Top Chef - Houston

TonyTexas

I think he's lying about no taste/no smell. What better way to impress the judges than if they think your putting out great food without being able to taste it. haha. 

Makes perfect excuse when sent home. I woulda won if I could smell!

The QFs were used for ad rev for years, not as much now. “Today you’ll cook dishes with delightful Mountain Dew!”

Gail is like fine wine. Gets hotter every season. She is perfection in every way and body part.
  • Haha 1

One of the top 3 cut most of the bark off on the top of his brisket.  Jesus fuck.  Some of them didn't even cut it across the grain.  I could slice a dinosaur roast up properly if you plopped one down in front of me.  Carving meat is not hard.

So far this is the worst group of chefs I can recall. Most of them seem to be really dull witted, without a clue about the show, and generally soulless. Most of the cooking seems like what you’d find on a fancy hotel Sunday brunch. If I’m going to Houston I better learn up on traditional cuisines as well as hot new trends in the market; all seem baffled by basics like queso and brisket and ignorant of hot multiAsian trends. The show has tried to put really strong Houston cuisine elements in front of them and most of them seem totally clueless to all of it.

Right now I’m for the Texas gal and the dude from Mississippi. I want that arrogant shitbird Buddha to flame out and that Texas hater no smell douche Jackson to collapse.

• Hook 'Em 3

30 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I hate any type of last chance kitchen. You out you out.

Two of my favorite winners, Brooke and Kristen, came out of LCK. 

I agree that the quality of chef is down this year. Not a lot of creativity or innovation. That said, it’s still a great show. I am rooting hard for the hometown girl 

I know they did and they are two of my favorites. Brooke is a badass hottie, so sweet but you know she’s crazy in bed.

But does a chef have an advantage in LCK? Some of these challenges the remaining chefs go through are pretty arduous like when they’re doing big banquets, restaurant wars, on top of mountains, etc. that don’t take a toll on the LCK badasses and they come back less stressed than the others.

they seem to have simplified Restaurant Wars to take away design and such to focus on food more. The service end on front of house is sometimes unfair as that’s not cooking. A lot of chefs have no hospitality training or personality.

On 4/1/2022 at 12:47 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

And we’re lucky enough to get one of the losers back already. 

she does *nothing* for me. not super creative, and LCK was a prime example of it.

Spoiler

she grabs stuff for 1 dish and only 1 dish

Sara grabs stuff to go a number of directions

Sara gets boned when they have to switch ingredients, and has to cook with something she has never had before and has no directions she can take it because Ashleigh did a horrendous job of picking ingredients.

Honestly, I am even more frustrated about the other girl leaving - she made high quality dishes that looked visually stunning. instead Tom picks fucking grits and okra?

Ashleigh has zero chance of winning. she doesn't have the creativity or the technique to make it. odds are she will be out in the next 2 weeks.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've grown to like LCK as I think it gives legit chefs that were sometimes given a raw deal another shot.  

That’s all it’s there for. LCK is there for Tom to protect those chefs he wants back on the show. I’m not a fine of any play back in elements of these shows.

Just catching up with last week's but wtf with this brisket challenge?  We'll have some badasses that know what they're doing smoke a brisket for you and then whomever's dipshittery screws it up the least wins?

• Like 1

Just catching up with last week's but wtf with this brisket challenge?  We'll have some badasses that know what they're doing smoke a brisket for you and then whomever's dipshittery screws it up the least wins?

You got it. I would have loved more commentary from the assemblage of great pitmasters on some of the abominations they were served by some of these clowns. It should have been one of those challenges where they vote for their favorites.

If you haven’t gotten totally caught up you’re about to see some of these dipshits confused by the concept of toast.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

You got it. I would have loved more commentary from the assemblage of great pitmasters on some of the abominations they were served by some of these clowns. It should have been one of those challenges where they vote for their favorites.

If you haven’t gotten totally caught up you’re about to see some of these dipshits confused by the concept of toast.

isn't someone here friends w/ the Feges? or hell, anyone from that group that was there?

On 3/31/2022 at 8:13 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

First time I’ve watched this show in a really long time… none of these people seem to know what to do with this brisket. It all seems a little blasphemous to me so far. Shoutout to @Patricio Swayze’s spot

He owns J Bar M? Seriously? How did I miss that? Food and the space they have for the restaurant looks badass. Need to make it out there.

2 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

He owns J Bar M? Seriously? How did I miss that? Food and the space they have for the restaurant looks badass. Need to make it out there.

Sorry, I meant it in the way that he’s been gassing up Willow and j Bar M a ton over the past couple months or so. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I am ready to see a quick fire sponsored by Fruity Pebbles and Mountain Dew.

I would have offered a bigger selection of Texas women including Ima Hogg, Bonnie Parker, Farrah Fawcett, and Mary Kay Ash.

I don’t think these chefs had much knowledge of any of these women. Babe Who? Then they basically worked on their narratives instead of their dishes. What I would like to see is these visiting judge former contestants just replace most of these chefs.

This episode was particularly poignant for me, as my mother authored a book about influential Texas women.  Ann Richards and Barbara Jordan were both in it.  I liked this challenge and thought most of the chefs did a pretty decent job.  

Loser was an obvious decision, but immunity for one of them certainly helped.  I think she'll be gone again soon.

Spoiler

My favorite still has to be Da'Marr (sp?).

23 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Only thing I’ll say about this episode is props to the ‘visually-impaired’ chef/judge. Can’t even imagine that shit. 

I thought it was interesting because her other senses are heightened and also the old saying of, “you eat with your eyes first” was irrelevant. 

Didn't she win an early season of MasterChef?

Christine Ha. She won MasterChef in 2013; she was incredible to watch as she got more confident and finally obliterated her competition in the finals. They gave her practically no help.

She later was a permanent judge on MasterChef Vietnam and did other shows.

She and her husband have a couple of restaurants in Houston. The Blind Goat is Vietnamese and was a James beard semi finalist. The Sighted Pig is their Korean place but not sure if it survived. I would seek her food out if I was anywhere close. I think she’s a rockstar. Have any of you eaten there?

It’s why I hate LCK. And evidently they might have multi LCKs this season. Ought to be get out stay out don’t come back! Ashley is a bad cook. She should not have been there.

Also immunity should be less used as a reward. Win a quick fire and a slight advantage and some money from our friends at GladWrap is yours. This show needs less games and more focus on cooking.

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

It’s why I hate LCK. And evidently they might have multi LCKs this season. Ought to be get out stay out don’t come back! Ashley is a bad cook. She should not have been there.

Also immunity should be less used as a reward. Win a quick fire and a slight advantage and some money from our friends at GladWrap is yours. This show needs less games and more focus on cooking.

You might have an argument with LCK, but immunity has been part of the game since the beginning. And it is a game, don’t forget that. 

You might have an argument with LCK, but immunity has been part of the game since the beginning. And it is a game, don’t forget that. 

I know that. However they seem to be turning poker into Dr Pepper. Seems every QF now brings it whereas it used to be used a bit more judiciously. And it’s use late in the season has been the cause of shitty performances sending better ones home.