Texas/ou 11am on ABC

Pancho

6 minutes ago, Queen Bitch said:

I like OU as a morning game and I'm not apologizing.

You wake up early, a combination of grossly hungover and still drunk, but the shower-beer helps to re-lubricate the bones.  You show up to the fair, shove down some corny dogs and more beer, and before you know it the game is minutes away. Then, after you win, your side gets to claim the fair for the rest of the day until the sun goes down, at which time you gotta get the fuck outta the neighborhood. 

I'm open to hearing why 2:30p is the better option, but I know I'm right.

I'd like to hear a better excuse for why not at night other than, "city of Dallas doesn't want to." Fuck all that

11am works but I want a night game at the cotton bowl

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Queen Bitch said:

You wake up early, a combination of grossly hungover and still drunk, but the shower-beer helps to re-lubricate the bones.  You show up to the fair, shove down some corny dogs and more beer, and before you know it the game is minutes away. Then, after you win, your side gets to claim the fair for the rest of the day until the sun goes down, at which time you gotta get the fuck outta the neighborhood. 

Because selfishly, I have elementary-aged kids, and there's no way I can make it to the game when their games stretch from the morning to early afternoon.

10 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I'd like to hear a better excuse for why not at night other than, "city of Dallas doesn't want to." Fuck all that

Pretty sure the “Dallas doesn’t want it at night” is just message board rumor and not based on fact. If it is fact, I’d love to read the source.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

Because selfishly, I have elementary-aged kids, and there's no way I can make it to the game when their games stretch from the morning to early afternoon.

I have young kids with a bunch of shit on Saturday next weekend. I'm leaving them with a nanny and driving up with my wife for the weekend, happily focusing on the Cotton Bowl shitshow while the little league shitshow is in the rearview mirror. 

I'll never understand the bitching about 11am for this game. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

I hear ya.  Mine are middle school aged and both have played club soccer for years.  We tell the coaches every year, "We'll be gone on Columbus Day weekend.  So will a lot of other kids.  You probably shouldn't schedule any games that weekend." 

We head up to Dallas on Thursday every year, my kids miss school on Friday, and whatever soccer games on Saturday their coaches were dumb enough to schedule despite the warning.  Then we spend all Friday morning and early afternoon at the Fair, which is really is the bees' knees.  Lines are WAY shorter.  It's glorious.

That way we can be a lot more strategic about what we do on Saturday and work it around the gametime, no matter when kickoff is.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Queen Bitch said:

This is how it’s done. This man has upper management potential 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

You wanna talk about an enjoyable experience, try imagining the exiting of the Fair at 11pm-12am when all 300,000+ people have to leave at the same time. 

That’s not even to say anything about the neighborhood. That’s just a simple logistical indication of a nightmare you’ve never seen before in your life.

I go on opening night of the Fair every year, we stay until closing, and I’m telling you; that’s an unpleasant experience…and that crowd isn’t near as large as it is TX-OU day. 

Getting your car just a couple tenths of a mile down the road would probably take 45-60 minutes, the highways connecting to that downtown corridor would clog in a manner analogous to the way it does coming into the Fair when it’s an 11am kick, Uber/Lyft would have catastrophic surge prices (not to mention finding your driver would be…fun), the DART lines would barely move, etc.

That “play it at night” shit is on the level of those clowns who say “move it to JerryWorld!!!”

• Hook 'Em 3

If you had to diagram it, you play at home at 11am. Next week, you go on the road to a hostile environment in a smallish stadium at 11am. The week after, you play your Big Game of the season at 11am.

By that time, the team simply thinks 11am is when they're supposed to be playing football. I've seen too many instances of Texas trying to crank the engine with 10:00 left in the 2nd quarter to discount this.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Disagree.  When the game is 11, they open the fair at or before 8, so you can actually get there before the crowd hits. When it's 2:30, everything opens at 10, and all the crowd and heat are already there. 

We get to the parking lot at 7, drink til 745, then head in and get 90 minutes or so of cool weather, short lines, and space to wander. It's glorious.

Maybe my memory is bad, but I seem to remember The State Fair opening at 8am when the kickoff was 2:30pm at a game I attended...

Either way, doesn't matter to me.

It's 12:12pm....  AND

ou sucks!!!

35 minutes ago, Queen Bitch said:

I read your post in George Clooney's monologue voice here:

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I have young kids with a bunch of shit on Saturday next weekend. I'm leaving them with a nanny and driving up with my wife for the weekend, happily focusing on the Cotton Bowl shitshow while the little league shitshow is in the rearview mirror. 

I'll never understand the bitching about 11am for this game. 

Yeah, but you're no saint.

Team 11AM here.  I preferred 2:30 in my 20's when I felt the need to drink until 4AM but 11AM much better.   As noted, the fair is fantastic at 8AM with no lines. Perfect time for Corn Dog and Wax Cup beer.  For a 2:30 start it's going to be packed by 10AM so you spend too much of pregame in line for shit.   Also, years when we win, post-game victory beers in the afternoon are fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 5

OU boards looking ahead
Spoiler

FAOcMgaUUAQpIL2?format=jpg&name=mediumFAOcM14UcAQWRLx?format=jpg&name=mediumFAOcNMQVEAUJeqz?format=jpg&name=mediumFAOcNh4VcA8t8wg?format=jpg&name=medium

Kansas State sans Skylar Thompson is trash so they can go ahead and look ahead. Agree that Texas will be their most significant test by a wide margin defensively, but there’s no reason for them to be particularly worried about the Texas defense. The only thing stopping them from naming their number on Texas is their own offensive struggles. The Texas DL will have nothing to do with it based on what we’ve seen. The game has the makings of a shootout.

So of course it’ll be 3-2.
  • Haha 1

This will be my 20th Texas/OU game to attend in-person (all consecutive 2002-2021 and not including the Big 12 title game). There've maybe been five or six that kicked off 2:30 and the rest have been at 11? Fine with me. Entering the fair around 8am is my favorite moment of the year.

Anyway my career record sits at 7-12, let's get that turned around starting next Saturday.

• Hook 'Em 2

Two bloody marys at the hotel.

At least six wax cups and two Fletchers before kickoff. 

Turkey leg and more beer postgame after the win. 

Besides tasting delicious, the turkey leg also serves as an effective pointing device while hurling taunts at the dejected Sooners passing by. 

Edited by TornACL
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I like 11 am because it lessens the amount of time I'm sick to my stomach in anticipation before kickoff. 

Same, which was the Mack philosophy too.  Less distractions and less time to think about it - just go out and play.

Sark said he likes the 11am because they get the whole afternoon with recruits after 11am games. 

Team 11AM here.  I preferred 2:30 in my 20's when I felt the need to drink until 4AM but 11AM much better.   As noted, the fair is fantastic at 8AM with no lines. Perfect time for Corn Dog and Wax Cup beer.  For a 2:30 start it's going to be packed by 10AM so you spend too much of pregame in line for shit.   Also, years when we win, post-game victory beers in the afternoon are fantastic.

Its like Im taking crazy pills here!

10am for an 11am kick is wall to wall people
10am for a 2:30 kick is brisk

11am kick is really a 1035 kick because of the lines getting into the stadium. If you dont get in line before 1045, you will miss the start of the game.

8am is 8am. Thats when I want to wake up. Feel free to get to the Fair at 8am no matter when the game starts.

For out of towners, 230 allows people to drive in and out at reasonable times, getting back to Austin or Houston late. But not having to leave town at 4 or 5am. You can actually enjoy the Fair.

You morning people can still wake up for your 5am walk for a 230 kick.
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Same, which was the Mack philosophy too.  Less distractions and less time to think about it - just go out and play.

Sark said he likes the 11am because they get the whole afternoon with recruits after 11am games. 

That's interesting.  I've heard other coaches lament the early kickoffs because it's harder to get recruits to their games, often after playing in their HS game the night before.  

11 AM is the correct answer.

Arrive at the fair before 9AM eat and drink as much as you can.

Find the secret cheap wax cup beer kiosk. 

Profit.

..and remember to pack your comfortable game shoes....one year I packed in the morning on Friday, went to work until noon and then headed up to Dallas, only to find on Saturday morning that I forgot my running shoes.  The forecast for the day was unseasonably warm so I wore shorts with my lace up construction boots and my UT shirt.  I was a sight to behold.   2nd most redneck thing I have ever done.  Texas lost badly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

If you haven't made all of your fair purchases by 10AM.  Including doubling or tripling up on your last beers before entering stadium. You are doing TX-OU wrong.

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Skipper said:

If you haven't made all of your fair purchases by 10AM.  Including doubling or tripling up on your last beers before entering stadium, you are doing TX-OU wrong.

1 minute ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Profit.

..and remember to pack your comfortable game shoes....one year I packed in the morning on Friday, went to work until noon and then headed up to Dallas, only to find on Saturday morning that I forgot my running shoes.  The forecast for the day was unseasonably warm so I wore shorts with my lace up construction boots and my UT shirt.  I was a sight to behold.   2nd most redneck thing I have ever done.  Texas lost badly.

This

6 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

This will be my 20th Texas/OU game to attend in-person (all consecutive 2002-2021 and not including the Big 12 title game). There've maybe been five or six that kicked off 2:30 and the rest have been at 11? Fine with me. Entering the fair around 8am is my favorite moment of the year.

Anyway my career record sits at 7-12, let's get that turned around starting next Saturday.

Attended 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 2001, 2006, 2011, 2012 and 2013 and god willing this year since I have tickets.

So 4-4-1

4 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Profit.

Does the 1st most redneck thing involve a good looking cousin, because that might require pics. You know, rules and everything.

20 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Attended 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 2001, 2006, 2011, 2012 and 2013 and god willing this year since I have tickets.

So 4-4-1

I started in 1992, also…but I never stopped.

30th in a row coming up here. My dad, OTOH, will be attending number 59 in a row. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Its like Im taking crazy pills here!

11am kick is really a 1035 kick because of the lines getting into the stadium. If you dont get in line before 1045, you will miss the start of the game.

8am is 8am. Thats when I want to wake up. Feel free to get to the Fair at 8am no matter when the game starts.

For out of towners, 230 allows people to drive in and out at reasonable times, getting back to Austin or Houston late. But not having to leave town at 4 or 5am. You can actually enjoy the Fair.

You morning people can still wake up for your 5am walk for a 230 kick.

Fair no open at 8 when 230 game, so no you can't just go in.  Normal fair open time is 9 for parking lots and ticket booths and 10 for buildings/food/etc. They modify it for 11a kicks but not 230 kicks. And at 10 for the 2017 game it was absolutely butts to nuts trying to get anything.  I will have a beer and a Fletcher's in 12 days at 8:02 AM, same transaction in 2017 took 20-30 minutes.  NOPE.

• Hook 'Em 1