WTF @ the number of SEC teams who have never won a conference title

SEC

I got to thinking about how much Vandy sucks so I went to go look up when the last time they won the SEC was, and it turns out they've never won the conference? In fact, 5 of the 14 members have never won the conference ever? And for some of those schools, that's approaching a century of membership. And one, Miss St, won their sole conference at the start of WWII???

What the fuck, what a shitty conference! Even Rice picked up a few SWC championships over the years, you're telling me nearly half of the SRC SRC SRC has never tasted the joy of a conference title?? Fucking pathetic.

• Fuck You 1

49 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

South Carolina?

Right.  Kentucky has several, but not since Earl walked the 40 acres.

The year we ended up 11-1 and beat Arkansas in Fayetteville for their only loss yet ended up ranked behind them, Kentucky was unbeaten in SEC, lost only to Baylor, beat Penn St. in State College for their only loss, but also ended up ranked behind them.

Alabama, Florida, Auburn, LSU and even Tennessee have all won national titles in the last 25 years. And Georgia is generally a top 10 team with a lot of talent.

It's just hard to climb that ladder for the rest of the conference. I'm not one of those who thinks the bottom of the SEC would be the top in any other conference but you legitimately have 5 programs that think they should be winning it all every year. Arkansas, A&M, Ole Miss and Mississippi State have had seasons where they've won 10-11 games but finished 3rd in the division.

1 hour ago, Gohogs14 said:

Arkansas, A&M, Ole Miss and Mississippi State have had seasons where they've won 10-11 games but finished 3rd in the division.

It seems like that but it's usually one school every 2-3 years who wins 10 finishes and 3rd in the division.  Then you go look at the numbers.  3 OOC wins versus McNeese State,  Mercer and Winthrop.   Then another 3-4 versus Vandy, South Carolina, Mizzou and Arky.  They beat a down (for that year) MSU/Ole Miss/Tennessee/Florida who all started the year in the top 25 so they get lip service for those wins.  Then they shit the bed versus LSU, Bama and/or UGa and every just chalks it up "it just means more."   

The SEC then pairs them up with an average team from the Big XII, Big 10 or ACC who skull fucks them in a bowl game but because "A&M/Auburn/LSU/Florida/etc. didn't want to be there and the SEC is more competitive and harder week after week in conference than anything Penn State/Wiscy/Virginia Tech/Tech/Baylor sees in conference."

See how this works?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

I'd excuse aggy and Mizzou for "only" having 10 years to win it. So that leaves Arky, South Carolina, and Vanderbilt? However, it's not like the Big 12 is better since Iowa State, Kansas, Texas Tech, and West Virginia never won it. WVU can be excused like above, but for the other three, that's roughly the same amount of time Arky and South Carolina have had to win the SEC.

If it's just a Vandy complaint, then it works looking into the Big 8 and SWC. All final Big 8 and SWC football teams at least on the conference once, though a handful only once or twice - Tech, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State. End result SWC more balanced than the SEC, Big 8, or Big 12.

Edited by n64ra

for whatever it's worth, south carolina was a relatively late add to the conference, just like arky, agros, and mizzou.

florida, georgia, kentucky, tennessee, vandy, alabama, auburn, lsu, ole miss, and miss state all joined in 1932 at the founding.  sewanee, georgia tech, and tulane were all part of the founding as well but left in 1940, 1964, and 1966 respectively.  vandy is the only remaining original member that never won one.  all the rest that haven't are relative noobs.

arky and south carolina expansion in 1991 (59 years later).  both have now been members for 31 years.

agro and mizzou expansion in 2012 (80 years later).  both in their 10th year.

here is a listing of teams ranked by their historical number of sec-only conference championships in football and last one in parentheses:

alabama - 28 (2021)

tennessee - 13 (1998)

georgia - 13 (2017)

lsu - 12 (2019)

auburn - 8 (2013)

florida - 8 (2008)

ole miss - 6 (1963)

georgia tech - 5 (1952)

tulane - 3 (1949)

kentucky - 2 (1976)

miss state - 1 (1941)

vanderbilt - 0

arkansas - 0

south carolina - 0

mizzou - 0

agro - 0

sewanee - 0

if you throw in conference championships from other conferences after 1932, agros have 12 swc titles and 1 big 12 title since 32 (last in 1998), arky has 13 swc titles (last in 1989), mizzou has 6 big 8 titles (last in 1969), south carolina has 1 acc title (last in 1969), and vandy of course has no conference titles.

edit: edited to throw in gt and tulane to the list of numbers.

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 1

This thread got me wondering about Big 12 teams and conference titles.

The following have all won Big 12 titles:

• OU
  • Texas
  • OSU
  • Baylor
  • TCU
  • K-State

Other schools' last conference title:

• West Virginia - 2011 - Big East
  • Texas Tech - 1994 - SWC
  • Kansas - 1968 - Big 8
  • Iowa State - 1912 (!) - Missouri Valley

Edited by oSuJeff97

8 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

• OU
  • Texas
  • OSU
  • Baylor
  • TCU
  • K-State

• Kansas - 1968 - Big 8

Not sure I count Tech's 4-way tie in 1994 where aggy was not eligible for the title because of probation as a real conference title.  Their last outright conference title was 1956 in the Border Conference, which included luminaries like Hardin Simmons.

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Not sure I count Tech's 4-way tie in 1994 where aggy was not eligible for the title because of probation as a real conference title.  Their last outright conference title was 1956 in the Border Conference, which included luminaries like Hardin Simmons.

Ah. I was just going by conference titles listed on the Wiki. Looks like they also had a shared SWC title in 1976.

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

It seems like that but it's usually one school every 2-3 years who wins 10 finishes and 3rd in the division.  Then you go look at the numbers.  3 OOC wins versus McNeese State,  Mercer and Winthrop.   Then another 3-4 versus Vandy, South Carolina, Mizzou and Arky.  They beat a down (for that year) MSU/Ole Miss/Tennessee/Florida who all started the year in the top 25 so they get lip service for those wins.  Then they shit the bed versus LSU, Bama and/or UGa and every just chalks it up "it just means more."   

The SEC then pairs them up with an average team from the Big XII, Big 10 or ACC who skull fucks them in a bowl game but because "A&M/Auburn/LSU/Florida/etc. didn't want to be there and the SEC is more competitive and harder week after week in conference than anything Penn State/Wiscy/Virginia Tech/Tech/Baylor sees in conference."

See how this works?

Every conference has some sort of cannibalism to it. I haven't actually researched it but it sure does seem like most of the time the SEC team gets matched up with a team that finished higher in another conference. I know the year we finished 3rd in the division we got the Big 12 co-champ Kansas State and beat them by double digits.

The SEC gets the benefit of the doubt since the recruiting and amount of NFL draft picks are just so much higher than any other conference, more talent than anywhere else. Haven't crunched the numbers on the actual bowl results. I know people acted like A&M coming into the SEC with Manziel and winning was a slight on the SEC but they destroyed Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl that year too.

2 minutes ago, Gohogs14 said:

Every conference has some sort of cannibalism to it. I haven't actually researched it but it sure does seem like most of the time the SEC team gets matched up with a team that finished higher in another conference. I know the year we finished 3rd in the division we got the Big 12 co-champ Kansas State and beat them by double digits.

The SEC gets the benefit of the doubt since the recruiting and amount of NFL draft picks are just so much higher than any other conference, more talent than anywhere else. Haven't crunched the numbers on the actual bowl results. I know people acted like A&M coming into the SEC with Manziel and winning was a slight on the SEC but they destroyed Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl that year too.

Meh.  ou didn't want to be there.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

• OU
  • Texas
  • OSU
  • Baylor
  • TCU
  • K-State

• Kansas - 1968 - Big 8

I'm never understood the aggy shade about XII ... a conference it never won.

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

See how this works?

Rubber stamped