Cowboy Bebop - Netflix

Viper

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, ztejas said:

Not sure how I feel about the lead but could be good. 

6 hours ago, RPM said:

Cho is a great choice, imho.

If it wasn't for his age, he'd be perfect. It can still work of course. Especially if they just make Spike older.

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Okay, damn, this could be really good.

But it's also Netflix.

so it will be amazing and bring in a hundred thousand new subs, but cancelled after the 3rd season when its audience stops growing?

Edited by Viper
  • Rage+1 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just watched Ep1. So fucking good. They've done a fantastic job homaging the original. The cinematography is very true to the anime. It's an excellent blend of animation, cgi and live action. Mustafa Shakir is outstanding as Jet. John Cho is an impressive Spike. The soundtrack kills. I AM fapping to this. Furiously.

Edited by RPM
  • Drool 1

Just finished S1. PLEASE let them renew for S2. They stray from the original series a tad, but I'm loving every second of this. They've really captured the feel and look including background minutia and especially the music. A+

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/21/2021 at 5:04 PM, YChang said:

The music is so good. Just downloaded the album. 

I have never been into anime and only had a cursory idea of the original but thought bebop was just the name of their ship and had no idea of the jazz connection in this. I think the music alone made this better. I also like it has the feel of some old show from the 70's, which the old cars are cool too. Surprised I watched more than 1 episode but finished the season and look forward to the next. 

On 11/19/2021 at 12:52 PM, RPM said:

Just watched Ep1. So fucking good. They've done a fantastic job homaging the original. The cinematography is very true to the anime. It's an excellent blend of animation, cgi and live action. Mustafa Shakir is outstanding as Jet. John Cho is an impressive Spike. The soundtrack kills. I AM fapping to this. Furiously.

Finished the first episode.  Fuck there's a shitload of stuff this week - Beatles documentary, Star Trek is back, I'm finishing up Foundation, Wheel of Time 4th episode just dropped, new South Park movie/special, etc.

But this

Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF

Production quality is through the roof.  I have a passing familiarity with the original anime series, and this was a lot of fun, and it'll be hard not to watch more than one or two episodes at a time over the next week or so.

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Finished the first episode.  Fuck there's a shitload of stuff this week - Beatles documentary, Star Trek is back, I'm finishing up Foundation, Wheel of Time 4th episode just dropped, new South Park movie/special, etc.

But this

Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF

Production quality is through the roof.  I have a passing familiarity with the original anime series, and this was a lot of fun, and it'll be hard not to watch more than one or two episodes at a time over the next week or so.

On 11/22/2021 at 10:42 AM, huge said:

Plenty of negative reviews online. I have never seen a second of the original, should I start there?

Never saw the original series. Remember hearing/seeing the name. 

blew through this in 2 days. Thoroughly enjoyed. 

Then started on the anime but I’m struggling to stay focused since the first episode storyline was covered in the Netflix version and it’s very close to shot for shot. But I looked and the anime has like 26 episodes so I know there will be some new to me content if I keep going. 

• Like 1

But this
200.gif

I need to check out cowboy. Foundation any good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

My only quibble is that the sex/nudity level seemed deliberately muted compared to the violence.  

It's the metoo era. There's no way they make the women the sexpots they were in the anime. I was disappointed in Faye at first, but got over it pretty quick.

I never saw the the anime version ... I'm an OG anime guy, so I guess I was too old for CB.

I loved this show but too was disappointed in Faye's relative frumpiness ... lots of opportunities for some hotness with her or Julia.

Apparently all the CB fanboys hate it - I was surprised by the heavy negative reviews. Shakir was amazing.

1 hour ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Apparently all the CB fanboys hate it - I was surprised by the heavy negative reviews. Shakir was amazing.

Those people were never going to like it unless it was animated.

Plus, they were probably angry that they weren't really the target audience.

But I also know plenty of CB fans that like it, and hope they will get a lot more than they got with the anime.

44 minutes ago, RPM said:

Well furk...

The Bebop has been grounded: Netflix has cancelled its live-action Cowboy Bebop adaptation after just one season, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

https://tvline.com/2021/12/09/cowboy-bebop-cancelled-netflix-season-2-john-cho/

Damn this sucks. I watched the anime more than once and still have the dvd sets in the closet. Haven't started this yet but already bad news 

4 hours ago, RPM said:

Well furk...

The Bebop has been grounded: Netflix has cancelled its live-action Cowboy Bebop adaptation after just one season, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

https://tvline.com/2021/12/09/cowboy-bebop-cancelled-netflix-season-2-john-cho/

Damnit.  It was extremely expensive, but I thought it'd be like Altered Carbon and give us more.

3 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Dang. I never watched a minute of anime but enjoyed this series. 

I have a feeling you were the audience.

FWIW, I think the original anime series only had one season.

On 11/26/2021 at 8:50 PM, Buzzrock said:

It’s like Tarantino meets Whedon.

That's a great way to put it, that's exactly what was in my mind.

I'm not an anime guy so I'd never heard of it, but just watched the first episode last night and it was thoroughly entertaining.  I'll finish it up over the holidays, no doubt.

3 hours ago, lateshow said:

Never heard of the original anime. Debated watching this. 

I stumbled across it late one night on Adult Swim. I hate anime, but the music was awesome so I gave it a shot. I chose wisely. It was heavily censored in Japan when released. Seems the main complaints with the live version was not enough sex and Cho was too old. But you're never going to please an anime crowd with live action.