Texas/ou 11am on ABC

Pancho

22 minutes ago, CatalinaWineMixer said:

Shouldn't we be focused on TCU right now?

You're right. Damn, I gotta forget about all this TX/OU game nonsense about transportation and booze and food and parking and start concentrating on which are the best BBQ and CFS places in Ft. Worth.

7 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I'd like to hear a better excuse for why not at night other than, "city of Dallas doesn't want to." Fuck all that

11am works but I want a night game at the cotton bowl

Because the cotton bowl doesnt have lights? Because that is down in a really bad part of town? Both seem reasonable. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I read on the food forum that tickets went from $0.50 to $1.00 this year. So six ticket ($3) beers are now $6 beers. Of course, everyone else’s prices would double too so still best value

I've got probably 30 tickets in my glove box that went unused two years ago. Wonder if they'll still accept those. 

4 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

What part of Houston are you coming from? If you pass 610 & Telephone, I'd say swing by the Original Kolache Shoppe. Other than that, I don't have a lot of kolache/klobasnik recommendations in Houston. It was the one thing that I struggled to find a suitable option for when I lived there...of course, growing up in heavily Czech community probably made my expectations unrealistic.

Oak Forest so that's a no go unfortunately. 

I'd like to hear a better excuse for why not at night other than, "city of Dallas doesn't want to." Fuck all that
11am works but I want a night game at the cotton bowl
It wouldnt feel like the same game I've known all my life. Bright October sunshine, giant ferris wheel in the background..9 year old me tossing a ball around with my buddies at halftime. Not sure what else you need..
  • Hook 'Em 2

It wouldnt feel like the same game I've known all my life. Bright October sunshine, giant ferris wheel in the background..9 year old me tossing a ball around with my buddies at halftime. Not sure what else you need..

You still get all that. And where are you tossing a ball at halftime. If I try to visit the pisser I miss the start of the 2nd half?

9 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Its like Im taking crazy pills here!

10am for an 11am kick is wall to wall people
10am for a 2:30 kick is brisk

11am kick is really a 1035 kick because of the lines getting into the stadium. If you dont get in line before 1045, you will miss the start of the game.

8am is 8am. Thats when I want to wake up. Feel free to get to the Fair at 8am no matter when the game starts.

For out of towners, 230 allows people to drive in and out at reasonable times, getting back to Austin or Houston late. But not having to leave town at 4 or 5am. You can actually enjoy the Fair.

You morning people can still wake up for your 5am walk for a 230 kick.

Just do what @UTexasFight does or spend a nice weekend in Dallas. 

5 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Team 11:00am here

i’ve gotten used to my tradition of rolling out of bed at 4:30 in austin, hitting Dallas as the sun is rising. Grabbing that first fletcher’s by 7:30

- Drive up Friday morning (take the day off, you’re not that fucking critical)

- Play golf, have a nice dinner, holla at sloots, drink enough to enjoy the evening and prepare your liver for the morning. 

- Get up at 6a, eat a breakfast taco while making 2 pitchers of bloody mix. Pack the cooler, friends and tickets into the ride and park at the same location you always park at, paying $10-$20 extra for the good service. (That’s key and worth it*)

- Hand everyone in the parking lot  a beer and their bloody. Repeat 2 more times, at least. Fit in another taco if you can while you finish your beer on the way walking to the fairgrounds. 

We/I do this every year and every year it’s a fucking great experience. Can’t wait. 

*The key - we pay the parking attendant the parking fee, plus a beer and a $20. For that he saves our spot every year and he stops traffic when we leave out the back that gets us back “home” within 30 mins. It’s fucking money. 

Also, fuck OU. 🤘🏼

Edited by Droopy
No drinking a driving. 😉
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

You still get all that. And where are you tossing a ball at halftime. If I try to visit the pisser I miss the start of the 2nd half?
This is when I was a kid growing up in Denver, so backyard. watched the game on tv with dad and his buddies. Didnt go to my first shootout until we moved back to Texas when I was 11.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Bad news: fair coupon price doubled with zero changes at the vendors. A single coupon is now $1.00 instead of $.50
Fair beer and food just got extremely more expensive.

No they fucking didn’t double prices, coupons are dollar each but they didn’t leave the vendor coupon price boards at same level as previous years.

2 hours ago, Constant said:

Bad news: fair coupon price doubled with zero changes at the vendors. A single coupon is now $1.00 instead of $.50

Can we stop with this fucking bullshit rumor please. For fucks sake. It's already been covered here. 

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Your reverse voodoo hoodoo hex ain't gonna work this time, dirt burglar!

I have zero confidence right now.  By that Saturday morning I’ll be in the right place.  By the way we rarely sleep more than 1-2 hrs, if that.  You just keep it rolling with whatever pharmaceuticals it takes and are ready to eat someone’s face off by kick off.  

I learned the face eating thing from my time in FL.  Either way, 11am is alright alright alright.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Constant said:

If your arriving to the Cotton Bowl sober, you’re doing it wrong. Buying 1-2 beers inside shouldn’t break your bankroll. (Gob voice) Come on! (Gob voice)

3 hours ago, Constant said:

Sweet! The hundreds of old State Fair coupons I have just doubled in value!  Better than Bitcoin investing.

https://www.dallasnews.com/arts-entertainment/state-fair/2021/09/23/your-old-state-fair-of-texas-coupons-work-in-2021-and-theyve-doubled-in-value/

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Night game at the Cotton Bowl ain't gonna happen. South Dallas after dark... 

I really don't get this prevailing opinion that pops up every year.  It's really not that dangerous of a neighborhood.  Especially if you're pouring out into it with 100,000 other people.  I think the two biggest challenges, as DeLoss pointed out time and time again, are moving that many people out of Fair Park and back to their lodging/homes at 11pm would be a fucking headache and a half.  And he said this long before Uber/Lyft.  There's just not as many available bus drivers, train operators, cab drivers, etc.  And the obvious one is that everybody would be shitfaced drunk beyond belief.  People would be drinking like it was the end of the world.  We'd still get up out of muscle memory and start imbibing alcohol by 8:30am out of habit.  By 6:30pm, we'd all be legally dead.  That pre-game is like no other on the CFB calendar, there's nothing to do but roam around, drink beer, and talk shit.  

Plus, we have played in places far, far more rougher than South Dallas.  Fayetteville after dark, Columbus after dark, East Orlando after dark, Waco after dark is a fucking cesspool, et. al.  

It's a lot easier to move 100,000+ people out of Fair Park when it's spread throughout the 3pm-10pm time frame than everyone all leaving Fair Park at 11pm-midnight. As someone who has been stuck in an hour of non-moving traffic leaving 4th of July fireworks at the Cotton Bowl, trust me when I say you never want to have to sit through that hell. Now imagine you have to sit in an hour of traffic that doesn't move after losing to OU. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It's a lot easier to move 100,000+ people out of Fair Park when it's spread throughout the 3pm-10pm time frame than everyone all leaving Fair Park at 11pm-midnight. As someone who has been stuck in an hour of non-moving traffic leaving 4th of July fireworks at the Cotton Bowl, trust me when I say you never want to have to sit through that hell. Now imagine you have to sit in an hour of traffic that doesn't move after losing to OU. 

Again, it’s thrice that amount. You’re just counting the people in the stadium. There are twice as many on the fairgrounds outside the stadium. 

Ever notice when you leave that game there’s a sea of people that you have to inch your way through (especially if you’re on the press box side which is by Big Tex) and it takes for fucking ever? Yeah, those people were never in the stadium. Even if they’re wearing school colors, they’re just fans who went to the fair and watched the game on TV.

Now try doing that when the fair will be closing in 20 minutes or what the fuck ever they’d allow in such a ridiculous fantasy.

Good points.  Plus at 11pm (assuming a primetime start), that's a couple hundred thousand people.  tens of thousands of whom drove there or ride-shared there, and while they're waiting for traffic to thin out or for their Ubers to get down there.  And there's nothing to do, no restaurants to wait it out, the Fair is closed, nothing but just co-exist with a bunch of drunk people, half of whom are livid they just lost to their biggest rival.  That recipe is way more fucking dangerous than this "Big & Scary South Dallas" bullshit, half-ass racist, myth that gets bandied about every year.  Logistics, fighting, and alcohol.  That's why there's no night game.  Pure and simple.  Has nothing to do with the nice people in that part of town who have been always incredibly hospitable and polite with me and my guests.  

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Good points.  Plus at 11pm (assuming a primetime start), that's a couple hundred thousand people.  tens of thousands of whom drove there or ride-shared there, and while they're waiting for traffic to thin out or for their Ubers to get down there.

I mentioned Uber/Lyft before, but here’s what I didn’t mention: cell phone service sucks at the Fair on that day. You can barely get a signal. Even if you have the best data plan on the planet, good luck getting a score update on ESPN, much less being able to successfully order an Uber/Lyft. And again, good luck to you finding your driver, and good luck to them getting out of there by their next birthday.

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

And there's nothing to do, no restaurants to wait it out, the Fair is closed, nothing but just co-exist with a bunch of drunk people, half of whom are livid they just lost to their biggest rival.  That recipe is way more fucking dangerous than this "Big & Scary South Dallas" bullshit, half-ass racist, myth that gets bandied about every year.  Logistics, fighting, and alcohol.  That's why there's no night game.  Pure and simple.  Has nothing to do with the nice people in that part of town who have been always incredibly hospitable and polite with me and my guests.  

Yeah I don’t lend much to that neighborhood crap either. I mean yeah there are gonna be a few knuckleheads that see that day as an opportunity to smash into your car and take shit, but if you base avoiding doing shit on that possibility existing, you’d have to live in a fenced compound. But even if Fair Park were located in the heart of Preston Hollow, the night game is still a terrible idea with all sorts of logistical nightmares and no real benefit to it. 

The adults in the room who make these decisions don’t even consider it, which again is why i say that suggestion is analogous to “JerryWorld!”

The Texas-OU game is a great tradition. There’s literally no point in fucking around with it. Let’s not put our Roger Goodell caps on here.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

The Texas-OU game is a great tradition. There’s literally no point in fucking around with it. Let’s not put our Roger Goodell caps on here.

Exactly.  Don't want to fuck around.  Don't want to find out.

TX-OU is a day game, always has been, always will be. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Exactly.  Don't want to fuck around.  Don't want to find out.

TX-OU is a day game, always has been, always will be. 

And as you look through the very rich collection of long-standing rivalry games, the greatest among them actually tend to be day games. That’s not to say that they absolutely have to be, but this idea that night time somehow enhances it is like putting spinning rims on a toaster.

42 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Good points.  Plus at 11pm (assuming a primetime start), that's a couple hundred thousand people.  tens of thousands of whom drove there or ride-shared there, and while they're waiting for traffic to thin out or for their Ubers to get down there.  And there's nothing to do, no restaurants to wait it out, the Fair is closed, nothing but just co-exist with a bunch of drunk people, half of whom are livid they just lost to their biggest rival.  That recipe is way more fucking dangerous than this "Big & Scary South Dallas" bullshit, half-ass racist, myth that gets bandied about every year.  Logistics, fighting, and alcohol.  That's why there's no night game.  Pure and simple.  Has nothing to do with the nice people in that part of town who have been always incredibly hospitable and polite with me and my guests.  

the stones are playing the cotton bowl this year.  there have been plenty of events at the cotton bowl at night.  the only issue I've ever had is 20 years ago I parked in a spot that a guy waved me(and plenty of others) into near an apt complex.  it was a tow scam.  sure I wouldn't likely be hanging around there at night and it does have more crime but with so many people and police around I doubt anything would happen.

the issue is the number of people leaving all at once after a 6PM kick.

the elementary school off E Grand near Haskell is my go to parking spot for years.  short walk to the stadium.