Texas/ou 11am on ABC

Pancho

6 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Fair no open at 8 when 230 game, so no you can't just go in.  Normal fair open time is 9 for parking lots and ticket booths and 10 for buildings/food/etc. They modify it for 11a kicks but not 230 kicks. And at 10 for the 2017 game it was absolutely butts to nuts trying to get anything.  I will have a beer and a Fletcher's in 12 days at 8:02 AM, same transaction in 2017 took 20-30 minutes.  NOPE.

Noon at a 2:30 kick: "Hey I think I'll go ride that ride..... holy Christ is that the line?? Yeah no. Lets go get some more corn dogs. Holy Christ is that the line?? Guess I was full anyway."

• Haha 1

For those of us that watch with a group at a sports bar, 11 is better.  It's a hell of a lot easier to get a large group - usually about 50 of us - situated in an empty bar at 10AM than try to work around other games already being on at 2.  We've done Texas Live and a couple of spots on Greenville over the years.  We've settled on a pretty cool spot in Addison if any of y'all are orphans and need a place to watch.  PM me.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Same, which was the Mack philosophy too.  Less distractions and less time to think about it - just go out and play.

I think all 4 Black Saturdays kicked off at 11.   Less distractions, less time to think about it, plenty of time to go out and play dead.   

BS 2 in 2003, remember seeing Tom Hicks walking down the main stairs leaving the Bowl looking like his first born had been run over by a truck.

Ugh.

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

11 AM is the correct answer.

Arrive at the fair before 9AM eat and drink as much as you can.

Find the secret cheap wax cup beer kiosk. 

Profit.

..and remember to pack your comfortable game shoes....one year I packed in the morning on Friday, went to work until noon and then headed up to Dallas, only to find on Saturday morning that I forgot my running shoes.  The forecast for the day was unseasonably warm so I wore shorts with my lace up construction boots and my UT shirt.  I was a sight to behold.   2nd most redneck thing I have ever done.  Texas lost badly.

you do know there are stores that sell shoes everywhere in the country right? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hpslugga said:

You wanna talk about an enjoyable experience, try imagining the exiting of the Fair at 11pm-12am when all 300,000+ people have to leave at the same time. 

That’s not even to say anything about the neighborhood. That’s just a simple logistical indication of a nightmare you’ve never seen before in your life.

I go on opening night of the Fair every year, we stay until closing, and I’m telling you; that’s an unpleasant experience…and that crowd isn’t near as large as it is TX-OU day. 

Getting your car just a couple tenths of a mile down the road would probably take 45-60 minutes, the highways connecting to that downtown corridor would clog in a manner analogous to the way it does coming into the Fair when it’s an 11am kick, Uber/Lyft would have catastrophic surge prices (not to mention finding your driver would be…fun), the DART lines would barely move, etc.

That “play it at night” shit is on the level of those clowns who say “move it to JerryWorld!!!”

I don't disagree with any of this but I'd still like to experience it once.  The midway lit up like iraq circa 2003 and every fan in that stadium shithoused going ape for a 7pm kick sounds worth it to deal with a clusterfuck getting home.

Same. Usually an "am I alive or not" bloody mary on the way to Fair Park at 7:30 with a kolache of some sort that I picked up at Slovacek's on the way in on Friday. In the door by 8 with 2 Shiners and 2 corn dogs procured by 8:15 (earlier if I pre-bought my drink tickets). Five solid minutes of indigestion and 10 more Shiners later, it's time to kick some okie ass. Pretty much the perfect start to the day for me.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, kopp0e said:

I thought ESPN said the game time [way back in the month of August] hell, I like morning corny dogs...

Maybe the early kick will gum-up UT on offense, Lord knows OU needs all the help it can get in 2021.?!

The 70 points Texas just scored against Tech were during an 11 AM kickoff, so...

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Scraps said:

you do know there are stores that sell shoes everywhere in the country right? 

Not that are open at 8 in the morning and not between my hotel and the cotton bowl.  Even if there were, I was not the driver, and my crew was already going through the withdrawal shakes and needed their wax cup beer.

1 hour ago, CptnJiggleBits said:

Does the 1st most redneck thing involve a good looking cousin, because that might require pics. You know, rules and everything.

No.  Most redneck thing was killing a hog with a plastic shard from a Larry the Cable guy VCR tape and then cooking the hog with Confederate money.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Its like Im taking crazy pills here!

10am for an 11am kick is wall to wall people
10am for a 2:30 kick is brisk

11am kick is really a 1035 kick because of the lines getting into the stadium. If you dont get in line before 1045, you will miss the start of the game.

8am is 8am. Thats when I want to wake up. Feel free to get to the Fair at 8am no matter when the game starts.

For out of towners, 230 allows people to drive in and out at reasonable times, getting back to Austin or Houston late. But not having to leave town at 4 or 5am. You can actually enjoy the Fair.

You morning people can still wake up for your 5am walk for a 230 kick.

this. 2:30 allows you to get there at 10am.  its not packed at that point(done it numerous times)and you can have a good 2 hours before it really starts to get jammed up.  getting in the stadium is much easier because you don't have 80% of the ticketholders getting there at 10:30 trying to a) get a beer and a corny dog and b) get into the stadium.

you also get an hour or so after to enjoy the win and then GTFO to shower off "the fair".

the only potential downside to 2:30 is if it is hot.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

I don't disagree with any of this but I'd still like to experience it once.  The midway lit up like iraq circa 2003 and every fan in that stadium shithoused going ape for a 7pm kick sounds worth it to deal with a clusterfuck getting home.

….but every fan IS shithoused going ape at 11 and 2:30. It has nothing to do with the time and everything to do with the fact that this is a game where the two fan bases hate each other’s guts. I’ve never been at that game thinking “you know this atmosphere would be made better if they kicked off at 7.”

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

When the game is 11, they open the fair at or before 8, so you can actually get there before the crowd hits. When it's 2:30, everything opens at 10,

We get to the parking lot at 7, drink til 745, then head in and get 90 minutes or so of cool weather, short lines, and space to wander. It's glorious.

the above may apply to those of the okie persuation.... however  its not accurate for anyone wearing burnt orange and entering the Fair at Gate 5.

Being as this year is #29 in a row for me in person you should listen to me as I am pre-law.

11am kickoff = 7am gates open at gate 5.  ive literally valet parked at that gate since 2002.  Its always open at 7, get in, pay, and then head into the fair, where the ticket booths are open with no lines.  Get your first fletchers and wax cup beer by 7:20am.

Now, if you are waiting in the parking lot to pre-game, have a bunch of cheap beers and then wait to 8am, I guess I can award you some points for that. but otherwise, its open at 7 every year. ( even last year).

last 2:30 game was 2017,  I got there at 730 and the gates were open then as well (although almost no one was there until 930+).       The 2010 game was 2:30 as well.  but I know I was there before 8am as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

We're not WVU. We have a far better offense and a far shittier defense.

Our defense isn't as sound as WVU is yet but it's not far shittier. Held Ark to 16 in a first half where Ark had the ball the whole time and Tech had 14 when the game because a blowout. It'll be interesting to see what happens defensively at TCU

7 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

the above may apply to those of the okie persuation.... however  its not accurate for anyone wearing burnt orange and entering the Fair at Gate 5.

Being as this year is #29 in a row for me in person you should listen to me as I am pre-law.

11am kickoff = 7am gates open at gate 5.  ive literally valet parked at that gate since 2002.  Its always open at 7, get in, pay, and then head into the fair, where the ticket booths are open with no lines.  Get your first fletchers and wax cup beer by 7:20am.

Now, if you are waiting in the parking lot to pre-game, have a bunch of cheap beers and then wait to 8am, I guess I can award you some points for that. but otherwise, its open at 7 every year. ( even last year).

last 2:30 game was 2017,  I got there at 730 and the gates were open then as well (although almost no one was there until 930+).       The 2010 game was 2:30 as well.  but I know I was there before 8am as well.

Yeah the 7am-745 window is due to consuming vodka in the parking lot haha. Also the food vendors state that they aren't open until 8. I don't need to go into the fair until corny dogs are available for purchase. Are you saying that they are selling corny dogs and beer at 715? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Our defense isn't as sound as WVU is yet but it's not far shittier. Held Ark to 16 in a first half where Ark had the ball the whole time and Tech had 14 when the game because a blowout. It'll be interesting to see what happens defensively at TCU

I'll believe it when I see it. Another poster mentioned that we're 99th in the nation in adjusted YPP. I hope that's skewed by our demoralized players getting run over by Arky and our DBs losing focus during the Tech game, but that's highly concerning. Rice was opening up running lanes before that game got out of hand. We'll see how we hold up against more multi-dimensional P5 offenses.

Just now, TXSooner518 said:

Yeah the 7am-745 window is due to consuming vodka in the parking lot haha. Also the food vendors state that they aren't open until 8. I don't need to go into the fair until corny dogs are available for purchase. Are you saying that they are selling corny dogs and beer at 715? 

somewhere on facebook Ive got multiple reminders coming up in the next week of all the times ive had my first Corny before 730a for sure.  and at least 2 times where it was 720 or earlier.  dog AND beer.

2 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Some vendors are open.  Just depends on how quickly they can get set up.

12 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

This raises an important question. I moved to Houston last year and I’ve haven’t done the drive from here to Dallas in years. Anything beat buccees as a go to stop?

What part of Houston are you coming from? If you pass 610 & Telephone, I'd say swing by the Original Kolache Shoppe. Other than that, I don't have a lot of kolache/klobasnik recommendations in Houston. It was the one thing that I struggled to find a suitable option for when I lived there...of course, growing up in heavily Czech community probably made my expectations unrealistic.

11am is cool with me, but I live 30 miles away and usually wake early anyway. Plan is to hit the road no later than 7:30am, beer and or vodka-redbull in hand by 8:30, fletchers and wax cup by 9:30 or whenever icechest supplies run low. I have a good feeling about this one.

Edit- OU sucks in case anyone is wondering

19 minutes ago, ousux said:

I have a good feeling about this one.

It seems like we're coming in as the better team for the first time in a long time. As long as we don't faceplant in FW this weekend. 

The issue with this game is that how good either team is tends to have little to do with the result. 

4 hours ago, hpslugga said:

You wanna talk about an enjoyable experience, try imagining the exiting of the Fair at 11pm-12am when all 300,000+ people have to leave at the same time. 

That’s not even to say anything about the neighborhood. That’s just a simple logistical indication of a nightmare you’ve never seen before in your life.

I go on opening night of the Fair every year, we stay until closing, and I’m telling you; that’s an unpleasant experience…and that crowd isn’t near as large as it is TX-OU day. 

Getting your car just a couple tenths of a mile down the road would probably take 45-60 minutes, the highways connecting to that downtown corridor would clog in a manner analogous to the way it does coming into the Fair when it’s an 11am kick, Uber/Lyft would have catastrophic surge prices (not to mention finding your driver would be…fun), the DART lines would barely move, etc.

That “play it at night” shit is on the level of those clowns who say “move it to JerryWorld!!!”

if i could find my prior irrefutable science on this subject, i would add this post to the canon

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Some vendors are open.  Just depends on how quickly they can get set up.

Yeah the ones on the midway and by Big Tex are a little slower to set up, but the ones along the east side of the stadium behind the Embarcadero usually have their shit rolling pretty quickly after 7…

3 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

sweatergawd this is an urban legend

someone post the fucking gps and prove it exists this year

There’s a tent at the far south end of the Midway where it takes the turn by the death drop and catapult launch mega-rides whose name is literally “Six Coupon Beer”…

• Hook 'Em 1

What's the best way to get to the state fair on Saturday?  It's been years since I've been and think we just parked and walked last time, not sure if public transportation or Uber would be better options.

To clarify we are staying at a hotel downtown on Friday night

Edited by TexTexTex
clarification

What's the best way to get to the state fair on Saturday?  It's been years since I've been and think we just parked and walked last time, not sure if public transportation or Uber would be better options.

DART
  • Hook 'Em 1

There’s a tent at the far south end of the Midway where it takes the turn by the death drop and catapult launch mega-rides whose name is literally “Six Coupon Beer”…

I read on the food forum that tickets went from $0.50 to $1.00 this year. So six ticket ($3) beers are now $6 beers. Of course, everyone else’s prices would double too so still best value

8 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I read on the food forum that tickets went from $0.50 to $1.00 this year. So six ticket ($3) beers are now $6 beers. Of course, everyone else’s prices would double too so still best value

They're now 3 coupon beers.  

Some prices went up dramatically but not everything. 

27 minutes ago, TexTexTex said:

I park at the market center Green line DART station that's around Harry Hines and oak lawn and ride it in. That makes it easier for me to get to my car after the game but I'm coming from prosper. If you're staying downtown you could probably Uber to the game then take the DART rail to a downtown stop and either walk or Uber back to your hotel from there. I imagine getting an Uber after the game from the fair might be a little difficult and surge priced unless you're staying long after the game. 

If you do decide to take the DART train download the GoPass app and you can buy your tickets online and not have to deal with the kiosk. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, CatalinaWineMixer said:

Shouldn't we be focused on TCU right now?

Well the coaches and team sure as shit better be!  If they're worried about the TX-OU gametime and the price of beer at the State Fair right now instead of preparing for our next opponent, we probably weren't going to win many games this year anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2