The 2021 OU game time prediction thread? What time will the kick be?

horn4life

Seeing two "lovely" 11 a.m. games the next two weeks I am wondering what time you think we will kick versus OU SUCKS!

With my house destroyed by flooding (toilet supply line) I just don't have time to do the analysis, so can you guys help me out here?  This is also a public service for folks who have the rugrats in sports dreading the potential scheduling conflict with their 8 year olds "big game."

Thanks in Advance - I did search for this topic but didn't find anything.

11 am unless we lose to Tech. If it's not announced on Monday then we're in the 6 day window and ABC wants to see if we're going to lose to TCU. 2:30 means one of our next two games went very poorly. 

IT'S A SCHEDULE FOR HUMAN BEINGS!

Now commence the complaining about the early kick, Hagbard saying we need to tell the networks to f off even though 11am kicks are the marquee national game and have been for a decade, and someone saying they wish the network would at least do it as a night game just once even though the city of Dallas and Dallas PD do not want that.

It's called "the way it is". 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Seeing two "lovely" 11 a.m. games the next two weeks I am wondering what time you think we will kick versus OU SUCKS!

With my house destroyed by flooding (toilet supply line) I just don't have time to do the analysis, so can you guys help me out here?  This is also a public service for folks who have the rugrats in sports dreading the potential scheduling conflict with their 8 year olds "big game."

Thanks in Advance - I did search for this topic but didn't find anything.

11 AM.

If it's anything other than 11 AM, it means we lost to Tech and/or TCU.

So you want 11 AM.

Interesting on the ESPN stuff. Fox didn't opt to grab Texas OU in the preseason when they could've picked it. So I believe it is the property of ABC/ESPN this year. The Fox selections for that day that are still TBA are Penn State @ Iowa and Utah @ USC. Since playoff baseball should be happening, that means Penn State-Iowa at 11am and Utah-USC at 3pm. Alabama at aggy will be the CBS 2:30 game. ABC hasn't revealed their 11am game and the only other candidate is Michigan at Nebraska but Nebraska isn't worthy of a national spot. Normally the 11am ESPN game is an ACC or SEC game. Looking on LSUfootball.net where the TV times are usually posted, Maryland @ Ohio State is 11am TBD as is Michigan State @ Rutgers. Neither of those are national TV worthy.  I bet the latter is a Big 10 Network game and Ohio State goes to ESPN2. 

Edited by mdmost

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The bigger question is why is the 11:00 game the national game? Why wouldn't they do regional at 11 and then go national at 2:30? CBS has always had the 2:30 slot for the sec game. I'm sure there's an economic/ratings reason, but it's never made sense to me. 

Because the SEC dominates the time slot and has for a while. It's the reason Fox moved their big games to 11am. When CBS loses the 2:30 spot in 2024, I bet you'll see a shift in that time slot to being the national time slot again. Going up against the SEC rarely wins out unless it's Notre Dame or Ohio State. If we didn't suck, it would be interesting to see if we could beat the average CBS SEC game. 

Edited by mdmost

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Because the SEC dominates the time slot and has for a while. It's the reason Fox moved their big games to 11am. When CBS loses the 2:30 spot in 2024, I bet you'll see a shift in that time slot to being the national time slot again. 

It's definitely in response to the CBS game now, but ABC actually USED to have the slots reversed.  11 AM was regional, and 2:30 was national.  But they reversed that right around 2003, and that's when 11 AM became ABC's national game.  So it goes way back, even before the CBS/SEC 2:30 dominance began.

To @Mitch Cumsteen 's point, WHY did 11 AM become the national game?  I don't know.  Back in the early 2000s, ABC said their market research showed them they had a better chance at capturing the national audience, with the earlier timeslot.

There's also the question we've been sort of debating on the UT-Tech thread, which is-- IS there actually a national and a regional timeslot anymore?

If you look at the listings, there aren't any OTHER games listed on ABC at either 11, OR at 2:30.  In the olden days, when they used to split them regionally, they'd show multiple games with the same start time, on the same network.  So there would be 2 or 3 games listed as an "ABC" game at 2:30.  And they used to have a coverage map that showed you which of those 2 or 3 games would be broadcast on ABC in your region of the country.  I haven't seen one of those coverage maps in many years now.

Now, there's only one game listed for ABC at any given time.  And then there are also other games starting at the same time on ESPN, and ESPN2.  

Which has me thinking that the idea of the "national" game versus the "regional" game might be antiquated at this point.  Instead of splitting games regionally on ABC, do they just use ESPN and ESPN2 as backups, and sometimes substitute what's listed as an ABC game, with an ESPN game, for a particular region? 

35 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Interesting on the ESPN stuff. Fox didn't opt to grab Texas OU in the preseason when they could've picked it. So I believe it is the property of ABC/ESPN this year. The Fox selections for that day that are still TBA are Penn State @ Iowa and Utah @ USC. Since playoff baseball should be happening, that means Penn State-Iowa at 11am and Utah-USC at 3pm. Alabama at aggy will be the CBS 2:30 game. ABC hasn't revealed their 11am game and the only other candidate is Michigan at Nebraska but Nebraska isn't worthy of a national spot. Normally the 11am ESPN game is an ACC or SEC game. Looking on LSUfootball.net where the TV times are usually posted, Maryland @ Ohio State is 11am TBD as is Michigan State @ Rutgers. Neither of those are national TV worthy.  I bet the latter is a Big 10 Network game and Ohio State goes to ESPN2. 

Yeah I think 11am on ABC for this reason. 

There's also Georgia-Auburn and Arky-Ole Miss. 

Well, I guess now I have to hope for 11 am...  "like Larry Wildman going off a cliff in my new Maserati."

I guess the best thing about a third eleven o'clock game, is that the third game prep for 11 am is a shit ton easier than the 1st game day prep for 11 am.

We have been going to Port A for years on OU weekend, and an 11 am kick is fine for me coming off the beach fishing in the AM.  Normally I hate the 11 am kicks, but in Port A the time is perfect.  Now it will be raining like a mofo...