English Domestic Cups (FA and EFL)

Captain Ron

8 hours ago, yoladu said:

uh huh..

Jurgen Klopp says a Covid outbreak that led to the postponement of Liverpool's Carabao Cup semi-final first leg at Arsenal had "a lot of false positives".

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59931656

Trent Alexander-Arnold is the only player that actually test positive.

They had to close Melwood because of the outbreak among players and staff.

9 hours ago, mdmost said:

I'm confused by what you think Klopp was doing there? Do you think Liverpool was trying to duck Arsenal, a team they already dropped 4 goals on earlier? 

bro you know you guys were ducking us, don't even deny it. the mere threat of facing Charlie Patino for a full 90 had your entire organization running scared. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

@RamjetFDO that looked like an absolute screw job on the VAR goal. What exactly was the call?

Two of 'em, actually.

The first was going back and calling a blocking foul on what was clearly a charge (bb terms, obvi) completely away from the ball and at least three touches before the goal was scored.  It's like going back and calling a phantom holding call on the play *before* the touchdown pass (fb terms, obvi).  Total screw job.

The second was (correctly) calling an offside on the player who ended up setting up the goal.  If ARs would just call offside when it happens, it wouldn't be this stupid shit.  I HATE the guidance that ARs have to "let the play develop" before going back 30 seconds and waving their little flag in the air like they just don't care.  I have no argument about the VAR here, it was correct.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RamjetFDO said:

Two of 'em, actually.

The first was going back and calling a blocking foul on what was clearly a charge (bb terms, obvi) completely away from the ball and at least three touches before the goal was scored.  It's like going back and calling a phantom holding call on the play *before* the touchdown pass (fb terms, obvi).  Total screw job.

The second was (correctly) calling an offside on the player who ended up setting up the goal.  If ARs would just call offside when it happens, it wouldn't be this stupid shit.  I HATE the guidance that ARs have to "let the play develop" before going back 30 seconds and waving their little flag in the air like they just don't care.  I have no argument about the VAR here, it was correct.

The linesman instructions to not flag offside are insane. It leads to unnecessary dangerous play. If they aren’t gonna flag then let’s just have them not exist and only use the var 

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

The linesman instructions to not flag offside are insane. It leads to unnecessary dangerous play. If they aren’t gonna flag then let’s just have them not exist and only use the var 

In this case, the ManU defender actually did slide into the goalpost trying to stop the second goal (ultimately called for offside and upheld by VAR) - fortunately for him, hitting his thigh and not square in the junk... 

22 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Maybe the Spurs could do something if their players actually stayed on their feet instead of flopping around every time a Chelsea player breaths on them.  

This wasn't much about that. Chelsea bossed both games with ease. Their midfield controlled both games and their defense really choked out Spurs attacks. They were clearly the better squad in both matches.

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

This wasn't much about that. Chelsea bossed both games with ease. Their midfield controlled both games and their defense really choked out Spurs attacks. They were clearly the better squad in both matches.

Oh, sure.  There's no way they were going to win.  But they didn't have to be little bitches and fall down all over the place.  

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

@shadow_operative I remember before he made his move wanting LFC to go get him. I don’t understand how he can pickup as many cards as he does.

he potentially just cost us the NLD. the team tends to play a lot better when he's in the side, he understands his role very well. HOWEVER- holy shit does he get booked/sent off more than anyone i've ever seen. it's unreal. his name is synonymous with the red card. 

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

he potentially just cost us the NLD. the team tends to play a lot better when he's in the side, he understands his role very well. HOWEVER- holy shit does he get booked/sent off more than anyone i've ever seen. it's unreal. his name is synonymous with the red card. 

Literally. (WTF do they mean orders?)

Not like they are underserved.

• 3 weeks later...

Declan Rice ties it in stoppage time.  Poor Kidminster.  

Chelsea and Plymouth Argyle also appear to be headed for extra time.

edit - Damn Kidderminster is in the 6th tier, National League North.

Edited by WBT

Crazy, West Ham scores in stoppage time of ET.  Am I crazy to think the flag could have gone up there?  The guy in offside position didn't move toward the ball but the cross went really close to him and he almost made contact with the keeper's feet.

Chelsea also scored in ET to advance.

Edited by WBT

2 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Damn, would have been awesome to have Kidderminster win. I’ve been a fan for a whole 45 minutes when I had to look them up to see who the hell they are.

Bloody plastic. Been backing the Harriers since I was a wee lad.

FA Cup draw for the next round was held before today’s games. Games to be played the week of  February 28

Luton Town vs. Chelsea

Crystal Palace vs. Stoke City

Peterborough United vs. Manchester City

Liverpool or Cardiff City vs. Norwich City

Southampton vs. West Ham United

Middlesbrough vs. Tottenham Hotspur

Nottingham Forest or Leicester City vs. Huddersfield

Everton vs. Bournemouth or Boreham Wood