English Domestic Cups (FA and EFL)

Captain Ron

Because both the EFL and FA Cup threads are pretty sparse, I say we combine them for this season.

EFL Cup
We just completed the 3rd round of the EFL Cup, where any European competing teams enter the tournament and everyone is involved. This round saw the field whittle down to 16 teams with the final 8 matchups drawn as so:

• Chelsea v Southampton
  • Arsenal v Leeds
  • QPR v Sunderland
  • Stoke v Brentford
  • West Ham v Man City
  • Leicester v Brighton
  • Burnley v Spurs
  • Preston North End v Liverpool

These games will be played the 26 and 27 of October

FA Cup
We are still a ways off from the tournament "officially" starting. The qualifying rounds are still going on to get down to the 32 teams that make the first round. This is 2 preliminary rounds + 4 qualifying rounds. The 2nd qualifying round was just completed (18 Sept) to get down to 82 teams. The 3rd round (2 Oct) will get that down to 41 teams before 22 more teams join to get that to the final 32 (16 Oct). The First round of the FA Cup is 6 November (when Leagues 1 and 2 join).

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2021 at 2:25 PM, LonghornSean said:

Still alive!

Took Sunderland to PKs yesterday, but lost.

City just fell to West Ham in PKs 5-3. Other 4th round participants:

Yesterday:
Chelsea 0(4)-0(3) Southampton
Arsenal 2-0 Leeds
QPR 0(1)-0(3) Sunderland

Today:
Stoke 1-2 Brentford
West Ham 0(5)-0(3) Man City
Preston 0-2 Liverpool
Burnley 0-1 Tottenham
Leicester City 2-2 Brighton - heading to PKs.

The FA Cup finished all qualifying rounds last week and will start up the First round proper November 5. One key name that made it through - Wrexham (of Ted Lasso "Fame").

The first round features 32 teams that made it out of qualifying + the 48 teams of League One and League Two. Rounds 1 (Nov 5-7) and 2 (Dec 4+) will take these 80 teams down to 20. Then the EPL and Championship teams will join for round 3 and beyond.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2021 at 10:08 PM, LonghornSean said:

We got robbed. This goal by Charlie Austin in around the 80th minute was disallowed for offside. Wasn't able to watch the second half, and we were apparently abysmal in penalties but that call is total BS.

They can't fix that (deep into the EFL Cup), but they can correct this?!?!

The FA is weird.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Semis of the EFL cup are almost set.

Spurs beat West Ham 2-1
Chelsea beat Brentford 0-2
Liverpool beat Leicester 3-3 5-4 in penalties. This one was big because Leicester was up 3-1. Liverpool tied it in stoppage time.
Arsenal beat Sunderland 5-1

So next is the draw...

Edited by Captain Ron

Just now, mdmost said:

We'll be without Salah and Mane who are off to AFCON around then. 

that is true. we lose Partey, Pepé, and El Neny, which obviously isn't as big of a loss, but i hate having to break up our regular starting midfield. so i guess we'll just lose something like 2-0 or 2-1 instead of 4-0 or 4-1.

Weird how the schedule now Shakes out for Spurs & Chelsea because of this draw. 3 games head to head in 20 days, 3 games of 5 for each team.

image.thumb.png.f4b0fecd843cca3631f1689c1ac29dce.png

If they both advance and drew head to head for the 4th round of the FA Cup it could be 4 of 6 games (the early Feb FA date is the first game back after the international break in late Jan).

18 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

damn it. i wanted anyone but Liverpool.

Yup.

18 hours ago, mdmost said:

We'll be without Salah and Mane who are off to AFCON around then. 

True, but Klopp has Arsenal's number. I will be shocked if Arsenal advance; hell I'd be surprised if we can keep it within a goal.

18 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

that is true. we lose Partey, Pepé, and El Neny, which obviously isn't as big of a loss, but i hate having to break up our regular starting midfield. so i guess we'll just lose something like 2-0 or 2-1 instead of 4-0 or 4-1.

After the capitulation and buttfucking we took at Anfield, I'd almost consider 2-1 loss progress. 

Also, not sure their opinions will change anything because $$$ and all, but both Klopp and Conte want to cut the semis to a single fixture. Seems a most sensible idea, given that the list of postponed PL fixtures grows by the day and both Liverpool and Chelsea will have FA Cup and CL fixtures to contend with as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/dec/23/carabao-cup-semi-finals-tottenham-antonio-conte-liverpool-jurgen-klopp

Edited by Dutch

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Wait wait wait... the semis are 2 legs?

blink-182 wtf GIF

Who came up with this shit?

The organizers of the competition.  It's been a two-legged semi-final since the inception of the cup in 1960 up until last season going to one tie due to covid.  It's reverting back this season.

On 12/22/2021 at 5:23 PM, shadow_operative said:

oh yeah, we'll also be without Auba, although we don't exactly know if he still plays for Arsenal or not...

• 2 weeks later...

Liverpool getting hit with COVID asking for a postponement. 

Tottenham is currently worried about potential positives, from The Athletic:

Speaking to the media ahead of the Chelsea match, Conte said: “We are checking a couple of situations about COVID concerning players and we’ll see.

“We are not sure 100 per cent whether they are going to miss the game.

“We have to check and also during the day if there are new positives or not. We are checking a couple of situations and then tomorrow will see the players that are available to play the game against Chelsea.”

Conte gave no indication that Tottenham would appeal for the match to be postponed, however.

30 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

2477BF5E-5437-4D41-A2C7-0B33F6EBE9FC.thumb.jpeg.c0f1b043e9828a55b721bd6018da0fd1.jpeg

honest question(s)-

1)is there anything in the rules that calls for a postponement and not a forfeit?

2)why can't Liverpool just play their reserves/younger players? 

3)why tf are we still doing home and away legs for these semifinals? just have them at Wembley or pick a home team during the draw.

2. The entire training facility just shut down. Supposedly, we don't have any goalies that aren't positive. Both our manager and assistant are positive. At this point, I think the only people who probably aren't positive are Mane, Salah, and Keita since they already left for AFCON.

3. Agreed. 

1st leg is now 1/13 at Anfield. 2nd leg now at the Emirates on 1/20.