2021 State Fair

Rockethorn1978

Got to the fair on opening day like I do every year. Tickets used to be .50 a ticket so $150 would get me 300 tickets. 2021 they are $1 a ticket and $150 gets you 150 and rides and food costs the same as 2019. So for me and the fam to eat our annual corn dog and drinks it was over $50 for all four of us to eat. Fucking pricey as fuck now. 

corn dog was amazing though. And the tits and ass was off the charts this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

So everything costs the same number of coopins doubling the price of everything or are we exaggerating?

Yea so 2019 tickets were .50 a ticket and a corn dog was 7 coupons so a corn dog was a modest $3.50

2021 it’s $1 a ticket and 7 coupons for a corn dog so that’s a $7 corn dog. So drink up before the RRS or the day is expensive AF. 

12 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yea so 2019 tickets were .50 a ticket and a corn dog was 7 coupons so a corn dog was a modest $3.50

2021 it’s $1 a ticket and 7 coupons for a corn dog so that’s a $7 corn dog. So drink up before the RRS or the day is expensive AF. 

If you're talking about Fletcher's, they were not $3.50 in 2019.  They haven't been$3.50 since maybe the 90s.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I guess you haven't been grocery shopping lately?

9 hours ago, PantsTent said:

I want to say corn dogs were 12 coopins but I've drank a lot since 2019.  The real question is beer.  6 used to be the cheapest at $3.

this is the correct answer.

The purpose of raising the ticket prices and cutting the cost of shit was just to save paper

.https://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/state-fair-of-texas-coupons-jump-from-50-cents-to-one-dollar-12464951

Here’s just one example of how you can tell.

That revolving tower ride that can be seen pretty much everywhere? Yeah that used to cost 20 coupons. Now? It’s 10.

Another way you can tell? When you buy them at an actual stand instead of those automated kiosks, they come in sheets of 10 and not 20 (the kiosks do them in sets of 15, which is so fucking weird). If this really were just about jacking the price, they’d have kept making the sheets of 20 and they’d cost $20 instead of $10. 

also, from the article:

The best news in all this is that it won’t interfere with the fair’s policy of accepting coupons from prior years. In fact, there’s some good news for those who save unused coupons from year to year. Coupons purchased for 50 cents in 2019 (or any prior year of the fair) are now worth a dollar. Try getting a return on investment like that with your savings account.”

We actually saved 253 coupons from the last state fair. 

Edited by hpslugga
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Both Tacos said:

Most don't save those few tickets they have left over. Can you imagine the millions of dollars worth of unused tickets that get discarded? Pure profit for the Fair Corp.

Meh. They make that money either way. But you’re right about there being tons of unused coupons. I cannot understand why. The fact that you can use ones from previous years isn’t a secret. They’ve put that out in the open forever. I’ve been saving mine since 1995. There have been 2-3 Texas/OU game days where we literally bought no coupons that day because of leftovers.

Can we change Big Tex to a more realistic representation of the 30 million or so Texans of the 21st century?

I can't remember the last time I saw a gringo wearing "Western" clothing.

If we insist on the cowboy theme, at least change his name to Big Tejas, and let Chingo Bling do his voice.

Meh. They make that money either way. But you’re right about there being tons of unused coupons. I cannot understand why. The fact that you can use ones from previous years isn’t a secret. They’ve put that out in the open forever. I’ve been saving mine since 1995. There have been 2-3 Texas/OU game days where we literally bought no coupons that day because of leftovers.
A lot of people don't know or care about saving them. I guess it's probably more that may not go every year or don't want to keep up with just a few coupons.
Actually they make the full $1 if it isn't redeemed by a vendor. Not sure what the split is between the fair and a vendor when they turn them in.

6 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Wait so did they halve the ticket costs of everything compared to 2019 or not?

They did. Now, overall money prices may have slightly increased on some things, but not the suggested 2x increase some described earlier.

For example, in 2019 a Fletcher dog cost 12 coupons. Now it’s 7. With the price change of coupons considered, that means they went from being $6 to $7. They did not, however, go from being $3.50 to $7. That’s all bullshit. As we stated, corn dogs at the state fair haven’t been that cheap in a long ass time. 

6 hours ago, Hermanator said:

I got tickets to the cotton bowl but may not go any other day if shit is more expensive than before. It was already crazy expensive

If you made plans to go on another day, do it…especially if you saved coupons from previous years. If you have a sheet of 20 coupons from 2019, you paid $10 for something that now has the purchasing power of $20.

Edited by hpslugga
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, hpslugga said:

They did. Now, overall money prices may have slightly increased on some things, but not the suggested 2x increase some described earlier.

For example, in 2019 a Fletcher dog cost 12 coupons. Now it’s 7. With the price change of coupons considered, that means they went from being $6 to $7. They did not, however, go from being $3.50 to $7. That’s all bullshit. As we stated, corn dogs at the state fair haven’t been that cheap in a long ass time. 

If you made plans to go on another day, do it…especially if you saved coupons from previous years. If you have a sheet of 20 coupons from 2019, you paid $10 for something that now has the purchasing power of $20.

However, Fletchers is charging 8 tickets for a regular beer.  That's pretty fucking pricey.

You can still get a $3 beer at the Beer Barn just outside the main entrance to the Cotton Bowl in the plaza.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

However, Fletchers is charging 8 tickets for a regular beer.  That's pretty fucking pricey.

You can still get a $3 beer at the Beer Barn just outside the main entrance to the Cotton Bowl in the plaza.

Yeah that's pretty steep but I don't ever buy beer from Fletcher's anyway.

We need some of you advance scouts to mark up a map with the beer stands that still have relatively cheep beer.  Any volunteers? I'll gladly mail you some Best Buy discount coupons for your efforts.

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah that's pretty steep but I don't ever buy beer from Fletcher's anyway.

We need some of you advance scouts to mark up a map with the beer stands that still have relatively cheep beer.  Any volunteers? I'll gladly mail you some Best Buy discount coupons for your efforts.

Popped in this afternoon after golf for a corny dog and some $3 beers at the beer barn. 

E2F47BBE-2647-45D6-9B15-70B706FAE57A.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

Went yesterday. 3 dollar beer still at the beer barn,  beers most other places are 5 to 7, fletchers are 7, turkey legs range from 18-22, Lerma's gorditas are 9 and still fucking awesome. Best thing I had was surf and turf (24 tickets) and the i35 (15 tickets) wasn't bad. Didn't get the gumbo balls but I will next visit, 25 tickets. Most of the rides I saw were 7

this is the correct answer.
The purpose of raising the ticket prices and cutting the cost of shit was just to save paper
.https://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/state-fair-of-texas-coupons-jump-from-50-cents-to-one-dollar-12464951

”The best news in all this is that it won’t interfere with the fair’s policy of accepting coupons from prior years. In fact, there’s some good news for those who save unused coupons from year to year. Coupons purchased for 50 cents in 2019 (or any prior year of the fair) are now worth a dollar. Try getting a return on investment like that with your savings account.”

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

Every year for the past whatever…we buy $400 in tickets on the way out the evening of the game, so we don’t have to waste time standing in line the next year.

So these are almost as good as my Bitcoin!
  • Hook 'Em 5

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

Every year for the past whatever…we buy $400 in tickets on the way out the evening of the game, so we don’t have to waste time standing in line the next year.

I think you qualify as an Oklahoma millionaire.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

Dude go nuts with that. Seriously, spend them all.

Heavy couple got on the crazy mouse car in front of us yesterday. The workers had to push them at the beginning because they got stuck on the first corner. Funny as fuck but I did get a bit nervous having to follow them 

You’re far braver than I to get on those rides.

People have died on those things.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, MirrOlure said:

Lines are for suckers. I walk up the 2nd person in line. Hand him an stack of cash. Tell him to buy me some tickets and keep $20 for himself.

Bernard

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

we always go first day and always use our left over coupons.  This year with the switch we had one vendor refusing to accept old coupons so he got reported.

The cajun egg rolls slammed.  Line was too long for the DF gumbo balls.  Beer barn wins and wife had way too many frozen ranch water.  

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 7:32 AM, utee94 said:

That's one way to do it.

Another, is to go to the no-line kiosk.

Or, just buy them online before going to the Fair.

These things fuck up all the time. I was using one and the damn kiosk next to me just apit out 2 pages of coupons. The dude that was running that area said they have been having issues with it giving more than people bought. Good problem but I didn't get any extras 

• Haha 1

On 9/30/2021 at 6:12 PM, Zepol87 said:

Went yesterday. 3 dollar beer still at the beer barn,  beers most other places are 5 to 7, fletchers are 7, turkey legs range from 18-22, Lerma's gorditas are 9 and still fucking awesome. Best thing I had was surf and turf (24 tickets) and the i35 (15 tickets) wasn't bad. Didn't get the gumbo balls but I will next visit, 25 tickets. Most of the rides I saw were 7

So those gumbo balls are $25?!  Those people are making a damn killing!  I need to invent a food item next year…. 

Edited by Hook1997

54 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

So those gumbo balls are $25?!  Those people are making a damn killing!  I need to invent a food item next year…. 

Yep. Thats why I said fuck that then had a few beers and we decided to save money and split the dollar item lol. It was really good though. 

Beer barn is right in front of them midway by the cotton bowl. Next to the stage 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1