non-Texas BBQ

phdhorn

I don't much like it.

Don't see a thread on "other" , so what the fuck.

My history has been that most of the stuff outside of Texas (KC, Memphis, Carolinas, etc.) is bland meat which needs spice/flavor help.  It's like they get some meat, coat it with sumpin' (dry rub or some type of sauce) and the two don't seem to mesh together.  The possible exception are a few ribs I've eaten and some pulled pork (although most is so-so).  Not to say there aren't many gems located beyond the Red/Sabine Rivers that aren't dee-lish, but in general, it's not my deal.  It either tastes too bland or too "made up" (I mean not quite McRib level, but getting there).

The latest chapter was coming home from my mom's funeral this past week, wife and I stopped/stayed overnight in Memphis.  Pulled into the city about 8 p.m. after a 12 hour drive to end our first day, decided that due to proximity to hotel and the buzz, we'd stop at Corky's, which is reputed to have the best ribs in Memphis (them and Central).  But Corky's is supposed to specialize in ribs.  So we go to the original on Poplar Ave.  Cars lined up 10 deep for the drive-thru (okay, this looks promising). Inside is nice, homey, staff is first-rate polite and quick.  I ordered a full slab of "half-and-half", which is 1/2 the "famous" "Memphis dry rub" ribs and the more traditional sauced ribs.  Wife ordered brisket sandwich (you can just see it there in the upper right in pic below).  I was pretty damn hungry, more or less fasted most of the day in prep for this.  So they bring it out and man it looks fucking great:
corkys.png
So I tackle first the dry rub (left) side; figured my virgin palate at that point would be more accurate in taste, "untainted" by eating something first.  So I took a bite.

Mumphmmemm.... 

Man, that dry rub is just not for me.  It seems like it needs about 1/2 jar of salt or something to flavor it.  It had kind of a... metallic"... flavor?  I was pretty disappointed.  The "sauced" side had more flavor but still tasted like something they just added on before shipping it out to the table.  It just didn't "mesh" with the meat.  As for the pork rib, the meat was generally tasty but certainly not what I expected.. the spices to really give you that smoky or rub taste after combining for awhile with the tissue.  It melted off the bone in places (nice!) but was dry in others, particularly on the dry rub side. FWIW, the slaw was pretty damn good, the beans not bad, sweet, but kind of reminded me of a can of Campbell's beans.  More of a honey taste than a smoky taste.  From my memory, I don't believe this was a "bad" night nor that Corky's isn't all that good.  I think they're among the best, and the crowd at the place was a testament to this.

They did have a really, really good apple-flavored sauce, though, kind of cinnamony, like applesauce.  The other flavors were in bad need of a tangy base to spice them up, their "hot" sauce not really hot.  The apple-based sauce though was so good we bought a few bottles, though I'd never use it on a good Texas brisket, maybe a sirloin or hamburger.  Still good.

Also, wife said the brisket sandwich was among the best she's eaten anywhere.  I didn't taste it but I'll meet her up to a point and say it might have been really good, but nah, maybe Rudy's level.  

I just don't dig the 'cue that much outside of good Texas products.  It's alright but I get the feeling that most places in non-Texas BBQ country don't really know what superior barbecue is all about, in general.  That's it, I guess.

I tried Central once as it seemed to be highly recommended (even on the old forum). It wasn’t good. It wasn’t bad or inedible, but the pulled pork sandwich was dry and didn’t have much flavor. Their spicy bbq sauce was not even as spicy as whataburger ketchup. The ribs were also mediocre. I tried both wet and dry, didn’t care for either. The line was out the door and I had high hopes and an open mind, alas, it was rather mediocre. Rudy’s is better.

We live in BBQ paradise and the rest are mere imposters.  If it needs saucing then it probably isn't good is my stance and most outside of Texas need a good saucing to make it edible.  Otherwise, it's too dry, too bland, to jerky like to really matter.   Proper pulled pork doesn't need a ton of sauce if you cook it right as it has plenty of fat to render.  Brisket, we all know is the same.  Hell, even lean doesn't need to be dry AF. 

I've tried que from California, Utah, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Kansas City, Carolina, Maryland/DC, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Florida, Tennessee, West Texas, East Texas, South Texas, etc.  They all make me miss Central Texas Que.

Edited by Doc Holliday

My favorite place in Memphis is Germantown Commisary.  It was actually very good.

Much better than Rendezvous which I found similar to the OP's experience at Corkys.

Gus's fried chicken on the other hand exceeded my lofty expectations.

10 minutes ago, huge said:

My favorite place in Memphis is Germantown Commisary.  It was actually very good.

Much better than Rendezvous which I found similar to the OP's experience at Corkys.

Gus's fried chicken on the other hand exceeded my lofty expectations.

I liked Central slightly more than Germantown (had ribs from both places, nothing else), but this was several years ago (when we played @ Ole Miss).

In re: Memphis:

Rendezvous' ribs were tasteless in a recent visit.  Under-cooked and under-seasoned.  Sides were blah.  OTOH, fun crowd and atmosphere with good local beer by the pitcher, which is nice.

Gus's (though not BBQ, for the sake of thread purists), is a winner. 

Edited by DalTxHornFan

It's Central Texas and Kansas City for me, though I'm only in KC a couple times a year, so I stay pretty tightly focused on the best places when I'm there.  Other than obvious differences in brisket prep, the best Texas and KC places are more similar than different.

The depth of really good (if unspectacular) joints that Central Texas has developed over the last 5-10 years is staggering.

Chaps Pit Beef, Baltimore, MD.

This place has been on pretty much every "fat guy eats his way across America" show ever. I figured it'd be a bit more on the BBQ side of things due to cooking over coals but it's pretty much roast beef. No discernable smoke flavor on the sandwich, just a good medium beef flavor. Burnt ends were almost inedible. Fries were really good. Don't go expecting BBQ and you'll be happier than I was.
40d5194bfaeb892012d524028cdab90a.jpg

14 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Chaps Pit Beef, Baltimore, MD.

This place has been on pretty much every "fat guy eats his way across America" show ever. I figured it'd be a bit more on the BBQ side of things due to cooking over coals but it's pretty much roast beef. No discernable smoke flavor on the sandwich, just a good medium beef flavor. Burnt ends were almost inedible. Fries were really good. Don't go expecting BBQ and you'll be happier than I was.
40d5194bfaeb892012d524028cdab90a.jpg

Yup, I've had that sammich combo and it was okay.  Edible for sure, and definitely needed the sauce to make it worthwhile.

18 hours ago, VolenteHawk said:

It's Central Texas and Kansas City for me, though I'm only in KC a couple times a year, so I stay pretty tightly focused on the best places when I'm there.  Other than obvious differences in brisket prep, the best Texas and KC places are more similar than different.

The depth of really good (if unspectacular) joints that Central Texas has developed over the last 5-10 years is staggering.

I lived in KC for a couple years and I've tried all of them.  Went something like this...

Rudy's > the best KC BBQ > Dickey's

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Smax said:

2ijgjzd.jpg

Kinsmoke in Healdsburg

I did some smoked brussel sprouts for the first time recently and they will go on the regular rotation. Real good smoked with a little oil salt and pepper. Was delicious alongside my brisket. 

For Memphis, I prefer BBQ Shoppe to Central or Rendezvous, but I hear good things about Germantown Commissary.  I do prefer dry rub to an overly-sauced rib, and the poster above is 100% correct.  If you ask for wet or half and half, they sauce them directly before they serve.  No bueno.  If you're going to sauce a rib, it needs to cook and caramelize more.

3 hours ago, Paco said:

Welp, I know what I'm doing this weekend.

The have decent priced bourbon too, I finished their Pappy Lot B, couldn't resist at $18 a pour. Old Rip Van Winkle is either 14 or 16, Elmer T Lee is 11, Blantons I think is 10. Speaking of Blantons, if you want a bottle or two, stop Pohley's Market in Windsor, its on your way to Healdsburg. They have a dozen or so on the shelf

On 5/15/2018 at 5:20 PM, TornACL said:

I did some smoked brussel sprouts for the first time recently and they will go on the regular rotation. Real good smoked with a little oil salt and pepper. Was delicious alongside my brisket. 

How long do you leave them on the smoker?  Whole with the stems removed, 20 minutes in the oven at 425 F usually does pretty well.

The have decent priced bourbon too, I finished their Pappy Lot B, couldn't resist at $18 a pour. Old Rip Van Winkle is either 14 or 16, Elmer T Lee is 11, Blantons I think is 10. Speaking of Blantons, if you want a bottle or two, stop Pohley's Market in Windsor, its on your way to Healdsburg. They have a dozen or so on the shelf
You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

You went to a chain BBQ place and expected it to be on the level of one off BBQ places in central Texas?  The problem with most places people stop at is that they are restaraunts using a commercial grade stacked smoker just like Outback and others do their ribs in. They use sauce to make up for the lack of smoke and bark in most cases. Find the true local spots where it’s a guy at a pit and you’ll get good BBQ. It may not be up to the level of TX still, but it will be better than the chain stuff you are eating. 

I’ve had plenty of ribs and pulled pork I would put on a decent level (although a lot are still missing that perfect exterior so you get the pile of gray mush swayze mentioned), but I will say even half decent brisket has been hard to find.

Edited by Brew

On 5/14/2018 at 8:38 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

I tried Central once as it seemed to be highly recommended (even on the old forum).

And my experience was 180 degrees opposite. We researched and ended up at Central. I had 0 issues with the half and half ribs or pulled pork that we got. It was a quite enjoyable meal. I also somehow didn't realize that we were right by the Lorraine Motel (where MLK was killed) but noticed it when we stepped back outside and so we made the walk over and took in that history. I'm not the biggest fan of Memphis, just not my kinda town, but I enjoyed Central, the Lorraine for its history, the Peabody for the ducks, the Bass Pro Shops pyramid and Gibson's Donuts (Seriously - if you are ever in memphis, screw the rest of the food and get you some Gibson's Donuts. You're welcome).

39 minutes ago, relapse98 said:
Those fries look fucking amazing.

They serve them up with either cheese or gravy as well. After ordering I saw someone get a meal-size clamshell full of fries w/gravy, I was pretty jealous. That with beef on top may actually be the thing to get.

Edited by elfenix

And my experience was 180 degrees opposite. We researched and ended up at Central. I had 0 issues with the half and half ribs or pulled pork that we got. It was a quite enjoyable meal. I also somehow didn't realize that we were right by the Lorraine Motel (where MLK was killed) but noticed it when we stepped back outside and so we made the walk over and took in that history. I'm not the biggest fan of Memphis, just not my kinda town, but I enjoyed Central, the Lorraine for its history, the Peabody for the ducks, the Bass Pro Shops pyramid and Gibson's Donuts (Seriously - if you are ever in memphis, screw the rest of the food and get you some Gibson's Donuts. You're welcome).

But you are aggy. You are used to thinking shitty things are actually good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

But you are aggy. You are used to thinking shitty things are actually good.

Hey now!

It may have actually sucked, it may have been that we had driven 10 hours from New Braunfels and were starving, it may have been the other family we had gone with. Not really sure, I'll need to try again but if I'm in Tennessee.. Nashville is the place I really like. Memphis is just a pit stop if I'm driving.

In Nashville, we enjoyed Peg Leg Porker.  Did the lunch special with a pulled pork sandwhich. Mac and cheese was good and daughter loved the pork rinds. Apparently its a Tennessee thing to have pork rinds at bbq joints - don't see that in Texas.

16 hours ago, dcbc said:

How long do you leave them on the smoker?  Whole with the stems removed, 20 minutes in the oven at 425 F usually does pretty well.

I can't remember how long I left them on, maybe about an hour at 250?  Basically I pulled them when they were nice and browned and smelled like they do when you pull them out of an oven roast.

4 hours ago, TornACL said:

I can't remember how long I left them on, maybe about an hour at 250?  Basically I pulled them when they were nice and browned and smelled like they do when you pull them out of an oven roast.

Cool.  I'll need to give that a try.

I've eaten 3 or 4 times at Arthur Bryant's in KC and it wasn't actually bad, but the seasoning was kinda bland-- maybe overboard on the paprika, just no whang.  I might choose it over a Rudy's, but it would be nice to have the choice.

• 8 months later...
On 5/20/2018 at 8:01 PM, idahorn said:

I've eaten 3 or 4 times at Arthur Bryant's in KC and it wasn't actually bad, but the seasoning was kinda bland-- maybe overboard on the paprika, just no whang.  I might choose it over a Rudy's, but it would be nice to have the choice.

Tried Arthur Bryants back in '95, bought a large order for employees and large order for me and Mrs. Shooter.   Threw 90% of it in the trash.  Pretty much same description though, lots of paprika, and it even tasted like it may have had chili powder in the rub.  In any case, the KC rats ate well that night.

Was looking for BBQ in Fayetteville, Ark, so I e-mailed Daniel Vaughn. He recommended Wrights, which he said he had heard good things about. It is (for the most part) Central Texas style, and good.  They started as a truck and then opened a brick and mortar a little over a year ago.  Tried it a while back (about to be there again so will check it again), and it was pretty good

http://wrightsbarbecue.com/

Last night went to Martin's BBQ in Nashville. Had the whole hog plate which was good as it had the seasoned skin chopped up into it. Aldo got a couple of spare ribs. They were a little on the dry side but we ate at 7:30 so not sure how long they had been sitting since coming off the smoker. It's a cool place with 2 stories it, with the second story having a beer garden where a band plays and lots of places to just hang out or play darts, ping pong, table shuffle board, etc.
I thought only bbq places in Texas had lines out the door. Well, Martin's had one even in the rain but the line moved pretty quick. You stand in line to order and go take a seat. They give you a tracking device and will find you with your food.

On 5/14/2018 at 8:28 AM, phdhorn said:

I don't much like it.

Don't see a thread on "other" , so what the fuck.

My history has been that most of the stuff outside of Texas (KC, Memphis, Carolinas, etc.) is bland meat which needs spice/flavor help.  It's like they get some meat, coat it with sumpin' (dry rub or some type of sauce) and the two don't seem to mesh together.  The possible exception are a few ribs I've eaten and some pulled pork (although most is so-so).  Not to say there aren't many gems located beyond the Red/Sabine Rivers that aren't dee-lish, but in general, it's not my deal.  It either tastes too bland or too "made up" (I mean not quite McRib level, but getting there).

The latest chapter was coming home from my mom's funeral this past week, wife and I stopped/stayed overnight in Memphis.  Pulled into the city about 8 p.m. after a 12 hour drive to end our first day, decided that due to proximity to hotel and the buzz, we'd stop at Corky's, which is reputed to have the best ribs in Memphis (them and Central).  But Corky's is supposed to specialize in ribs.  So we go to the original on Poplar Ave.  Cars lined up 10 deep for the drive-thru (okay, this looks promising). Inside is nice, homey, staff is first-rate polite and quick.  I ordered a full slab of "half-and-half", which is 1/2 the "famous" "Memphis dry rub" ribs and the more traditional sauced ribs.  Wife ordered brisket sandwich (you can just see it there in the upper right in pic below).  I was pretty damn hungry, more or less fasted most of the day in prep for this.  So they bring it out and man it looks fucking great:
corkys.png
So I tackle first the dry rub (left) side; figured my virgin palate at that point would be more accurate in taste, "untainted" by eating something first.  So I took a bite.

Mumphmmemm.... 

Man, that dry rub is just not for me.  It seems like it needs about 1/2 jar of salt or something to flavor it.  It had kind of a... metallic"... flavor?  I was pretty disappointed.  The "sauced" side had more flavor but still tasted like something they just added on before shipping it out to the table.  It just didn't "mesh" with the meat.  As for the pork rib, the meat was generally tasty but certainly not what I expected.. the spices to really give you that smoky or rub taste after combining for awhile with the tissue.  It melted off the bone in places (nice!) but was dry in others, particularly on the dry rub side. FWIW, the slaw was pretty damn good, the beans not bad, sweet, but kind of reminded me of a can of Campbell's beans.  More of a honey taste than a smoky taste.  From my memory, I don't believe this was a "bad" night nor that Corky's isn't all that good.  I think they're among the best, and the crowd at the place was a testament to this.

They did have a really, really good apple-flavored sauce, though, kind of cinnamony, like applesauce.  The other flavors were in bad need of a tangy base to spice them up, their "hot" sauce not really hot.  The apple-based sauce though was so good we bought a few bottles, though I'd never use it on a good Texas brisket, maybe a sirloin or hamburger.  Still good.

Also, wife said the brisket sandwich was among the best she's eaten anywhere.  I didn't taste it but I'll meet her up to a point and say it might have been really good, but nah, maybe Rudy's level.  

I just don't dig the 'cue that much outside of good Texas products.  It's alright but I get the feeling that most places in non-Texas BBQ country don't really know what superior barbecue is all about, in general.  That's it, I guess.

Just catching up to this story...I've been to several Corky's locations both Memphis (original location) and Nashville. My experiences have been worse, same, and a little better than yours. I searched Corky's since they're open in Texas now. Of course, I agree that it just isn't Texas BBQ, which means we have another non-Texas BBQ joint in Texas. which means it should stay in this thread.

On 2/20/2019 at 3:11 PM, Bone3421 said:

Me,brother and the ladies did woodyard bbq in KC before a rangers game...recall it being pretty decent

Looks like a solid option from google dbl check...no pics since a few years ago

We did Woodyard during the Big 12 tourney a few years back, a Texas BBQ snob buddy of mine recommended it. We all had burnt ends and shared a couple racks of pork ribs, and it was all pretty solid.

I am pretty strictly a burnt end and pork rib guy up there, even though I measure Texas places on brisket. I cannot state it enough, you do not order “brisket” in KC. You will hate it, because most places use the point for burnt ends and thinly slice the flat for (mostly) sandwiches. Regardless of how good it might taste (or not), you’re getting something that looks like Arby’s.

• Like 1

Had a shit ton of Carolina style while I was in Camp Pendleton in the 90's.  Of course I was asking for brisket and there were like, "WTF is that?"  After I had theirs, I grew to like the mustard based sauces... and a pulled pork sammich in the summer just hit the spot;  but it will never be remotely approaching the same category of culinary greatness as Cen-Tex style BBQ for me.  It just did not have the depth of different flavors, textures, and actual beauty of a perfect serving of brisket and circle link sausage.

If you tout your sauce as the reason to try your place, then your BBQ almost certainly is not primo quality cue.

LOLz at my Yankee buddies who would invite us over for "BBQ" and it would be burgers and dogs...

Edited by slorch

We did Woodyard during the Big 12 tourney a few years back, a Texas BBQ snob buddy of mine recommended it. We all had burnt ends and shared a couple racks of pork ribs, and it was all pretty solid.
I am pretty strictly a burnt end and pork rib guy up there, even though I measure Texas places on brisket. I cannot state it enough, you do not order “brisket” in KC. You will hate it, because most places use the point for burnt ends and thinly slice the flat for (mostly) sandwiches. Regardless of how good it might taste (or not), you’re getting something that looks like Arby’s.

Agreed...i never get brisket outside of texas