Outside chairs looked the same too.

3 hours ago, Deej said:

No. I think they need to shake the format up some. It's really getting stale and having boring contestants isn't helping. 

I still feel like a synergy of Top Chef/ Below deck needs to happen. Your dish sucks walk the plank. If you win the immunity challenge you receive…a flotation device. I

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I think no tastebuds guy makes final three.

I think he's lying about no taste/no smell. What better way to impress the judges than if they think your putting out great food without being able to taste it. haha. 

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

I think he's lying about no taste/no smell. What better way to impress the judges than if they think your putting out great food without being able to taste it. haha. 

Best fake ever if true! Did you season this? Fuck ya! He’s a surly.

19 minutes ago, Deej said:

Did I miss something?  Has he disclosed this?   In the first episode, he said he would not say anything about it.

10 minutes ago, DFWTexEx said:

Did I miss something?  Has he disclosed this?   In the first episode, he said he would not say anything about it.

He originally said that he lost his sense of taste and smell due to Covid. He subsequently has said his taste buds are back but but not his smeller, which is equally important.