30 Years Ago Today

Masshole Horn

On Sept 24, 1991 the following albums were released:

A Tribe Called Quest "The Low End Theory"

Red Hot Chili Peppers "Blood Sugar Sex Magik"

Soundgarden "Badmotorfinger"

Nirvana "Nevermind"

While these might not be these bands' best albums, it's hard to imagine a better set of albums being released on the same day, ever.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BoomMF said:

I don't know shit about Tribe's catalogue, but those other 3 are their respective bands' best so I assume "The Low End Theory" is a generational set of songs.

Low End Theory is the best album of those 4 in my humble opinion. 

Now I'm relistening... yeah this isn't close for me. But I don't love Nirvana nor that album. No qualms with Soundgarden or RHCP just not on the same level - again - imo.

Now if you wanna talk, idk, Siamese Dream or Dirt then ATCQ is taking a backseat. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Rip76 said:

Totally legit.

And those may actually be those bands best albums.

For Soundgarden, TCQ and Nirvana I believe they are.

Hell, that Soundgarden is a freaking masterpiece.

Badmotorfinger is amazing no doubt.  Some of my favorites on there for sure, but I waffle between it and Superunknown as my favorite album of theirs. No lose situation really 

Edit - as soon as I posted that Spotify cues Fell on Black Days, which is my all time favorite SG song.

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don't think Badmotorfinger was released the same day as Nevermind but I could be wrong about that? I don't remember it that way. 
Source: Me, an early subscriber to the Sub Pop Singles Club and an avid Nirvana and Soundgarden fan from 1989/1990. 

Looks like it was supposed to be released 9/24 but due to production issues came out a few weeks later.

21 hours ago, Rip76 said:

Totally legit.

And those may actually be those bands best albums.

For Soundgarden, TCQ and Nirvana I believe they are.

Hell, that Soundgarden is a freaking masterpiece.

21 hours ago, BoomMF said:

I don't know shit about Tribe's catalogue, but those other 3 are their respective bands' best so I assume "The Low End Theory" is a generational set of songs.

In_Utero_(Nirvana)_album_cover.jpg    >   NirvanaNevermindalbumcover.jpg

I have read recently, in a few different articles/comment sections, that many people feel that In Utero was that Nirvana group's best album.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Utero

I don't know one way or the other, I just thought that I would add this to stir the pot.

Yeah, like Boom says, "Nevermind" was a milepost kind of album, and there haven't been very many of those.  "Sgt Peppers" signaled what was possible with modern recording gear.  Van Halen's first record featured a new level of guitar virtuosity, and ushered in 13 years of spandex and hairspray (In the words of Bill Burr, "When I was a kid, you dressed like a girl and sang about the devil.  Now *that* was music.").  

The hair metal that VH inspired was the dominant sub-genre of rock music right up until the opening chords of "Teen Spirit."  Immediately, the hairspray and the spandex -- all of it was over.  The sound, the clothes, the haircuts, the cities that represented the cutting-edge ethos -- everything changed overnight.  "Nevermind" did that.

I would add Van Halen's debut to Boom's list of albums that changed the course of musical history.

My own .02 as an aside here:  Just like VH brought on a parade of terrible imitators (Warrant, Poison, etc), "Nevermind" brought on a parade of no-talent copycats with way too many layered dirty guitars (Creed, Nickelback).  Ugh.  

Anyway, "In Utero" was hugely anticipated as a follow-up, but the band didn't want to make Nevermind 2.  Instead, they worked with a different producer/engineer (Steve Albini), whose sound was far less polished.  I think the fact that the band pushed back against the label and chose to take a more low-fi, DIY path... it still inspires a lot of rock fans to proclaim it as the band's best work.

Personally, I think the songs on "In Utero" take a big step back, and I'm not wild about the Albini sound.    

Edited by Paul Wesley
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Badmotorfinger is amazing no doubt.  Some of my favorites on there for sure, but I waffle between it and Superunknown as my favorite album of theirs. No lose situation really 

Edit - as soon as I posted that Spotify cues Fell on Black Days, which is my all time favorite SG song.

Badmotorfinger is by far my favorite SG album.

The older I get, the more I love Ultra Mega OK. The remastered reissue sounds amazing and it’s great beginning to end. Beyond the Wheel, Flower, and Mood for Trouble are some of the best SG songs.

Louder than Love was my introduction to the band in ‘90. It’s uneven with the Hiro penned tracks but the rest is great.

I guess what I’m getting to is Superunknown is probably my 4th favorite SG album. I may rank it that low because I fucking hate Black Hole Sun.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Badmotorfinger is by far my favorite SG album.

The older I get, the more I love Ultra Mega OK. The remastered reissue sounds amazing and it’s great beginning to end. Beyond the Wheel, Flower, and Mood for Trouble are some of the best SG songs.

Louder than Love was my introduction to the band in ‘90. It’s uneven with the Hiro penned tracks but the rest is great.

I guess what I’m getting to is Superunknown is probably my 4th favorite SG album. I may rank it that low because I fucking hate Black Hole Sun.

Spoonman and Black Hole Sun get skipped. But just about every other song is awesome. 4th of July sounds more like a Badmotorfinger track. Limo Wreck is a great tune also 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Napoleon said:

In_Utero_(Nirvana)_album_cover.jpg    >   NirvanaNevermindalbumcover.jpg

I have read recently, in a few different articles/comment sections, that many people feel that In Utero was that Nirvana group's best album.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Utero

I don't know one way or the other, I just thought that I would add this to stir the pot.

A little bit of both is nice.

R-6553015-1454963521-1965.jpeg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 8:03 PM, ztejas said:

Low End Theory is the best album of those 4 in my humble opinion. 

Now I'm relistening... yeah this isn't close for me. But I don't love Nirvana nor that album. No qualms with Soundgarden or RHCP just not on the same level - again - imo.

Now if you wanna talk, idk, Siamese Dream or Dirt then ATCQ is taking a backseat. 

Both of these are masterpieces. Every damn song. I wish I would have added them to the 10/10 thread on my post 

• 3 weeks later...