Top Chef - Houston

TonyTexas

I’m enjoying this season I for the most part. There’s just a handful of really good ones anyway imo every season. Nobody is too polarizing. Like what I we had in season two where the contestants in the end were so disliked by viewers they wouldn’t even do a reunion show. 

On 4/9/2022 at 4:54 AM, Texzilla58 said:

It’s why I hate LCK. And evidently they might have multi LCKs this season. Ought to be get out stay out don’t come back! Ashley is a bad cook. She should not have been there.

Also immunity should be less used as a reward. Win a quick fire and a slight advantage and some money from our friends at GladWrap is yours. This show needs less games and more focus on cooking.

i don't think she is a bad cook, she just doesn't have the creativity to make it far and she doesn't have the skillset (or breadth of knowledge) to cook outside of her comfort area. she zooms in on 1 thing (as evidenced by her LCK thing where they could only use what they had at their station and she only got ingredients for 1 dish and 1 dish only)

i told my wife, she is going to skate by until rest. week, her team is going to win, and some better chef is going to go home.

Ashleigh just isn't a very good competitor

14 hours ago, Deej said:

I know that. I'm just saying if a rule needs to be changed, that one needs to be first. 

The worst example was New Orleans where the eventual winning d-bag, Nicholas, had a  dish bad enough to land his team in the bottom despite his 2 teammates having stellar dishes. Jacques Pepin practically begged him to resign. But he refused and  the judges had no choice but sending Stephanie Cmar home. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

The worst example was New Orleans where the eventual winning d-bag, Nicholas, had a  dish bad enough to land his team in the bottom despite his 2 teammates having stellar dishes. Jacques Pepin practically begged him to resign. But he refused and  the judges had no choice but sending Stephanie Cmar home. 

That was brutal, but he did end up winning.  So in that sense, you could say that immunity served its purpose.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The last competition wasn't a tough one. You either needed to connect with the story, cook an incredible dish or both. Drop a grilled cheese sandwich on a plate and make everyone cry about an inspiring Barbara Jordan story and the judges wouldn't have had the courage to send you home.

And for some reason I was pretty sure Jackson wasn't going to be picked as the winner from among the top 3.

• Like 1

That was brutal, but he did end up winning.  So in that sense, you could say that immunity served its purpose.

This show as well as others have proven that being popular with the fans is more important than actually winning. Nicholas was reviled for his selfishness, and I don’t believe I’ve seen him on anything since. Had he done the magnanimous thing and resigned he would have likely had more involvement down the road. He played the game, but sometimes there’s a bigger game to play.

I wanted to enjoy tonite more than I did. I remember there was a season where Charlize Theron was the guest judge for her crappy film "The Huntsman" or whatever and a lot of the contestants went for it. I mean...with all the gore. I was thinking of a dish I might have done or attempted. Having said that, I like that the ones who are really good are showing right now. I also having watched the show from it's inception do not understand why people on teams are so fucked up that a team member won a QF immunity challenge. Just cook your fucking best fucking dish damnit. Kill it and stop worrying. Gawd. 

Also, Gail/Gayle had out her stuff tonite for y'all so you should be pleased regardless. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

This is so dumb. Ashleyliegh is so horrible but they pick joe to go home. This is WWE at this point. 

And I would cut a bitch to smile at Gayle from across the bar.

And fuck that I can't taste or smell anything cunt. Yes. He can. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, pops said:

This is so dumb. Ashleyliegh is so horrible but they pick joe to go home. This is WWE at this point. 

And I would cut a bitch to smile at Gayle from across the bar.

A) Ashes to ashes. Dust to dust. She will go home. 

B) Gayle is stunning. I can even see that. Padma as pretty as she is doesn't eclipse that. Hence why Gail tonite let it be shown. 

C) I don't think the other contestants are falling for that banana in the tailpipe either. At the end of last week's episode the losing contestant is shown asking him to taste and he basically said she should find someone else to taste that. And in the preview for this week, another contestant is asking him to taste. You can't really prove it though. So its full proof brilliant. Honestly. 

5 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

This season is terrible. Dull soulless cooks. Dull challenges. Judges just seem tired of it.

I would prefer Gail as the star. Of a Skinimax food show.

Top Chef is like sex.  Even when it’s bad, it’s still pretty damn good. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, pops said:

He's full of shit. He's holding that card back for when he's in the bottom and one of the judge's asks "Did you bother to taste it?" Then he'll toss out the "Yes, but I had COVID and haven't fully gotten my sense of taste back." 

Fuck him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He's full of shit. He's holding that card back for when he's in the bottom and one of the judge's asks "Did you bother to taste it?" Then he'll toss out the "Yes, but I had COVID and haven't fully gotten my sense of taste back." 
Fuck him. 

Exactly. I hate his uppity ass and that cunt wad Buddha. That fucker should be sent back to the UK. It’s becoming obvious the judging isn’t impartial at all.

That fucking quail Jo made looked worse than the shit they cook on Naked and Afraid.

Go rewatch some earlier seasons and compare to this. No comparison. They are barely in Houston because they couldn’t extort money from the city. It’s lazy. I haven’t checked to see if there are changes in show runners.

4 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

They are barely in Houston because they couldn’t extort money from the city.

i would be fascinated to know their covid protocols and wonder how that impacted things during recording. not like they can really afford for the talent to come down with the rona and have it rip through them all living close together.

at this point i want another season of all stars, so we get people that are actually good.

people who have any chance at "winning":
Budda
Damarr
Jackson
Nick
Evelyn

really not great:
Ashleigh
Jae
Luke

---

8 weeks into Top Chef Portland here is who was still in it:

• Gabe
  • Shota
  • Dawn
  • Jamie
  • Maria
  • Byron
  • Chris

I think any of that top 4-5 is better than almost anyone on this season.

Shota or Gabe would have had to get the Paul Qui edit where they sandbag all season because he is so much better than everyone else.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I want either Evelyn or Nick to win. I don’t think either will. This panel this season appears to be enamoured with high falutin concept cooking by cooks who don’t get the concepts of toast, barbecue, or queso.

I think MasterChef is better these days, including the kids version. The Top Chef spin-offs are the suck.

54 minutes ago, Deej said:

They need a crossover episode with Below Deck. Contestants have to produce a 5 course meal in the galley with no help, while Gail and Padma lounge on deck in their bathing suits. 

I've been waiting for this: having the loser walk the plank and jump into the sea while the other cheftestants watch. Then have that loser picked up by some drunk on a jet ski and taken to loser island with all the other losers. Last Chance Island. Only two can rejoin the competition...but all losers including the runner up go back to the island. Then we can watch a variation of nekkid and afraid as they attempt to build shelter and possible raft to escape. Tom can helicopter in and check on their status and make them cook whatever can be found on Last Chance Island so they can get essentials like toothpaste and soap. Just leave them there for a few months. That should change the roster for the next show big time. 

• Drool 1

8 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Exactly. I hate his uppity ass and that cunt wad Buddha. That fucker should be sent back to the UK. It’s becoming obvious the judging isn’t impartial at all.

That fucking quail Jo made looked worse than the shit they cook on Naked and Afraid.

Go rewatch some earlier seasons and compare to this. No comparison. They are barely in Houston because they couldn’t extort money from the city. It’s lazy. I haven’t checked to see if there are changes in show runners.

8 hours ago, Deej said:

Yep. This show has turned to trash. It's a shell of it's former self. They need to retool it or cancel it. 

And yet y’all continue to watch and post here. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 10:12 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Restaurant Wars does its job. Hooray.

Jackson telling Tom he tasted Luke’s dish and saying he thought it was overseasoned, and telling clients and finally his team he has no taste, just exposed his fucking big lie. Fucktard.

his wife was on reddit and said that was an edit, all 3 other chefs in the kitchen tasted it and gave the same feedback

why would jackson intentionally sabotage his team that way? what's more likely - the guy who can't figure out seasoning 8 episodes in messed up seasonsing yet again or that he asked the 1 guy who doesn't have taste to taste it, and he just flat out lies to his face?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/22/2022 at 2:01 AM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

This shit from last season certainly still plays. 

they didnt get demolished.  tom said this may have been the best team to ever lose restaurant wars.  it was the concept that killed them, food was good.  also its a top chef tradition to introduce your dish every single time you hand it to the judge, even on quick fires.   thought it was strange that they would just drop the food off and walk away.  that was all on jackson.  he should have been there.

7 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

also its a top chef tradition to introduce your dish every single time you hand it to the judge, even on quick fires. 

That’s also done at every fine dining restaurant with a progressive or tasting menu. When you get your food dropped off at the table, the server explains what you’ve got in front of you. Jackson fucked up with an ok dessert and bad service. Desserts go home a lot on this show, so you have to go big if you take that on in restaurant wars

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

they didnt get demolished.  tom said this may have been the best team to ever lose restaurant wars.  it was the concept that killed them, food was good.  also its a top chef tradition to introduce your dish every single time you hand it to the judge, even on quick fires.   thought it was strange that they would just drop the food off and walk away.  that was all on jackson.  he should have been there.

Yep.  It was quite clear that Jackson completely lost that for them.  The food was close, though I think the other team still would have won.  But come on man.  This is almost season 20 and you damn well know he's seen every single restaurant wars from seasons past.  How the fuck do you not explain the dishes to the judges as FOH?

Wife, neighbor and I went to a pop-up put on by Evelyn and Jo at Tenfold Coffee in the Heights this past Sunday afternoon. Khoi BBQ was also there and their brisket was incorporated into one of Evelyn and Jo's dishes. Everything was really well executed, especially considering they were serving from an EZ up tent and using paper boats for serving the food. Evelyn needs her own brick and mortar in Houston stat. She is very talented.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yep.  It was quite clear that Jackson completely lost that for them.  The food was close, though I think the other team still would have won.  But come on man.  This is almost season 20 and you damn well know he's seen every single restaurant wars from seasons past.  How the fuck do you not explain the dishes to the judges as FOH?

Jackson said at the start he mostly food front of house these days and that he was a whiz at customer service. I don’t think he’s ever had any proper training if that’s his perspective. He ignored his VIPs while yucking it up with other guests and then explained as “wanting to treat all guests with an equal level of service”. That is code for treating everyone like shit. His refusal to describe dishes, and only reluctantly doing so when prodded by his guests, is the height of arrogance that I hate in restaurants. I’ve eaten at French Laundry, Le Bernadin, Le Cirque, Fleur de Lys, and a ton of other high end joints. The service in all of them is impeccable, comfortable, welcoming. Saw none of that with lyin Jackson. No taste was a ruse to use as an excuse.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Was there one second of watching the episode where the winning team was even remotely in doubt? Negative. 

This crew of judges seems like they can’t wait to get out of town. I think they are getting tired of the show yet the money and exposure is good.

I’d like to see the show move to some different folks like Richard Blais, Waxman, or similar for Coliccio, get someone else hot for Padma, and make Gail the empress for life.

14 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I’d like to see the show move to some different folks like Richard Blais, Waxman, or similar for Coliccio, get someone else hot for Padma

You can find those shows all over Food Network and Hulu. TC is what it is, a lumbering dinosaur from a past age.