Survivor 41

Message Board User

My wife ruined Survivor for me.. she constantly points out how Probst wont shut up during the competitions and steers the vote. It's all I see/hear now.

I don’t think he steers the vote but how they cut an hour plus of tribal council down to the 6-7 minutes they show can certainly be revealing.

On 10/8/2021 at 11:31 PM, Vito Andolini said:

Now that one of the three combo-idol discoverers is out, does that take that idol out of play? It’s so confusing, I don’t know the rules anymore, sometimes I just feel like a goat on astroturf.

Who knows? They may be able to pass it on to a specific player or it just goes back under a rock in the jungle. Show has done both before. The triple secret password seems like an interesting idea, but if it just ends up one or two people saying random weirdness at a couple of challenges until it's no longer usable, it'll go down as a colossal fail.

They are really going with the whole, “edit it to look one way, but it actually plays out an entirely different way” technique this season. I know Shan mentioned blindsiding J.D., but seeing Genie as part of the three, holding hands and practically singing kumbaya after the vote was somewhat of a surprise. So Shan gets J.D.’s extra vote? Good for her, but why does Premature Gray Freddie Mercury, Jr. go along with it? 

And the law student, though not nearly as hot as she thinks she is, is still nice to look at as she lounges seductively (moar bra shots, please) and a nice throw back to the old days of an unapologetically sexual Parvati-type, or to go really old school, that bartender chick from S2, you know, wore the big hat. 

Congrats Xander!  After losing your vote for multiple tribals and being forced to publicly repeat the dumbest phrase known to man three times, you finally earned your advantage!  Your hard work and determination paid off!

Oh also, small note here, but one of your teammates is now allowed to steal an advantage... and she almost assuredly will take it from you since you were pretty much forced to announce to everyone that you have it.  LOL OOPS SUCKS TO SUCK

He's getting screwed so hard this season.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Yep.  There are a bunch of (dis)advantages this season that aren't so great.  Too many gimmicks.  

Shan sure seems to be getting a winning edit.  Of course when your tribe goes to tribal council every episode, and you have any personality at all, you are going to get a lot of camera time.  I don't think I can name half the blue tribe yet.  

2 hours ago, speed817 said:

This is getting ridiculous now. With Erika's advantage, which she will definitely use, we are punishing the winning team who just won a pretty tough challenge. At least they were fed at least.

I'm wondering if she wont use it.   she has no idea her name is being thrown around for the next tribal.  she also doesnt seem like a baller so might play it safe instead of ruffling feathers.  will be interesting.

5 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

I'm wondering if she wont use it.   she has no idea her name is being thrown around for the next tribal.  she also doesnt seem like a baller so might play it safe instead of ruffling feathers.  will be interesting.

Maybe.....but why would you put yourself at risk of being voted off?  Whether she plays if or not, 5 or 6 people are going to be pissed at her.  I would rather protect myself to make it to the next day and then smooth things over from there.

On 10/7/2021 at 1:39 PM, idigTexas said:

I'm still waiting to find someone likeable.    

I've given up, there's not a single one that I'm rooting for to win. But there's quite a few that I will enjoy seeing voted off. Starting with the Smug Squad. Really enjoyed Xander making Liana look the fool. Eleven players still and you're walking around like you run the game? Yeah, that never goes wrong.

44 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

I hate the dynamic tribal counsels. 

I wonder if this is a new thing or if they've always been like that and we just never saw it in the edit.

14 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, they have just about ruined the game when combined with all the new advantages.

It's the curse of the middle management pencil pusher. They have to come up with something new all the time to justify their existence. There was zero reason for New Coke, but Sergio Zyman had to prove his marketing genius because he wasn't satisfied with just being a part of a longstanding success.

Also a sign they don't trust the natural dynamics of the standard game. The result is a constant mishmash of idols/advantages/exiles that becomes harder and harder to follow.  I couldn't even tell you who has what idol right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

Shan seemed really promising for a while but what a shitshow her last two weeks have been, between freaking out at Ricard over her extra vote, spilling the beans about Liana’s advantage to Tiffany thereby rendering it useless, and then for some reason telling Tiffany at tribal to vote for Sydney so Xander’s idol didn’t get flushed.

The "steal an idol" question had to result in a yes or no. Xander couldn't lie about it. He told Liana that he didn't have an idol, and then he offered her the fake one as a FU. 

Now if someone had lied about it, my assumption is that a producer would have step in, repeat the rules, and then have them refilm the scene.

Xander definitely made a strong move with the switch but his side didn't full think through the rest of tribal council. Perhaps they thought that Naseer was on their side and were unaware of Deshawn's double vote. 

It's not a good position to be aligned with Xander right now. The other side will want to flush out that idol with the realization it means you can't get rid of Xander within 1 week. Being an ally of Xander means you're in the split vote next week.

(I don't watch the previews for next week, so I wouldn't know if the narrative was shown to be something else.)

I'm ok with changing rules or new twists but I've never liked the whispering in sub-groups at tribal council.  Maybe a sideways glance or mouthing someone's name is ok but the whole running around is ridiculous. You should be required to remain in your seat.  It's bad TV to watch people run around and we can't hear them. If that is the case, let them go further to the side and film the conversation for our viewing.

On 11/4/2021 at 6:47 PM, idigTexas said:

What a total shitshow.  And what the fuck game is Heather playing?  Does she even know she is on Survivor?  She'll likely make final tribal all the while thinking she's starring in a Gilligan's Island remake.     

Sydney not a fan.  

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/survivor-season-41-cast-member-sydney-segal-calls-heather-aldret-52-year-old-child-not-friends.html/

I do love a petty sore loser mean girl calling another contestant a child. Chef's kiss.

Heather may be a waterhead, but that's not necessarily a bad thing in this game. You likely won't win, but decent chance you get taken along for the ride to the finals and up your eventual payday.

Look who finally decided to play.  She almost won an immunity challenge and stirred up some shit at tribal that almost got her sent home, but welcome to the game.  She's still a clueless dingbat, but at least viewers may now know who she is.

If Heather had half a clue, once she heard her name being tossed around, she should have talked to Evvie, Xander, Tiff, and Erika and targeted Shan.  Going after Naseer, and trying to convince his own alliance to roll with it made zero sense.  

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Colonel Sanders said:

Shantel is now my least favorite.  I like a good villain, but she is completely worthless.  After losing the reward challenge she sits around and mopes, and then gets pissy because Ricard eats a tiny piece of papaya that Naseer provided.  She'll probably win though becasue it's been that kind of year.

Agree but Ricard was an idiot for going after food after he having a full meal. The 15 extra calories was worth pissing some people off? I would see the unwritten rules are that you don't go back to camp bragging about the meal and you don't screw with the hungry people.

So do we have a Cookout thing brewing here?  They kicked it around a few weeks ago and it seems like they are looking out for each other some, but I can't tell if it's a full blown alliance.  If it is, and they have the same level of success as the Cookout did, will targeting the black players first become a valid strategy?  Kind of hope they do it just to see what the fallout will be in the future.  

Favorite player is the dude who played at LSU. Just seems like a good dude and I don't even know his name. Xander seems ok too, but man his hair always hanging out the front of the buff is irritating.

Agree with all the advantages and idols. It's completely over the top. Can't keep track of who has what and how it works. I also don't like having powers out that nullify an idol. I think having the security of the idol leads to bolder gameplay. Imagine if people start thinking they are worthless because other people will be able to cancel them out. I'd prefer to go back to having one idol in each camp and that's it. 

For some reason I think my favorite part of this game is seeing people enjoy rewards. Really miss Survivor auction. 

30 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Agree but Ricard was an idiot for going after food after he having a full meal. The 15 extra calories was worth pissing some people off? I would see the unwritten rules are that you don't go back to camp bragging about the meal and you don't screw with the hungry people.

I don't think he did it for the calories.  I think he sincerely wanted to taste the papaya.  In hindsight, he probably should have said "I know I just had some reward food, so it's cool if you say 'no,' but would it be okay if I tasted the papaya," but it didn't occur to him that anyone would get upset over a small bite.

We don't see everything but Xander has played it extremely well in terms of his advantages. Outside of the fact that he couldn't figure out that he was sitting on one at the challenge. It was also very mature to recognize that hanging out with the losers presented opportunities.  Xander and Naseem are the current MVPs but that doesn't guarantee anything.