TCU game week.

Wulaw Horn

IMHO, this game is a must win for UT. It will show the naysaynig press out there that UT football is going in the right direction. I really want us to break the 81 points we scored against them in 1974.  I hope the team comes out really pissed off. I'm sure that the local FW press will provide plenty of bulletin board material this week BTW,  I really don't care if they're a bunch of good guys to have drinks with.

Just now, gmr548 said:

Y’all are really fucking confident given what this team looked like in it’s only other road game and TCU’s absolute ownership of this program for the past decade.

Texas can, hell, should win. But this team has a lot to prove.

Yeah not touching any lines on this.

TCU has owned us, they love to play Texas.  We looked like dog shit at Arky but how much of that Arky being good and Card not handling his first road start. Rice and Tech are ass but the improvement was great to see.

Go out and prove me wrong, Texas. 

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah ownership of two coaches who were fired. Quit being a pussy about TCU 

We finally have an offense where we aren't just scraping together enough points to win. Casey also looks as good as Sam ever did, and his ceiling seems higher. 

We know TCU will spy Casey, but if our OL can do enough for Bijan & Co. to establish the running game, we will make hay.

I'm mostly worried about how our defense will play.

Yeah ownership of two coaches who were fired. Quit being a pussy about TCU 

Yeah, this is what I’m talking about, a hollow point that shows there’s really nothing more the blind hope that this time it’s different.

Tom Herman had a better winning percentage at Texas than Sark has for his career, and has actual accomplishments like getting to a CCG and winning NY6 bowl games as a head coach that Sark does not. He was also not fired midseason for being drunk on the job. Sark failed miserably at getting this team prepared for the only comparable game it’s played. TCU does not seem to have problems scoring and the Texas defense has shown it can be had. There’s very little support at this juncture for assuming the script is going to be flipped just because there’s some new bodies on the sidelines. Sark and staff have to prove it before they get the benefit of the doubt in this situation.

And to state it explicitly before you jump on the obvious deflection: this is not a defense of Tom Herman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah, this is what I’m talking about, a hollow point that shows there’s really nothing more the blind hope that this time it’s different.

Tom Herman had a better winning percentage at Texas than Sark has for his career, and has actual accomplishments like getting to a CCG and winning NY6 bowl games as a head coach that Sark does not. He was also not fired midseason for being drunk on the job. Sark failed miserably at getting this team prepared for the only comparable game it’s played. TCU does not seem to have problems scoring and the Texas defense has shown it can be had. There’s very little support at this juncture for assuming the script is going to be flipped just because there’s some new bodies on the sidelines. Sark and staff have to prove it before they get the benefit of the doubt in this situation.

And to state it explicitly before you jump on the obvious deflection: this is not a defense of Tom Herman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yo have a sip

fc43ccc544e2d659338df1964393f7af.jpeg

we are going to beat them by double digits

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

If the offense that played yesterday shows up, we will win even if it only scores 35-42.

It's our defense that has me worried.

I'd say Jamison's starting spot is up for grabs this week. Outside of his mishaps, the offsides by RB3 lead to a score and the defense played well.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

We looked like dog shit at Arky but how much of that Arky being good and Card not handling his first road start.

Go out and prove me wrong, Texas. 

I wouldn't single out Card on not handling the first road start. I'd put it on the entire team and coaches, but also emphasize the OL just completely shit the bed. They were just as unprepared as Card was. Having been through that trial by fire, I think the entire team, and that includes Card, will play better on the road in hostile environments now. I wouldn't count out Texas beating Arkansas in a rematch.

Reason for optimism with the offense now, but the defense has a whole lot to work on and the OL really needs to prove itself against better talent than Tech had to offer.

13 minutes ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

I'd say Jamison's starting spot is up for grabs this week. Outside of his mishaps, the offsides by RB3 lead to a score and the defense played well.

Our safeties leave a lot to be desired and the front seven are still giving up big running plays too. Plenty to improve on with defense.

7 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

I wouldn't single out Card on not handling the first road start. I'd put it on the entire team and coaches, but also emphasize the OL just completely shit the bed. They were just as unprepared as Card was. Having been through that trial by fire, I think the entire team, and that includes Card, will play better on the road in hostile environments now. I wouldn't count out Texas beating Arkansas in a rematch.

Reason for optimism with the offense now, but the defense has a whole lot to work on and the OL really needs to prove itself against better talent than Tech had to offer.

What about having almost two delay of games in a row?

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

What about having almost two delay of games in a row?

What does that have to do with what I said? Are you talking about Card? If so, I don't see how that changes the complete shit show the OL put on, the game plan or the inane play calling by Sark, like trying to run up the middle for two yards and a cloud of dust at best, or for a loss, over and over. Or for that matter, how long Sark held out for plugging Casey into the game. I'm all for letting a new QB try to struggle through some adversity, but it was clear a change needed making long before it happened.

Just now, sith_horn said:

What does that have to do with what I said? Are you talking about Card? If so, I don't see how that changes the complete shit show the OL put on, the game plan or the inane play calling by Sark, like trying to run up the middle for two yards and a cloud of dust at best, or for a loss, over and over. Or for that matter, how long Sark held out for plugging Casey into the game. I'm all for letting a new QB try to struggle through some adversity, but it was clear a change needed making long before it happened.

Maybe the game plan goes better if card got the ball out sooner to the receivers who were open underneath that he failed to see. 

6 minutes ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

I forgot about Foster he was responsible for the first two TDs of the game. His job is up too!

Let's not forget Schooler tackling Jamison while whiffing on a WR ensuring 6 points. I personally didn't find his goal line slam tackle to be a problem though and chalk that up to a bitchass call by the refs.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Y’all are really fucking confident given what this team looked like in it’s only other road game and TCU’s absolute ownership of this program for the past decade.

There’s a lot for Sark and the team to prove this week.

Can we hold up on the lines against legit competition? This will be the second real P5 team we’ll play this year. We know our OL and DL can dominate against weak teams, but can they hold up against P5 lines? This will be an especially good test for the OL. TCU has some good DL talent and they stunt and twist a lot, especially against us. 

Will the team handle a hostile road environment? We obviously failed miserably in our first one, but Casey starting will make a huge difference and TCU won’t be nearly as intense as Fayettenam. 

Can the team handle success? We looked pretty good against ULL and then immediately shit the bed. I want to see Sark show us he can keep this team engaged and playing at a high level coming off a resounding win. 

Im optimistic we can get a solid yes to all three, but we’ll see. Sark will definitely have to protect the OL through scheme and play calling, but their play against Tech was night and day better than the first three games. Regardless of talent of the opponent, our technique and assignment-soundness was massively improved. 

44 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Our safeties leave a lot to be desired and the front seven are still giving up big running plays too. Plenty to improve on with defense.

The secondary was a pretty big red flag against Tech. They were the first team that really tried to throw deep on us and we failed miserably. TCU will be the first real test of our secondary. They need to play much better. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Hollow?

Like being dumb enough to think that games played 10 years ago against a staff three coaches ago are somehow relevant? That hollow? 

Relevant in that the staff on the other sideline hasn't changed, has a pretty consistent track record of getting even its lesser teams to elevate their level of play against Texas, and Sark & co. utterly failed with preparing the team for the only similar game they've played. Given the circumstances, it's certainly a prove it game for the staff and the team.

^
Love that Heisman image.

I rise now to ask some pertinent questions...
-Any of you Surly folks in Fort Worth/Mid-Cities going to the game?  Little embarrassed to admit that of the 14 institutions that have been in the Big XII, I think TCU, MIZ, and OKL are the only stadiums I've never seen a game in.  But wife wants to go see her sister this weekend, so I wanna hit up the game with her husband.  Early kickoff, but what is there to do around the stadium from 9-11am?  And do they sell beer in their stadium in general seating areas or just in premium seating?  I'm only forking over money for nosebleeds.  But what's the general vibe there?  Where we tailgating?  If there is a bar nearby, I'll buy a round.  

Just purchased tickets in section 234 last night. Not sure what there is to do around the stadium pre-game. Sorry I can’t help out in that regard. Maybe others have some input or are better informed. I’ve only been to one other game at AGC. That was two years ago when Texas lost by 10. I do know that up to about an hour or so before kickoff, all beer vendors have what they call a “happy hour” where beers are half price. And beers are sold throughout the stadium, not just in premium seating. There are plenty of bars within 10-15 minutes of the stadium. 7th street and The Shops at Clearfork are two areas that come to mind. I don’t know that any of those areas open before 10 am and that’s cutting it close to kickoff. If there is a surly tailgate I’d for sure like to know about it. Expecting a much better outcome than I witnessed two years ago.
Texas-56
TCU-17
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Maybe the game plan goes better if card got the ball out sooner to the receivers who were open underneath that he failed to see. 

Maybe it goes better too if the OL gets any push at the LOS when rushing and Majors isn't sabotaging the blocking schemes, or they protect their green QB in a hostile environment on the road so he actually sees those open receivers instead of worrying about the next blindside Jones, Okafor or Majors allows. Your first response to my post is puzzling. It's as if you interpreted mine as somehow giving Card a pass whereas I merely pointed out he isn't the only one who didn't handle the environment well. I believe the entire team will handle those environments better now for having been through it though.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

I am wondering if K Robinson plays this week. He hurt his shoulder on the TD run. Not sure if it is something that will keep him out or not.

34 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Maybe it goes better too if the OL gets any push at the LOS when rushing and Majors isn't sabotaging the blocking schemes, or they protect their green QB in a hostile environment on the road so he actually sees those open receivers instead of worrying about the next blindside Jones, Okafor or Majors allows. Your first response to my post is puzzling. It's as if you interpreted mine as somehow giving Card a pass whereas I merely pointed out he isn't the only one who didn't handle the environment well. I believe the entire team will handle those environments better now for having been through it though.

Yeah I got called an idiot for basically having the same take- that Card was about 5th or 6th on the list of reasons why we lost, it wasn’t on him, and he didn’t play winning football. 
Basically everyone in that game was pretty poor except #5 on offense and #11 on defense. 

• Hook 'Em 2

^
Love that Heisman image.

I rise now to ask some pertinent questions...
-Any of you Surly folks in Fort Worth/Mid-Cities going to the game?  Little embarrassed to admit that of the 14 institutions that have been in the Big XII, I think TCU, MIZ, and OKL are the only stadiums I've never seen a game in.  But wife wants to go see her sister this weekend, so I wanna hit up the game with her husband.  Early kickoff, but what is there to do around the stadium from 9-11am?  And do they sell beer in their stadium in general seating areas or just in premium seating?  I'm only forking over money for nosebleeds.  But what's the general vibe there?  Where we tailgating?  If there is a bar nearby, I'll buy a round.  
Around the stadium? Not much. Come to Sundance square downtown for food and drinks, (pretty much anything) or if you prefer a younger crowd, West 7th entertainment district on the west side of the Trinity river..near the Museums, Will Rogers, Casa Manana etc..

Edit- forgot about the 11am kick (I'll be club level with some toad friends) so will be breakfasting and pre-drinking at home...might want to find out about tailgating.

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Why are you acting like Fattyenam and Fort Worth will even be close to same environment?

• Hook 'Em 1