Squid Game - Netflix

Droopy

26 minutes ago, futureman said:

for any of you superfans in austin there is a squid game pop-up store at burnet and 2222, catty-corner to the heb. it’s next to the thom’s market (old 7-11). no idea what they have in there but probably costumes and shirts and shit. 

Um, I mean, OK sure some of my NFL bets didn't hit this week, especially the one that was an easy lock and how the fuck did they not cover and, listen, I'll be fine when I get paid on Thursday, but anyway, yeah, I don't think I should go there right now.

• Haha 2

Just finished this. Agree with what many here have said. It was entertaining in parts but way overhyped for the quality of the show.

I watched the English dubbed version. Perhaps I should’ve watched the subtitled version because the dubbed voices were terrible and that distracted me throughout the show. I didn’t realize there were 2 versions until I was a few episodes in and then I didn’t care enough to switch.

The characters were across the board terrible.

The main guy was a lifetime deadbeat with no job, a gambling addiction, a bad father, a bad son, and he brought no respectable skills to the Squid Game. I didn’t find him sympathetic in any way, which made it hard to care if he lived or died, which meant I was apathetic to the outcome of the show. They could’ve at least given him a backstory that showed him to be some kind of a secret badass that just got some bad breaks in life to hit rock bottom, but no, he just sucked as a person.

Most of the other characters were one dimensional cliches, especially the meathead bad guy and the annoying girl that chased him around. Are those types of characters common in Korean film/television? Maybe something is getting lost in translation for me there.

The plot was pretty predictable each step of the way. The final game was basically just a knife fight which was completely lame to end on, especially when Squid Game is the namesake of the show and it doesn’t even get played. The twists with the cop’s brother and the old man weren’t very surprising, or rather they just didn’t pack much of a punch because it was hard to care about any individual character. Lots of plot inconsistencies and agree that the doctor organ harvesting made no sense within the context of the show.

Also, if clause 3 allowed a majority of players to vote to call off the games at any given time, then why didn’t anyone ever try to invoke that in the middle of the series? You would think during the marble episode the husband/wife or the 2 Korean girls or the main guy would all be lobbying the group for that way out. Or during the glass bridge episode players 1-13 would all realize their odds of survival were impossibly low and vote for the game to end. Stupid to ignore that rule and then use it again in the final episode.

I don’t necessarily regret watching, but can’t say I loved it and I probably wouldn’t recommend it to anyone else.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...