Dinner Party Ideas

ScooterHTX

Before covid, a group of my wife’s friends started a dinner club with that consists of 5 couples. We have decided to get it going again and my wife and I will be hosting it next weekend. This started as an excuse for the wives to have upscale dinners and use their wedding presents.

In the past people have done things like rack of lamb, ribeye roast, etc. I see how cooking 1 big thing is easier than say 10 individual steaks.

Looking for ideas to cook for 10 people. My biggest issue is this is next Friday, and I doubt I will be home from work until 530 at the earliest.

I have the apps and cocktails figured out. Everyone will bring wine (we will drink a lot).

Depending on the main, my appetizers will likely be smoked salmon dip with a cheese tray or boiled shrimp w/ cocktail sauce and sautéed crab claws cooked in Bolner’s BBQ crab seasoning.

I would like to do as much prep work as possible the night before.

I thought about making homemade pasta and a bolognese the night before. I would just have to let it simmer in a pot and boil the pasta before dinner, and it would free up time to socialize with guests. Logistically, it seems like the best idea, I’m just not too excited about it.

Any other ideas?

We have a great backyard and will do this outside, with lights, white table cloth, full bar, etc.

Realize this is a narrow request, welcome to all other dinner party ideas as we are in a new house and plan on entertaining a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, ScooterHTX said:

I thought about making homemade pasta and a bolognese the night before. I would just have to let it simmer in a pot and boil the pasta before dinner, and it would free up time to socialize with guests. Logistically, it seems like the best idea, I’m just not too excited about it.

Any other ideas?

For things like this I do what I call deconstructed lasagne. Same ingredients but using Penne noodles, everything mixed like a casserole, and then melt your preferred cheese(s) over the top. I usually do one with meat and one vegetarian(I usually go one pan chicken and one pan spinach). Assemble it the day before and refrigerate overnight so all the flavors meld and bake it off before the party. Make a salad, an antipasto platter, and garlic bread to go with it. For the chicken grab grocery store rotisserie chicken(s) and cube it.

Everyone will be drinking, happy to be socializing, and willing eat anything. Don't overthink it.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

43 minutes ago, ScooterHTX said:

Before covid, a group of my wife’s friends started a dinner club with that consists of 5 couples. We have decided to get it going again and my wife and I will be hosting it next weekend. This started as an excuse for the wives to have upscale dinners and use their wedding presents.

In the past people have done things like rack of lamb, ribeye roast, etc. I see how cooking 1 big thing is easier than say 10 individual steaks.

Looking for ideas to cook for 10 people. My biggest issue is this is next Friday, and I doubt I will be home from work until 530 at the earliest.

I have the apps and cocktails figured out. Everyone will bring wine (we will drink a lot).

Depending on the main, my appetizers will likely be smoked salmon dip with a cheese tray or boiled shrimp w/ cocktail sauce and sautéed crab claws cooked in Bolner’s BBQ crab seasoning.

I would like to do as much prep work as possible the night before.

Any other ideas?

We have a great backyard and will do this outside, with lights, white table cloth, full bar, etc.

Realize this is a narrow request, welcome to all other dinner party ideas as we are in a new house and plan on entertaining a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easiest nice dinner party we ever did was Cornish game hens with some kind of a sauce, served on a wild rice pilaf with a bed of arugula and such stuff, along with oven-roasted asparagus spears.

Virtually all the prep/cooking was done the night before and we just popped stuff into the oven once the apps and cocktails started flowing.  Wife and I excused ourselves for a few minutes before meal time to plate the food, and fun ensued.

Good luck with your party.

• Hook 'Em 1

We do dinner parties quite a bit. You need to try it can't be some limp dick mail it in family style thing. Dinner club is all about actually cooking something cool. 

Get 2 whole tenderloins and do beef wellingtons.

Or

Get 2-3 whole ducks and smoke them after stuffing it with oranges and onions.

Or

Do fresh ground sirloin + brisket burgers on brioche buns and some dank ass garlic or hatch green Chile aoili. 

Or

Do a bone broth soup + the roast you deboned as the main. 

• Hook 'Em 2

A few months ago we did a Steak & Whiskey Night dinner party that was kind of a competition.  We let the guests pick a cut of steak that they wanted to make and a whiskey cocktail ahead of time, and let the others know who was making what so there weren't any duplicate choices.  Then I set up all of my live fire cooking stuff on my patio and we each cooked our meats however our recipe called for.  Some used the smoker and firebox, some the gas grill, some the griddle, etc.  For the cocktails I set up a bar table outside and we went one at a time making and trying the various drinks throughout the night.  I also made some appetizers, rolls, sides and a salad to go with the meal. At the end of the night we all voted on our favorite steak and cocktails and the winners won some cheap door prizes and a gift card.  The food turned out great and letting everyone cook too made everyone really engaged.  Everybody loved it and I still get comments on how we need to do it again soon.  It was a little bit of a pain in the ass to figure out how to execute it, but was well worth the effort.  I've also done a build your own pizza party that was a big hit too. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Second the Cornish game hens if you want to have a pretty easy meal that’s all dressed up for them.

If you have the range space and pots, what about cioppino? You were already planning to do shrimp and crab legs as appetizers so you’re halfway there. Make some different appetizers, which can all be done the day before. Maybe keeping the salmon dip and adding an antipasta, olives, etc. Serve with loads of crusty garlic bread.

Or maybe bit platters of garlicky Belgian style mussels, bread, and Riesling and Belgian beer. 

Fun to eat, likely something that will be new to people, and can be cooked in big batches. 

6 hours ago, immamac said:

We do dinner parties quite a bit. You need to try it can't be some limp dick mail it in family style thing. Dinner club is all about actually cooking something cool. 

Get 2 whole tenderloins and do beef wellingtons.

Or

Get 2-3 whole ducks and smoke them after stuffing it with oranges and onions.

Or

Do fresh ground sirloin + brisket burgers on brioche buns and some dank ass garlic or hatch green Chile aoili. 

Or

Do a bone broth soup + the roast you deboned as the main. 

Damn, dude.  You have a thing for brioche buns.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

This is a fun thread. 

I don't think we've ever done a dinner party like this, but it sounds fun.

My addition would be that if you're worried about prep time, but want to cook a meat, a suis vide might be a good option. You can throw it in to cook for almost any period of time and it won't over cook, you can start the cook the night before, or at lunch or even when you get home depending on the cut of meat, then you pop out and sear and you're good to go. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, deadshank said:

A4F8CA65-CC69-47DF-A304-8BA5942942ED.jpeg

i know what this is supposed to be and where it originated... but i missed the initial debut. was it ever explained what was actually IN it?? every time i see it i just think...brown rice? black beans? velveeta?? 

like...was there literally no chili ingredients in this thing? 😳

oh, topic... we've always gone more casual/easy...individual homemade pizzas is a fav. a dozen+ bowls of all different toppings, cheeses, etc., and small individual crusts (pitas work great), people build what they want then pop 'em on the grill. anti-fancy but fun!

8 hours ago, mchookem said:

i know what this is supposed to be and where it originated... but i missed the initial debut. was it ever explained what was actually IN it?? every time i see it i just think...brown rice? black beans? velveeta?? 

like...was there literally no chili ingredients in this thing? 😳

oh, topic... we've always gone more casual/easy...individual homemade pizzas is a fav. a dozen+ bowls of all different toppings, cheeses, etc., and small individual crusts (pitas work great), people build what they want then pop 'em on the grill. anti-fancy but fun!

if i'm not mistaken it was a seafood chili?  could be wrong.

I did a half a goat over oak coals on a spit I made for my fire pit for about 30 people the NYE before Covid and it was pretty amazing.

I think big cuts of meat take the cake here, but another option would be sous vide scallops.  You can brown them in clarified butter in about 30 seconds so it’s fast to get them all plated.  I’ve done that for maybe 6 people and you could probably stretch to 10 with two pans going without the first scallops getting cold before you sit down. 

2C3A5F15-F6CC-425A-85DD-38308CB9EF0B.jpeg

6FD6DCA5-FFA7-478D-9CB4-8364267E6C1C.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Marinade a large boneless, butterflied rack of lamb overnight in plain Greek yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, and rosemary (salt and pepper to taste).   When you ready, wipe off most of the yogurt.   It'll be ready to throw over fire, or a grill or just in the oven.  Because it is boneless and butterflied, it won't take too long to cook.   At dinner, carve and serve with an easy tzatziki, warm pita, maybe a tomato salad, roasted potatoes or whatever turns you on.  Elegant, easy and different.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/grilled-leg-of-lamb-recipe-1940278

• Like 1

Cooking a dozen steaks isn't that labor intensive doing the reverse sear method.  Heavily salt them and stick them on a rack in a 220 oven for 25-30 until they're around 110 degrees internal. Let rest on the counter for 20 minutes.  Get a cast iron griddle blazing hot out on the grill. Sear those bitches for like 1 1/2 - 2 minutes a side. Right before the flip, throw some butter, garlic, fresh rosemary and thyme on the griddle. Baste the steaks as you finish them.  Rest them before serving at medium rare.  

• Hook 'Em 1

If you ever want to dress it down a little bit, fajitas are easy. 

We had one of these going for a while when we were younger.  In the end, we paired it down to about two other couples we really liked.  The dinner party group dwindled, but the chosen three did tons of stuff together for years to come.  I always joked that that was the plan from the outset.

2 hours ago, luke duke said:

Double up Ina Gardten’s Beef Bourguignon recipe.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/beef-bourguignon-recipe-1942045

Fucking A, I was just about to post this.  Beef Bourguignon is really just fancy beef stew, but most good recipes (like Ina's) have a great flavor profile.  It can be a bit labor intensive on the front end, but after you get everything in the pot and in the oven, you let it simmer for a while and don't have to distract yourself from the guests by tending to a lot of finishing touches.  Serve with a nice green salad and a side of crusty bread brushed with garlic, and keep the red wine flowing.  I've made this often for dinner parties and get rave reviews.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Fucking A, I was just about to post this.  Beef Bourguignon is really just fancy beef stew, but most good recipes (like Ina's) have a great flavor profile.  It can be a bit labor intensive on the front end, but after you get everything in the pot and in the oven, you let it simmer for a while and don't have to distract yourself from the guests by tending to a lot of finishing touches.  Serve with a nice green salad and a side of crusty bread brushed with garlic, and keep the red wine flowing.  I've made this often for dinner parties and get rave reviews.

It can also be made a day in advance. Tastes even better the next day. Just throw your Dutch oven back on. I use venison back strap and it is outstanding.

10 hours ago, South Austin said:

I use Julia Child's recipe, but yes, it is a crowd pleaser.  It is better the next day.  I have found it is pretty involved to cook, however.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/25/2021 at 9:34 AM, USCATX said:

I did a half a goat over oak coals on a spit I made for my fire pit for about 30 people the NYE before Covid and it was pretty amazing.

I think big cuts of meat take the cake here, but another option would be sous vide scallops.  You can brown them in clarified butter in about 30 seconds so it’s fast to get them all plated.  I’ve done that for maybe 6 people and you could probably stretch to 10 with two pans going without the first scallops getting cold before you sit down. 

2C3A5F15-F6CC-425A-85DD-38308CB9EF0B.jpeg

6FD6DCA5-FFA7-478D-9CB4-8364267E6C1C.jpeg

Was gonna rep you until i saw your man bun.  Now you only get a well done reply.  You were a pair of cargo shorts away from getting negged.

Edited by RollLeft
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Help translate a text from new couple friends: 

“We should have dinner together.” 

Do they mean go out to dinner at a restaurant or host us for dinner at their house? 

It’s ok if you ask your wives. I’m at a loss myself. 

Surly automatic disclaimer: No they’re not swingers. It’s a pastor and his wife. 

Thanks for all of the replies.

In the end, I had plenty of time to cook as my deal at work gone done a day early.

Wife ended up requesting the original idea of homemade pasta and the below bolognese.

https://www.relish.com/recipes/134848/ragu-alla-bolognese-from-the-glorious-pasta-of-italy-recipe

Party was a big success. Lots of really good wine as well. I surprised the guests at the start of the dinner by asking them to look under their chairs for a surprise. Had Smirnoff Ice taped underneath them. Icing the dinner party is a nice way to start the night.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/23/2021 at 9:05 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

Easiest nice dinner party we ever did was Cornish game hens with some kind of a sauce, served on a wild rice pilaf with a bed of arugula and such stuff, along with oven-roasted asparagus spears.

Virtually all the prep/cooking was done the night before and we just popped stuff into the oven once the apps and cocktails started flowing.  Wife and I excused ourselves for a few minutes before meal time to plate the food, and fun ensued.

Good luck with your party.

Who's having sex with the hen?