Squid Game - Netflix

Droopy

Anybody watching this? It’s pretty damn good. Violent Korean drama. 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. 

Hundreds of cash-strapped contestants accept an invitation to compete in children's games for a tempting prize, but the stakes are deadly.

I’m 7 eps in and started it yesterday. 

Edited by Droopy

48 minutes ago, wutang75 said:

Finished it as well and loved it. Agree it’s really rough, one episode in particular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Which episode? They were all fairly rough for me. I honestly can't choose which was the roughest as they were all gut wrenching.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Is it kind of a Battle Royale or a Series 7: The Contenders type of thing?

Series 7 was way head of its time, and would have been a long-running series on HBO or AMC or Netflix if it came out these days.

41vfLmj5C6L.jpg

Never heard of or saw this before but I’ll check it out. Closest thing it reminds me of is Saw. 

Finished it last night. Good stuff. 

Spoiler

I thought the marbles episode was the hardest one to watch. 

That said, for all of the "purity/fairness of the contest" talk, and the fact that there we huge sums of money wagered on it, it seems unreasonable to me (yes, I get the absurdity of such a statement - maybe "internally inconsistent" is better) than 001/The Host would essentially throw the game by giving 456 a free pass in that round. Sure, 456 was kind to him, but that seems a little out of character for someone who has killed (or at least facilitated the deaths of) 10,000ish people over a few decades. 

Am I missing something here, or just picking nits? 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

I watched the trailer and was intrigued.  First episode was rough for me because the protagonist is such an unsympathetic chump.  Almost couldn't last to the end of the episode where it finally got interesting.  Subsequent episodes did not disappoint though.  Twisted stuff.  The VIPs in later episodes were a bit too over the top cartoonish for me, but they were fairly inconsequential to the real drama/conflict in the story so it's a minor nit to pick.

• Hook 'Em 1

Peaked with the marble episode and went downhill after that.  Disappointing ending, but overall worth the watch. 

Spoiler

The detective's brother being a boss didn't make much sense.  The early episodes were saying he recently went missing, and he found the card in the tidy apartment, but they reveal he was a previous winner and now a host.  Why would he still be missing, and that would make him missing for years, so how did they find evidence in his apartment?

Edited by Gene Parmesan

Gene:

Spoiler

We were also confused by that same apparent disconnect. The only way I can see how that might make sense is that if he was a previous winner who took the gig as a part time job out of boredom, then maybe he left to go run this session without making up an excuse for why he'll be out of pocket for a while. 

That's a lot to expect the viewer to conclude, so I think it's probably just an inconsistency in the script. No idea if this is the case, but maybe it was one of those last minute script changes that happen after the earlier episodes were shot or aired? 

As I touched on above, I was also confused about why The Host couldn't meet with the other VIPs when they arrived. The only explanation I can think of is to prevent the possibility of them recognizing him as 001.

Spoiler

Due to a healthy fear of heights, the glass bridge was the hardest episode for me to watch. Sweaty palms and feet throughout that one.

Early on, I suspected the old man had some role in the game and thought that maybe the host was his son, playing out some revenge for how his now-senile dad had treated him as a kid or something. When the host abruptly ended the midnight brawl upon seeing the old man freak out at the top of the bed tower, I felt like that suspicion was confirmed.

They took it in a different, confusing direction though with the brother twist.

Great show. Not sure why this is catching on so well with American audiences but it's a good introduction to Korean shows. My only nitpick with the show is the VIP actors. The show has some of the biggest A-list Korean actors but the VIPs were distractingly bad. It can't be that hard to find a few decent white actors in Korea at this point instead of using some English teachers. They should have just made the characters wealthy Koreans.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, AngryDragon said:

Great show. Not sure why this is catching on so well with American audiences but it's a good introduction to Korean shows. My only nitpick with the show is the VIP actors. The show has some of the biggest A-list Korean actors but the VIPs were distractingly bad. It can't be that hard to find a few decent white actors in Korea at this point instead of using some English teachers. They should have just made the characters wealthy Koreans.

Actors themselves or the English voice actors? They really didn’t have much of a physical or critical importance to the plot b

Yes the VIPs line deliveries were very stale like they were amateur actors. Was a bit distracting.

Also just curious, do most of y’all watch in Korean with subtitles or go with the dubbed in English version? My feeling is with subtitles is way better since then you get the whole performance from the main actors but I know some people don’t like reading subtitles.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/30/2021 at 10:15 AM, Helobious said:

I did Korean with subtitles. I feel like all dubbed shows suck. 

Same. I toggled back n forth with English dub but it was bad.  And it actually made the annoying lady player even worse to listen to.  I watched 75% in Korean, you get a much better feel of the acting and their expressions while talking. 

Finished it last night after not even knowing what the show was 4 days ago lol. Friend told me to watch.  

Really enjoyed it and you binge it bc you mainly want to know How / Why / Who about the game.

The idea of survival game isn’t super new, but it was well done and they added some substance to it with some good characters.